OK photos but Flickering/noisy Video - 4k really blurry.
1982 14 2017-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans952c3b29
New
Flight distance : 201519 ft
Germany

Hey guys,

I have my second Mavic now (first one had a defective camera) and after taking some photos I thought this one is okay now. But after starting to shoot videos I have the impression that something is not Ok with the camera.

It produces videos that are flickering and noisy, no matter which camera settings I use. I shot these two clips with fixed exposure and fixed white balance in D-Cinelike. Both show flicker and noise that gets even more annoying after color grading. While the 2.7K footage is at least somehow sharps I have the impression the 4k footage is really blurry. Shutter speeds aren't optimal but I also tried in conditions with 1/50 or 1/60 shutter and it didn't turn out much better.

What are your opinions on the footage? Do I have too high expectations or is there a problem with the camera/chip/sensor?

Thanks in advance!

2.7K 24fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyPIpGPcYyM

4K 30 fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQkC4ifPFNk

2017-4-18
Use props
trica de
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1062090 ft
  • >>>
Germany

give it a tray with +1 / -1 / +1
2017-4-18
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

The Mavic camera really needs lots of light to really shine. I'm not seeing flicker in either video -- can you be more specific on where and when the flicker is visible on your system?
2017-4-18
Use props
fans952c3b29
New
Germany

Thanks for the replies so far!

@triac de: I tried +1 it just worsens the noise a lot!

@ex machina: it is especially visible in the tree branches in the lower left hand corner. Or in the middle of the top. Hard to differentiate whether its noise, artefacts or flicker
2017-4-18
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

your video quality looks about in line with what ive experienced and seen of other users... With that mavic ive had a really hard time properly exposing for both foreground and sky (with nd filters)...  In my opinion the 2x shutter speed rule goes out the window with a camera of this caliber... Boost up the shutterspeed to underexpose and pull out the shadows in post (trade off is when you do this the mavic has a reallllllly hard time focusing on the underexposed areas)... You didnt mention it but for noise im sure you already know leave the iso at 100.
2017-4-18
Use props
fans952c3b29
New
Germany

Sangarone Posted at 2017-4-18 19:00
your video quality looks about in line with what ive experienced and seen of other users... With that mavic ive had a really hard time properly exposing for both foreground and sky (with nd filters)...  In my opinion the 2x shutter speed rule goes out the window with a camera of this caliber... Boost up the shutterspeed to underexpose and pull out the shadows in post (trade off is when you do this the mavic has a reallllllly hard time focusing on the underexposed areas)... You didnt mention it but for noise im sure you already know leave the iso at 100.

Thanks for your comment. Yes ISO was at 100 already. For me the footage is not usable at all. When I want to color grade it, the grain and flicker becomes even stronger due to increased contrast and I am not satisfied at all. Doesn't compare at all to other videos I've seen.

I just took a shot in low light with a 0.5 second exposure on ISO 100 and can see a tremendous amount of Hotpix in the RAW. Is this to expect as well? Maybe a hint why my sensor is producing so much noise.

2017-4-18
Use props
fans952c3b29
New
Germany

Anyone here with an opinion why the 4K footage looks much more blurry than the 2.7K version?
2017-4-18
Use props
quadflyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184649 ft
Germany

Hi, for me the 4k Footage looks definitely better, than th 2.7k Footage, it's sharper. In the beginning i had the same problems like you. 24FPS is not the best to shot scenes with movement. Better use 30FPS and set the flicker (Hz) to 60Hz instead of 50Hz. This works for me fine and i got nice smooth videos now. Here that was my first video and than i changed the settings like described. Maybe it works for you, too.
24FPS/50Hz

30FPS/60Hz

greetings
Jan
2017-4-18
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

fans952c3b29 Posted at 2017-4-18 22:34
Anyone here with an opinion why the 4K footage looks much more blurry than the 2.7K version?

Hello Jan,

Can you please mentions other settings too.
Dlog with what sharpness/ contrast and saturation?
Any ND filter applied and what shutterspeed?
This would help me allot, thanks!
2017-4-19
Use props
quadflyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184649 ft
Germany

Anoniem Posted at 2017-4-19 01:55
Hello Jan,

Can you please mentions other settings too.

Hi, in this two videos i don't used an ND-Filter. But currently i always use a ND-Filter (ND-8). D-Cinelike is choosen as Color-Profil and my settings for sharpness, contrast and saturation are -1;-1;0.

greetings
2017-4-20
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

Yep this is what to expect the mavic camera...the video is noisy and the NR is bad...it is what it is...
2017-4-20
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

The only thing I found with both of the videos is that neither is really in focus.
I am sure there are far more experienced people than me but I would suggest resetting the camera settings and then take some more video without any adjustments to the settings.
2017-4-20
Use props
seanmiller
New

Philippines

I think hd video are more easy to manipulate in terms of editing.
2017-7-6
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

You have nothing to do this is the mavic camera quality...the noise flicker etc will not be so visible on standard pc monitors but visible on a 4k tv.
2017-7-7
Use props
Tmr204
lvl.1

Did you ever find a solution to this? I feel that the spark produced better footage than the mavic air. I’m kinda gutted I “upgraded”
2018-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules