Where to fly in Hawaii?
5140 9 2017-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
piowoc73
lvl.3
United States

Hi,

I know there are some residents of Hawaii active here, so can somebody advise me on the most appealing areas for aerial photography / videography in Hawaii?
We will be visiting 4 islands (Hawaii, Maui, Oahu and Kauai) in December and I was wondering if taking my P4P there would make sense, also considering the weather conditions at that time.

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks!
2017-4-15
Use props
TJH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50830 ft
United States

Have looked at http://www.iflightplanner.com/AviationCharts/ yet to see the various restricted areas?
2017-4-15
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

If you are doing Maui you will probably do the "Road to Hana". Everyone does ;-)
http://tinyurl.com/n3fc28g

There are several waterfalls along this route. I've seen there mutiple times guys with drones.
This is when I decided to get one:

Going east from Kahuluis direction Hana a first nice spot is Hookipa Lookout, just past the town of Paia.
A spot for surfers that attracts drone enthusiasts.
Next one would be "Jaws". THE surfer spot on Maui! Tough road to get there, serious SUV needed:

btw: The Huey pilot lost his license after this.

I haven't flown at any surfer spot. When it's good for surfers it's usually way to windy for drones.
The east coast towards Hana is the weather side of the island, almost every day a few showers, windy.
Besides the numerous waterfalls the little peninsula Ke'Anae is a good spot along the coast.

As you approach Hana note that it has an airport!
Past Hana also nice is:
Koki Beach Park. (Don't forget to eat there Huli Huli chicken)

From there on all along the 31/37 towards west and back north it's beautiful, very scenic views.
Very different landscape compared to the rainforest feeling. But even more windy.

Be aware that Haleakala National Park - obviously a NoGo - goes in parts all the way down to the south coast.
That makes the tourist attraction "Seven Sacred Pools" and some other spots a NoGo.

The west coast (Wailea) with all the hotels and beaches full of familys I didn't find very attractive.
I never went to West Maui, the peninsula starting west of Kahului.
2017-4-15
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.3
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-15 11:55
If you are doing Maui you will probably do the "Road to Hana". Everyone does ;-)

Thanks a lot!
Yeah, my biggest worry is that most of the time it's going to be too windy there, so I may end up paying for an extra bag, which will not even get opened in Hawaii.
2017-4-17
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.3
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-15 11:55

Is there any way to shoot lava dropping into the ocean on a Big Island? I was thinking about renting a boat and launching the drone from it. Flying inside the national parks is forbidden, so I can't get this kind of shots from the land I am afraid.
2017-4-18
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

I doubt you can do this legally.
There is a total hype about this - scientists, media, tourists, boats, helicopters.
I would check with the coast guard:
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=USCG-2017-0172-0003
You can easily stay outside the 300yard zone but then the VLOS rule probably comes into play.

2017-4-18
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.3
United States

Anyway, if anybody else has any suggestions where else to fly in Hawaii please let us know. Thanks!
2017-4-21
Use props
RegDawg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54091 ft
United States

I'm headed to Maui next month, staying at the Royal Lahaina. We are planning to do the Road to Hana as well. I'm planning on taking the Mavic though to limit the baggage space. I wanted to get shots of the beach area by our hotel, do you think I would be able to do that early AM or late PM while the crowd has died down? I'm wondering if hotel security will give us drone guys a hard time.

2017-4-24
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

If you are doing this on hotel property I would definitely talk to them first. I cannot image though they will allow it.
That will make them being responsible if anything happens.
There is no country in the world like the USA where everyone is being afraid of insurance claims or being sued.
If you are doing it outside hotel property at times where no one is around you might get away with it.
2017-4-24
Use props
RegDawg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54091 ft
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-24 10:20
If you are doing this on hotel property I would definitely talk to them first. I cannot image though they will allow it.
That will make them being responsible if anything happens.
There is no country in the world like the USA where everyone is being afraid of insurance claims or being sued.

Absolutely, was planning to ask if it was okay. My plan was to go early AM or late afternoon probably walk down the beach to an area with not alot of people.

If only this hobby you didn't have to be so discrete it would be so much easier.  I just hope I dont run into any issues while I'm on other parts of the island shooting footage. I plan on only shooting where others have shot before.
2017-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules