Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is Apple ProRes worth the price?
625 6 2017-4-20 02:05:53
RgrDat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 203104
United States

Hey Guys, so I just got myself an Inspire 2 w/ X5S and I will be using it quite a bit for filming before editing my work in FCPX.  If I bought the ProRes key, what difference would I notice when I import into Final Cut?  (Other than the 5.2k)
2017-4-20 02:05:53
Use props
fans27185e09
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9221
Sweden

Hi! I have both licenses, and the difference isnt significant in any way. I personally like Prores codec even more than Cinemadng, atleast if you're not after raw format. Prores gives you great detail and good low light quality. You can also record 5.2k in Prores
2017-4-20 04:00:20
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236728
United States

I bought the ProRes license and have used it for multiple flights. However, unless you need the 5K resolution or are going to do some heavy post-production work, I wouldn't buy it. I bought mine because of the possibility of some commercial work. Even then, I found that some prospective customers want H.264 or H.265 because the end result will be highly compressed and they won't be doing much color grading/correcting. Don't get me wrong, it looks great and is nice to not have to transcode to an editor-friendly format but the files are huge (actually limited to 4GB each but there are MANY 4GB files) and the end result for my content is not that much (if any) different. I take H.265 files from my X5S and transcode them to ProRes with Brorsoft before using them in FCPX. In Vegas Pro 14 I have it create proxy files to edit with.

Anyway, I'm definitely not bad-mouthing the ProRes solution but it adds quite a bit of cost to the equation and may not garner any additional benefit. It depends on the intended use of the files.
2017-4-20 05:27:47
Use props
RgrDat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 203104
United States

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2017-4-20 05:27
I bought the ProRes license and have used it for multiple flights. However, unless you need the 5K resolution or are going to do some heavy post-production work, I wouldn't buy it. I bought mine because of the possibility of some commercial work. Even then, I found that some prospective customers want H.264 or H.265 because the end result will be highly compressed and they won't be doing much color grading/correcting. Don't get me wrong, it looks great and is nice to not have to transcode to an editor-friendly format but the files are huge (actually limited to 4GB each but there are MANY 4GB files) and the end result for my content is not that much (if any) different. I take H.265 files from my X5S and transcode them to ProRes with Brorsoft before using them in FCPX. In Vegas Pro 14 I have it create proxy files to edit with.

Anyway, I'm definitely not bad-mouthing the ProRes solution but it adds quite a bit of cost to the equation and may not garner any additional benefit. It depends on the intended use of the files.

That is exactly what I wanted/needed to know. Thanks brotha. I'm gonna hold off, indefinitely. Maybe one day but no time soon.  Anyway, thanks again.
2017-4-20 06:47:02
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 241104
  • >>>
United States

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2017-4-20 05:27

If you are not using the licenses and are using he X5S camera, would you be recording only to the SD card? I was wondering if the SSD is still needed when only using the non-Prores codex etc.

Thanks for any comments you can add.

Rich
2017-4-20 07:45:12
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
United States

Yes, you would record only to the SD card and would not need the SSD inserted. You can also leave the SSD inserted and turn off recording to it in the camera settings. I don't have my drone with me so I can't provide a screen shot but the screen has 3 parts once you have the SSD inserted. The top part lets you select items that are common to both SSD and SD recording. Below that the screen is split in 2 with the SSD settings on the left and the SD settings on the right. There is an option to turn off recording to SSD on the left. Unless I find out that the SSD has a noticeable difference on the battery life, I will probably leave it inserted even if I'm not using it. The SSD is very light so the weight probably won't affect it much. It will also use some battery power just to run the electronics but, again, I think that would be negligible.
2017-4-20 11:18:30
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
United States

RgrDat Posted at 2017-4-20 06:47
That is exactly what I wanted/needed to know. Thanks brotha. I'm gonna hold off, indefinitely. Maybe one day but no time soon.  Anyway, thanks again.

You're welcome. Glad to help.
2017-4-20 11:18:49
Use props
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules

Close

DJI RecommendsPrevious /1 Next