3.58 miles One Way - Do you think the mavic will make it?
1438 25 2017-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedTailHawk36
lvl.2
Flight distance : 978553 ft
United States

I've been flying both of these places but at seperate times. I have straight line of sight. Starting Elevation is roughly 1,400 ft higher than end elevation.I have to coordinate where I have a spotter on top of the hill and also at the LZ to send live video feed of the landing. What do you guys think? Will I loose the mavic over the water?
Google maps route
Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 11.06.26 PM.png
2017-4-14
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's going to lose signal when near the groud, you'll need to get in roughly the right spot and autoland.
I'd check what happens during Autoland if control is turned off.
2017-4-14
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

The route is SW-NE? The clear LoS and water will help the signal I would not worry about that. Also battery should be no issue. The only thing is make sure to have enough altitude so you keep LoS during descent and set RTH to hover. Testing on a " safe " location would be good to see how autoland behaves when the mavic is not in front of you (or how you deal with that). Just keep a good eye on the signal so it won't "RTH" when over water off course when signal seems stable you can change from " homepoint" to " hover" after PNR.
2017-4-14
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United States

I would use Litchi to do this and set land for end of mission
2017-4-14
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

.....No.....
2017-4-15
Use props
MaKelly
lvl.1
Flight distance : 359869 ft
United States

MacIak Posted at 2017-4-14 22:51
.... " hover" after PNR.

PNR... Point of No Return?
2017-4-15
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

MaKelly Posted at 2017-4-15 00:50
PNR... Point of No Return?

Affirmative
2017-4-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Flying over water is usually best place for signal , very little interference, you could use some cheap parabolic signal senders,
Wind may be a factor if your flying high, Mavic can have real trouble when flying into strong winds, so make sure and check the wing and gust speed .

Your question will you loose it over water, well you nearly have as much land to cross as water,
Although you can't really have a plan for it dropping into the lake, try to have some sort of plan if anything goes askew over land.
Just make sure you have record button pressed. Good luck.
2017-4-15
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

RedTail, I think you'll make it ---- Go to the area your going to land , make it your RTH --- go to where you want to start off hit the RTH button and just keep checking for loss of signal B4 you pull off a manual flight like that --- doing it this way is a little more safer just incase you loose the signal it will still complete the flight distance to the point you set and land
2017-4-15
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

It'll come down to the wind (speed and direction) and how fast you fly: the Mavic is definitely capable of making it that far on one battery, at least if it's not flown at maximum speed. In fact, with light enough winds it could even make a round trip. And if you fly it with a tailwind I predict that you'll make it there with at least 50% battery still remaining -- assuming, of course, that it started at 100%.

P.S. I'm also assuming that it's stock with no extra weight (e.g., landing gear extensions) attached.

2017-4-15
Use props
RedTailHawk36
lvl.2
United States

Ok, I'm hearing many great suggestions from all you that have more drone experience (thanks guys!).  
If I do it I will be hitting the record button for sure.
I was also looking to see if there were any legality issues.
I figured if it was illegal one of you smart guys would have popped my bubble and told me this.

So from the lower point I flow across the lake to the mountains easily and had tons of battery and signal. From the mountains I have been less courageous. I noticed dropping in elevation takes very little battery but climbing in a head wind makes my palms sweat.

It will come down to tailwinds. I'll keep you guys posted...thought it would be a fun mission.
2017-4-15
Use props
RedTailHawk36
lvl.2
United States

MacIak Posted at 2017-4-14 22:51
The route is SW-NE? The clear LoS and water will help the signal I would not worry about that. Also battery should be no issue. The only thing is make sure to have enough altitude so you keep LoS during descent and set RTH to hover. Testing on a " safe " location would be good to see how autoland behaves when the mavic is not in front of you (or how you deal with that). Just keep a good eye on the signal so it won't "RTH" when over water  off course when signal seems stable you can change from " homepoint" to " hover" after PNR.

Pretty much. This is the route. I would have a strong head wind in the afternoon, nothing in the morning.

I like your testing idea. Worth a try before I send my $750 drone out to it's death.

Thanks for the suggestions.
2017-4-15
Use props
RedTailHawk36
lvl.2
United States

Ha! A brutally honest answer
2017-4-15
Use props
RedTailHawk36
lvl.2
United States

Was wondering too...
2017-4-15
Use props
RedTailHawk36
lvl.2
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-15 03:15
RedTail, I think you'll make it ---- Go to the area your going to land , make it your RTH --- go to where you want to start off hit the RTH button and just keep checking for loss of signal B4 you pull off a manual flight like that --- doing it this way is a little more safer just incase you loose the signal it will still complete the flight distance to the point you set and land

I've seen these things return to home....they move so slow. I could try that but I'd be worried it will take it's sweet time getting there.
2017-4-15
Use props
RedTailHawk36
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-15 04:35
It'll come down to the wind (speed and direction) and how fast you fly: the Mavic is definitely capable of making it that far on one battery, at least if it's not flown at maximum speed. In fact, with light enough winds it could even make a round trip. And if you fly it with a tailwind I predict that you'll make it there with at least 50% battery still remaining -- assuming, of course, that it started at 100%.

P.S. I'm also assuming that it's stock with no extra weight (e.g., landing gear extensions) attached.

Totally stock. Just found this cool new app that lets you record the screen so I'm anxious to try it.
2017-4-15
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

RedTailHawk36 Posted at 2017-4-15 05:57
Totally stock. Just found this cool new app that lets you record the screen so I'm anxious to try it.

Then you'll be fine as long as you don't have a very strong head wind. Just remember that the wind at altitude can be very different from ground level and again, if it's feasible then wait for a tail wind or at least a cross wind.
2017-4-15
Use props
RedTailHawk36
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-15 05:56
Then you'll be fine as long as you don't have a very strong head wind. Just remember that the wind at altitude can be very different from ground level and again, if it's feasible then wait for a tail wind or at least a cross wind.

That's right. I was going to facetime my source at the landing zone and see if he could provide some verbal guidance and maybe video.
2017-4-15
Use props
RedTailHawk36
lvl.2
United States

I like the idea of taking it out from the LZ and trying the RTH function over the lake with the LZ as the home point. See how the Mavic behaves on a RTH when out over the lake. Thank you SkunkWerxs, MacIak and everyone for their feedback. If I do it I will document and let you guys know if it worked.
2017-4-15
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

My thoughts:

Home point gets updated when you power on the Mavic, so setting it at the LZ would not be feasible.  However, you can update the home point at anytime, so flying it to the LZ, looking down for your exact landing point while still high enough for signal, and updating the home point would be a good start.  Test and practice before your attempt.

Once your home point is updated, I'd initiate an auto land and watch the video for minor corrections.  Make sure your LZ is large and clear.

This type of thing has been done... watched an interesting video on YT of the guy flying from mountain to his villa and landed on his patio.  Talk about making your palms sweat.

Battery life is not an issue.  I covered nearly 6 miles on a 2.5 mile each way over the water and then some flying when I returned with battery to spare.

Don't forget to drop your altitude as you go so that you stay at or under 400 feet AGL.  I know, you'll have to estimate and it is nit-picky, but it is the law and best to try to follow it.  Besides, you don't want to reach your destination at 1400 feet... just in case there is an aircraft in the area.

Sounds like fun... post up the results!
2017-4-15
Use props
RedTailHawk36
lvl.2
United States

Gary Mac Posted at 2017-4-15 07:02
My thoughts:

Home point gets updated when you power on the Mavic, so setting it at the LZ would not be feasible.  However, you can update the home point at anytime, so flying it to the LZ, looking down for your exact landing point while still high enough for signal, and updating the home point would be a good start.  Test and practice before your attempt.

Starting to realize I need better planning for this. I don't want to lose my Mavic. Too much fun in such a small package. Well you know...
2017-4-15
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Your map shows a considerable drop to the landing zone. You'll lose control as you drop over the hills to go down to landing.  What are you going to do about that?
2017-4-15
Use props
High FlyerCokie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 701109 ft
New Zealand

Only one way to find out.......................keep us posted
2017-4-15
Use props
RedTailHawk36
lvl.2
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-4-15 18:10
Your map shows a considerable drop to the landing zone. You'll lose control as you drop over the hills to go down to landing.  What are you going to do about that?

Landing on top of the hill on the other side. Never lose line of sight with the drone.
2017-4-16
Use props
RedTailHawk36
lvl.2
United States

Well I was experimenting on the other side of the lake and this is what I did. It was a good run.
Small Scale Test
2017-4-18
Use props
Vasco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5427717 ft
Greece

i think that in order to land your plane safe , and due to the fact that you will loose signal during descending you have to use auto land during Mavic  is above landing position (and after off course you have double check that surface is ok for landing ) and before loose signal but also you have to switch off land protection , because if for a reason plane decides that surface is not suitable for landing it will stop the procedure and when loose signal it will start coming back to take off position .
2017-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules