15205 77 2017-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29544 ft
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-16 09:59
How bout posting the full EXIF data from new DNGs when you get a chance? Would be interesting to compare.

Here you go:
Aperture Value: 2.27
Body Serial Number: 2016041101
CFA Pattern: 0, 1, 1, 2
Contrast: Normal
Custom Rendered: Normal process
Date Time Digitized: 17 May 2017, 10:29:42 am
Date Time Original: 17 May 2017, 10:29:42 am
Digital Zoom Ratio: 0
Exif Version: 2.3
Exposure Bias Value: 0
Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Exposure Program: Normal program
Exposure Time: 1/480
File Source: DSC
Flash: No flash function
FNumber: 2.2
Focal Length: 4.73
Focal Length In 35mm Film: 26
Gain Control: None
Photographic Sensitivity (ISO): 100
Lens Specification: 26.3, 26.3, 2.2, 2.2
Light Source: unknown
Max Aperture Value: 2.27
Metering Mode: CenterWeightedAverage
Saturation: Normal
Scene Capture Type: Standard
Scene Type: A directly photographed image
Sharpness: Normal
Shutter Speed Value: 1/480
Subject Distance: 0
Subject Distance Range: unknown
White Balance: Auto white balance
Lens Info: 26.3, 26.3, 2.2, 2.2
Lens Model: 26.3 mm f/2.2
Serial Number: 2016041101
Color Model: RGB
Depth: 16
Orientation: 1 (Normal)
Pixel Height: 2,992
Pixel Width: 3,992
Profile Name: Adobe RGB (1998)
DNG Backward Version: 1.3
DNG Version: 1.4
Unique Camera Model: FC220
Altitude: 58.9 m (193.25 ft)
Altitude Reference: below sea level
GPS Version: 2.3.0.0
Latitude: 33° 7’ 6.06” S
Longitude: 151° 38’ 53.538” E

The DNG was straight off the SD card and the data from the various tabs in the inspector page of Preview.
2017-5-16
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Here's a link to the new photo, in my DropBox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ob5cmzpch0njfmz/DJI_0002.DNG?dl=0
2017-5-16
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-5-16 22:40
Here's a link to the new photo, in my DropBox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ob5cmzpch0njfmz/DJI_0002.DNG?dl=0

Looks like the same kMDItemCreator version as your original Mavic, so I guess it really was just a weirdo one-off problem rather than a production run problem. Glad you got it sorted!
2017-5-17
Use props
HeadOn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1903835 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-17 06:00
Looks like the same kMDItemCreator version as your original Mavic, so I guess it really was just a weirdo one-off problem rather than a production run problem. Glad you got it sorted!

Looks like it isn't exactly a one-off, since my Mavic began exhibiting this exact same problem after the latest firmware update a week or so ago.  Prior to that, DNG files were correctly formatted and working. Ever since the firmware update however,  I am seeing the exact same symptoms as the original poster.

I'll reach out to DJI this week and see what they say.  I'm grateful for this thread and hope that it will help me explain this to DJI for a quick resolution.  I've started to really enjoy and rely on the the RAW capabilities of my Mavic and really want that back.
2017-6-18
Use props
Flyrmyr
lvl.2
United States

HeadOn Posted at 2017-6-18 12:05
Looks like it isn't exactly a one-off, since my Mavic began exhibiting this exact same problem after the latest firmware update a week or so ago.  Prior to that, DNG files were correctly formatted and working. Ever since the firmware update however,  I am seeing the exact same symptoms as the original poster.

I'll reach out to DJI this week and see what they say.  I'm grateful for this thread and hope that it will help me explain this to DJI for a quick resolution.  I've started to really enjoy and rely on the the RAW capabilities of my Mavic and really want that back.

HeadOn, were you able to solve this issue? I've been having very similar problems and would love to know how to get RAW photos working in Apple Photos.
2017-6-25
Use props
LtCarter47
lvl.1
United States

Oh wow am I glad I found this thread!  I also started having this issue with a recent firmware update!  It has been very frustrating to troubleshoot and I almost gave up and started paying for Lightroom!  I guess I will open a support ticket with DJI and see what happens!  Thank you guys!
2017-6-30
Use props
Steve Medwin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 288934 ft
United States

Interesting thread. I'm having the same problems with DNG files from my Mavic on my iMac running Sierra v10.12.5 but they are working fine on my MacBook Air running Sierra v 10.12.3.  The .5 update adds support for more RAW formats but can't imagine why it would break old support, even though no DJI cameras are listed.

I've been going back and forth with DJI and nothing they have suggested makes any difference. Has anyone reached out to Apple?

BTW, the Adobe DNG Converter (v9.10) doesn't fix this issue.

Steve
2017-7-2
Use props
fansd4bc2ddd
lvl.2
Italy

I have the same problem that DNG files in the MBP do not open in preview. This incident came up with the latest update.
2017-7-2
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Steve Medwin Posted at 2017-7-2 07:42
Interesting thread. I'm having the same problems with DNG files from my Mavic on my iMac running Sierra v10.12.5 but they are working fine on my MacBook Air running Sierra v 10.12.3.  The .5 update adds support for more RAW formats but can't imagine why it would break old support, even though no DJI cameras are listed.

I've been going back and forth with DJI and nothing they have suggested makes any difference. Has anyone reached out to Apple?

Your issue is different from the OP's incomplete meta data issue.

You would think that if the most recent MacOS RAW file support update was the problem then DNG shot with .0700 and earlier would also be affected, but they are not. Therefore, it seems the difference is in the way .0800/.0900 writes DNG.
2017-7-2
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-2 09:11
Your issue is different from the OP's incomplete meta data issue.

You would think that if the most recent MacOS RAW file support update was the problem then DNG shot with .0700 and earlier would also be affected, but they are not. Therefore, it seems the difference is in the way .0800/.0900 writes DNG.

New info: DNG from .0900 work fine on my MacBook Pro running El Capitan, both in Finder Quick Look, previews and Preview. So the issue appears much more complex than I originally thought. I'm tracking my research of the issue in this thread.
2017-7-2
Use props
mazimoose
lvl.1
Flight distance : 906 ft
Canada

I'm facing the same issue as Steve Medwin and others. The DNG files on the Mac shows up as a fully black image for me (Preview app and Photos app).

I'm running Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.5. My laptop is MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). Firmware v01.03.0900.

I've also contacted DJI via e-mail.

2017-7-2
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

mazimoose Posted at 2017-7-2 09:41
I'm facing the same issue as Steve Medwin and others. The DNG files on the Mac shows up as a fully black image for me (Preview app and Photos app).

I'm running Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.5. My laptop is MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). Firmware v01.03.0900.

I've figured it out, it's a conflict between the last two Mavic firmware releases and the version of Raw Camera Support in MacOS 10.12.5, see my summary post.
2017-7-2
Use props
mazimoose
lvl.1
Flight distance : 906 ft
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-2 15:56
I've figured it out, it's a conflict between the last two Mavic firmware releases and the version of Raw Camera Support in MacOS 10.12.5, see my summary post.

Yeah, I saw your post. Great investigative work. Hoping DJI/Apple will take action asap.
2017-7-2
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

mazimoose Posted at 2017-7-2 16:50
Yeah, I saw your post. Great investigative work. Hoping DJI/Apple will take action asap.

Thanks, me, too.
2017-7-2
Use props
DooMMasteR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38891 ft
Germany

This issue persists and the DJI support seems to be unaware of it.
2017-7-12
Use props
JuvbVuWUcCYy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1440 ft
United States

Thankful I found this thread. I am having the exact same issue, only recently started using raw image and can't open them in Photos , they are not recognized by Affinity Photo either. Is this being tracked somewhere for resolution?
2017-7-21
Use props
fans3cc4b3f6
New
Flight distance : 28100 ft
Canada

JuvbVuWUcCYy Posted at 2017-7-21 12:31
Thankful I found this thread. I am having the exact same issue, only recently started using raw image and can't open them in Photos , they are not recognized by Affinity Photo either. Is this being tracked somewhere for resolution?

Same issue here, anyone find a solve?

This is becoming very frustrating.
2017-8-1
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 427684 ft
United States

Just want to be added to the "Me too" list.  Sometimes iPhotos will open the DNG but go black within a blink of an eye but most of the time its just a black screen.  
Sierra 10.12.6. Photos 2.0
2017-8-6
Use props
Matt-M
New
United States

Ditto.  No firmware update to fix this yet?  Filing a support case.
2017-8-11
Use props
drewaz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 99163 ft
United States

RCkable5 Posted at 2017-8-6 07:57
Just want to be added to the "Me too" list.  Sometimes iPhotos will open the DNG but go black within a blink of an eye but most of the time its just a black screen.  
Sierra 10.12.6. Photos 2.0

I download DNG images to my iMac desk top (not photos app) and open them in photoshop elements ....  no problems at all
2017-8-11
Use props
Matt-M
New
United States

drewaz Posted at 2017-8-11 14:59
I download DNG images to my iMac desk top (not photos app) and open them in photoshop elements ....  no problems at all

Mine will not open in Adobe DNG convertor, but have not tried directly in other Adobe apps.  Will try.

2017-8-12
Use props
fans5b76c4a2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 240135 ft
United States

I have been having this issue for months and would have thought either Apple or DJI would have fixed the problem. I spoke for a long time with Apple today until they said...... talk to DJI. Same scenario as many of you where mine use to work until updating the software on my MacBook Pro 2015 model system with the latest OS Sierra. Didn't make a big deal out of it as I would use Lightroom to edit my photo's anyway but tired of Not being able to view them at first via my Mac viewer. I've even tried downloading that Adobe converter but NO Help! I guess I have to make a claim to DJI as well.
2017-8-13
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Anybody been brave enough to try the new firmware (.1000)?  The release notes sound like they address our issue.  Mine is working fine on .0700 and I can't roll back to that, if something goes wrong, so I'll wait for positive feedback before I take the plunge!
2017-8-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-8-22 13:30
Anybody been brave enough to try the new firmware (.1000)?  The release notes sound like they address our issue.  Mine is working fine on .0700 and I can't roll back to that, if something goes wrong, so I'll wait for positive feedback before I take the plunge!

Planning on trying it when I get home tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed. ;)
2017-8-22
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-22 13:51
Planning on trying it when I get home tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed. ;)

Good luck! I hope it goes smoothly.
2017-8-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

BeachDuc Posted at 2017-8-22 14:00
Good luck! I hope it goes smoothly.

Sadly, it did not. The black screen problem with the Finder, Preview, and presumably Photos/Aperture remain. I'm guessing they found and fixed the corruption problem, but not the MacOS compatibility issue. Works fine in Lightroom.
2017-8-22
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-22 16:03
Sadly, it did not. The black screen problem with the Finder, Preview, and presumably Photos/Aperture remain. I'm guessing they found and fixed the corruption problem, but not the MacOS compatibility issue. Works fine in Lightroom.

Thanks for the feedback and being the guinea-pig.  I'll be sticking with .0700 a bit longer then.
2017-8-22
Use props
Mermaid974
New
France

Hi everyone! Same issue. Not sure this is very helpful but until I see a fix for the firmware this is what I am doing: download the DNG on my Mac. I cannot open them with Preview or Photos.
But then I use the Adobe Digital Negative Converter and section 4, I have tried to change the Compatibility Camera raw. and Downgrading it to 4.6 is working for me.
I know it's not great to download to a lower version but at least I can import them as DNG in my Photos library.
2017-8-24
Use props
Juarez
lvl.1
Flight distance : 474232 ft
Canada

Hi Guys,
I'm having this same problem.
The Adobe converter at 4.6 works for me too.
Any further resolution here?
2017-9-5
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Juarez Posted at 2017-9-5 09:02
Hi Guys,
I'm having this same problem.
The Adobe converter at 4.6 works for me too.

No change AFAIK. High Sierra, the next MacOS major version is due out this month -- I'm half-inclined to install the public beta on my laptop to see if the issue still exists.
2017-9-5
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-9-5 12:17
No change AFAIK. High Sierra, the next MacOS major version is due out this month -- I'm half-inclined to install the public beta on my laptop to see if the issue still exists.

The issue is no longer a problem on the latest public beta of High Sierra.
2017-9-5
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

Anybody brave enough to try the new firmware and see if it solves this issue?  (I'm not on the Mac OS beta so am waiting for the official release).
2017-9-23
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Australia

OK I'll answer my own question.  In a rsh moment I have upgraded to 01.04.000 and thankfully the RAW photos are working as expected on Mac OS High Sierra.  Thanks goodness!
2017-10-7
Use props
Ste_427
lvl.4
Flight distance : 530692 ft
Italy

Hi guys,
I've the same problem with my Mavic Air.

I've tired several programs (even buying them) no chance to open those dng files.
My Mac is a new MacBook Pro 2017, fully updated, Hig Sierra installed. Mavic Air is up to date to the latest version too.

How did you solve the problem? I need to contact DJI?
Thanks
2018-2-17
Use props
djiuser_V94cV1de4G9g
lvl.3
Germany

Ste_427 Posted at 2018-2-17 22:52
Hi guys,
I've the same problem with my Mavic Air.

Ste_497 any update on your issue? Having the same issue with my Mavic Air and my old MacBook Pro running latest Version of El Capitan. No chance to open dng files in finder. However with Affinity photo I’m able to open the dng files from the Mavic Air. Adobe RAW Converter does not work. Would be glad to hear you have solved your issue ( and how).
2018-2-24
Use props
Ste_427
lvl.4
Flight distance : 530692 ft
Italy

djiuser_V94cV1de4G9g Posted at 2018-2-24 23:55
Ste_497 any update on your issue? Having the same issue with my Mavic Air and my old MacBook Pro running latest Version of El Capitan. No chance to open dng files in finder. However with Affinity photo I’m able to open the dng files from the Mavic Air. Adobe RAW Converter does not work. Would be glad to hear you have solved your issue ( and how).

Unfortunately not, for the moment.
I've contacted DJI and sent them some examples, but still no good news. They said that my problem would have been reported to application engineers and then let me know something more.
Maybe there will be a firmware update because my understanding is that this problem is very common for Mac users.
I'll try Affinity photo, thanks for the advice, i don't know it!
2018-2-26
Use props
djiuser_IBp5CPHw2eJd
New

Ste_427 Posted at 2018-2-26 03:49
Unfortunately not, for the moment.
I've contacted DJI and sent them some examples, but still no good news. They said that my problem would have been reported to application engineers and then let me know something more.
Maybe there will be a firmware update because my understanding is that this problem is very common for Mac users.

I have the same problem and I am using 10.12.6 Sierra, and just got my Mavic Pro, but I am not using the newest firmware update.  I rolled it back so I could edit the parameters to get rid of the NFZ limits and such.
I did find that the free photo editor  GIMP does open the DNG files.
Its a pretty extensive editor also.
https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
Open source software.
2018-4-28
Use props
djiuser_IBp5CPHw2eJd
New

GIMP photo editor is free and opens the DNG images for editing.   But, I have the same problem as you with Preview, Photos, and  Graphic Convertor 9 not opening them other than just plan black images appear.
2018-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules