How do most people store/manage their video?
8340 29 2017-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hagbard
lvl.1

United States

[size=14.6667px]I notice when many people share their video it is via a Dropbox link. Is this where most people keep their video? It seems kind of hard to organize/manage in a file system. Are there any good apps that make it easy to store, organize, and share? Thanks in advance!
2017-4-20
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

Google Drive works well for me.
2017-4-20
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hagbard, I can't speak for others, but I only upload my videos to the cloud when I want to share them. They are too large to distribute via email, so I provide links from Dropbox or Google Drive (I use both). If I just want to publish for general viewing, I'll post on Facebook or Youtube.

Otherwise, I have a 4-drive NAS on my home network where I store all of my raw footage and processed videos. I manage them just using folder structures.
2017-4-20
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Harddrives, normal folders. Share on YT.  Never FB, too lossy (only links on FB to YT).
2017-4-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Similar to Punchbuggy here, I have 2 x 4TB drives in a NAS set up in RAID1 configuration (where one drive is a clone of the other for data security). I have only used dropbox for fie sharing, cloud storage is a good idea. But I prefer to keep my files under my own control.
2017-4-20
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I use YouTube, and have years of videos there.  Another site is Flickr - I believe it has no max space limits for their users.
2017-4-20
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-4-20 18:34
I use YouTube, and have years of videos there.  Another site is Flickr - I believe it has no max space limits for their users.

I drop all my videos and photos in a dedicated folder on my Windows PC which then gets automatically relocated to separate video and photo folders on a NAS at the end of each week. All those videos on the NAS are then shared with local network devices via a DLNA server on the NAS or via direct access to the folders on the NAS itself.
2017-4-20
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-4-20 21:11
I drop all my videos and photos in a dedicated folder on my Windows PC which then gets automatically relocated to separate video and photo folders on a NAS at the end of each week. All those videos on the NAS are then shared with local network devices via a DLNA server on the NAS or via direct access to the folders on the NAS itself.

Your TLAs are not familiar to me.  (TLA = Three Letter Acronym)  ;)
2017-4-20
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

I keep them in my rack server at home.
2017-4-20
Use props
PartsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 418346 ft
United States

I keep all of mine on a 9TB Seagate expansion drive. Since my Mavic and Phantom 4 are set to continuous file naming and I started the mavic later there is no conflict in filenames.
2017-4-21
Use props
markdaviesmedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 464961 ft
United States

I wrestle with this also but I have settled on a workable compromise for now. Here's my set up:

I have an iMac with a 1 TB hybrid drive and a 2 TB external HD. I prefer to edit with Final Cut Pro X on the iMac but I also occasionally use a MacBook Air or an iPad Pro and do some basic editing in Photos or iMovie.

I have a Google account with (essentially) unlimited space.

First, I usually drag the original files (usually video files) onto the iMac hard drive and from there I open the files with QuickTime, and scan and select clips and then save them separately. Simple process using QuickTime.

The selected clips, which will be used in Final Cut, go to a folder that remains on the local drive.

The original clips go to a separate folder - usually with some reference to the date and content: "04_18_2017 - Main Street Property". That folder is moved to a folder with similar, original videos and it is synced to Google Drive (copy in the cloud, copy saved locally). That folder is also copied off to the external drive. Eventually, I unsync that folder from Google Drive to free up local drive space but it remains on Google Drive and it remains on the external drive.

Eventually, I am going to get tight on local space because of the amassed selected clips but I'll probably do the same thing with them - offload to the external and upload to the Google Drive cloud space.

HTH.

-
2017-4-21
Use props
Meme_master
New
Flight distance : 24459 ft
Slovenia

I have 2 TB hard drive
It's more than enough for me
Fly safe
2017-4-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-4-20 14:25
Harddrives, normal folders. Share on YT.  Never FB, too lossy (only links on FB to YT).

+1 .....................
2017-4-21
Use props
AllanFG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 448031 ft
United States

I store them on my computer and I have a cloud backup solution (crashplan.com)
2017-4-21
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

I keep the original, unedited files on a 2nd RAID array on my PC and a copy on my 8-drive Synology NAS. Finished videos are stored on my Microsoft OneDrive in the "Public" folder. Most of my stuff is 4K and I don't like the quality degradation of YouTube's compression. OneDrive also allows people to easily download for offline viewing.  I do upload some of the finished videos to YouTube but I like to use copyrighted music. Some copyrighted music just causes advertisements to be displayed but others cause the audio to be stripped out.
2017-4-21
Use props
FuZZyPiLOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1353215 ft
Ireland

2 X NAS @ 8TB each and Youtube for videos i feel like sharing.
2017-4-21
Use props
dazza.uk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 743110 ft
United Kingdom

All my files are stored on computer and organised into pictures and videos and then by date.

To share drop box or you tube.
2017-4-21
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-4-20 21:22

Another definition for 'via' is 'by way of'.   HTH

;-)
2017-4-21
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

Buy a hard drive and you'll never have to worry about losing any video and I'ts always right there no matter what.
2017-4-21
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a Western Digital 8TB RAID system on my WIndows PC.  Anything I care about is stored there for redundancy.  Selected videos are also uploaded to FB or YT for sharing as needed.  Named folders there helps sort out the data by time frame and topic.

A second 8TB RAID system is connected to the macOS side, but that is not related to video data.  

I also have a couple of 4TB Western DIgital systems for other data.  One is cloud based for remote access and the other for older backups.

I use Time Machine on the macOS side for backups and NovaBackup on the PC side for anything else that matters that is not stored on the RAID systems (like the SSD boot drive).
2017-4-22
Use props
Hagbard
lvl.1

United States

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-4-22 00:06
I have a Western Digital 8TB RAID system on my WIndows PC.  Anything I care about is stored there for redundancy.  Selected videos are also uploaded to FB or YT for sharing as needed.  Named folders there helps sort out the data by time frame and topic.

A second 8TB RAID system is connected to the macOS side, but that is not related to video data.  

You are not messing around. That is a serious setup.  How much video have you accumulated in terms of file size?
2017-4-24
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hagbard Posted at 2017-4-24 14:22
You are not messing around. That is a serious setup.  How much video have you accumulated in terms of file size?

My setup is more focused on software development than drone files.  The clear goal is to never lose a single byte of anything I care about.  That includes software source code, misc data files, lots of pictures via conventional digital cameras...and drone files.  Today I have about 400GB of drone data, which is growing by the day.
2017-4-25
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-4-20 21:22

NAS = Network Attached Storage. Essentially, a bunch of hard drives accessible by devices on the network (or remotely, if capable and enabled).
DLNA = Digital Living Network Alliance. A protocol used to share digital data between multimedia devices. Typically used by a media streamer (which include smart TVs and current-generation Bluray players) to access and play files stored on a DLNA-supporting NAS or PC.
2017-4-25
Use props
Max App
lvl.3
Flight distance : 781624 ft
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-4-20 14:21
Hagbard, I can't speak for others, but I only upload my videos to the cloud when I want to share them. They are too large to distribute via email, so I provide links from Dropbox or Google Drive (I use both). If I just want to publish for general viewing, I'll post on Facebook or Youtube.

Otherwise, I have a 4-drive NAS on my home network where I store all of my raw footage and processed videos. I manage them just using folder structures.

exact same here
2017-4-25
Use props
Copepe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118340 ft
United States

Question: How can I have the video stream from my Mavic Pro Platinum go directly to a predetermined folder in Google Drive in my tablet?
2018-4-3
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-4-20 15:14
Similar to Punchbuggy here, I have 2 x 4TB drives in a NAS set up in RAID1 configuration (where one drive is a clone of the other for data security). I have only used dropbox for fie sharing, cloud storage is a good idea. But I prefer to keep my files under my own control.

Yep reckon this is the way to go then all you have to worry about is cataloguing your drives so you can fin the clips. Not easy!
2018-4-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Copepe Posted at 2018-4-3 15:39
Question: How can I have the video stream from my Mavic Pro Platinum go directly to a predetermined folder in Google Drive in my tablet?

You can't. The transfer of the FPV feed is under the control of the Go App, and there is no facility to re-direct it.
2018-4-3
Use props
Quivell
lvl.1

Ukraine

ibuyufo Posted at 2017-4-20 21:45
I keep them in my rack server at home.

I actually own a server racks too. It's one of the best server racks providers, in my opinion: sysracks.com They are also provide detaild information on them so be sure to check it out.
2019-1-29
Use props
djiuser_eqJGGvmjPwGZ
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I’m having a bit of a dilemma trying to organise my videos/photos.
They get stored on my synology NAS which gets backed up to a portable drive.
I tend to organise footage into folders with the date as the heading and maybe a brief description.
Anyway, I then like to view the content on my large screen TV.
Now I’m not sure if it’s the synology file structure or the way the dlna handles the data but basically a photo in the video shared folder will not be seen and vice versa. So, I need to separate the videos from the photos. This a pain as it means I need to have a duplicate folder in each of the synology video and photo shares. And obviously navigate from the one to the other to show the content.
It seems a shame I can’t have the videos and photos all stored in the same directory.
Perhaps it’s just me or anyone else a similar problem?
2020-11-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hard drives are the best way to store in the longer term
2020-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now