12Next >
15206 77 2017-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29544 ft
Australia

Has anybody been able to get the RAW (DNG) files from the Mavic to load into Apple's Photos software? I don't use Lightroom or Photoshop, but do like to shoot in RAW.  I had no issues with the DNG files from my old Phantom 3 Advanced.  For now, I am using JPEG but would much prefer RAW.  Help gratefully received.
2017-4-21
Use props
fansde8b3c54
lvl.2
Flight distance : 727799 ft
Australia

I use Mac and no issues. What happens when you try and use RAW? Jpeg is a smaller file as you probably know.
2017-4-21
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

fansde8b3c54 Posted at 2017-4-21 01:17
I use Mac and no issues. What happens when you try and use RAW? Jpeg is a smaller file as you probably know.

Thanks for replying. When I try and import the DNG file rom the card it just shows up as a blank icon. Similarly, if I try and open it directly, the OS says it is an unrecognised format. For now I'll use JPEG, but prefer RAW for editing. I find myself it a little hard to believe that a company as big as DJI would use a poorly compatable format. As I was able to open a Mavic DNG I downloaded, I'm wondering if there is a setting I have got wrong.
2017-4-21
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

What is the version of Photos App you are using? And what version of Mac OS you are using?

I can access and open Mavic Pro's DNG files using Preview App, and I can access and edit Mavic Pro's DNG files using Photos App. I am running Mac OS X 10.12.4 and am running Photos App version 2.0 (3150.4.120), both of them are current at this moment.

I remember when I received my Mavic Pro in Novemeber last year, I could access, open and view Mavic Pro's DNG files with such versions of Mac OS X and Photos App which were current at that moment.

Henry

2017-4-21
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-4-21 06:56
What is the version of Photos App you are using? And what version of Mac OS you are using?

I can access and open Mavic Pro's DNG files using Preview App, and I can access and edit Mavic Pro's DNG files using Photos App. I am running Mac OS X 10.12.4 and am running Photos App version 2.0 (3150.4.120), both of them are current at this moment.

I'm on Sierra 10.12.4 and Photos 2.0.  The Mavic is whatever the recent Firmware version is (.6 something).  It is odd, I exchanged a 'straight from SD card' photo with a friend, who has a Mavic and he could only open mine in Lightroom, not Photos or Preview.  His open fine on everything on my Mac.  Both Cameras are shown as FC220 in the EXIF and we are both running the same firmware.
2017-4-21
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-4-21 15:06
I'm on Sierra 10.12.4 and Photos 2.0.  The Mavic is whatever the recent Firmware version is (.6 something).  It is odd, I exchanged a 'straight from SD card' photo with a friend, who has a Mavic and he could only open mine in Lightroom, not Photos or Preview.  His open fine on everything on my Mac.  Both Cameras are shown as FC220 in the EXIF and we are both running the same firmware.

That makes no sense to me. Can you post one of your DNG somewhere where we can take a look?
2017-4-21
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-21 18:14
That makes no sense to me. Can you post one of your DNG somewhere where we can take a look?

That would be really helpful.  Here is a link to one in my dropbox.  It was transferred straight from the SD card to dropbox.  I didn't open any software. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v8iey ... rKRdlAiF0QiELa?dl=0
2017-4-21
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-4-21 18:53
That would be really helpful.  Here is a link to one in my dropbox.  It was transferred straight from the SD card to dropbox.  I didn't open any software. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v8ieycmh1unvzml/AAAeB3BW37JrKRdlAiF0QiELa?dl=0

Welp, the first thing that's amusing is the file shows a last modified date as in my future. ;)

I'm seeing the same thing you described. The DNG shows a generic Adobe DNG icon instead of a preview, refuses to open in Preview or preview in the Finder via QuickLook, opens in Lightroom/Photoshop just fine.

Things I notice in EXIF:
- No GPS coords -- did you strip them? If not, that's unexpected.
- Different creator versions, yours is "v02.06.484", mine is "v02.02.5629"
- Yours is lacking  kMDItemColorSpace and kMDItemBitsPerSample entries entirely, mine has kMDItemColorSpace = "RGB" and kMDItemBitsPerSample=64

Those last two seem important.

Did you just receive your Mavic recently?
2017-4-21
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-21 19:57
Welp, the first thing that's amusing is the file shows a last modified date as in my future. ;)

I'm seeing the same thing you described. The DNG shows a generic Adobe DNG icon instead of a preview, refuses to open in Preview or preview in the Finder via QuickLook, opens in Lightroom/Photoshop just fine.

Thanks you for helping.  I'm in Australia so am in the future!!!  Drone is brand new - arrived yesterday.  I haven't stripped anything so I guess that could be my problem.  I wonder how I fix that?
2017-4-21
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-4-21 20:20
Thanks you for helping.  I'm in Australia so am in the future!!!  Drone is brand new - arrived yesterday.  I haven't stripped anything so I guess that could be my problem.  I wonder how I fix that?

I'm not aware of any way to disable GPS saving to exif data from the Go 4 interface.

This is super-weird.

It could be something they've done with the latest production run -- at this point I think I'd open a support case with DJI and try to figure out why you are seeing what you are seeing, why GPS coords appear to be missing from your DNG EXIF, and why the bit depth and color space declarations are also missing from your EXIF data.

2017-4-21
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-21 20:54
I'm not aware of any way to disable GPS saving to exif data from the Go 4 interface.

This is super-weird.

Sounds like a plan. I did do the 'Chat' thing with DJI but the person I was typing to didn't seem particularly helpful.
2017-4-21
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-21 20:54

This is super-weird.

Sounds like a plan. I did do the 'Chat' thing with DJI but the person I was typing to didn't seem particularly helpful.
2017-4-21
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-4-21 20:20

I tried to open it in Lightroom and it shows up on the map outside Africa, and at -70 meter in the middle of the ocean??? Others from that the Exif data is there, date is wrong also like you stated Earlier.

I don't know but could it be something wrong with the card? Had some similar experiences with my DSLR with a bad memory card.

I agree with Ex machina about opening a case if the problem persists  
2017-4-21
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Flybee Posted at 2017-4-21 21:56
I tried to open it in Lightroom and it shows up on the map outside Africa, and at -70 meter in the middle of the ocean??? Others from that the Exif data is there, date is wrong also like you stated Earlier.

I don't know but could it be something wrong with the card? Had some similar experiences with my DSLR with a bad memory card.

I've done as you both suggested and sent a support request email to DJI.  I have already tried several different SD cards and reformatted each, within the drone.  I'll update when I get any results.  Feel free to chip in if anybody has any bright ideas.
2017-4-21
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-4-21 22:06
I've done as you both suggested and sent a support request email to DJI.  I have already tried several different SD cards and reformatted each, within the drone.  I'll update when I get any results.  Feel free to chip in if anybody has any bright ideas.

Where did you take this foto? It does not look like it was shot in the ocean outside Africa at least?

Hope it will be solved so you can have proper information with your photos

Good luck
2017-4-21
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Flybee Posted at 2017-4-21 22:07
Where did you take this foto? It does not look like it was shot in the ocean outside Africa at least?

Hope it will be solved so you can have proper information with your photos

I'm afraid I didn't take any exotic trips to Africa.  This was just a slightly better quality test shot than the random ones of the clutter on my dining room table, as I tried to sort this problem out.  I'm a bit OCD and want to get this sorted before I do too much with the drone.
2017-4-21
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-4-21 23:08
I'm afraid I didn't take any exotic trips to Africa.  This was just a slightly better quality test shot than the random ones of the clutter on my dining room table, as I tried to sort this problem out.  I'm a bit OCD and want to get this sorted before I do too much with the drone.

That location is what you get when your GPS coords are 0,0. ;)

For reference, the full EXIF for that sample image:

iMac:~ lfrancis$ mdls /Users/lfrancis/Downloads/DJI_0002.DNG
_kMDItemOwnerUserID            = 501
kMDItemAcquisitionMake         = "DJI"
kMDItemAcquisitionModel        = "FC220"
kMDItemAltitude                = -69.955
kMDItemAperture                = 2.27
kMDItemContentCreationDate     = 2017-04-22 16:48:34 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate = 2017-04-22 16:48:34 +0000
kMDItemContentType             = "com.adobe.raw-image"
kMDItemContentTypeTree         = (
    "com.adobe.raw-image",
    "public.item",
    "public.image",
    "public.data",
    "public.camera-raw-image",
    "public.content"
)
kMDItemCreator                 = "v02.06.484"
kMDItemDateAdded               = 2017-04-22 04:42:53 +0000
kMDItemDisplayName             = "DJI_0002.DNG"
kMDItemEXIFGPSVersion          = "2.3.0.0"
kMDItemEXIFVersion             = "2.3"
kMDItemExposureMode            = 0
kMDItemExposureProgram         = 2
kMDItemExposureTimeSeconds     = 0.002185000129443136
kMDItemFlashOnOff              = 0
kMDItemFNumber                 = 2.2
kMDItemFocalLength             = 4.73
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate     = 2017-04-22 06:48:34 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate          = 2017-04-22 03:16:47 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode           = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags           = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon         = (null)
kMDItemFSInvisible             = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden     = 0
kMDItemFSIsStationery          = (null)
kMDItemFSLabel                 = 0
kMDItemFSName                  = "DJI_0002.DNG"
kMDItemFSNodeCount             = (null)
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID          = 20
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID           = 501
kMDItemFSSize                  = 24266935
kMDItemFSTypeCode              = ""
kMDItemHasAlphaChannel         = 0
kMDItemISOSpeed                = 100
kMDItemKind                    = "Digital Negative file"
kMDItemLastUsedDate            = 2017-04-22 04:59:59 +0000
kMDItemLatitude                = 0
kMDItemLogicalSize             = 24266935
kMDItemLongitude               = 0
kMDItemOrientation             = 0
kMDItemPhysicalSize            = 24268800
kMDItemPixelCount              = 0
kMDItemRedEyeOnOff             = 0
kMDItemUseCount                = 7
kMDItemUsedDates               = (
    "2017-04-21 04:00:00 +0000",
    "2017-04-22 04:00:00 +0000"
)
kMDItemWhiteBalance            = 0

2017-4-23
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-23 20:49

I guess if you quickly launched and took that photo before the GPS had a chance to lock, you could get the result we see where the lat/long are both zero. Do you remember if you had received GPS lock at launch?
2017-4-23
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-23 20:49

A second glance shows a few more seemingly important missing EXIF data items and values -- absent in your sample but included in mine:

kMDItemPixelCount              = 11944064
kMDItemPixelHeight             = 2992
kMDItemPixelWidth              = 3992
kMDItemProfileName             = "Adobe RGB (1998)"
2017-4-23
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-23 21:00
A second glance shows a few more seemingly important missing EXIF data items and values -- absent in your sample but included in mine:

kMDItemPixelCount              = 11944064

I'm getting GPS data in my JPEGs.  I'll confess that I don't recall if I had GPS lock for the photo I posted.  I may not have as I didn't fly the drone, just hold it up and take a photo.  I agree that the lack of profile data is very likely what is stopping my DNG files being opened.  Goodness knows why it is happening though.  I emailed DJI and am awaiting a reply.
2017-4-23
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-4-23 21:44
I'm getting GPS data in my JPEGs.  I'll confess that I don't recall if I had GPS lock for the photo I posted.  I may not have as I didn't fly the drone, just hold it up and take a photo.  I agree that the lack of profile data is very likely what is stopping my DNG files being opened.  Goodness knows why it is happening though.  I emailed DJI and am awaiting a reply.

GPS data is probably my fault - I didn't give the Mavic enough sunlight to get the data, hence the Africa coordinates (0,0).  I've now tried all three of the last firmware and four different SD cards, formatted on the drone and on the computer.   I've tried three different (Mac) computers.  None of this has helped.  DJI responded to my email but their suggestion was that I buy a PC and subscribe to Adobe software I don't want to use.  I'm waiting upon a response to the obvious reply to that situation!
2017-4-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-4-25 05:49
GPS data is probably my fault - I didn't give the Mavic enough sunlight to get the data, hence the Africa coordinates (0,0).  I've now tried all three of the last firmware and four different SD cards, formatted on the drone and on the computer.   I've tried three different (Mac) computers.  None of this has helped.  DJI responded to my email but their suggestion was that I buy a PC and subscribe to Adobe software I don't want to use.  I'm waiting upon a response to the obvious reply to that situation!

Well that's disappointing news -- did they directly respond to the other missing EXIF data items?
2017-4-25
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-25 06:33
Well that's disappointing news -- did they directly respond to the other missing EXIF data items?

Alas not. They claimed they couldn't download the sample file I posted earlier in this thread, so I have relinked that and am awaiting another reply. I'm really baffled what is causing this. I find it hard to see how it could be a hardware issue but am using the same firmware and software as others. Apart from this issue I'm really happy with the Mavic, so may have to push for a warranty repair / replacement, if there isn't a settings or software fix. That would be very disappointing.
2017-4-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-4-25 18:25
Alas not. They claimed they couldn't download the sample file I posted earlier in this thread, so I have relinked that and am awaiting another reply. I'm really baffled what is causing this. I find it hard to see how it could be a hardware issue but am using the same firmware and software as others. Apart from this issue I'm really happy with the Mavic, so may have to push for a warranty repair / replacement, if there isn't a settings or software fix. That would be very disappointing.

Yeah, it's super-weird. I would have expected our creator versions to match if whatever qualifies as the "creator" was something that lives in firmware; since it doesn't match, I can only guess that it's a hardware difference.

You should def push for a replacement if a software fix is not forthcoming, but if it is a production run issue, best to sort that out first so your replacement doesn't end up having the same problem.
2017-4-25
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-25 19:13
Yeah, it's super-weird. I would have expected our creator versions to match if whatever qualifies as the "creator" was something that lives in firmware; since it doesn't match, I can only guess that it's a hardware difference.

You should def push for a replacement if a software fix is not forthcoming, but if it is a production run issue, best to sort that out first so your replacement doesn't end up having the same problem.

Well.  Here is my response from DJI:

"As I checked the RAW on our end, it works well on our PC.
Now that the other PCs can open the file with Lightroom, it shows that the drone and camera itself works
For RAW pictures, you are recommended to use professional software to check.

Have a nice day!"

Basically - buy a new computer and use Lightroom.  To be absolutely sure, you have no issue opening these files in Apple Preview or Photos.
2017-4-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-4-25 19:29
Well.  Here is my response from DJI:

"As I checked the RAW on our end, it works well on our PC.

That's nonsense. DNG is an open format and when properly written should be openable by any app that supports that format. The fact that that only Adobe products can open the files suggests Adobe goes above and beyond what the format itself calls for.

Here, I can prove it -- if you download the Adobe DNG Converter and run your Mavic DNGs through it, the converted versions should open fine in Photos and Preview.

Looking at the EXIF data from the converted DNG I can now see the items missing from your shared sample file -- if Adobe says the missing EXIF elements are needed for proper DNG formatting by example of what its converter outputs, then DJI should be doing the same. And of course they are doing the same for older Mavic production runs, as evidenced by myself and your friend's testing and experience. I mean, your Mavic problem could be isolated to your one unit, but it seems unlikely.

You should confirm that the converter fixes your files, and then ask your support contact why Adobe's converter is fixing your Mavic's files -- why, indeed, does your Mavic fail to add the missing EXIF data elements? You may need to escalate the case to someone over there who is familiar with the Mac ecosystem, and possibly enlist the help of one of the moderators here.

2017-4-25
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-25 20:22
That's nonsense. DNG is an open format and when properly written should be openable by any app that supports that format. The fact that that only Adobe products can open the files suggests Adobe goes above and beyond what the format itself calls for.

Here, I can prove it -- if you download the Adobe DNG Converter and run your Mavic DNGs through it, the converted versions should open fine in Photos and Preview.

I've already tried Adobe DNG Converter and can confirm that it adds in the missing metadata and makes the files work on everything (Photos, Preview etc).  I've already replied to DJI and suggested this will soon become a warranty issue and specifically asked them to address the missing metadata question.  We will see.  I really appreciate all your help here.
2017-4-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-4-25 20:29
I've already tried Adobe DNG Converter and can confirm that it adds in the missing metadata and makes the files work on everything (Photos, Preview etc).  I've already replied to DJI and suggested this will soon become a warranty issue and specifically asked them to address the missing metadata question.  We will see.  I really appreciate all your help here.

Glad to help. Sometimes it just takes a few passes at support to get them to understand the issue.
2017-4-26
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-26 05:57
Glad to help. Sometimes it just takes a few passes at support to get them to understand the issue.

Once again, you are right.  I pointed them at this thread, so expect a job offer soon!  They are arranging to take the drone back and have a look at it.
2017-4-26
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-4-26 13:02
Once again, you are right.  I pointed them at this thread, so expect a job offer soon!  They are arranging to take the drone back and have a look at it.

That's awesome, except for the fact that you'll be out of a drone for a bit. Keep us aprised!
2017-4-26
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Got my first response from DJI, since I sent the drone back. Somewhat predictably: "it's not us, it's you. None of our test drones DNG files will open on the Mac. By the way, which version of iPhoto are you using?"  I've replied and linked to this thread. I also explained that iPhoto is rather obsolete and that others are using their Mac without issue. I guess it was to be expected that I would have to go through the same steps I already went through with Online Support. Back to waiting!
2017-5-9
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Great news. A replacement is being sent. I'll update, when I get it and test it.
2017-5-10
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-5-9 16:52
Got my first response from DJI, since I sent the drone back. Somewhat predictably: "it's not us, it's you. None of our test drones DNG files will open on the Mac. By the way, which version of iPhoto are you using?"  I've replied and linked to this thread. I also explained that iPhoto is rather obsolete and that others are using their Mac without issue. I guess it was to be expected that I would have to go through the same steps I already went through with Online Support. Back to waiting!

I guess if the theory that the latest production run has this problem, and the QA department is using test Mavics from that production run, then their response could be expected.

Good that they're sending you a replacement, hopefully that means they finally understood the problem.
2017-5-10
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-10 07:22
I guess if the theory that the latest production run has this problem, and the QA department is using test Mavics from that production run, then their response could be expected.

Good that they're sending you a replacement, hopefully that means they finally understood the problem.

I guess we will see
2017-5-10
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Great news!  My replacement Mavic Pro arrived today.  I have not had time to test extensively but the DNG files seem to work.  They load into Preview or Photos without issue.  I still don't get thumbnails in Finder, but neither did I with my friend's DNG files, so I think that probably is an Apple issue.  Basically I am very happy and grateful to DJI for sorting this out.  I also appreciate all your help Ex Machina.
2017-5-15
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-5-15 19:27
Great news!  My replacement Mavic Pro arrived today.  I have not had time to test extensively but the DNG files seem to work.  They load into Preview or Photos without issue.  I still don't get thumbnails in Finder, but neither did I with my friend's DNG files, so I think that probably is an Apple issue.  Basically I am very happy and grateful to DJI for sorting this out.  I also appreciate all your help Ex Machina.

Awesome news! I do get thumbnails, but it might be a Finder thing that is slow to update or something. Did they ever describe the problem they needed to address?
2017-5-15
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-15 19:51
Awesome news! I do get thumbnails, but it might be a Finder thing that is slow to update or something. Did they ever describe the problem they needed to address?

No.  They just sent me a new one that works.  The Finder thing might be my fault.  When the old files were not working I downloaded a dodgy extension that claimed to make thumbnails work.  It did do that but didn't actually make the files readable and was only free for a month.  I ended up uninstalling it but may have broken something when I did so.  They work on my (ancient) MacBook, just take forever to generate!
2017-5-15
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

did you in fact receive a NEW Mavic Pro or did you get a refurbished replacement?
2017-5-16
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-5-15 20:06
No.  They just sent me a new one that works.  The Finder thing might be my fault.  When the old files were not working I downloaded a dodgy extension that claimed to make thumbnails work.  It did do that but didn't actually make the files readable and was only free for a month.  I ended up uninstalling it but may have broken something when I did so.  They work on my (ancient) MacBook, just take forever to generate!

How bout posting the full EXIF data from new DNGs when you get a chance? Would be interesting to compare.
2017-5-16
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-5-16 09:29
did you in fact receive a NEW Mavic Pro or did you get a refurbished replacement?

How would I tell?  It came nicely packaged in the box and I didn't see any signs of ware and tear.  I'll assume it was new.
2017-5-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules