DJI Phantom 3 Advanced Upgrade
5737 13 2017-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hasan.ozturk
New
Flight distance : 10279 ft
United States

Hello, I have a Phantom 3 Advanced and i wonder if i can upgrade the camera to a 4K model. If it is possible can anyone tell me which parts i need to purchase. Thank you.
2017-4-15
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can just buy the 4k camera P3Pro-4K camera and the upgrade the firmware using the 3Pro version and then you wil have converted your P3Advance to a 3Pro. or you can use the slightly cheaper ???? P3-4K camera 3-4K camera - there must be some difference between these cameras due to the price difference?
2017-4-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha hasan,

This is almost funny for me.  A different member of the Forum was just asking if a P4 Advanced camera could be swapped out for a P4 camera, a simple system downgrade.  Yes, cameras and gimbals can be swapped, but the firmware updates can be very difficult.

The P3 Professional camera is available at the DJI store for about $350.  In my experience with this Forum, it should not be much of a problem to swap out the camera and update the firmware to the P3P firmware.  It may be in your interest to contact DJI to let the techs there know that this is what you are doing so they can provide confirmation on their side.  They may also be able to help you.  Your Phantom also has to be registered in their database as a legitimate product of their company.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-15
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

SimonH78 Posted at 2017-4-15 03:07
You can just buy the 4k camera P3Pro-4K camera and the upgrade the firmware using the 3Pro version and then you wil have converted your P3Advance to a 3Pro. or you can use the slightly cheaper ???? P3-4K camera 3-4K camera - there must be some difference between these cameras due to the price difference?

P34K cameras will not work on a P3P or P3A. Different camera and wiring. Someone tried it and melted the wiring and main board.
2017-4-15
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-4-15 03:35
Aloha hasan,

This is almost funny for me.  A different member of the Forum was just asking if a P4 Advanced camera could be swapped out for a P4 camera, a simple system downgrade.  Yes, cameras and gimbals can be swapped, but the firmware updates can be very difficult.

P3P camera works no issues. It is the only thing that is different between the two. It has been done many many times. Switching the cameras and loading the P3P firmware makes the p3A a P3P.
2017-4-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

HWCM Posted at 2017-4-15 22:17
P3P camera works no issues. It is the only thing that is different between the two. It has been done many many times. Switching the cameras and loading the P3P firmware makes the p3A a P3P.

Aloha HWCM,

Mahalo for filling the blanks!  But swapping out the two cameras is different from managing the accounts of the cameras.  Firmware updates are sometimes specific, although I think at this late stage the P3P and P3A are pretty much identical.  I think Hasan needs to know that the swap is very possible, but he also needs to understand that more work needs to be done with DJI.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-15
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-4-15 23:50
Aloha HWCM,

Mahalo for filling the blanks!  But swapping out the two cameras is different from managing the accounts of the cameras.  Firmware updates are sometimes specific, although I think at this late stage the P3P and P3A are pretty much identical.  I think Hasan needs to know that the swap is very possible, but he also needs to understand that more work needs to be done with DJI.

I am curious about your statement regarding DJI and firmware upgrades. I personally have an Advanced that was purchased from a hobby store. Authentic mind you, but since day one I have never given DJI a serial number or anything. Yes, I created an account on the DJI website with just an email, but what does DJI have to do regarding firmware upgrades. I have upgraded every time one has been released, for the last 1 1/2 years and have never been asked to confirm my aircraft. I often wondered in the first year that if I had a warranty issue (which I did not) how would DJI even know what aircraft I had. I did of course have my receipt. I'm just asking to better understand, not trying to make anything wrong out of your statement. Thanks.
2017-4-17
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-4-17 09:24
I am curious about your statement regarding DJI and firmware upgrades. I personally have an Advanced that was purchased from a hobby store. Authentic mind you, but since day one I have never given DJI a serial number or anything. Yes, I created an account on the DJI website with just an email, but what does DJI have to do regarding firmware upgrades. I have upgraded every time one has been released, for the last 1 1/2 years and have never been asked to confirm my aircraft. I often wondered in the first year that if I had a warranty issue (which I did not) how would DJI even know what aircraft I had. I did of course have my receipt. I'm just asking to better understand, not trying to make anything wrong out of your statement. Thanks.

When you registered your Phantom through the GO app or signed in to DJI the first time through the app, it sent your activation date and serial number to DJI.
As for the camera swap, When you put a Pro camera on an Advanced, the only other thing that is required is to install the Pro firmware onto the Advanced with the pro camera. That is it, no need to contact DJI or to re register. Just install the camera and change the firmware from the Advanced to the Professional.
2017-4-17
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-4-15 23:50
Aloha HWCM,

Yes.
When you put a Pro camera on an Advanced, the only other thing that is required is to install the Pro firmware onto the Advanced with the pro camera. That is it, no need to contact DJI or to re register. Just install the camera and change the firmware from the Advanced to the Professional.
2017-4-17
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-4-17 09:24

Aloha Ricardo,

No tell anybody, eh!  My first firmware upgrade was a P3A firmware on a P3P.  What a babooze I was!  I could kick myself around the block for that.  It took me almost a month to straighten it out, but, I did.  They told me to send it in, but I never.  I just kept hammering it in until it finally took.  I did not realize that there were differences way back then (as in years ago).  So now, I pay attention to possible mistakes and look in advance for possible problems.

The current issue is to swap cameras, which is possible, but you need to make sure you are updating to the proper firmware when it comes out.  The camera has one set of firmware and the flight controller has another set of firmware.  DJI has each operator recorded as having a specific Phantom.  Now, DJI has no real issue with an operator voiding their warranty and swapping out cameras, etc.  But, as an operator, we need to be sure that we are doing the right firmware updates.  Upon occasion, DJI has done forced updates.  This is normally not a problem unless you have a mix and matched Phantom.  Just saying here.  I have never seen it present as a problem.  Plus, there are some team members that are curious about how far us consumers can stretch the envelope.  

It also does not help that I have never had a compliant device to fly with.  But everything works and I like to give a heads-up to newbies when I see a potential problem.  It also does not hurt to error on the side of caution.

Finally, I had no end of problems trying to activate my P4.  I had to go to China to reconcile my problem.  I refused to fly it until it was activated because of the warning, but there appeared to be a serious bug in the activation process.  I did everything short of actually taking off.  In the end, it was revealed to be a non-issue, but I did not fly my flight capable P4 for a month or two.  Now, that was some serious self restraint!

DJI does not put out a lot of information since their technology is so cutting edge.  Print something one week and it may change in another week or two.  They really do depend on us to help get messages across.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-17
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

HWCM Posted at 2017-4-17 21:45
Yes.
When you put a Pro camera on an Advanced, the only other thing that is required is to install the Pro firmware onto the Advanced with the pro camera. That is it, no need to contact DJI or to re register. Just install the camera and change the firmware from the Advanced to the Professional.

Aloha HWCM,

Maybe it is just because I am on the Forum so much, but I would notify DJI if I did a camera swap.  DJI does sync our records and tries to work with us as operators on and off the Forum.  I just look at it as we are all on the same team trying to get the most out of our devices and Phantoms.  We are sharing information that is useful.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-17
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-4-17 22:12
Aloha Ricardo,

No tell anybody, eh!  My first firmware upgrade was a P3A firmware on a P3P.  What a babooze I was!  I could kick myself around the block for that.  It took me almost a month to straighten it out, but, I did.  They told me to send it in, but I never.  I just kept hammering it in until it finally took.  I did not realize that there were differences way back then (as in years ago).  So now, I pay attention to possible mistakes and look in advance for possible problems.

I totally understand you are trying to give advice to whoever needs it. And to that, kudos to you. I do understand also what you are saying about DJI and activated products, but that is where I am still confused. At no point during initial setup did I ever give any serial number for my phantom. Yes I have a valid account, but how does DJI know even what my aircraft is? Does activation automatically upload your aircraft information, including model, serial number, etc., because at no time did I ever enter that info? That is my question really.

Edit: I just saw the other response HWCM offered that says when you activate, it automatically uploads that info. I did not read that until just now. So, sorry for my response. It makes sense I guess. I just thought it would show your model, serial number, etc .on your homepage for your aircraft. Thanks to everyone for clearing that up for me.
2017-4-18
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

HWCM Posted at 2017-4-17 21:45
When you registered your Phantom through the GO app or signed in to DJI the first time through the app, it sent your activation date and serial number to DJI.
As for the camera swap, When you put a Pro camera on an Advanced, the only other thing that is required is to install the Pro firmware onto the Advanced with the pro camera. That is it, no need to contact DJI or to re register. Just install the camera and change the firmware from the Advanced to the Professional.

I guess I am inclined to side with you as far as DJI caring who is downloading what. I have downloaded Standard firmware for friends of mine (which I have never owned one) and I was never prompted or asked why I was doing that. As far as the firmware being different for the RC and the aircraft I understand that too, but it is all bundled together when you download the package. It's not like you can just get the firmware for the camera without the rest....right? Anyway I was just trying to understand. I'm not in the process of swapping camera myself. Was getting some advise in case I ever do it for someone else. Thanks guys.
2017-4-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-4-18 03:58
I totally understand you are trying to give advice to whoever needs it. And to that, kudos to you. I do understand also what you are saying about DJI and activated products, but that is where I am still confused. At no point during initial setup did I ever give any serial number for my phantom. Yes I have a valid account, but how does DJI know even what my aircraft is? Does activation automatically upload your aircraft information, including model, serial number, etc., because at no time did I ever enter that info? That is my question really.

Edit: I just saw the other response HWCM offered that says when you activate, it automatically uploads that info. I did not read that until just now. So, sorry for my response. It makes sense I guess. I just thought it would show your model, serial number, etc .on your homepage for your aircraft. Thanks to everyone for clearing that up for me.

Aloha Ricardo,

Not a problem.  These threads do not get updated until after you have posted a reply.  Good to see you got it straightened out.  I was about to ask if you ever activated your P3A.  When I had to manually activate my P4, I had to provide all that information.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules