Week transmission error - Should I send in?
1225 19 2017-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello all,
So before I send my I1P in for repairs I thought I would pick your brains about this issue that I am having to see if I can "fix" it myself.  
For that last few days, I have been flying (same locations as well as different locations) and I keep getting the week transmission error and/or the screen on my iPad keeps going black (no video image with in the Go App.), motor speed will be reduced, and when I raise or lower the landing gear it seems to increase & decrease in altitude.
I am flying in a open area, no houses near by and I would start the motors and let it hover in place about 3 to 5 feet in the air....then I would get two warnings, 1) week transmission error and 2) motors will be reduced.  Now...I'm just hovering at this point.  When I'm flying around, it is just as sporadic as when I am just hovering.  As stated above, when I raise or lower the landing gear it seems to increase & decrease in altitude.

Any insights?  Do I need to start a ticket and send it in?

Also, It does not seem to hover in one place as well as the P4P and Mavic...I am assuming that this is "old" technology and therefore the hovering in place seems to not be as great.
2017-4-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, are you noticing this after a firmware update or a hard landing? If you haven't already, I would recommend performing the following RC combinations:

Reset the RC:
* Turn on the controller, and the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter on the controller then turn the controller off.
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller and link the remote.

Manually relink the RC to the aircraft:
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller.
* Press C1, C2, and the record button on the controller, then the controller will beep like D-DD. This may take a few seconds of holding it.
*While holding the buttons, press the wheel on the right side of the controller and then the first light of the controller will become blue and it will constantly beep DDDD.
* Use a pen to click the linking button on the aircraft and hold for 3-5 seconds, and then take the pen off the aircraft and wait, it will be linked soon.

For the potential altitude issue, I would recommend performing an IMU calibration and see if that helps.
2017-4-17
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-17 15:24
Just to clarify, are you noticing this after a firmware update or a hard landing? If you haven't already, I would recommend performing the following RC combinations:

Reset the RC:

DJI-Jamie,
I more or less noticed this after the firmware update.  I have not crashed it, or ever had a hard landing.
I will give this a try and get back to you.  Thanks.
2017-4-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-4-18 04:23
DJI-Jamie,
I more or less noticed this after the firmware update.  I have not crashed it, or ever had a hard landing.
I will give this a try and get back to you.  Thanks.

Please keep me posted when you can.
2017-4-18
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-18 06:29

Jamie , do you know if old RC  firmware will communicate with the latest go app's .  I have a member with an old system and the RC wont communicate with the go appp , just wondering if there is a cutoff point when it wont work .  

Like version 1.2 on the AC and RC will that communicate with the current go app ?
2017-4-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Donnie * Posted at 2017-4-18 10:05
Jamie , do you know if old RC  firmware will communicate with the latest go app's .  I have a member with an old system and the RC wont communicate with the go appp , just wondering if there is a cutoff point when it wont work .  

Like version 1.2 on the AC and RC will that communicate with the current go app ?

The firmware can only be so old before stuff like that happens. If they want to keep that firmware version, then they would need to use an older app version. Off the top of my head, I don't know what the app cut off is for that firmware.
2017-4-18
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-18 12:01
The firmware can only be so old before stuff like that happens. If they want to keep that firmware version, then they would need to use an older app version. Off the top of my head, I don't know what the app cut off is for that firmware.

Ok great thank you .

donnie
2017-4-20
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

You may need to simply clean the contacts on the Camera and the Mounting plate.  I will give a link that has more detail and suggestions to try if you are NOT loosing video completely .
As far as the motors reducing speed , that is a normal warning that is pretty much benign.   The AC  moving up and down is pretty normal behavior with my aircraft, I notice it as well and just consider it part of the flight transition , I dont think it is anything to worry about , make sure that you dont have excessive play in the landing gear as if it was to get considerably  sloppy it could give some poor flight performance during transition , just feel the gear for excessive slop and check the support rods etc.

I agree the phantom does hover better .  One thing to be sure to calibrate would be the IMU and also do a good compass calibration , see if it helps .  I think you may have already done this but just wanted to mention it as well .

What are you using for go app. , you need a fast processor for the Go app , I know I harp on this a lot but if you can get a I pad Pro or Air with plenty of memory  your issues may go away  not sure .  When you get the weak transmission on the go app do the HD bars drop as well ?  If they do NOT, I would look  to your go app device as the culprit .
also if you can , try to use channel 20 on the image transmission settings, it has NO wi fi  competition ( some wifi does overlap , but it is a very quiet channel )
Check this link out .

https://docs.google.com/spreadsh ... li=1#gid=1477125990

If the screen turns funny colors like green etc with lines then It would be the camera , any way , look over my tips page on this and let me know what go app device you have .
Video Transmission issues with X3 or X5 ? Try These Suggestions !

Hope this helps, I personally dont think you need to send it in at this time .  

donnie

2017-4-20
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Donnie * Posted at 2017-4-20 07:44
You may need to simply clean the contacts on the Camera and the Mounting plate.  I will give a link that has more detail and suggestions to try if you are NOT loosing video completely .
As far as the motors reducing speed , that is a normal warning that is pretty much benign.   The AC  moving up and down is pretty normal behavior with my aircraft, I notice it as well and just consider it part of the flight transition , I dont think it is anything to worry about , make sure that you dont have excessive play in the landing gear as if it was to get considerably  sloppy it could give some poor flight performance during transition , just feel the gear for excessive slop and check the support rods etc.

Donnie,
Thanks.  I use the Go App with the I1P and have a Air 2 that is used all the time. Yes, I did a COLD IMU re-cal. as well as all other re-cal's.   I think that the landing gears are solid, but I will double check.  In all accounts, the HD bars were all ways full...even when I did not have a video feed.
This is what I have done so far.  I have "reset" the RC as instructed by DJI-Jamie.  I did take it up this morning for 2 battery flights and was able to get it out to just a hair over 3,000ft. (.9144 km) with any issues with the video cutting out.  
I have also been talking to my DJI authorized dealer here in Colorado and I asked them to take a look at it, as they are a teir 1 repair center.  I dropped it off to them this morning (4-20-17) to have them check it out as well.  I had some other miner issues that I want checked out with the motor mounts, etc. that is NOT a related issue.
I will keep both of you (& whom ever else reads this) in the loop.
2017-4-20
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-18 06:29

DJI-Jamie,
Please see my reply to Donnie
2017-4-20
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-4-20 09:23
Donnie,
Thanks.  I use the Go App with the I1P and have a Air 2 that is used all the time. Yes, I did a COLD IMU re-cal. as well as all other re-cal's.   I think that the landing gears are solid, but I will double check.  In all accounts, the HD bars were all ways full...even when I did not have a video feed.
This is what I have done so far.  I have "reset" the RC as instructed by DJI-Jamie.  I did take it up this morning for 2 battery flights and was able to get it out to just a hair over 3,000ft. (.9144 km) with any issues with the video cutting out.  

Yes , please let me know , keep in mind that the more complicated the Go  app and the encryption get you May want to try or upgrade the GO app device , I have the I pad Pro and have NO problems at all .
If the HD bars were solid I suspect the go app device OR loose or dirty connection at the camera Gimbal to vibration board .  

Good luck

donnie

Let me know what they say .
2017-4-20
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donnie,

I was watching your thread and see that Donnie and Jamie were helping you. I have noted the  radio interference error message a lot after the new FW updates on everything I fly.  Not sure if this is the same thing though.  When you look at the remote and HD icons at the top of the app,,, they are always at full bars for me. I fly the HD streaming in manual mode mostly all the time, but the Mavic is in Auto mode.

hope you get it figured out soon and keep us posted
Rich   
2017-4-20
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-4-20 12:01
I was watching your thread and see that Donnie and Jamie were helping you. I have noted the  radio interference error message a lot after the new FW updates on everything I fly.  Not sure if this is the same thing though.  When you look at the remote and HD icons at the top of the app,,, they are always at full bars for me. I fly the HD streaming in manual mode mostly all the time, but the Mavic is in Auto mode.

hope you get it figured out soon and keep us posted

Rich, Yes, agreed & I will keep you posted as well.
2017-4-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Donnie,

It's a good idea to get everything checked in tandem. Just to clarify, did you mean you went 3,000ft without the video going out or did it still happen within that range?
2017-4-20
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-20 13:22
It's a good idea to get everything checked in tandem. Just to clarify, did you mean you went 3,000ft without the video going out or did it still happen within that range?

DJI-Jamie, That is CORRECT.  I went 3,000ft (0.9144km) with out any issues
2017-4-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-4-20 14:31

Thanks for clearing that up.
2017-4-20
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-4-20 14:31

Let us know what they find ...... I am going to bet on Go app  device or Poor connection between camera and Vibration board .  Or you may get the dreaded "Unable to duplicate customer concern "

Keep us posted so we can pass this along to other members with similar issues.  

donnie
2017-4-21
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Donnie * Posted at 2017-4-21 04:52
Let us know what they find ...... I am going to bet on Go app  device or Poor connection between camera and Vibration board .  Or you may get the dreaded "Unable to duplicate customer concern "

Keep us posted so we can pass this along to other members with similar issues.  

Donnie,
This is a little behind BUT at least I am getting back...lol
I had them test it out, fly it over 3K feet and they said they did not have any issues.  This was of course AFTER I reset the RC as per Jamie's instructions.  
So, for now, it is fine, but I have not really tested it out 100% just yet either, so here's hoping.  Thanks again for your help.
2017-5-4
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-20 14:37
Thanks for clearing that up.

DJI-Jamie,  Please see the post above in replying to Donie and thanks again for you help.
2017-5-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-5-4 06:25
DJI-Jamie,  Please see the post above in replying to Donie and thanks again for you help.

Good to hear that is seems to be sorted. Please let us know if the issue comes back.
2017-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules