Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Used my P4 to film a gorgeous model's video!
1497 10 2017-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BattleDamage
lvl.1
United States

This was for a Youtube channel I am a part of. I got the chance to pilot my Phantom 4 to record a model's video shoot. I was a bit nervous and of course it was a windy day... Thankfully she was really professional and patient. I would love to hear your feedback, enjoy!!

2017-4-12
Use props
BattleDamage
lvl.1
United States

No responses, does that mean I didn't do a good job? Please give some constructive criticism. Thanks!
2017-4-12
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

I like that your flight and pans were very smooth considering that it was windy.

Not sure the setting was very complimentary. Would rather the location to be either natural or perhaps even grundgy but that park with houses was a bit meh.

The light was not well thought out and her face was often in shadow.

Some of the crops were neither close up or whole body. When someone is cut off at the knees it does not look right.

The whole video could do with some post production. The monochrome section is very flat and lacking in contrast which makes it look weak.

Maybe some stills from unusual angles could have been taken and edited into the video.

2017-4-12
Use props
Callatis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Nice video!
2017-4-13
Use props
Augustus Brian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

BattleDamage:

Concept as executed, technically, worked. Object was to attempt to reach for/achieve a cinematic look.
But only technically, utilizing slo-mo as major tool in that regard.

Improvements:

Location, location, location. Hills, water, trees, etc. Ever see a model in a cornfield?
Lighting: If outside, shoot at golden hours, with reflectors for some shots.
Skip the sepia.

But my major issue is: It's a drone, so elevate. All of these shots could have been done with a OSMO on a selfie stick. And the likely reason is that models (actually people) aren't captured in the best way when filmed from above. So you had to keep the drone in the vertical model zone, near, or a bit above eye-level. For the drone to do what it does (fly above, look down), your model would need to be reclining. Otherwise, the angle is unflattering, unless skull and shoulders is your thing.

So try again: find some scenery, wait till dawn or sunset, then combine some OSMO shots with some P4 swoops, backouts, twirling descenders & risers, and of course, some slow zooms. With your model reposed. If your model does stand/walk, then you could manage to employ a descending foreground reveal, but.....

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-4-13
Use props
PaulL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23898 ft
United States

Great concept, when shooting models, keep in mind what and how it will be used in final output. You could have shot some of that handheld and spent more time with the lighting. Simple backlighting later in the day with a soft warn fill helps a lot. Be sure to have a fill card on the ground in front of her when you do for the tighter shots. Your model did a pretty good job with the poses. If she is going to be talking, get her miced up.
2017-4-14
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Flying around a model close with a super wide-angle lens isn't flattering, imho, leaving the dangerous nearby flying Ginsu Cutlery aside.  I'm basing that on me being a fat slob and if I am near the P4 camera lens I graduate from being a fat slob to super-obese even fatter slob.

Probably better to use an Inspire 2 with a X5S camera with a 45mm lens (Which would be a 90mm lens on a 35mm camera.).  Might slim them down a bit and be safer too as the drone would be further away.

Microphone comment above was spot on too.  Get it closer.
2017-4-14
Use props
BattleDamage
lvl.1
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-4-12 19:51
I like that your flight and pans were very smooth considering that it was windy.

Not sure the setting was very complimentary. Would rather the location to be either natural or perhaps even grundgy but that park with houses was a bit meh.

"I like that your flight and pans were very smooth considering that it was windy."
Thanks, it was a challenge. Some of footage was unusable, but overall the Phantom worked it's magic!

"Not sure the setting was very complimentary. Would rather the location to be either natural or perhaps even grundgy but that park with houses was a bit meh."

I 100% agree. It was the location that was choosen and I had to work with it. I recommended in the future we go to a park or large field.

"The light was not well thought out and her face was often in shadow."

I agree, The time of day had the sun pretty low with harsh lighting. I did shoot in D-Log mode, but I don't think their editor really knew how to work with it.

"Some of the crops were neither close up or whole body. When someone is cut off at the knees it does not look right."

I somewhat agree, cutting off at the knees is not always bad in my opinion.  

"The whole video could do with some post production. The monochrome section is very flat and lacking in contrast which makes it look weak."

I agree, I believe the editor did not know how to work with D-Log.

"Maybe some stills from unusual angles could have been taken and edited into the video."

That's an interesting idea, not sure if they wanted stills. I'll bring it up next time, thanks!
2017-4-16
Use props
BattleDamage
lvl.1
United States

Thank you! It was my first try on filming a person instead of a landscape.
2017-4-16
Use props
BattleDamage
lvl.1
United States

Augustus Brian Posted at 2017-4-13 10:04
BattleDamage:

Concept as executed, technically, worked. Object was to attempt to reach for/achieve a cinematic look.

"Location, location, location. Hills, water, trees, etc. Ever see a model in a cornfield?
Lighting: If outside, shoot at golden hours, with reflectors for some shots.
Skip the sepia."

I agree, it was the location choosen by the producer. I durning the shoot I mentioned that the location isn't the greatest. I recommended next time that they find a large field.

"But my major issue is: It's a drone, so elevate. All of these shots could have been done with a OSMO on a selfie stick. And the likely reason is that models (actually people) aren't captured in the best way when filmed from above. So you had to keep the drone in the vertical model zone, near, or a bit above eye-level. For the drone to do what it does (fly above, look down), your model would need to be reclining. Otherwise, the angle is unflattering, unless skull and shoulders is your thing."

This was one of the hardest parts. Trying to get flattering shots in the location. Elevating resulted in seeing the home's backyards. Next time should be better since I recommended an open area.

"So try again: find some scenery, wait till dawn or sunset, then combine some OSMO shots with some P4 swoops, backouts, twirling descenders & risers, and of course, some slow zooms. With your model reposed. If your model does stand/walk, then you could manage to employ a descending foreground reveal, but....."

Their intention was to create a video shoot with only a drone, it was an experimental idea. So, OSMO shots were out of the questions. Next time should be a better, open location with elevation!

2017-4-16
Use props
BattleDamage
lvl.1
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-4-14 08:08
Flying around a model close with a super wide-angle lens isn't flattering, imho, leaving the dangerous nearby flying Ginsu Cutlery aside.  I'm basing that on me being a fat slob and if I am near the P4 camera lens I graduate from being a fat slob to super-obese even fatter slob.

Probably better to use an Inspire 2 with a X5S camera with a 45mm lens (Which would be a 90mm lens on a 35mm camera.).  Might slim them down a bit and be safer too as the drone would be further away.

Thank you for your input! The good news is that the Phantom 4's obstacle avoidance was spot on and did it's job perfectly.
2017-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules