Excessively Bright White or Over Exposed White
11677 7 2017-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CharlesWhiteman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 923114 ft
United Kingdom

The issue is what appears to be otherwise nicely exposed footage but white appears over-exposed or too bright.  

A number of fellow P4 Pro customers have observed the same problem.
The description in the clip explains what settings were in place, but I would like advise as to what I need to adjust in order to get a more balanced exposure.

Settings: 4K 60fps. D-Cinema Profile. Sunny White Balance. ISO100 & Auto for camera settings. ND4 filter. Coloured in Premiere PRO cc

Examples below where whites look too bright/over exposed:

2017-4-19
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

I'm not sure there's a lot you can do while shooting, except maybe experiment with different color profiles.

During post-processing however, you can play with the highlights or white levels and get things where you want them.
2017-4-19
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You need to adjust the exposure and for video shooting it would help using ND filter. but it is NOT the machine...
2017-4-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The best way to get it correct is to make the camera exposure manual, adjusted via the right thumbwheel, and view the histogram while adjusting so that no highlights pass the right side of the display. Once the highlights are blown out, no amount of adjustment in post is going to bring back the lost detail.
2017-4-19
Use props
CharlesWhiteman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 923114 ft
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-19 19:02
The best way to get it correct is to make the camera exposure manual, adjusted via the right thumbwheel, and view the histogram while adjusting so that no highlights pass the right side of the display. Once the highlights are blown out, no amount of adjustment in post is going to bring back the lost detail.

I would have expected the auto settings on the camera to have been  able to handle it itself, otherwise what's the point of auto settings if they only auto setting wrong.  Clearly it needs more experimentation this little beastie of a marvellous thing!
2017-4-21
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like you have set a little +EV using the right wheel, maybe accidently.  If you want to keep the highlights and white water then you should set a little -EV instead, no need to use manual settings.

Unless you are going to post-process it correctly, leave it on normal rather than D-Cinema and adjust the EV depending on what is being recorded.
2017-4-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

CharlesWhiteman Posted at 2017-4-21 12:05
I would have expected the auto settings on the camera to have been  able to handle it itself, otherwise what's the point of auto settings if they only auto setting wrong.  Clearly it needs more experimentation this little beastie of a marvellous thing!

Auto is going to look at the scene and give you a setting that gives a nice average exposure.
That's fine when the scene is fairly uniform but when you have bright areas and dark areas, average might not be right for either extreme.
This gets more complicated when you look at the size of the bright or dark areas and how much they contribute to the average for the whole scene.

Your boat video looks like it might be washed out even in the dark areas.
Check the EV value on your screen.
If it's showing EV+1.0 or any other + number, you have set the camera to over expose and need to dial that back.
EV0 is the neutral setting.
2017-4-21
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Follow the advice of Geebax and Labroides. I have nothing to add.
2017-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules