Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does IMU Calibration fix the side blur on the Mavic?
2422 24 2017-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iFlyKid
lvl.2
United States

So, I contacted support today about my mavic having side blurs as someone from the community pointed it out from a video I uploaded in February. They told me to do an IMU calibration, has anyone done this and had luck with it to resolve the infamous side blurs? I'll hate to ship it to a repair center since I'm going to california in May 6th so I don't believe I'll have much time to do the complete turn around.
2017-4-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

If by "side blur" you mean being out of focus on one side or the other, I don't recall anyone fixing that with any sort of calibration, much less IMU. I'd guess that the camera being unable to focus on one side or the other would be a hardware problem that would have to be fixed by DJI, but in any case I don't believe anyone has claimed that a calibration fixed it for them.
2017-4-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please upload some original images or videos to dropbox then send me the link?
I'll help to check it.
Besides, what's your current firmware version?
2017-4-13
Use props
iFlyKid
lvl.2
United States

Hi Mindy, the latest firmware was the one for February at the time of filming. I recently updated the firmware up-to-date but I haven't had a chance to fly it ever since February. Especially since I live in New York City it's extremely hard to find a place to fly it outdoors. I have a video that I uploaded on youtube, the only thing that was edited on that video was cutting the clips into many different clips and using transition fades. None-the-less you can see the issue if you look closely to the left side and sometimes on the right.

You can see the blurs on left side of the screen, practically the entire time.
2017-4-13
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

There's no way on earth an IMU calibration would fix a blurred focus, the IMU control's(or senses rather) the mavics flight, visual aspects are down to another processor. So calibrating it wont effect anything.... i really do wonder what the support channels are there for sometimes, DJI should put more technical staff on support chat/email (we're lucky to have DJI-Ken, DJI-Mindy etc on the forums, in a way)
2017-4-13
Use props
iFlyKid
lvl.2
United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2017-4-13 12:02
There's no way on earth an IMU calibration would fix a blurred focus, the IMU control's(or senses rather) the mavics flight, visual aspects are down to another processor. So calibrating it wont effect anything.... i really do wonder what the support channels are there for sometimes, DJI should put more technical staff on support chat/email (we're lucky to have DJI-Ken, DJI-Mindy etc on the forums, in a way)

Yea, I'm itching to return this drone back to DJI. The problem is I have a trip on May and I waited too long to return it.
2017-4-13
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Remember there was a guy on the forum that claimed IMU fixed the blur on his mavic. Remember that thread. It couldn't hurt to try, do both the gimbal and IMU on the same level spot while cold. It all looks equally blurry to me on some of the footage. Maybe turn off afc and try manual focus and post a 4k 30 clip. I did see the blur on the right side with trees but looked at center and it was out of focus there too.

I wouldn't be so quick to send it in without trying everything. It's not consistent in that clip.
2017-4-13
Use props
iFlyKid
lvl.2
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-13 12:16
Remember there was a guy on the forum that claimed IMU fixed the blur on his mavic. Remember that thread. It couldn't hurt to try, do both the gimbal and IMU on the same level spot while cold. It all looks equally blurry to me on some of the footage. Maybe turn off afc and try manual focus and post a 4k 30 clip. I did see the blur on the right side with trees but looked at center and it was out of focus there too.

I wouldn't be so quick to send it in without trying everything. It's not consistent in that clip.

At 2:55 and forward I can't see any blur, so I'm not sure what's going on. But I'll try your recommendation and see if that fixes it. Problem is, I don't have a spot to actually fly the damn thing without falling into all kinds of FAA laws in NYC. Idk if filming indoors can work...?
2017-4-13
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

I don't know if it's my 100Mb line,...but i tried to look at your footage, but somehow Youtube is buggy or your footage is causing it.
Maybe the blur is also caused by the Youtube compression.
I also think that DJI Mindy is asking for the original footage in a dropbox to exclude the compression error.
2017-4-13
Use props
mmee
lvl.3
United States

I tried IMU calibration and resetting camera setting a number of times but it came down to me having to send it in for repair. DJI replaced the entire unit and I received a tracking number today. They received my drone on March 20th and I got the return tracking number today so hopefully I should have it back tomorrow. 23 day turnaround. You might have time maybe not. I wouldn't risk flying it any more though personally because if you crash it they won't fix the camera under warranty.
2017-4-13
Use props
iFlyKid
lvl.2
United States

Mindy, I uploaded the files via mediafire due to the computer that can accept a SD card is my parent's iMac and I didn't install dropbox on their computer so, I'll link you those files momentarily. So here's the status. I did the IMU calibration as told, I did a camera gimble calibration. I updated the firmware to the latest firmware. I did a short video filming outside my apartment window and took pictures. It seems that the issue is still persistent as the blur on the upper left side is visible. Guess that means I'll ship this one straight to DJI for repair under warranty.
2017-4-13
Use props
iFlyKid
lvl.2
United States

mmee Posted at 2017-4-13 14:11
I tried IMU calibration and resetting camera setting a number of times but it came down to me having to send it in for repair. DJI replaced the entire unit and I received a tracking number today. They received my drone on March 20th and I got the return tracking number today so hopefully I should have it back tomorrow. 23 day turnaround. You might have time maybe not. I wouldn't risk flying it any more though personally because if you crash it they won't fix the camera under warranty.

Question mmee, did you ship the Mavic with the battery and the propellers? Did you also ship it with the original box? How do I go by shipping my unit?
2017-4-13
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

I have had blurry left side also ever since i got the mavic. No IMU calibration or anything is going to fix this.. Im just coming out of winter and will be flying next week after not being able to fly for the last 3 months...So if i notice the same problems, i'll be opening a case with DJI.
2017-4-13
Use props
iFlyKid
lvl.2
United States

I don't know why. But this really ticked me.

The guy goes and ask me if I had DJI refresh like I'm actually going to let them consume my DJI refresh for a problem on their end lol.

"That's for DJI to determine" whether it's a customer error or a manufacture error. LOL! please.
2017-4-13
Use props
mmee
lvl.3
United States

iFlyKid Posted at 2017-4-13 14:30
Question mmee, did you ship the Mavic with the battery and the propellers? Did you also ship it with the original box? How do I go by shipping my unit?

I shipped without battery and props. They just want the controller and the mavic itself. I sent the mavic with the gimbal lock and the cover. I accidentally left my SD card in there so who knows if I will get that back. Probably not considering I got a new unit.
2017-4-13
Use props
mmee
lvl.3
United States

iFlyKid Posted at 2017-4-13 16:16

[view_image]

Lol they are supposed to expedite your handling if you have care refresh. Even if they are not going to use care refresh for your Mavic.
2017-4-13
Use props
iFlyKid
lvl.2
United States

mmee Posted at 2017-4-13 16:27
Lol they are supposed to expedite your handling if you have care refresh. Even if they are not going to use care refresh for your Mavic.

Ah gotcha, didn't know that. I got offensive quickly since I thought they assumed it's a problem on my end.
2017-4-13
Use props
Acciaro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139085 ft
Latvia

iFlyKid,

Do you remove gimbal cover while filming?
2017-4-13
Use props
iFlyKid
lvl.2
United States

Acciaro Posted at 2017-4-13 17:09
iFlyKid,

Do you remove gimbal cover while filming?

I don't film with the gimbal cover on. It's nothing related to that. It's a manufacture problem many people are experiencing.
2017-4-13
Use props
poliakov
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94639 ft
United States

Ya based on your video looks similar to what I had.
There are some more definitive tests you can do - like put the drone staring out the window and record video as you very slowly adjust manual focus. You should see a disparity in the lens. Since the drone isnt moving, this sort of test takes all gimbal/compass/motor/vibration issues out of the equation. Nothing really worked satisfactorily for me and I sent mine back.
A log of my trials: http://forum.dji.com/thread-87429-1-1.html
2017-4-13
Use props
iFlyKid
lvl.2
United States

poliakov Posted at 2017-4-13 17:54
Ya based on your video looks similar to what I had.
There are some more definitive tests you can do - like put the drone staring out the window and record video as you very slowly adjust manual focus. You should see a disparity in the lens. Since the drone isnt moving, this sort of test takes all gimbal/compass/motor/vibration issues out of the equation. Nothing really worked satisfactorily for me and I sent mine back.
A log of my trials: http://forum.dji.com/thread-87429-1-1.html

Yea that was my final test and I did exactly that. I stuck my drone out the window took a picture and recorded a video and it was apparent there was a blurry left side. I also auto-focused and it went back to being blurry. I'm not sure if DJI has fixed this issue on their newest Mavic in their production but this is just highly annoying.
2017-4-13
Use props
poliakov
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94639 ft
United States

iFlyKid Posted at 2017-4-13 18:10
Yea that was my final test and I did exactly that. I stuck my drone out the window took a picture and recorded a video and it was apparent there was a blurry left side. I also auto-focused and it went back to being blurry. I'm not sure if DJI has fixed this issue on their newest Mavic in their production but this is just highly annoying.

I don't believe this affects all Mavics. Some are clearly fine. I believe its a manufacturing defect. Somewhere there are machines that assemble these cameras and some come out fine, others come out slightly crooked. That seems to make the most sense - but it's just a guess. I wish someone from DJI would explain further...
2017-4-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

iFlyKid Posted at 2017-4-13 16:16

[view_image]

I'm sorry for that.
After sending it in, our engineers will help to evaluate your drone.
If it's manufacturing defect, we will take care of it.
And I have replied to your PM.  Thank you for your understanding.
2017-4-13
Use props
iFlyKid
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-13 18:49
I'm sorry for that.
After sending it in, our engineers will help to evaluate your drone.
If it's manufacturing defect, we will take care of it.

Mindy will the turn-around be before May 6th or is that pushing it?
2017-4-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

iFlyKid Posted at 2017-4-13 19:09
Mindy will the turn-around be before May 6th or is that pushing it?

I cannot promise that. If there are backlogs, the case will be little delayed.
Normally, the turnaround time is about 2 weeks after been received at the facility.
If you have any further query about your case, please feel free to let me know.
2017-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules