Confusion for consumers
1234Next >
7446 130 2017-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

A year ago I purchased a phantom 3 advanced and loved it. Six months ago I crashed it. Within an hour after the crash I went to 4 different stores to look at phantom 3 pros to make myself feel better.

I thought I was getting the best deal from bestbuy. There was only a phantom 3 advanced and the phantom 3 4k in stock. The sales rep told me the 4K was the pro and far better than the advanced.I was happy and purchased it. I then went to another store and purchased the dji backpack.

For six months I flew the p3 4K under the assumption it was the Pro version. In fact every flight I choose the p3 Pro version in the flight app to fly it.

Seven weeks ago the controller would not charge so I sent it in for repair. Week after week I was told it would take 3-5 more days for the repair. It was being repaired, then tested for days, quality assurance for days and pre shipping for days...

Finally I recieved the remote. It was a diffferent remote than I sent in and it was brand new. I tried everything under the sun to get it to work. I then called support, they informed me I do not own a p3 Pro version but instead the p3 4K version. They told me to send it back again. I was confused...

What we have here is a product that looks nearly identicle a Phantom 3 4K and a Phantom 3 Pro. I was entirely under the impression I purchased the Pro. I would never of purchased a drone that was not better than the p3 advanced I previously owned.

The phantom 3 4K is gold and white the same as the phantom 3 pro. Both are 4K. This was by far a serious confusion problem that dji created because even the salesperson at bestbuy thought it was a pro as well.

I was sold the drone and flew the drone the entire time under the assumption I had the pro model which was entirely not the case.

In fact what I purchased was a "downgrade" without any knowledge. This p3 4k goes only 1/3 of the distance the p3 pro goes. To top it all off I was told it is now discontinued.
It appears the drones follow this order:
Phantom 3 Standard
Phantom 3 4K (same as standard but a 4k camera?)
Phantom 3 Advanced
Phantom 3 Pro

I am very upset that this confusion was created by dji not colour coding and labelling products to not create confusion. If even sales people are confused it shows a serious problem has been created by dji.

Ive requested a senior DJI rep from China contact me but have not heard from them still. Ive also requested someone senior at dji in california to contact me and have not heard from anyone. This is a very serious issue which I feel was deceptive.

I would like to hear from someone immediately regarding this issue.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

What makes this even more concrete is the fact that in the Drone Flight App there is only 3 Phantom drones to choose to fly. The p3 standard, p3 advanced, and p3 pro. No 4K!!!
2017-4-10
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Doesn't the drone itself say specifically what it is?  It says it right above the camera right?    One says Phantom Standard, one says Phantom Advanced, one says Phantom Professional, one says Phantom 4K.
2017-4-10
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

Spend a few minutes researching products you are going to spend hundreds of dollars on before purchasing. Complain to Best Buy that their employees are incompetent. This concept is not unique to DJI.

You alone are responsible for understanding what you are purchasing.
2017-4-10
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

p3 4k is a p3 standard with a 4k camera.. p3 pro is an advanced with a 4k camera.... so u r actually a step up on the camera, but a step down on the drone...  to confirm if i am right... do u connect your tablet via cable as on advanced, or do you connect it via wifi to the drone? But i agree it is a bit confusing.. it really should be called p3s 4k.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

There are consumer laws protecting consumers against confusion in the US and Canada. Looking at a pro and 4K they have the same gold colour scheme and both are 4K... As a computer business owner for 15yrs even I was fooled by this.

Secondly if the 4K was listed in the flight app I would of known instantly by the order to choose from it wasnt as good as the advanced as far as distances go. Not even listed there... If you knew a 4K was not a pro, which drone would you chosen in the flight app?

Secondly I was told by the salesperson it was the pro version wth 4K.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

Phantomski Posted at 2017-4-10 11:04
p3 4k is a p3 standard with a 4k camera.. p3 pro is an advanced with a 4k camera.... so u r actually a step up on the camera, but a step down on the drone...  to confirm if i am right... do u connect your tablet via cable as on advanced, or do you connect it via wifi to the drone? But i agree it is a bit confusing.. it really should be called p3s 4k.

Wirelessly which I actually thought was an upgrade from the advanced not having to plug in to the controller which was more convenient. I absolutley was fooled by this, and am very mad :/.
2017-4-10
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansf96f54dc Posted at 2017-4-10 11:05
There are consumer laws protecting consumers against confusion in the US and Canada. Looking at a pro and 4K they have the same gold colour scheme and both are 4K... As a computer business owner for 15yrs even I was fooled by this.

Secondly if the 4K was listed in the flight app I would of known instantly by the order to choose from it wasnt as good as the advanced as far as distances go. Not even listed there... If you knew a 4K was not a pro, which drone would you chosen in the flight app?

There are no laws in the US that protect you from your own inability to understand.  Consumer protection laws are designed to protect people from scams, not multiple options they didn't spend the time researching.

My 13 year old son was not fooled by this.  I mention this only because of your "as a computer business owner" comment.

The app is not designed to assist you in your purchasing decision.  The fact your wanting an app that you access after purchase to rank their drones so you can confirm that you bought the best one is probably one of your biggest problems.  You want to research things before you buy them.

Considering your problem could have been completely prevented by 5 minutes of research using the internet, your complaint is without merit.

P.s. - This is not Best Buy's forum.  I would post your Best Buy complaints there.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

method007 Posted at 2017-4-10 10:56
Doesn't the drone itself say specifically what it is?  It says it right above the camera right?    One says Phantom Standard, one says Phantom Advanced, one says Phantom Professional, one says Phantom 4K.

It says Phantom 4K on a sticker 1/4" × 1" in gold on the front. The pro is 4K of course but "apparently" says professional.
2017-4-10
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansf96f54dc Posted at 2017-4-10 11:11
It says Phantom 4K on a sticker 1/4" × 1" in gold on the front. The pro is 4K of course but "apparently" says professional.

Gotcha.  It's also the only label on the drone right?  Placed right there in the front, right above the camera.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

method007 Posted at 2017-4-10 11:10
There are no laws in the US that protect you from your own inability to understand.  Consumer protection laws are designed to protect people from scams, not multiple options they didn't spend the time researching.

My 13 year old son was not fooled by this.  I mention this only because of your "as a computer business owner" comment.

You can not create confusion with products that would "lead a customer to believe" in purchasing a wrong product. You are wrong. As well the salesperson also helped assure me I was buying something better, a Pro.

Ive talked to two authorized dealers that sell and repaor these, and was reassured this was a problem DJI created. So confusing that even sales was confused.

Even right now if I visit the dji website and try and compare on their comparison page there is no "p3 4K" to compare with. It has p3 standard, p3 advanced, and p3 pro.

Plus the other kick in the gut it is discontinued. That made me furious even more.
Why did it get discontinued? Confusion likely?
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

Id like to also add it was $200 more than the advanced.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

Phantomski Posted at 2017-4-10 11:04

You are absolutely right it should of been called Phantom 3 standard 4k

Also standard has red stripes, advanced has silver, and pro has gold stripes.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

So here we have two drones at both ends of the spectrum both with gold stripes.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

method007 Posted at 2017-4-10 11:16
Gotcha.  It's also the only label on the drone right?  Placed right there in the front, right above the camera.

Yes but both drones are 4K
2017-4-10
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansf96f54dc Posted at 2017-4-10 11:19
You can not create confusion with products that would "lead a customer to believe" in purchasing a wrong product. You are wrong. As well the salesperson also helped assure me I was buying something better, a Pro.

Ive talked to two authorized dealers that sell and repaor these, and was reassured this was a problem DJI created. So confusing that even sales was confused.

They offer multiple products.  All are completely explained on their website.  Nothing is hidden or confusing about it.  Again, your inability to understand and lack of research before purchase is a separate issue and does not reflect on DJI or any other company you have problems with.  

You spoke to two other people and they agreed with you that DJI, who provides a clear explanation for all of their products on their website, created a "problem" by offering multiple products?  I doubt that.

Without trying to be rude, your inability to find the P3 4K on DJI's website further reflects on your own inability to search for something.  http://www.dji.com/phantom3-4k

Products are discontinued by companies when they no longer make enough money - or they can make more money using that money for something else.  It's actually how every product every designed in the history of time ends.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

method007 Posted at 2017-4-10 11:30
They offer multiple products.  All are completely explained on their website.  Nothing is hidden or confusing about it.  Again, your inability to understand and lack of research before purchase is a separate issue and does not reflect on DJI or any other company you have problems with.  

You spoke to two other people and they agreed with you that DJI, who provides a clear explanation for all of their products on their website, created a "problem" by offering multiple products?  I doubt that.

I can find the same page you posted. I have to be searching for the p3 4K. Not the pro with 4K. As well you didnt confirm that on their comparison page it is in fact NOT included.

Secondly I would like to ask you, if you purchased the 4K which drone would you choose to fly it with in the app section? Standard, advanced or pro?
2017-4-10
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

method007 Posted at 2017-4-10 11:10

"There are no laws in the US that protect you from your own inability to understand."

I doubt this.
Put together a dumb woman, a hot coffee from Mc Donalds and a lawyer.

2017-4-10
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-10 11:46
"There are no laws in the US that protect you from your own inability to understand."

I doubt this.

Although I get your point I have to add that the coffee was so hot her vagina cauterized itself closed.  That lawsuit is why you can no longer be handled a 185 degree (minimum) cup of coffee.  Coffee so hot it INSTANTLY will melt your skin.  Coffee is now served at a much more reasonable 135 degrees.  That lawsuit had nothing to do with stupidity and everything to do with consumer safety.  She should have been awarded substantially more money.

2017-4-10
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansf96f54dc Posted at 2017-4-10 11:39
I can find the same page you posted. I have to be searching for the p3 4K. Not the pro with 4K. As well you didnt confirm that on their comparison page it is in fact NOT included.

Secondly I would like to ask you, if you purchased the 4K which drone would you choose to fly it with in the app section? Standard, advanced or pro?

Yes so it's not on the comparison page, you have to click on a different page to read about it..  So what?  

The app choses the drone you're flying for you.  You don't choose it manually.
2017-4-10
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansf96f54dc Posted at 2017-4-10 11:25
So here we have two drones at both ends of the spectrum both with gold stripes.

Yes, with different names.  Different web pages.  Different easily explained stats.  I noticed you seem to be hung on the color thing.  That's just a color.  Don't let it confuse you.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

method007 Posted at 2017-4-10 11:51
Yes so it's not on the comparison page, you have to click on a different page to read about it..  So what?  

Its always used PRO
2017-4-10
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

fansf96f54dc Posted at 2017-4-10 11:39

I have to say I'm sorry for your mislead direction from the Best Buy rep. They obviously didn't give you the right info or weren't educated enough. I would also agree you need to know what you are looking for. I understand you went in the store for advise, but you need to understand before you pull the trigger on what exactly you are buying.
If you look at DJI's website it is very clear.
Phantom 3 Standard, Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 3 Advanced, Phantom 3 4K.
I would agree that the 4k should not be listed at the end of the list.....somewhat misleading too I think, but there is no mention of a 4K pro. You have been given advise, but you should know that the Advanced and the Professional use the Lightbridge and the RC has 2-antenna. The Standard uses wireless and has only 1-antenna. The Lightbridge is the best as far a communication is concerned and much better range than the wireless signal. The Advanced and the Professional are exactly the same machine, except for the 4K camera on the Professional.....and of course a few bucks more.
As far as the app is concerned, it should be picking up your correct model and you shouldn't be forced to pick your model. If so, something isn't working like it is intended. I have repaired and worked on a number of phantoms for other people, and I use my own tablet a lot and it always picks the right model that I am working on. I do feel for you and hope you get some resolution and can get back into the air soon.
2017-4-10
Use props
nilmaster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232707 ft
United States

fansf96f54dc Posted at 2017-4-10 11:22
Id like to also add it was $200 more than the advanced.

If you PAID $200.00 more, you PAID for the DJI 3 Pro. But the BESTBUY salesperson gave you the wrong inventory (DJI 3 4k).

The DJI P4k cost less then the DJI 3 Adv.  Question what does your sale slip from Best Buy have on it?
2017-4-10
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-4-10 11:58
I have to say I'm sorry for your mislead direction from the Best Buy rep. They obviously didn't give you the right info or weren't educated enough. I would also agree you need to know what you are looking for. I understand you went in the store for advise, but you need to understand before you pull the trigger on what exactly you are buying.

I just saw nilmaster's post and he is exactly right! Yes for sure the PRO is more money. Look at your receipt. Maybe they did give you the wrong one!
2017-4-10
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The way DJI names it's products is sometimes clumsy for sure.
It' s the same with P4P and P4P+.
Even here in the forum it's confusing. The "+" is easily overseen.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-4-10 11:58

Thanks for your understanding. It chooses pro in the app for each flight.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

nilmaster Posted at 2017-4-10 11:59
If you PAID $200.00 more, you PAID for the DJI 3 Pro. But the BESTBUY salesperson gave you the wrong inventory (DJI 3 4k).

The DJI P4k cost less then the DJI 3 Adv.  Question what does your sale slip from Best Buy have on it?

Will have receipt in 24hrs
2017-4-10
Use props
JackOO7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2280 ft
Finland

The phantom 3 4K is gold and white but it does have severe quality issues.
Not working, not good advertising. Bad experiences is no good for anyone.
One  ex-DJI-customer
-Just my 5cent-
2017-4-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fansf96f54dc Posted at 2017-4-10 12:22
Thanks for your understanding. It chooses pro in the app for each flight.

Just to clarify, was it distinguishing itself as the P3 Professional in the Go app, or this third party DroneFlight app? When using the Go app, the former shouldn't be possible, I would not be able to attest to the other app. I understand your frustration when it comes to how Best Buy sold you the 4K, but at the same time DJI does put distinct labeling on their products to let you know what you're getting. A Phantom 3 Professional has "Professional" in it main packaging title and the badge. When shopping around for a specific product, one would want to ensure that they are watching out for the appropriate specs to ensure they are getting the right product. In regards to color, it really does not mean much, as you can put whatever colored stickers you want from the color assortment you get.

Like others have mentioned, if you were sold a "P3 Professional" on your receipt, it could have been a simple stock mistake on their end and it could be rectified through them. If you were sold and provided a P3 4K, then you had received what you paid for.

Just to verify what was done during your last service you had with DJI, could you please provide your case number so I can look into it?
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-10 15:06
Just to clarify, was it distinguishing itself as the P3 Professional in the Go app, or this third party DroneFlight app? When using the Go app, the former shouldn't be possible, I would not be able to attest to the other app. I understand your frustration when it comes to how Best Buy sold you the 4K, but at the same time DJI does put distinct labeling on their products to let you know what you're getting. A Phantom 3 Professional has "Professional" in it main packaging title and the badge. When shopping around for a specific product, one would want to ensure that they are watching out for the appropriate specs to ensure they are getting the right product. In regards to color, it really does not mean much, as you can put whatever colored stickers you want from the color assortment you get.

Like others have mentioned, if you were sold a "P3 Professional" on your receipt, it could have been a simple stock mistake on their end and it could be rectified through them. If you were sold and provided a P3 4K, then you had received what you paid for.

Just to clarify it does in fact use the Go App as a Pro. Secondly Im still furious even if the receipt does show 4K. Both the Pro and 4K look identical colour scheme and all. The phantom 3 4K and the pro are too similar to cause confusion to both sales and customers. I wouldnt be here complaining if I hadnt experienced this mess. Why are the standard, advanced, and pro seperate colours? To differentiate them. But the gold striped 4K and the gold striped professional not only look the same they also both have 4K cameras. Ive been using the go app from dji with the p3 Pro settings all this time. Infuriating.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

Ive left an urgent request for a manager at dji California and emailed dji hq in China to contact me in regards to this. Noone has called me.

Anytime I tried to call today I was #20-30 in the que. I want to hear from a representitive regarding this.
2017-4-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansf96f54dc Posted at 2017-4-10 15:40
Ive left an urgent request for a manager at dji California and emailed dji hq in China to contact me in regards to this. Noone has called me.

Anytime I tried to call today I was #20-30 in the que. I want to hear from a representitive regarding this.

Your problem is with Best Buy (and yourself).
It's got nothing to do with DJI.

It's interesting that you flew the P3-4K for 6 months and never wondered about why the R/C looked different from the one in the manual or why it had crappy wireless rather than the Lightbridge you experienced with your Advanced??
2017-4-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fansf96f54dc Posted at 2017-4-10 15:27
Just to clarify it does in fact use the Go App as a Pro. Secondly Im still furious even if the receipt does show 4K. Both the Pro and 4K look identical colour scheme and all. The phantom 3 4K and the pro are too similar to cause confusion to both sales and customers. I wouldnt be here complaining if I hadnt experienced this mess. Why are the standard, advanced, and pro seperate colours? To differentiate them. But the gold striped 4K and the gold striped professional not only look the same they also both have 4K cameras. Ive been using the go app from dji with the p3 Pro settings all this time. Infuriating.

If was reading as a P3 Professional, then there may be something amiss. It would be preferred to receive your case number so it can be better looked into. Just to make sure I'm on the same page, you're currently sending back the RC to have it replaced with what is expected to be the appropriate one, correct?

As far as the 'colors' are concerned, it was tied to the hierarchy of camera quality more than anything else than the type of aircraft (lightbridge or WiFi). Initially, the P3 Advanced with its silver stickers on the packaging only went as high as 1080P in resolution when it initially came out. The P3 Pro was gold to signify 4K. After some time, the P3 Standard came out with 2.7K capabilities, which they decided to go with the red stickers for presentation since it was a 'beefier' version of the older P2 Vision Plus. The last model of the P3 series to come out was the 4K, which still followed the gold stickers in presentation because it was also 4K. This is the route that marketing decided to take at that point.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

Labroides Posted at 2017-4-10 16:04
Your problem is with Best Buy (and yourself).
It's got nothing to do with DJI.

You are totally wrong. I dont blame the sales rep for making this mistake because it is now obvious it is by far too similar. I had nothing to compare a pro remote to. I believed I owned a pro model until 5 days ago. I flew it locally and havent left my property with it.
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-10 16:11
If was reading as a P3 Professional, then there may be something amiss. It would be preferred to receive your case number so it can be better looked into. Just to make sure I'm on the same page, you're currently sending back the RC to have it replaced with what is expected to be the appropriate one, correct?

As far as the 'colors' are concerned, it was tied to the hierarchy of camera quality more than anything else than the type of aircraft (lightbridge or WiFi). Initially, the P3 Advanced with its silver stickers on the packaging only went as high as 1080P in resolution when it initially came out. The P3 Pro was gold to signify 4K. After some time, the P3 Standard came out with 2.7K capabilities, which they decided to go with the red stickers for presentation since it was a 'beefier' version of the older P2 Vision Plus. The last model of the P3 series to come out was the 4K, which still followed the gold stickers in presentation because it was also 4K. This is the route that marketing decided to take at that point.

You are exactly right. R/C has been sent and is in transit via UPS. How can I provide you the case #? If I post publicly it makes it anyones business to log in and see it. Can I send to you privately?

After crashing my p3 advanced originaly I by no means wanted to downgrade with a replacement that was not better than I previously had. I wanted to have more fun with a better drone. I love DJI drones dont get me wrong. Had the two drones been color coded and advertised differently I would of had no problem getting the correct drone.

For those wondering how my first phantom 3  advanced crashed originally, it did a return to home while in trees and went up tangled then crashed to the ground. Wont do that again...

My best friend recently purchased the mavic pro and thought it would be great to get out with him and my pro so I could keep up to him and have fun after my r/c is repaired. But just finding out 5 days ago I have a standard with a 4K camera sucks!!!
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-10 16:11

CAS-454259-K3T2T8
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

Second case # for sending it back to you:
CAS-559338-Q8V6P0
2017-4-10
Use props
fansf96f54dc
lvl.1

Canada

Knowing what I have now, I decided to investigate further. I used the googledotca from Canada. I searched bestbuydotca phantom 3 4K and then phantom 3 pro

Both items on the canadian best buy site look identical (pro and 4k). The 4K is 849$ and the pro is $999. Both ads also have 4K in bold on the ads. Very very confusing even more to some.
2017-4-10
Use props
Helimage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144140 ft
Finland

It takes a minute to google the differences between models. It's not DJI's fault that some shops lack the most basic of information. I would never, ever listen to a salesman in any case, be it a drone or a TV.
2017-4-10
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules