Controller options for Mavic
1245 4 2017-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Roll Tide
lvl.2
Flight distance : 610502 ft
United States

As I get ready to order my Mavic Pro, over the Phantom 4, having just sold my trusty P3S, I have a simple question:
WHY doesn't the Mavic offer two options for the controller.  
1)  The one there is now, for those who want to pull it out of their cargo pants, and
2)  a second choice --  along the lines of Phantom 3/4 for those of us who would not mind packing a larger controller in exchange for being able to use a real tablet.  
All over the place I see hacks for tablets.  Obviously MANY people are buying Mavic in spite of the remote.  MANY MORE would buy it if they had a choice of remote.
Is there a reason?  
And not something like, You want tablet, get Phantom; You want iphone, get Mavic.  That would be ridiculous.
Really, is there a reason?
Even as I write, I get upset again that I don't have such an obvious choice.  
In conclusion, I want to fly my Mavic Pro with a Phantom-ish remote & my tablet, no hacks, no add-ons, nothing.  All DJI.
Who is with me?
2017-4-16
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Personally I'm pretty happy using my iPad Mini 4, and even if its size is on the smaller end I do consider it to be a "real tablet". And no hacks are required: it fits the controller nicely. Just barely, but it does fit.

I also like the portability of the Mavic's controller and probably wouldn't sacrifice that portability for some hypothetical design that would allow me to plug a larger tablet directly into it.
2017-4-16
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Buy a tablet holder then that fits the remote.  There are about 20 options on Amazon for this.
2017-4-16
Use props
Roll Tide
lvl.2
Flight distance : 610502 ft
United States

Thanks for the replies.  I know there are options out there.  I was just wondering why DJI itself did not offer two controller options.  From an engineering standpoint, it would certainly be simple.   
So why, then, if we all agree it would be a good thing if there two options, aren't there two options?  If not engineering, etc, what?  My only thought is that this is meant to balance the load, so to speak, to the Phantom and Mavic lines.  
To be clearer, IF DJI offered the Mavic with the option of two controllers, there would be a sudden and steep decline in Phantom sales.  
At least that is my theory.  
And my Mavic gets here Friday.  I cannot wait.
2017-4-16
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

The people that buy the Mavic are usually not interested in lugging a suitcase of items along with them to simply fly.  I think that is the reasoning here.  If this is your motivation, then I suggest you get a Phantom 4 Advance which should be about the same price.  It is bigger and it has the bigger remote that you are probably looking for.

Portability is the draw to the Mavic.

The Phantom 4 Advance probably does better 60 FPS capture too.  The Mavic is good to 30 FPS capture.  It's >30 FPS capture is obviously designed for FPV goggles and is highly compressed.  There are tradeoffs with the smaller package.
2017-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules