Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Fixed-Wing Mode
33041 31 2017-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M Cubed Media
lvl.3
Flight distance : 166476 ft
South Africa

So with this new update, a Fixed-Wing mode is added, what is the Fixed-Wing Mode?

2017-4-13
Use props
Harbourside
Captain
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Taken from the manual v1.6
Fixed-Wing Mode The aircraft will fly forward automatically at a certain speed after entering Fixed-Wing Mode. Push the left stick up to ascend and down to descend. Push either stick left or right to rotate the aircraft. Pushing the right stick up will accelerate and pushing down will exit Fixed-Wing Mode. In the DJI GO 4 app, tap the icon  and enable Fixed-Wing Mode. Push the right stick up until the C1 icon appears, then press the C1 button on the remote controller to enter Fixed-Wing Mode. Push the right stick down or press the C2 button on the remote controller to exit Fixed-Wing Mode.
2017-4-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

The best summary of it I've heard is that it's like "cruise control": you choose a speed and the Mavic flies forward at that speed until you cancel it.
2017-4-13
Use props
jreynolds5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

Actually it locks your gimbal into fpv mode and flies more like a fixed wing airplane......slow gentle banking turns.
2017-4-13
Use props
M Cubed Media
lvl.3
Flight distance : 166476 ft
South Africa

Thanks all, I still do not see the point of it flying straight for a long period of time, but this is just me.
2017-4-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

M Cubed Media Posted at 2017-4-13 02:15
Thanks all, I still do not see the point of it flying straight for a long period of time, but this is just me.

Once I upgrade I'll probably use it to take video at a constant speed, which without Fixed-Wing is difficult to do at anything less than the Mavic's maximum speed.
2017-4-13
Use props
bigcheese
lvl.3
Flight distance : 403304 ft
Germany

eg if you want to track a 2nd mavic or a rc plane it is very hard to do.... but with this mode it is more easy... i think i will love this mode and if not i just dont use it ;) it is so incredible which variants the mavic covers... from steady to sport and now even like airplane ! thank you dji!!
2017-4-13
Use props
fansed1e72d2
New
Flight distance : 1211 ft
United States

Call me crazy but I just tried fixed wing mode and swear my mavic did a 360 flip! Am I seeing things?
2017-4-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

fansed1e72d2 Posted at 2017-4-13 15:34
Call me crazy but I just tried fixed wing mode and swear my mavic did a 360 flip! Am I seeing things?

Did it look anything like what's discussed here?

2017-4-13
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

jreynolds5 Posted at 2017-4-13 02:15
Actually it locks your gimbal into fpv mode and flies more like a fixed wing airplane......slow gentle banking turns.

Are you sure about that? That's what the FPV Gimbal mode should give you with manual flight, right?

I hoped to try it out today but work got in the way.
2017-4-13
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-13 16:04
Are you sure about that? That's what the FPV Gimbal mode should give you with manual flight, right?

I hoped to try it out today but work got in the way.

There have been a few videos posted on this already.  I don't think Fixed Wing Mode is what most think it is.  Its not really cruise control.  It appears to be more a function for goggles.  It uses stick commands like already described, but it does lock the gimbal so that you see banked turns.

I don't see it being useful in videography, unless you keep level, or want to see banked shots......
2017-4-13
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-13 15:47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihEvwn_yvT8

I wonder if he put it in some special acrobatic mode by flipping the P/S switch three times quickly (leaving it in S) as shown around the :50 mark.....
2017-4-13
Use props
DesertDave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 55807 ft
United States

Ummmm. Got subtitles??? Not sure what he was trying to tell us.
2017-4-21
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

DesertDave Posted at 2017-4-21 07:05
Ummmm. Got subtitles??? Not sure what he was trying to tell us.

Other than it's a Mavic copy with race drone guts it doesn't really matter what he's saying
2017-4-21
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
United States

Aside from the control differences others have already mentioned , Fixed wing mode simply enables the pilot to view the FPV video as if the drone were an airplane . Drones do not make the same type movements when turning or changing  altitude . A airplane pitches (banks) to turn and pitches its nose up/down to change altitude whereas a drone simply slides to the left or right or up/down and remains relatively level after the initial input . The gimbal keeps the camera level with the horizon during this and always gives you a level stabilized view . In fixed wing mode the drone really can't fly any differently because , well , it's still a drone . It doesn't have a elevator , rudder or control surfaces like a plane .  Dji has simply commanded the gimbal to tilt with the direction of the drones movement to give the illusion of banking while turning etc . It's actually a pretty cool feature as the camera is still giving you a stabilized picture while doing this .
2017-4-21
Use props
tokenbrit
First Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-4-13 16:13
There have been a few videos posted on this already.  I don't think Fixed Wing Mode is what most think it is.  Its not really cruise control.  It appears to be more a function for goggles.  It uses stick commands like already described, but it does lock the gimbal so that you see banked turns.

I don't see it being useful in videography, unless you keep level, or want to see banked shots......

I tend to agree that it's functionality designed for FPV using goggles. It's fun, but you really can't appreciate what the Mavic is doing looking at the screen on the phone.

DJI has scheduled an announcement for the 21st in Las Vegas - I for one am hoping that it will be the goggles.

Announcement
2017-4-21
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

DroneFlying,
                  Wow that's so cool --- I always wanted a 3D Acrobatic Mavic
Too bad I didn't understand a word the guy said lollllll
2017-4-21
Use props
LiamD
New

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-13 02:10
The best summary of it I've heard is that it's like "cruise control": you choose a speed and the Mavic flies forward at that speed until you cancel it.

Thanks for this
2017-4-21
Use props
MicroDrone Afri
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3404324 ft
Kenya

It would be nice to have traditional fixed wing controls, Throttle(Speed) and yaw on the left stick and pitch(Ascend and descend) and roll on the right
2017-5-30
Use props
fans5370f1e4
lvl.1
Ukraine

me too honestly, maybeDJI make a confusion between a commercial aircraft and a drone for make cool video and picts ;)
2017-8-10
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

fans5370f1e4 Posted at 2017-8-10 20:56
me too honestly, maybeDJI make a confusion between a commercial aircraft and a drone for make cool video and picts ;)

Fixed Wing is the same as Air Mode in race quads, use it all the time with my other quads, allows you to do barrel rolls, loops, vertical ascents & dives just like a plane, need to exercise caution in air mode, if you push the pitch forward in will remain that way until you counter.

:Newton " For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"
2017-8-11
Use props
fans5370f1e4
lvl.1
Ukraine

QuadKid Posted at 2017-8-11 04:22
Fixed Wing is the same as Air Mode in race quads, use it all the time with my other quads, allows you to do barrel rolls, loops, vertical ascents & dives just like a plane, need to exercise caution in air mode, if you push the pitch forward in will remain that way until you counter.

:Newton " For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

thank you for the explanation, I really appreciate.
I will give a try to this fixed wing.
so pushing forward, the magic will go alone, like with a airplane throttle?
to stop it I should pull the stick so?
2017-8-11
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Fixed wing mode is pretty cool - it is quite a differant flying experiance to flying the drone - same same but differant!
it does not yaw or pivot or acend/descend like a drone - it flies like an airplane.
Since the gimbal becomes locked i am thinking that the drone must actually bank like a plane to produce the view that it does.
Once in fixed wing mode it will have a steady forward speed which can be accelarated by pushing left stick forward.
Climbs and descends with right stick but climbs like a plane so watch out for approaching an object you wish to close over - allow enough space for the gradual climb to clear the object.

2017-8-11
Use props
Dorsoduro123
New
Flight distance : 4800 ft
United Kingdom

Arrrg....I have flown loads and loads and loads of rc planes. In fpv and los.
  All of them were "MODE 2" configurations.
Can we put the mavic in Mode 2 while in fixed wing mode?

After flying mode 2 for the last 15years, I would totally crash if I tried to use mode 1 to fly a tight fpv course.  
2017-10-3
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tried it and became dizzy in seconds. Rather have it in the off position.  
2017-10-3
Use props
ri0grand
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17956 ft
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-4-21 09:26
Aside from the control differences others have already mentioned , Fixed wing mode simply enables the pilot to view the FPV video as if the drone were an airplane . Drones do not make the same type movements when turning or changing  altitude . A airplane pitches (banks) to turn and pitches its nose up/down to change altitude whereas a drone simply slides to the left or right or up/down and remains relatively level after the initial input . The gimbal keeps the camera level with the horizon during this and always gives you a level stabilized view . In fixed wing mode the drone really can't fly any differently because , well , it's still a drone . It doesn't have a elevator , rudder or control surfaces like a plane .  Dji has simply commanded the gimbal to tilt with the direction of the drones movement to give the illusion of banking while turning etc . It's actually a pretty cool feature as the camera is still giving you a stabilized picture while doing this .

Not true.  A quad/drone banks an pitches just like a fixed wing aircraft or helicopter.  Quad drones have no way of generating thrust forward, backward or sideways other than leaning (bank/pitch).  Your description is backwards.  Aerial photography drones like the DJI are banking when they turn (not yawing) or go sideways.  The gimbal makes it appear  through the camera view that the aircraft is flat all the time.   FPV and Fixed Wing mode lock the gimbal so the camera view shows actual attitude of the aircraft.
2018-1-10
Use props
fans8faeffef
New
Flight distance : 330157 ft
United States

Honestly, I had been contemplating the purchase of a fixed wing drone to get shots that look like POV from a plane or bird. I just like that soaring look occasionally, as opposed to the hovering hummingbird approach. So I’m cool with this feature. Now I just need to come up with another justification to buy the fixed wing bird...
2018-2-14
Use props
Leftyguy
Captain
Flight distance : 1282638 ft
United States

I tried it once and it has its place but I will stick with the traditional method.
2018-2-15
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
United States

ri0grand Posted at 2018-1-10 16:09
Not true.  A quad/drone banks an pitches just like a fixed wing aircraft or helicopter.  Quad drones have no way of generating thrust forward, backward or sideways other than leaning (bank/pitch).  Your description is backwards.  Aerial photography drones like the DJI are banking when they turn (not yawing) or go sideways.  The gimbal makes it appear  through the camera view that the aircraft is flat all the time.   FPV and Fixed Wing mode lock the gimbal so the camera view shows actual attitude of the aircraft.

Actually a drone does not make the same type movements as an aeroplane .  Yes it banks to go left and right and I addressed that when I said after the initial input . Try as you may you will not get a drone to circle around back to you by banking alone . It drifts to the side as if a plane were to use only its rudder . You will have to yaw the drone in the direction you wish it to go . Yawing a plane with rudder alone will make you fall from the sky . Throttle alone will make the drone go up and down in altitude whereas throttle alone in a plane only makes you go faster , you would have to add elevator to rise . Adding elevator in a drone makes you go backwards .
2018-2-24
Use props
fans4ee4a121
lvl.4
Canada

Cool.......
2018-2-26
Use props
DJLudi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1688287 ft
France

Cool..yes! When it works correctly!!
Because i have FW 1.03.700 on my drone and tried 4.1.3/ 4.3.12 on DJI GO4 and it is not possible to enable "Fixed wing-mode" anywhere...Somebody has an idea...????

PS : precision : of course i don't want to downgrade my FW!!!
2019-2-25
Use props
djiuser_eJjxBEqBpBrD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8615 ft
United States

The idea of not having to hold throttle to be free to enjoy the view without accidently going into left or right roll as your going forward without having to hold the joystick the entire flight. Nice to have the extra hand free to adjust heading and still be free to watch your flightpath and take better videos.i have yet to try it but it sounds like what i need  to really enjoy my flight time.
2019-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules