5840 8 2017-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeffbake
lvl.3
Flight distance : 955587 ft
  • >>>
United States

I shot a Facebook Live tour of a college campus using the OSMO Mobile. I knew the OSMO battery would last, but the phone was a concern. With the help of some gaffers tape, I placed an external battery on the OSMO attachment bar. Because I'm using a smaller phone (iPhone SE) I still had space to attach the charging cord to the phone. It was a bit harder to balance with the cord attached and you can see from my image I couldn't quite get it to balance this way. But once the OSMO was turned on it balanced perfectly horizontal and worked for the whole 48-minute live broadcast. I used the native Facebook app for this instead of the DJI Go Facebook Live function because it works better for me. But 48 minutes of filming and my phone stayed at 100% and that was one less thing to worry about.The gimbal performed very well considering the live conditions. I was often going over obstacles or walking backward or upstairs without a break. The campus does not have great cell service and roaming wifi is also spotty, so the quality of the video suffers at times due to that. There were a few dropouts, but I never dropped the livestream or had to restart which was great.
View the FB Livestream here

OSMO Mobile with iPhone SE and external battery

OSMO Mobile with iPhone SE and external battery

2017-4-21
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

A cable like this would probably work better https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Ce ... ing+cable&psc=1

Also id recommend to tape the cable to the handle with some slack that way it dot put the full weight of the cord on the gimbal, but leave enough slack so it can have full rotations.
2017-4-21
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-4-21 08:32
A cable like this would probably work better https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Certified-4-Foot-Degree-Lightning/dp/B00SW0WS8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492792195&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=apple+90+degree+lightning+cable&psc=1

Also id recommend to tape the cable to the handle with some slack that way it dot put the full weight of the cord on the gimbal, but leave enough slack so it can have full rotations.

I agree. Right angle cable doesn't push the phone out of balance as much.
2017-4-21
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-4-21 08:32
A cable like this would probably work better https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Certified-4-Foot-Degree-Lightning/dp/B00SW0WS8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492792195&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=apple+90+degree+lightning+cable&psc=1

Thanks, Yes I have the right angle startek cable but it turned out to be bulkier than the standard Apple lightning cable so I  need to find one that is smaller. Maybe the Belkin is.  Need that handle to be free of anything so I can use it for extended durations, but I have tried taping to the handle in the past.
I should figure out the exact cable length needed for the motion of the gimbal plus the distance to the battery or external mic, because you are right, any extra cord is just dead weight. I could also try some cable management but there just isn't much room to work with on the handle. In the end, I was able to shoot for over 80 minutes using that external battery for 5 different livestreams today and I stayed at 100% the whole day.
2017-4-21
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

jeffbake Posted at 2017-4-21 12:25
Thanks, Yes I have the right angle startek cable but it turned out to be bulkier than the standard Apple lightning cable so I  need to find one that is smaller. Maybe the Belkin is.  Need that handle to be free of anything so I can use it for extended durations, but I have tried taping to the handle in the past.
I should figure out the exact cable length needed for the motion of the gimbal plus the distance to the battery or external mic, because you are right, any extra cord is just dead weight. I could also try some cable management but there just isn't much room to work with on the handle. In the end, I was able to shoot for over 80 minutes using that external battery for 5 different livestreams today and I stayed at 100% the whole day.

Nice, seems like your achieving what you need, just a little fine tuning and you will be golden.
2017-4-21
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Yes, it seems counterintuitive, but I want the flimsiest lightweight cable and smallest right angle connector I can find for this purpose.  Something that had a retractable tension holder would be ideal since  I could tape it on as well.  This one isn't retractable but looks like it's worth a try [url=USB to Right Angle Lightning Cable - 1 Meter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MU2 ... p_api_mJ0-yb4HFKT2N]1 meter right angle adapter thin cable[/url]

Are there any hot shoe accessories that would hold the battery? Maybe with some kind of adjustable clamp? I wish I lived close to a B&H or Frys type electronics store so I could see these items...
2017-4-22
Use props
Sagology
New
United States

Here is how I solved the problem . Good luck and happy shooting!
2017-5-10
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

That does look low profile. Thanks for sharing! The regular iPhone charging cable does work with iPhone SE and will balance with the OSMO turned off because it is a smaller phone. But the pressure on the cable is still and issue that this right angle adapter solves.
2017-5-12
Use props
BombHanks
New
United States

just ordered this to use with my Mophie pack.
2017-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules