1383 10 2017-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rosey
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21135 ft
United States

Hey All,

I am pretty new to the Osmo Mobile (and videography world for that matter) and I am having a constant issue that I am hoping someone can help me figure out.

I know it's not a great shot, but it shows my issue really well. It seems as though almost all my videos have this issue where it almost looks like the camera is constantly trying to refocus. So I tried playing around with my phone in manual mode and it was still doing it...leading me to believe it is not the phone trying to focus. The more I look at the different footage I am taking, the more I am wondering if it is actually the Osmo Mobile Jittering versus my phone.

Since I cannot post a video on here, below is a link to a youtube video I uploaded to show everyone what I mean. Thanks for any help you can provide. I love DJI overall and really want to be satisfied with this gimbal but I am certainly not going to keep a few hundred dollar item that does not work properly.

2017-4-13
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Malaysia

I don't think the Osmo Mobile, which is only a gimbal, can affect focussing of your phone at those distances. When you say you put your phone in manual, does it have manual focus too?
2017-4-14
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
Flight distance : 955587 ft
  • >>>
United States

This happens to me when using the Filmic Pro app as well. I also have to lock focus in situations where this happens, and then it stays put. It is strange that it doesn't happen or seem noticeable when my phone (iPhone SE)  is handheld...
2017-4-14
Use props
Rosey
lvl.1
United States

Salty777 Posted at 2017-4-14 06:17
I don't think the Osmo Mobile, which is only a gimbal, can affect focussing of your phone at those distances. When you say you put your phone in manual, does it have manual focus too?

Thats what I am trying to figure out...It is a focus issue right? Not a tiny jitter issue that is causing the problem?
2017-4-15
Use props
Rosey
lvl.1
United States

jeffbake Posted at 2017-4-14 10:58
This happens to me when using the Filmic Pro app as well. I also have to lock focus in situations where this happens, and then it stays put. It is strange that it doesn't happen or seem noticeable when my phone (iPhone SE)  is handheld...

ok, good to know. Thanks for the input. So you think it is actually a focus issue happening and not the gimbal creating tiny jittering?

Thats my biggest concern right now is making sure its not a jitter issue from the gimbal, which is then possibly creating focus issues from jittering.

from what you guys are saying, it sounds like its a software issue with the phone and I need to find a way to fix and lock the focus.
2017-4-15
Use props
Rosey
lvl.1
United States

Salty777 Posted at 2017-4-14 06:17

It does have manual focus.
2017-4-15
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rosey Posted at 2017-4-15 12:09
It does have manual focus.

looks like a gimbal problem to me.
2017-4-15
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187595 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is an issue caused by newer phone's built in OIS (optical image stabilization). Basically it is a piece of hardware that can't be deactivated in most newer phones that when used with a gimbal, fights against the stabilization of the gimbal, and you get the focus/shaking effect.

Its unfortunate that it's not really fixable as it is not Apple or DJI's fault. Until Apple figures out a way to use something similar to OIS that can also be turned off, the problem will remain. My best advice is to sell your Osmo Mobile and purchase an Osmo, which is what I did. Another option if you're married to the Osmo mobile, would be to buy a used iPhone 6 or another phone without OIS built in.
2017-4-17
Use props
Marty Markoe
First Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

RoomierPanda Posted at 2017-4-17 09:23
This is an issue caused by newer phone's built in OIS (optical image stabilization). Basically it is a piece of hardware that can't be deactivated in most newer phones that when used with a gimbal, fights against the stabilization of the gimbal, and you get the focus/shaking effect.

Its unfortunate that it's not really fixable as it is not Apple or DJI's fault. Until Apple figures out a way to use something similar to OIS that can also be turned off, the problem will remain. My best advice is to sell your Osmo Mobile and purchase an Osmo, which is what I did. Another option if you're married to the Osmo mobile, would be to buy a used iPhone 6 or another phone without OIS built in.

I had this issue the other day using my osmo mobile and the Android Samsung S6 phone. As soon as I saw this Jitte, restarted the app. It did not reoccur. Marty
2017-4-18
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Indonesia

"Another option if you're married to the Osmo mobile, would be to buy a used iPhone 6 or another phone without OIS built in."
But don't get the plus... that does have OIS.
2017-4-18
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187595 ft
  • >>>
United States

Marty Markoe Posted at 2017-4-18 03:11
I had this issue the other day using my osmo mobile and the Android Samsung S6 phone. As soon as I saw this Jitte, restarted the app. It did not reoccur. Marty

That might be true, I don't know much about that phone. What I do know is that I have not seen usable footage from any OIS enabled phone and the Osmo Mobile, and I've seen a lot, as well as tried myself.
2017-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules