DJI Focus Thumbwheel
7008 52 2017-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrSax
lvl.1

Bulgaria

fansb6a24c11 Posted at 2017-7-27 02:29
Please can you upload a video of it actually working please? We'd really appreciate it.

Buddy, do you have a Follow Focus System (Wireless) ?
2017-7-28
Use props
MrSax
lvl.1

Bulgaria

MrSax Posted at 2017-7-28 01:43
Buddy, do you have a Follow Focus System (Wireless) ?

I mean DJI Focus? .. (not Thumbwheel focus)
2017-7-28
Use props
ChEdL
lvl.1
South Africa

Hi there,

Just a quick update folks.
After making it work for a couple of tests, it stopped working with no apparent reason.
I bought new cables, nothing.
And that's where I am right now. Didn't have that much time to do different setups now that I have all the cables under the sun, but the former setup doesn't work, and the one through the Ronin-M doesn't work either (I've applied the latest update).
I'll need to check again but I do think that this system is utterly flawed and shouldn't have been released yet. And as most DJI products, it's great when it works. When it doesn't, pray for a miracle but don't expect DJI to fix it...
2017-7-29
Use props
BenBerkhout
New

Australia

fansb6a24c11 Posted at 2017-6-19 08:21
Still no luck with mine. Customer support keeps sending me the same thing which doesn't work. Eventually they'll realise they need to update the firmware for it to work. I hope so anyway. Literally nobody at DJI knows what the Thumbwheel even is. There's no evidence of anyone having any luck with it. It's a mystery. Soon I'll demand a refund because this is a joke product. Come on DJI, sort it out.
Also here's a pic of what I see when I wire it to my laptop. Version 1 still, and wtf is that Hardware ID???

I have the same issue. The DJI Assistant says it's up to date.

I've also been talking to DJI but my tech keeps telling me to update the Ronin but I keep telling him it's not anything to do with the Ronin. The Thumbwheel should connect direct to the focus motor using the thumbwheel to focus motor cable which I had bought.

Getting pretty frustrated with the lack of knowledge on their own products. They just don't listen.
2017-7-29
Use props
fansb6a24c11
lvl.2
United Kingdom

MrSax Posted at 2017-7-28 02:11
I mean DJI Focus? .. (not Thumbwheel focus)

Of course I have! That's the whole point! DJI Focus, DJI Thumbwheel, all required DJI cables for it to work. No joy. Have you had luck and if so can you show the desperate people (myself included) on this thread that the Thumbwheel works?!
2017-7-30
Use props
MrSax
lvl.1

Bulgaria

Hi guys,

I made a short video how to connect the DJI Thumbwheel with DJI Motor for stand alone operator with this special cable

DJI Focus - Thumbwheel-Focus Motor Cable http://store.dji.com/product/dji-focus-thumbwheel-focus-motor-cable?vid=23171:!!!

I hope that will help!!!
p.s let me know if you have any questions
simeonkrushkov@gmail.com

2017-8-1
Use props
ChEdL
lvl.1
South Africa

MrSax Posted at 2017-8-1 12:16
Hi guys,

I made a short video how to connect the DJI Thumbwheel with DJI Motor for stand alone operator with this special cable

Hi MrSax,

I got to your point a while back. Was working fine but it stopped working after a few uses.
I hope you get more luck than I had...

(And thanks for the video

Cheers!
2017-8-5
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

ChEdL Posted at 2017-6-23 07:42
No, I received it with 1.2.
And unlike most firmware with DJI, including the ones of the Ronin, I cannot flash it again, it doesn't suggest the latest version as 1.2.

Are you still having this issue? Have you tried to reinstall the Assistant Software?
2017-9-11
Use props
sroberth
New
United States

Hi there,

I'm having no luck connecting my DJI focus and my thumbwheel. I'm running on a fully updated Ronin-M (1.7 GCU).

I'm also not having luck finding the required power cable "DJI focus motor power cable" as it seems that DJI is no longer selling it, even after contacting a few distributors.

I first connected my DJI remote and calibrated the motor and lens, then turned on the thumbwheel, to no luck still.

Not sure where this leaves me, but I'm sure a lot of others are still having the same issue. Is there a thumbwheel firmware upgrade?
2017-9-20
Use props
Alan CCTV
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi..I noticed too, but looking closer I think its for the OSMO....all the OSMO storage boxes show the thunbwheel in them
2017-10-18
Use props
joeyB106
lvl.2

United States

Still doesn’t work
EAD60D09-3B51-43D3-A211-E35D0059DAE7.jpeg
2017-10-29
Use props
tvansweden
New
United States

So.... we've reached a new year in attempting to solve the issue of DJI continuing to sell a focus thumb wheel that won't connect properly.  Without giving you all of the details of my own struggles attempting to get this system to work as advertised, I am left at a point where I simply need to know where to find the special cable that is needed.  Although DJI says that the system will work without the additional cable via "Method 1", we all know that to be tested false now.  Does anyone have a current link for me to purchase the necessary extra cable?  I can't find a source where the cable is available or not discontinued.  Any help is appreciated.

PS... I just get more and more upset each time I read this thread and further realize that DJI sold everyone a product that they can't even stand behind with their own tech support.  Any potential solving of this issue has come from the help of fellow consumers struggling to help themselves and each other.  This lack of support, on top of my Phantom 3 Professional controller literally falling apart in my hands, is a clear indicator that I need to be thinking of other vendors for anything synonymous with DJI now.
2018-1-2
Use props
P.Amodeo
New

United States

BenBerkhout Posted at 2017-7-29 20:00
I have the same issue. The DJI Assistant says it's up to date.

I've also been talking to DJI but my tech keeps telling me to update the Ronin but I keep telling him it's not anything to do with the Ronin. The Thumbwheel should connect direct to the focus motor using the thumbwheel to focus motor cable which I had bought.

Did you ever have any luck getting this to work? I was having the same problem and finally got the damn thing to calibrate. Turns out the "green light" was very much a yellow light, meaning that it needs to be calibrated. What the manual seems to leave out is that you need to push the lens & dir button simultaneously TWICE (sort of like a double-click) - at least that's what i think finally did it. The light began blinking yellow (calibrating...) and then suddenly it was green and voila! The damn thing works!! It works rather well too.

If you're looking to buy the Thumbwheel- DJI Focus Motor Cable you can find it on Amazon in the link below. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help!
Thumbwheel - DJI Focus Motor Cable on Amazon
2018-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules