Editing Phantom 4 Pro files (4K) in Premier - help!
14633 29 2017-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans84ea54b0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43707 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

I used the drone for the first time today so I'm sure there will be a few things I'll need help with!

I've just dragged one of my 4K clips in to Adobe Premier CC but....it doesn't like it. It loads the video fine but it plays it back very jerky (the same happens in DaVinci Resolve).

I have a fairly new, highly specced PC so I'm assuming it's something to do with  the files themselves.

A quick internet search has brough up some software that claims that these files should be converted to MP2 (without quality loss) to be more Premier-friendly files. I don't understand this.

Help please!

Thanks in advance.

2017-4-15
Use props
fans84ea54b0
lvl.2
United Kingdom

P.S - The clips were recorded in H.264 as I've heard that Premier has trouble with H.265 files.
2017-4-15
Use props
fans6e10e94b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 162556 ft
Canada

the issue is your computer , it can't handle the large files re 4 K
2017-4-15
Use props
fans5ba4c294
lvl.1

United States

Hmmm, I had the same problem with Resolve and was considering buying Premier. I deleted Resolve because I couldn't get it to work. I feel like I have a decent laptop. It is a gaming laptop and has a GTX 960,16gb RAM and i7 6700 processor. You'd think it would run? I looked up possible ways to get it to run smoothly on forums and people complained about it running much slower with the newest version of DaVinci Resolve and I tried a few of the "did you try this" fixes and nothing for me.
2017-4-15
Use props
fans5ba4c294
lvl.1

United States

fans6e10e94b Posted at 2017-4-15 16:58
the issue is your computer , it can't handle the large files re 4 K

OP mentioned they had a high speced computer, can it really be too large of files to handle 4k processing? If that is the case what would be some specs of a computer capable of doing this?
2017-4-15
Use props
UltraDan
lvl.2
France

I use borosoft? Converter to convert all the files including the h.265 ones, you have to pay for it but it's good, there's a free trial available if you want to try it.
2017-4-16
Use props
fans84ea54b0
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies!

I thought my PC would be more than capable of handling the files. I've only had it a few months so it's up to current requirements:

Pc specs

I7 6700k 3.8ghz
16 gb ddr4 2133mhz
Gtx 1070 8gb
250gb SanDisk SSD
Windows 10
2017-4-16
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This spec is more than enough to run P4P files.
You want to play a preview of a processed file or unedited file ?
If its processed try to pre-render. There are some things you can do/change while processing the file that will choke even a beast of a PC  
2017-4-16
Use props
fans84ea54b0
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply. I'm having trouble after I've placed the video on to the Premier timeline (to cut it, etc). Once it's placed on the timeline it just won't play smoothly (actually, it barely plays at all). All I want to do is play the clip on the timeline so that I can best choose which bits to snip, etc
2017-4-16
Use props
Delta Nine
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans84ea54b0 Posted at 2017-4-16 02:45
Thanks for the reply. I'm having trouble after I've placed the video on to the Premier timeline (to cut it, etc). Once it's placed on the timeline it just won't play smoothly (actually, it barely plays at all). All I want to do is play the clip on the timeline so that I can best choose which bits to snip, etc

You have been given the answer, pre-render.
2017-4-16
Use props
fans84ea54b0
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Well thank you very much for all of your help. This forum is great....that has worked a treat!

Does anyone have any suggestions on working with the H.265 codec? I haven't shot anything in it yet as  I'm afraid I'll capture some great video but won't be able to edit it in Premier (I've heard Premier doesn't understand it?).

Thank you once again.
2017-4-16
Use props
jsantacroce
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10036 ft
United States

fans84ea54b0 Posted at 2017-4-16 03:10
Well thank you very much for all of your help. This forum is great....that has worked a treat!

Does anyone have any suggestions on working with the H.265 codec? I haven't shot anything in it yet as  I'm afraid I'll capture some great video but won't be able to edit it in Premier (I've heard Premier doesn't understand it?).

I edit 4k files on my laptop all the time. Go to Youtube and watch a video on using Proxies. Allows you to edit your video and scrub smooth as can be by using a smaller resolution copy of the original file. Then when you export it uses the original.

2017-4-16
Use props
DGBarar
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans84ea54b0 Posted at 2017-4-16 03:10

Hi Fan,

Premier Pro CC 2017 will work with the H.265 codec provided you import as an MP4.  If by chance the file is recorded as a .MOV, change the extension to .MP4 before importing into Premier Pro.

Donald Barar
2017-4-17
Use props
manfredo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1891142 ft
  • >>>
United States

jsantacroce@hvc Posted at 2017-4-16 04:07
I edit 4k files on my laptop all the time. Go to Youtube and watch a video on using Proxies. Allows you to edit your video and scrub smooth as can be by using a smaller resolution copy of the original file. Then when you export it uses the original.

This right here is the answer, I had similar issues until I started using Proxy files in Final Cut Pro X, I'm sure Premier can do the same.
2017-4-17
Use props
monica66
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Based on our testing, the 4K MOV footage(no matter in H.264 or H.265) from DJI Phantom 4 Pro is beyond the compatibility of Davinci Resolve. To edit Phantom 4 Pro 4K video files in DaVinci Resolve 10/11/12, you need to convert/compress 4K MOV to DaVinci Resolve edit-friendly format such as DNxHD first, which ensures best results when using in Davinci Resolve. The software I used also can help you edit videos in Premiere. Have a check!
2017-8-15
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans5ba4c294 Posted at 2017-4-15 18:01
Hmmm, I had the same problem with Resolve and was considering buying Premier. I deleted Resolve because I couldn't get it to work. I feel like I have a decent laptop. It is a gaming laptop and has a GTX 960,16gb RAM and i7 6700 processor. You'd think it would run? I looked up possible ways to get it to run smoothly on forums and people complained about it running much slower with the newest version of DaVinci Resolve and I tried a few of the "did you try this" fixes and nothing for me.

That machine will not run DaVinci Resolve very well. You need at the minimum 32GB, and an 8GB GPU.

Also you should transcode to ProRes 422 (Mac) or another Optimized Format before editing. You will find the task much easier.

H.264 or H.265 are "delivery codecs" NOT "editing codecs" - they are highly compressed, and extremely difficult to work with at best. You will rarely find a professional editor who will cut this format. If you're NOT familiar with the difference, use your friend "Google"

2017-8-16
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

monica66 Posted at 2017-8-15 19:29
Based on our testing, the 4K MOV footage(no matter in H.264 or H.265) from DJI Phantom 4 Pro is beyond the compatibility of Davinci Resolve. To edit Phantom 4 Pro 4K video files in DaVinci Resolve 10/11/12, you need to convert/compress 4K MOV to DaVinci Resolve edit-friendly format such as DNxHD first, which ensures best results when using in Davinci Resolve. The software I used also can help you edit videos in Premiere. Have a check!

You never "cut"  h.264 or h.265 - they are delivery codecs. You transcode to ProRes etc. to cut, THEN export to the delivery codec requested by the client, or required by the website.

Cheers!

2017-8-16
Use props
monica66
lvl.2

United States

Refer to:  http://www.brorsoft.com/4k-workf ... eo-to-premiere.html
2017-9-19
Use props
christing
lvl.2

Japan

UltraDan Posted at 2017-4-16 00:56
I use borosoft? Converter to convert all the files including the h.265 ones, you have to pay for it but it's good, there's a free trial available if you want to try it.

Thanks your share. I would try it.
2017-9-20
Use props
Maxwhiteuv
lvl.3

United States

Edit DJI Phantom 4 Pro with Premiere

Which Premiere Pro CC version are you using? The DJI Phantom 4 Pro record 4K video with H.265 codec, H.265 codec are only supported in Adobe Premiere Pro CC2015 or its later version, you will fail to load the DJI Phantom 4K Pro H.265 to Premiere Pro CS6/CS5/CS4 or previous version. In addition, although Premiere Pro CC is very good at handling 4K footage natively, however, there are still occasion when you try to edit 4K video with PPC on slow computer but only to find it skips and jumps, making it virtually impossible to edit with any real finesse. The good news is that you still have the chance to edit 4K video or even other high resolution video with Premiere Pro CC since the latest Premiere Pro CC now provides an incredibly powerful proxy workflow that makes editing of 4K media a breeze.

2017-10-30
Use props
fans74acd1b1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 184465 ft
United States

I don’t get it. I have been watching Phantom 4 Pro videos on my five year old Dell laptop and my new Samsung Tab A tablet since I purchased my drone in June 2017 with no issues of any kind. That is until the last couple of weeks. I was using the built in Windows 10 video player on the laptop and the built in Samsung video player on the tablet in the original MOV format. Now, for some reason, if I can get the video to run at all on either device I am lucky and if it does run it is so jerky is isn’t usable. I have made no software changes, no fancy video editor editors, nothing. So what the hell happen? I do not see the need to download and pay for video editors when it was working just fine without them in the first place. NOTE: The video will still play with excellent quality as long as I have the drone powered up and talking to the controller and the tablet. I simply do not understand what has changed. All help is appreciated.
2017-12-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

monica66 Posted at 2017-8-15 19:29
Based on our testing, the 4K MOV footage(no matter in H.264 or H.265) from DJI Phantom 4 Pro is beyond the compatibility of Davinci Resolve. To edit Phantom 4 Pro 4K video files in DaVinci Resolve 10/11/12, you need to convert/compress 4K MOV to DaVinci Resolve edit-friendly format such as DNxHD first, which ensures best results when using in Davinci Resolve. The software I used also can help you edit videos in Premiere. Have a check!

'Based on our testing, the 4K MOV footage(no matter in H.264 or H.265) from DJI Phantom 4 Pro is beyond the compatibility of Davinci Resolve. '

Not true at all. I run 4K Phantom footage directly in Resolve 14 all the time.
2017-12-25
Use props
Jojoyuan
lvl.2

Singapore

I got the best solution for you: http://mediateto.blogspot.com/20 ... remiere-pro-cc.html
2018-3-21
Use props
FarmerMac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Hi.

If you learn how to use PROXIES in Premiere Pro then it's the solution
for you. I had exact same problem the first time
Take a look at this guide:

Proxies - How To

The idea is, that you work in a lowres version of your 4K files, but in the end, the rendering is done
in the full 4K format the original file have.
2018-3-21
Use props
James R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423871 ft
United States

As stated above learn how to use proxies. It's pretty simple.

It basically lets you work with you 4K video as a 1080p video or less. Then when you render it renders at 4K.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your PC will babe let handle working a 5 minute 4K video. It will be so slow it will be annoying.

You need 24gigs of ram (32 recommended for 4K to give you an example of what you are looking at.

This doesn't include gpu cpu ssd ddr4 ram etc.

This is why we use proxies because you are looking at a 1500- 3000 dollar PC to work in 4K......
2018-3-21
Use props
fans84ea54b0
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply. Since I originally posted this topic I've been using proxies for some time, and they work brilliantly.
2018-3-21
Use props
Jojoyuan
lvl.2

Japan

To transcode DJI 4K H.264 videos to DNxHD .mov for Davinci Resolve, you can refer to this post:http://jacktellyoutipsformovies. ... o-dnxhd-for-avid-mc
2018-5-14
Use props
ClaudioTrezzani
Second Officer
Flight distance : 331 ft
Italy

Premiere - I have 2017 version - can manage H265 clips from Phantom 4 Pro if they are MP4, not MOV.
2018-6-25
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Saw this explanation in the Adobe forums. Long GOP footage is not all the same! "That is all very long-GOP media, which rags the crud out of the CPU/RAM/cores/threads subsystems. So adding in a ton of RAM is actually the best thing you could do. The cameras and their highly specialized chips that create/write that media record on a complete "I" frame every 15 to 30 ... or for some drones ... 120 frames apart. In-between the record a matrix-based dataset of the pixels that have changed since the last I-frame, will change before the next, or ... both. Now there are even partial I-frames. Which is how they extend it up to 120 frames for complete I-frames.     The computer has to create the I-frames & store them, pull up data-sets, recall the I-frames & calculate the in-between p & b frames. Store those as well as pass them onto the video system, create the next frame for the video. On & on. I know colorists with massive rigs who don't even think once about working 6k RED & Arri media. But as soon as they see long-GOP stuff, that gets transcoded to replace the original media on the sequence they're going to work."
2019-1-30
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Saw this explanation in the Adobe forums. Long GOP footage is not all the same!
"That is all very long-GOP media, which rags the crud out of the CPU/RAM/cores/threads subsystems. So adding in a ton of RAM is actually the best thing you could do. The cameras and their highly specialized chips that create/write that media record on a complete "I" frame every 15 to 30 ... or for some drones ... 120 frames apart. In-between the record a matrix-based dataset of the pixels that have changed since the last I-frame, will change before the next, or ... both. Now there are even partial I-frames. Which is how they extend it up to 120 frames for complete I-frames.     The computer has to create the I-frames & store them, pull up data-sets, recall the I-frames & calculate the in-between p & b frames. Store those as well as pass them onto the video system, create the next frame for the video. On & on. I know colorists with massive rigs who don't even think once about working 6k RED & Arri media. But as soon as they see long-GOP stuff, that gets transcoded to replace the original media on the sequence they're going to work."

2019-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules