Is Mavic Pro worth buying (considering falling Mavics and weak CS)?
5104 8 2017-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rafal007
lvl.1

Poland

hi,

first post here, but have been reading since few days - want to buy myself Mavic Pro, but reading about those cases that Mavics just fall from the sky on the ground or ocean/ lake and very bad DJI customer service make me think if it's really worth to buy DJI...

$1300 is really a lot of cash to me and want to review all the options before making purchase - is it worth buying, as a 1st drone?
i would like to use it in the mountains to shoot freeride skiing, mountain biking and also to film us while sailing.

what do you think?

thanks!
2017-4-11
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

what do you think?

I think the Mavic is by far the best choice for anybody who wants an outstanding drone and for whom price and portability are very important. On the other hand, if you can spend a little more, portability's not as important, and / or you want better video / photo capabilities then you should consider a Phantom 4 Pro instead.
2017-4-11
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

For the uses you describe, the Mavic is ideal. It's not the few you read about on the forums, it's the many thousands of Mavics out there that never have issues.
2017-4-11
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Check this thread: Enough of Mavic Horror Stories, any 90% satisfied pilots?
2017-4-11
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Buy a cheap drone like a syma first and fly that for a little bit before you decide to buy a Mavic.

The Mavic is at a price where it becomes the first drone for alot of beginners (most of them are the one with fly aways and problems caused by inexperienced users).
2017-4-11
Use props
Shamus
lvl.1
United States

Do it. It's hard to describe how cool it is, and sure there are concerns but you can proceed fairly safely using the knowledge gained here.

My Mavic had the camera blur defect. I was having so much damn fun flying the thing for almost a week I didn't notice it, not until viewing the footage on my iMac. This ended up kind of screwing me, so now we know, inspect your Mavic when you get it. Before you fly it. If there is a scratch, they will not warranty it.

As far as I can tell, if there is any defect, and you haven't scratched it, they will always accommodate you, albeit very slowly right now.

Dji is being crushed by the Mavic, they will adapt and grow. It is expensive as you mentioned, and as they thought of when projecting sales, but it's worth it, and people figured that out.

They just sent me a survey (that has a pretty weak prize incentive DJI, seriously) about email support, which for me has been just fine, if not helpful and speedy. Online chat is another beast altogether. The survey is a clue that they at least care enough to send out a survey, we will see if they listen to the replies...

A quote from my reply to the survey.

"Your products are crazy awesome, and because of that, people WANT to love this company. Once a person gets a controller in their hand, they have to have one. Well, we are the ones out there putting our controllers in hands turning spectators into customers. It is really in your best interest to keep us content. It won't take much. I'll say it again, people want to love this company, you're just making it really hard for them."

2017-4-11
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Shamus Posted at 2017-4-11 08:32
Do it. It's hard to describe how cool it is, and sure there are concerns but you can proceed fairly safely using the knowledge gained here.

My Mavic had the camera blur defect. I was having so much damn fun flying the thing for almost a week I didn't notice it, not until viewing the footage on my iMac. This ended up kind of screwing me, so now we know, inspect your Mavic when you get it. Before you fly it. If there is a scratch, they will not warranty it.

inspect your Mavic when you get it. Before you fly it. If there is a scratch, they will not warranty it.

Good post and a great suggestion. I'm sorry that you learned it the hard way.
2017-4-11
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I think the Mavic is the best drone of this class (and there's no comparison if you like me want to take the drone to remote areas) but it's excellent advice to get your feet wet with something like Hubsan 107c or Syma.  This will make your success with the Mavic much more likely.
2017-4-11
Use props
rafal007
lvl.1

Poland

thanks guys for your recommendations, really appreciate it i think it's good advice to buy cheap drone just to practice, will look aroud for sth like that.

regarding my concerns about mavic - just looked around this MAVIC subforum, all newest posts include horrible experience with DJI support, crashed mavics on first flight, people waiting several months to get their drone back (not even flying once as mavic came with factory faults) - it just scares me to see so many mavic broken even from factory, and very very bad DJI support, all those refurbs stories instead of new drones.

makes me think if it's really worth all this time and frustration, especially when i'm located in Poland EU so we don't have such nice support level as in the US and even in US DIJ support sucks....

please convince me ;)
2017-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules