Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Any successful warranty claims after a prop flying off?
12Next >
3132 47 2017-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

So... my refurb P3 Pro crashed yesterday! I had it less than a month!
LOG: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/6LXR3E5D1WQH23P4NTDW/

Hovering at 50ft, over a parking lot, checking my app settings, and suddenly I hear the motor sound change, and bum!
Damage - camera broke off from the arm, landing gear is lose, one arm is twisted a bit.
This was flying on DJI CF props, which I know some people experienced issues with, soi this was meant to be lkast flight on them, since I simply did not have my stockj props with me.
This was a 3rd battery of the day.
My frustration comes, from knowing that the fact that I followed my own preflight procedure, and checked all props 3 times, is only my word - I KNOW I have tighten them - but I realize it's just my say so...
I am pretty fristrated, hence me wodering if anyone actually did get a waranty fix or replacement under simmilar circumstances?
Oh, one of the props I never found, so I am pretty certain it just flew off.... Kicking myself in a butt, because I knew there were suspected issues with CF props flying off!
Well... there, for now.,. Thx for any ideas, advice, to all...
Back to flying Advanced for now I guess ;) On stock props! ;)

And his fall was great!

And his fall was great!
2017-4-15
Use props
wntmldrs_belgiu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 793281 ft
Belgium

That's tough.
Do you take off the props after every flight ?
Just wondering. I've haven't touched mine in a year.
Maybe cheaper to go for another refurb.
2017-4-15
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

I do take them off,m and flew probably easily 40 batteries on these, never had an issue...
yes, another refurb fore $550 is an option, but it hurts.. even though it's "only money"...
And it's not like i did not fly an advanced for a year too...
2017-4-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes, I've heard of successful warranty claims from a P3 prop flying off so it's worth a shot.  Good luck.
2017-4-15
Use props
T3rdEye
Captain
Flight distance : 221844 ft
United States

Back to flying Advanced for now I guess ;) On stock props! ;)... That's if your son will give it up now that he is a pilot....

Seriously, I am sorry to hear about your loss.  It doesn't sound like a pilot error.  We will just have to wait and see what others think.  Will you be posting your flight log?

2017-4-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear about your crash.
Did you get in touch with our tech support and send it in?
If your aircraft is still within warranty period, our engineers will help to analyse the flight data and let you know what could have caused the issue.
2017-4-15
Use props
HWCM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

Were they on really tight? I wonder what makes these props fly off as opposed to the plastic ones?
2017-4-15
Use props
endotherm
Captain
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

HWCM Posted at 2017-4-15 22:10
Were they on really tight? I wonder what makes these props fly off as opposed to the plastic ones?

It's probably because they are more rigid than the plastic ones, and if they bind or snag while screwing them on, it might feel like they are bottoming out and are fully attached.  Unfortunately it may only be loosely attached and part way along the shaft. With gentle flight, they should self-tighten from this point, however, if it is flown "hard" and there is sudden acceleration and deceleration with active braking, the forces applied can in some circumstances cause the prop to unwind and subsequently fly off.

The telemetry from the motors is captured in the flight logs, and it can be calculated whether the props flew off or broke in flight.  Unfortunately this data is not returned to us users from the normal flight log readers such as Phantom Help or Healthy Drones/AirData.  You would need to sync the flight record with DJI and ask them to examine it, specifically the motors for loss of prop, to determine if there is anything supporting a lost prop incident.   A prop unscrewing and lost would probably be treated as pilot error, whereas a blade breaking off in flight would probably be considered for warranty purposes.  The motors would be returning different speeds/data depending on whether they have 0, 1 or 2 blades attached.
2017-4-16
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-15 19:35
Sorry to hear about your crash.
Did you get in touch with our tech support and send it in?
If your aircraft is still within warranty period, our engineers will help to analyse the flight data and let you know what could have caused the issue.

Mindy - thank, you - I did not yet, as it was Friday evening, will do today later or monday. I assume we can confirm that the props I used ARE indeed DJI, even though they are fiber carbon enforced.
The log from Apr 14, 18:30pm, MST (GMT+6) clearly points at the prop, as the motor went "idling, lose prop".... gregt at post dot pl

As for the people who ask "how come" I do not know - but I suspect that even though the hub feels plastic, it must be harder and more slippery than stock plastic... so even though I am careful and make sure things r good, it is more likely to come loose. I have read this about these props - so I never used them for a year, but not on the pro and a bit windier weather, I decided to give them a try.. somewhat against my better judgement, which, obviously, had some foundation to it.
2017-4-16
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

HWCM Posted at 2017-4-15 22:10

Only the usual hand pressure - I have bad experience with over tightening as well. I do not use any tool, just by hand. Keep in mind, I have quite a few hours on these props, never had an issue.. very suspicious....
2017-4-16
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

Added a log link to original post.
2017-4-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Phantomski Posted at 2017-4-16 11:22
Mindy - thank, you - I did not yet, as it was Friday evening, will do today later or monday. I assume we can confirm that the props I used ARE indeed DJI, even though they are fiber carbon enforced.
The log from Apr 14, 18:30pm, MST (GMT+6) clearly points at the prop, as the motor went "idling, lose prop".... gregt at post dot pl

Don't worry, our engineers will review the flight data.
If you have any further issue about your case, please feel free to let me know.
2017-4-16
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

Thx. I will follow up as soon as the case fully takes off. I guess there's a diff. between the original case created, and then the case opened for a repair and full evaluation.
Just created a repair case: CAS-582255-X3F4J9
Will see what develops and how soon!
2017-4-17
Use props
HWCM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

Did you find the missing prop? Was it in one piece? You are positive it flew off before hitting the ground. I just do not understand how these things come off as they are counter screwed. The motors do not have real active braking in the sense that the motors stop suddenly like a racing quads, but rather the braking is a tilting of the quad in the opposite direction of travel by slowing the trailing props and speeding up the forward props. Even if the Phantom had true active braking, the momentum of the propeller on the motor that is suddenly stopped is in the direction of tightening not reverse.
2017-4-17
Use props
endotherm
Captain
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

HWCM Posted at 2017-4-17 21:36
Did you find the missing prop? Was it in one piece? You are positive it flew off before hitting the ground. I just do not understand how these things come off as they are counter screwed. The motors do not have real active braking in the sense that the motors stop suddenly like a racing quads, but rather the braking is a tilting of the quad in the opposite direction of travel by slowing the trailing props and speeding up the forward props. Even if the Phantom had true active braking, the momentum of the propeller on the motor that is suddenly stopped is in the direction of tightening not reverse.

As you say, braking is performed by slowing the motors and tilting the aircraft.  A sudden change of direction could cause a motor to reduce speed instantaneously.  If the prop isn't sufficiently bonded to the prop shaft, momentum in the prop will continue to rotate it at the previous speed, while the shaft is spinning slower.  They are both spinning "forward" but one is moving faster than the other.   This relative difference results in the prop advancing in the "unwind" direction, until it disconnects entirely.  It may take a few of these sudden reversals to accomplish, it won't necessarily occur the first hard brake you do.
2017-4-18
Use props
Sp00nix
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28678 ft
United States

Would using something like loctite blue help when using props like these or with metal hubs?
2017-4-18
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

These did NOT have metal hubs.. I think they are just less grabby than the stock.. Loctite is an option for metal to metal, but is dangerous for plastic parts....
An no, I have not found the prop.. I bet it's somewhere further away, so I have no chance to find it....well, perhaps by chance only...

And yes, it is understandable that props will fly off if not tighten, mine were, after 3 checks.. that is why I am really ticked by this...  but then again, every crash is.. well.. annoying! ;) Regardless of whose fault it is....
2017-4-18
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why do warranties? Too much of a hassle! State Farm Insurance for $60 per year, no deductables, no fault and replace the drone and kit in two days! Ive had this insurabce for over a year and filed a claim...no problem.
2017-4-19
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-4-19 02:20
Why do warranties? Too much of a hassle! State Farm Insurance for $60 per year, no deductables, no fault and replace the drone and kit in two days! Ive had this insurabce for over a year and filed a claim...no problem.
EDIT*** I found one! Turns out one of the parents in my kids' class works for SF, and he said he will check on it!
MJStudios: u keep saying that, nobody here in Colorado seems to know of that program! i have inquired with number of agents, no clue. Pinged the corporate, they will confirm nothing, just tell me to contact an agent... not to mention, the crash has already happened..
2017-4-19
Use props
Dalork
lvl.1
Australia

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Phantomski, I was about to order some of the DJI props myself. I loved how yours looked but think I will stick to standard now for obvious reasons, I found under my home contents insurance they gave me cover for accidental breakage (which includes items when removed from the house for upto 90days) cover. Well turns out it was an optional add-on that we had and didn't know about to be honest lol, only found out when asking if they had insurance for quadcopters. Good news was they said they not only covered them under the existing policy but also had $20,000,000 public liability included to cover any possible damage to people or their property also.

I'm in a different country but long story short lol, have you asked your home building/contents insurer (if you have one currently) to see if a policy you may already have might give some kind of cover.
2017-4-19
Use props
Sasquad
First Officer
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

I always use the tightening tool. Not over tightening but rather to snug them up good. I remove them after each flight and store the quad in the original box. How many times can they Be safely used before replacing them?
2017-4-20
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

I never had issues with the plastic standard ones, and they look ok too, after coloring with RIT - I ALWAYS remove them before putting my quad into the bag, and i used one set of props for like 10 months.. I replaced them only, because I noticed some vibrations... NEVER had an issue with them becoming lose. The CF ones look good, but I have read many cases of flyoff....  I always, wrongly, assumed that the pilot did not tighten them.. guess what.
There's black RIT, so it's easy to block off some area with electrical tape, and color them to look just like the CF ones.
My baby is in the mail to DJI now, we will see what happens.And yes, I do have insurance coverage now, but 1000 deductible, so no point there.....

2017-4-20
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-4-19 06:44
EDIT*** I found one! Turns out one of the parents in my kids' class works for SF, and he said he will check on it!
MJStudios: u keep saying that, nobody here in Colorado seems to know of that program! i have inquired with number of agents, no clue. Pinged the corporate, they will confirm nothing, just tell me to contact an agent... not to mention, the crash has already happened..

Insurances vary from state to state. SF may not cover drones in CO. The type of insurance I got was personal property insurance ie. covering jewelry, cameras, etc.
2017-4-21
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-4-21 02:22
Insurances vary from state to state. SF may not cover drones in CO. The type of insurance I got was personal property insurance ie. covering jewelry, cameras, etc.

i do wonder if it "counts against your record" though.. i will do more research, sionce the guy helping me is a friend.... i know i could have bought a 2 year full protection for 159 from drone nerds as well, and then of course dji for 279.....
2017-4-21
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-4-21 06:58
i do wonder if it "counts against your record" though.. i will do more research, sionce the guy helping me is a friend.... i know i could have bought a 2 year full protection for 159 from drone nerds as well, and then of course dji for 279.....

You're not wondering if it goes against your driving record are you!? I've filed a claim for one P3P...the whole P3P kit was replaced within two days....that was last year. I received my new policy for this year...the policy did not increase in price...still $60 per year!
2017-4-22
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-4-22 14:42
You're not wondering if it goes against your driving record are you!? I've filed a claim for one P3P...the whole P3P kit was replaced within two days....that was last year. I received my new policy for this year...the policy did not increase in price...still $60 per year!

No, i meant against "claims"... many insurances, state farm too, keep track of claims, and may chose to say someone is "not insurable"....
2017-4-22
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

No update on case CAS-582255-X3F4J9..
The drone was delivered on the 24th, and nothing yet.. I will give them till next Monday, and then perhaps I will email.. What gets me with my few attempts to deal with DJI, they almost always go "send it for an eval", and rarely seem to be willing to look into the logs before that, which, IO think is a waste, because lot's of good data can be found in the logs...
Oh well, wish me luck - hope to get something from support next week! Hoping for a good news!
2017-4-28
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

Well, this case is taking a week+ between every step of the way.. I suspect that now I will get the price, then I will have to try to push for a warranty claim.. I smell easy 3 more weeks...  DJI - can you guys help any pls?
2017-5-7
Use props
fans31f7c8b0
Flight distance : 1360643 ft
United States

I had the exact same issue on a refurb P3P, I sent it back thinking that since it was under warranty I would get lucky but that didn't happen ended up costing me tohave it repaired. Ended up being a pilot error. I hope you have better luck than I did.
2017-5-8
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

Well! Looks like a good news!
The price is not bad either, if I had to pay it...  good to know if I ever need anything not under warranty!
At the moment I am pleased - now we will see how soon and how well fixed does it get.....

p3pwarranty.JPG
2017-5-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-5-7 19:28
Well, this case is taking a week+ between every step of the way.. I suspect that now I will get the price, then I will have to try to push for a warranty claim.. I smell easy 3 more weeks...  DJI - can you guys help any pls?

It looks like the unit was covered under warranty recently and will be undergoing the repair process shortly. You would receive further updates as the week progresses.
2017-5-8
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-8 07:53
It looks like the unit was covered under warranty recently and will be undergoing the repair process shortly. You would receive further updates as the week progresses.

yes, i am certainly pleasantly surprised.. you know how many people complain about DJI support on there.. it's hard not to notice..... If this goes well, i will certainly do a post, to offset the negative posts! Cross you fingers ;)
2017-5-8
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

Not complaining, just keeping track.... it actually was received quite a few days earlier, on the 25th, but the system was not updated till the 2nd... My guess is their receiving receives a lot ;) Lesson - if u know they received it, ping them to push for a case update.
DJICaseprogress.JPG
2017-5-10
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

Got my "repaired" email today, but the case status was not updated yet..  with additional issues FeDex has, I wonder how much longer before the bird comes home.... Today's 16th.... Crossing my finger for a quick delivery and a well repaired bird....
2017-5-16
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

I know it's close, but overall, everything there is rather slow.. what is supposed to be turnaround on repairs? No biggie, but this is well over a month, and every step of the way - including receiving my package, were lagging on DJI side (I know, as I had proof of delivery).... Mindy, or some other DJI person, could u check how close it is to being shipped? It's been in a "preparing for shipment" state for a while now..... Today is 25th, the last update seems to be the 19th.
Thx!
djirepair.JPG
2017-5-25
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

I've been using their CF props for about 9 months. I wonder what the problem is supposed to be with them?  I suppose they did not communicate that information with you.
2017-5-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-5-25 13:42
I know it's close, but overall, everything there is rather slow.. what is supposed to be turnaround on repairs? No biggie, but this is well over a month, and every step of the way - including receiving my package, were lagging on DJI side (I know, as I had proof of delivery).... Mindy, or some other DJI person, could u check how close it is to being shipped? It's been in a "preparing for shipment" state for a while now..... Today is 25th, the last update seems to be the 19th.
Thx!

There has been a backlog in the shipping department. Based on the information provided, tracking information would be made available soon.
2017-5-25
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

Cool! Thx for checking! Hope it will work as well as before the crash!
2017-5-25
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-5-25 14:58
I've been using their CF props for about 9 months. I wonder what the problem is supposed to be with them?  I suppose they did not communicate that information with you.

My hubs did feel composite, but perhaps they were more slippery than the current? Not sure.. Never had this issue with stuck, and with CF I did rather quickly..  Perhaps resellers still resell the model of those props that has been backed out from actual DJI store? Who knows?
2017-5-25
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

DJI-Jamie, could you please check once more? CAS-582255-X3F4J9
So the email saying it will be shipped back in 2 days, I got on the 19th; then, you checked on the 25th, it's 30th, and I am not even able to check repair process online anymore...  
Wondering what the status is.
Thx!
2017-5-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules