Which Loctite is best to use on the I2?
3539 8 2017-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
J-Darcy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 847428 ft
United Kingdom

I was lead to understand from this post by DJI Mindy that we should be using Loctite 243 to secure the mounting plates on the I2...
But according to other sources from users, the use of Loctite 243 causes significant damage to plastic components (http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/loctite-warning.44824/)

One user here claims that Loctite 424? is the better formula to use... a low viscosity adhesive suitable for use with plastics.

I think the crux of the issue is the material that the internal thread is made out of... if its metal (and thats what it looks like), 243 would be better.
If its a plastic then it would disintegrate if 243 was used, a more multipurpose adhesive such as 424 would be more appropriate.

Has anyone got any advice?

2017-4-13
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

You want the blue, medium viscosity methacrylate-based  thread-locker Loctite 243 that comes in the red bottle and is for metal-metal thread-locking.

The Loctite 424 is a low viscosity ethyl-based instant adhesive; comes in a white bottle; and is for bonding parts vice thread-locking.

Please take a look at the video in the thread referenced above by DJI-Mindy at the 0:50 mark. He's applying Loctite 243 from the red bottle....

The motor tops and screw holes are metal. A shown in the video, take care not to use too much Loctite and ensure only the metal screw holes and metal screws comes in contact with the thread-locker. It can be allowed to dry inplace and will still create the bond.
2017-4-13
Use props
Martidrone
New

Italy

Keep attention with glue, you can find an useful video about to repair a drone here. Loctite is better for plastic for sure and for non structural parts
2018-6-4
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The blue is what you need. Loctite 243 in the red dispenser. A good reference is Tamiya, that is what they use on their models such as their Tank and Truck RC line. And as a note, the Red Loctite itself is pretty much permanent. It requires a lot of heat to even think about breaking it loose.
2018-6-4
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Daroga Posted at 2017-4-13 11:58
You want the blue, medium viscosity methacrylate-based  thread-locker Loctite 243 that comes in the red bottle and is for metal-metal thread-locking.

The Loctite 424 is a low viscosity ethyl-based instant adhesive; comes in a white bottle; and is for bonding parts vice thread-locking.

Hi Terry,

I agree with everything you are saying and have been a very clear contributor to this forum. But disagree with the type of Loctite used in this case.  I think that DJI uses a stronger Loctite product for the Inspire 2 vs the Inspire 1 because of the increased power output of the motors. Your video shared  above is for the installation of the 1345LS prop hubs on the Inspire 1.

If you look at the Inspire 2 product offerings linked below DJI sells the High-Strength Threadlocker 263.
Thread Locker link

So based from my experience with my Inspire 2 (real pain in the butt) After taking the hubs off of my Inspire 2, this is definitely not blue, and requires you to loosen it with great care. Applying heat directly on the head of the T8 or T9 screws with a soldering iron at about 650*F for about 1 minute is necessary to break the bond. Then you carefully remove the screws and clean off the threads with alcohol before reusing them.  So with this said, I think their is a difference between these two drones.

I wish one of the DJI moderators would verify this point with all of us, because as responsible pilots, we are expected to remove and replace these parts under maintenance of the aircraft. We don't send the Inspire 2 in for repairs to the DJI Shop when the props and hubs need replacing.

All the best
Rich

video showing using heat to remove this type of Loctite. Of course you do not use a torch on the Inspire 2 motor hubs!! You use a good quality soldering gun to get this job done.
Hakko FX888D-23BY Digital Soldering Station  $99

2018-6-5
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi
Please we see post #5 for my 2 cents

Rich
2018-6-5
Use props
Steve H i2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322579 ft

The correct one is also shown on DJI parts list for sale items.
2018-6-5
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-6-5 08:29
Hi
Please we see post #5 for my 2 cents

Your 2 cents is a good bet. The Blue is the best choice.
2018-6-5
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-6-5 08:27
Hi Terry,

I agree with everything you are saying and have been a very clear contributor to this forum. But disagree with the type of Loctite used in this case.  I think that DJI uses a stronger Loctite product for the Inspire 2 vs the Inspire 1 because of the increased power output of the motors. Your video shared  above is for the installation of the 1345LS prop hubs on the Inspire 1.

Rich,

Thanks for your Loctite 263 update for the I2. Your experiences continue to enlighten our user community, for which we are greatly appreciative.

I totally agree that your I2 likely uses Loctite 263 for the Prop Mounting Plates. This is probably the same compound DJI is currently using on the landing gear motor/gearbox in the center fame component as users report that heat above 500 degrees is required to loosen the four screws holding the gearbox to the motor.

Here's the spec sheet for Loctite 263 -> Loctite 263 Data Sheet ,which shows that you need at least 250° C / 482° F for disassembly. Thus, your guidance of using 650° F / 343° C is likely a good measure of heat transfer necessary to break the bond on the prop mounts.

In the original post of over a year ago, the poster specifically asked about Loctite 243 versus Loctite 424 and referenced a video posted by DJI-Mindy. My response atempted to compared those two compounds as I was unaware of the red, Loctite 263 liquid designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. Thanks for clearing up my inaccuracies and helping to fill in the blanks for maintaining or repairing our DJI equipment!

2018-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules