Unauthorized coping of your DJI drone videos at Youtube.
1749 22 2017-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

I 'm not sure about anyone else here at the DJI forum but all kinds of my drone videos are getting copied and reposted by other people.
Reposted as theirs on Youtube and advertisements are being hung on them so these people can get paid for my work.
I just found a whole article on the NY Times web site using my Pacifica Ca Coastal Erosion video just straight up copied and installed
into their video player with no payment to me what so ever. Is anyone else experiencing this or is it just me?
I paid a lot of cash for my bird and spent hours learning to fly it well. Some say it's worth $400.00 hour...jeez  

Here's the NY Times video link:
   https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/ ... s-at-risk.html?_r=0

Heres the link to my Youtube video:

2017-4-18
Use props
adrian8891
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2643110 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

Hey,

Try here:
http://www.wipo.int/portal/en/index.html

maybe they will help a bit if You write Your situation.
2017-4-18
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

Thanks adrian8891 for the info, I`ll check it out. We drone people have to protect our productions and our rights
it takes a lot to fly these birds and we all (DJI Drone Pilots) deserve to be treated properly.
2017-4-18
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

I imagine you reported the video right?
2017-4-18
Use props
ManaRam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1528688 ft
United States

This is what I get when I click on your video

video-disabled.PNG
2017-4-18
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

They mentioned the source. If the clip is public and they mentioned the source (Youtube / Dave Kent), what is wrong with that?
2017-4-18
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

You still need permission to use copyright material. Just giving a credit is not enough. If you can identify them send an invoice for the use of your material with an Unauthorised Use Fee
2017-4-18
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dave Kent Posted at 2017-4-18 10:53
Thanks adrian8891 for the info, I`ll check it out. We drone people have to protect our productions and our rights
it takes a lot to fly these birds and we all (DJI Drone Pilots) deserve to be treated properly.

Aloha Dave,

The important question is are you certified as a commercial drone operator?  If you try to claim charges and you are not certified, the FAA may come knocking on your door.  Then it can cost you way more than $400.
     I remember when you first posted that video!  Have you tried to check your YouTube site for a New York Times contact effort?  Since they credit you in the upper left corner, they are acknowledging it is your work.  If you are not certified, that is all they can do, but at least it is good advertising until you do get certified.

Aloha and Drone On!

2017-4-19
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I experienced that all the time as a pro photographer, and sadly, in this country, no one gives a damn. Indeed it is almost accepted that any digital imaging can be ripped off and used, I even had two lawyers do it to me who had blantantly removed my copyright notice off the images. I would certainly advise that all images, either still or moving, that go on to a pubic forum, should be claerly marked as copyright on the image and within the meta data too. Unless that is clearly displayed, and all rights reserved, then many could argue that they did not know. Bt I think Cetacean has made a very valid point, if you do not have your llicence, then to ask for any reward save acknowledgment would be in breach of FAA rules. If you are quallified then I would also recommend you put on your licence numers etc as well as contact details.
You shoukd, at the very least, contact teh New York Times and tell them that the video had been used without your knowledge or permission.

Mike
2017-4-19
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Dave Kent Posted at 2017-4-18 10:53

The video was shot on Saturday by Duncan Sinfield, 24, an assignment editor at KTVU, a Fox affiliate, using a camera attached to a drone. Mr. Sinfield said the short video exemplifies a larger issue.

Seems they claim they shot one of the video's themselves as well.
2017-4-19
Use props
samuraiz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 202585 ft
United States

Reminds me of a time that I thought I saw my Rocket Launch photo on a site crediting another photographer.    So I checked his profile and  I remembered that he was indeed standing right next to me on the beach during the shoot.  
2017-4-19
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

NY Times has not broken any copyright laws.
Any YT poster who leaves the embed option on gives the consent for the use of his videos.
Even commercial.
Only work around would be avoiding YT.

YT Terms of Service:
"You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license  to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce,  distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the  functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service..."

2017-4-19
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

Callatis Posted at 2017-4-18 14:19
They mentioned the source. If the clip is public and they mentioned the source (Youtube / Dave Kent), what is wrong with that?

They copied and reinstalled it into another video player with no link back to Youtube.
And the drag is their getting paid with all the adds and I`m not.
2017-4-19
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

embayweather Posted at 2017-4-19 04:00
I experienced that all the time as a pro photographer, and sadly, in this country, no one gives a damn. Indeed it is almost accepted that any digital imaging can be ripped off and used, I even had two lawyers do it to me who had blantantly removed my copyright notice off the images. I would certainly advise that all images, either still or moving, that go on to a pubic forum, should be claerly marked as copyright on the image and within the meta data too. Unless that is clearly displayed, and all rights reserved, then many could argue that they did not know. Bt I think Cetacean has made a very valid point, if you do not have your llicence, then to ask for any reward save acknowledgment would be in breach of FAA rules. If you are quallified then I would also recommend you put on your licence numers etc as well as contact details.
You shoukd, at the very least, contact teh New York Times and tell them that the video had been used without your knowledge or permission.

Thanks Mike for the info..I just would like to be paid for my work and not have to see another
site copy my work and hang advertisement on my work and get paid for it.
I get this all the time on my videos. Including non UAVs videos.
2017-4-19
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-4-19 05:07
The video was shot on Saturday by Duncan Sinfield, 24, an assignment editor at KTVU, a Fox affiliate, using a camera attached to a drone. Mr. Sinfield said the short video exemplifies a larger issue.

Seems they claim they shot one of the video's themselves as well.

This video I'm talking about is not the same video as Mr. Sinfields.
I've shot several videos in the same area as his video.
You can click the video and see that it's different, Duncans is way better than mine.
2017-4-19
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-19 08:40
NY Times has not broken any copyright laws.
Any YT poster who leaves the embed option on gives the consent for the use of his videos.
Even commercial.

This wasn't a embed video this was a full copy and post on their site.
Thanks for the info though.
From now on I`m installing text (my name) into all my videos.
2017-4-19
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-4-18 11:54
I imagine you reported the video right?

I can't report it to Youtube, It was a full copy into another video player and repost on
their company site. At this time I guess I'll just have to live with it.
2017-4-19
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

I'd like to thank everyone for their great comments! I`ll have to protect my self more.
I'm not looking to get rich on my UAVs productions, but it would be great to make some money so I could buy a new bird and a few batteries every couple of years.
2017-4-19
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

ManaRam Posted at 2017-4-18 13:02
This is what I get when I click on your video

Sorry about that. I removed the embed link ,Were it say's Watch this video on Youtube is a link you can use.
Again sorry about that and thanks for the comment.
2017-4-19
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

If you want to get paid don't publish your work on platforms meant to be for sharing. Posting on YT is contradicting your aim.
There are lots of sites (e.g. Gettyimages) where you can sell your footage. And they charge a percentage which is only fair.
2017-4-19
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-19 11:51
If you want to get paid don't publish your work on platforms meant to be for sharing. Posting on YT is contradicting your aim.
There are lots of sites (e.g. Gettyimages) where you can sell your footage. And they charge a percentage which is only fair.

Thanks for the info! I'll check out Getty images for sure.
I didn't know or think that Youtube was a full sharing platform. I know Youtube can use it if they want but? I know in the past I posted a song from a free use ,online MIDI file from the year 1888 (Erik Satie) and I was hit with a third party copyright violation by Youtube and lost some of my Youtube features and was put on 6 months probation by Youtube.
Youtube claimed it was a song recorded by a person named Lang Lang. So I just deleted the video after all the work.
I've also recorded a friends band who does cover songs and have been hit with many third party copyright violations and had advertisements hung on his videos.
So at this point I`m just living with it.
Thanks!!
2017-4-19
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

I understand your frustration and that your initial aim was not making money but sharing with people.
And I'm sure videos like the one on NYT are highly appreciated in the environmentally concerned community.
It feels just natural to expect compensation when commercial media uses it for their purpose.

But this is the price you pay when taking advantage of a platform that allows you to spread your footage world wide without paying a dime.

See it the positive way. Not many get the chance to ever have their footage published by NYT.  
Maybe you become famous now ;-)

I have two videos on Youtube and only 160 clicks!

2017-4-19
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-19 12:33
I understand your frustration and that your initial aim was not making money but sharing with people.
And I'm sure videos like the one on NYT are highly appreciated in the environmentally concerned community.
It feels just natural to expect compensation when commercial media uses it for their purpose.

Thanks for your time and effort helping me.
2017-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules