966 7 2017-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geoffz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Had the Osmo+ for a month or so but only used it this past weekend for work.

After seeing the footage (as well as others), the gimbal, unfortunately, has a bouncy quality to it.

This necessitates post production stabilization which, I feel should not be necessary.

Yes, I've read/seen the ninja walk, etc...but imo...if this is to be considered a professional camera, used for professional work...the (3 axis) GIMBAL needs to be upgraded.

The Mavic gets buffeted about by winds but stays relatively stable (yes, with the help from GPS)...perhaps...that's what the Osmo needs.

Surly, the engineers can make some tweeks that would improve gimbal performance.

I know the z-axis adapter helps...but why have to purchase another contraption to solve what should have been fixed initially.

2017-4-12
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187595 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you're confused about what a 3-axis gimbal does.
2017-4-12
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RoomierPanda Posted at 2017-4-12 21:26
I think you're confused about what a 3-axis gimbal does.

Confused?

How's that?

I tested and shot with it and know exactly what it does.

I stand by my assessment of the 3 axis gimbal and its shortcomings.

2017-4-13
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

The osmo does not stabilize in the Z axis.  That's the bounce you see.

The cameras c.g is not in an optimal place to control all flavors of stabilization. This is why a full rig body worn stabilizer works well..its designed to pull the c.g. of the camera to the yoke/gimbal which allows  the operator to precisely control x/y/z axis all from the nodal point (the gmbal in this case).

Even when wearing a full size stabilizer , you cant just walk regular. You have to walk a specific way to keep horizon bounce out of the equation. You have to stand a certain way, static and dynamic balance the sled, etc. that's the nature of these body worn stabilization systems.

Yes you will have to walk a certain way (you call it ninja) to minimize bounce in the Z axis.

Based on posts I've seen you comment in , you are well aware of the Z axis product DJI produce. It DOES help with the bounce and is worth the money if you want to get better images out of the osmo, but one needs to understand the limitations this tiny system has and work within those limitations.

With practice, you CAN get better images worth less bounce if you use the "ninja" walk. If you use the Z axis product, tune the spring properly, PLUS the ninja walk, i think you will be impressed at the images you can get.

Everythhing has limits, and yes this product is not perfect (no product on the market is). The key is learning the limits and working within them. Like i said in another post, its 90% operator, 10% gear.
2017-4-14
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Malaysia

".....if this is to be considered a professional camera, used for professional work...the (3 axis) GIMBAL needs to be upgraded."
I'm not sure the Osmo+ was ever intended to be "professional" grade kit, not at this price point. It's more "pro-sumer". Not perfect, but beats the heck out of hand-held 4k video on phones or camcorders.
2017-4-14
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Salty777 Posted at 2017-4-14 06:10
".....if this is to be considered a professional camera, used for professional work...the (3 axis) GIMBAL needs to be upgraded."
I'm not sure the Osmo+ was ever intended to be "professional" grade kit, not at this price point. It's more "pro-sumer". Not perfect, but beats the heck out of hand-held 4k video on phones or camcorders.

Rather than in invest in more gear to compensate for shortcomings, post processing seems to work well.  I hope they continue to improve the product including the addition of audio (AGC) controls.  For what I do that would be a monumental time saver.
2017-4-15
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187595 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's not a shortcoming though... It's a 3 axis gimbal. It stabilizes the camera on  3 axes, and does exactly what it says it can. If you want to spend an extra $100, then you can upgrade the camera to be stabilized on 4 axes. Pretty simple.
2017-4-18
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

If you hold your osmo in a torch mode, it would definitely help. Agreed with other commentator, z axis is what you want. But it is not cover in Osmo 's design. Neither in other gimbal design.
2017-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules