Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Do you have to the keep an eye on the k-index?
3437 17 2017-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Hi all,

Back in the days when i was flying my old Phantom 2 you always had to check the weather.
And not only wind etc. but also the k-index.

What is the K-index?
Wiki,......The K-index quantifies disturbances in the horizontal component of earth's magnetic field with an integer in the range 0–9 with 1 being calm and 5 or more indicating a geomagnetic storm.

Flying your Phantom on a day with a high k-index could result in a GPS that would go nuts and sending your drone into all direction only not the right one.
I always checked at the k-index here

My Question
Do all drones have this problem or does these new crafts have protection against these magnetic interference?

2017-4-13
Use props
mmee
lvl.3
United States

Ive never checked personally. I have a drone weather app that has the option there but I've never let it be a deciding factor in whether I fly or not. I believe DJI Ken posted that he has not either in all of his years of flying had any GPS issue due to that.
2017-4-13
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I always check it my KP in my area average between 2 and 6, so I always keep an eye on it. I use UAV forecast and I always check it all conditions. Better be safe than sorry!
2017-4-13
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Netherlands

mmee Posted at 2017-4-13 13:16
Ive never checked personally. I have a drone weather app that has the option there but I've never let it be a deciding factor in whether I fly or not. I believe DJI Ken posted that he has not either in all of his years of flying had any GPS issue due to that.

So, is the k-index a fairytale? or is it something from the past?
2017-4-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

mmee Posted at 2017-4-13 13:16

I'm not saying it can't cause GPS issues, I'm only saying I've never had any GPS issues while flying over the years.
I've heard stories of a high KP index causing problems, but it's never happened to me.
2017-4-14
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

If there is a strong enough flare, there will be no GPS.  In fact, worse-case, it might destroy the GPS satellites! That would take a pretty large one, but you never know.  That said, I have never had an issue on a "high" index day.  It shouldn't really make a difference what drone you're flying.  It is a geomagnetic issue and can do great damage in extreme cases.  Check out what a flare did many years ago.
2017-4-14
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Netherlands

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-4-14 09:19
If there is a strong enough flare, there will be no GPS.  In fact, worse-case, it might destroy the GPS satellites! That would take a pretty large one, but you never know.  That said, I have never had an issue on a "high" index day.  It shouldn't really make a difference what drone you're flying.  It is a geomagnetic issue and can do great damage in extreme cases.  Check out what a flare did many years ago.

If a huge solar storm will hit earth, we are all thrown back to the middle ages.
The only benefit from it will be that many more people can watch the northern light.

2017-4-14
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-4-14 09:04
I'm not saying it can't cause GPS issues, I'm only saying I've never had any GPS issues while flying over the years.
I've heard stories of a high KP index causing problems, but it's never happened to me.

I agree. That echos my experience.  I do check it if I am flying somewhere that might pose a challenge if I were to lose GPS but I have never had any GPS issues even on high K-index days.
2017-4-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-4-14 10:59
I agree. That echos my experience.  I do check it if I am flying somewhere that might pose a challenge if I were to lose GPS but I have never had any GPS issues even on high K-index days.

Good to note.
2017-4-14
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I guess maybe the biggest impact caused by K-factor might be reduction in the accuracy of the  GPS coordinates. This would most easily be seen if you are flying a mission of pre-saved waypoint (such as with Litchi or Autopilot). In that case, I'd want to keep a close eye on things if it's a potential high K-factor period, if those coordinates are close to any obstacles (or close to the ground).
2017-4-14
Use props
mmee
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-4-14 09:04

I know for a fact it can cause real issues as I fly airplanes for a living and it is a concern of ours at times. But it has never been an issue for me wither with any DJI Quad that I have owned.
2017-4-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mmee Posted at 2017-4-14 11:50
I know for a fact it can cause real issues as I fly airplanes for a living and it is a concern of ours at times. But it has never been an issue for me wither with any DJI Quad that I have owned.

I've been a private pilot for 20 years and I've never had any issue from when I went to VOR's to using GPS.
2017-4-14
Use props
mmee
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-4-14 12:38
I've been a private pilot for 20 years and I've never had any issue from when I went to VOR's to using GPS.

Its never caused us any trouble but when we're crossing the atlantic or pacific we are using GPS only so its something we have to think about. Sometime you get NOTAMs for GPS outage. Don't know if its caused by solar flares necessarily. Who knows.
2017-4-14
Use props
mmee
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-4-14 12:38

On a sidenote I was able to get the new Mavic paired to my RC using the manual method but for some reason the RC won't talk to my phone can't get DJI GO to work. Im on the latest firmware on aircraft and RC and the latest app. Any ideas?
2017-4-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mmee Posted at 2017-4-14 12:46
On a sidenote I was able to get the new Mavic paired to my RC using the manual method but for some reason the RC won't talk to my phone can't get DJI GO to work. Im on the latest firmware on aircraft and RC and the latest app. Any ideas?

What phone, and have you tried the bottom USB port (unplug the side cable from the RC).
2017-4-14
Use props
mmee
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-4-14 13:01
What phone, and have you tried the bottom USB port (unplug the side cable from the RC).

Yes I tried that. I fixed it right now. It was a lot of dust and dirt in my lightning port. The phone is iPhone 7 Plus. Than you for your reply.
2017-4-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mmee Posted at 2017-4-14 13:03
Yes I tried that. I fixed it right now. It was a lot of dust and dirt in my lightning port. The phone is iPhone 7 Plus. Than you for your reply.

Ok, glad it's working now.
2017-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules