Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery Explosion
8638 37 2017-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Central Maine D
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1046680 ft
United States

Someone tagged me on Facebook because they knew I had a P3P.  They'd seen this video about a battery exploding causing a fire.  
2017-4-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

That is a scary occurrence.. Never heard of DJI batteries going off.

I wonder if it was a third party unit?

Aside from the property damage, thankfully, no one was injured...

RedHotPoker
2017-4-21
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

An inspire battery caught fire in carry on luggage a few years back.  That's all I recall.  Sell enough of them, it's bound to happen.
2017-4-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Note the guy on the bottom left knew what was important - regardless of the circumstances, he wasn't about to let go of that sandwich:

2017-4-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-21 09:45
That is a scary occurrence.. Never heard of DJI batteries going off.

I wonder if it was a third party unit?

It's a rare occurrence, but they can have the same risk as any LiPo battery if not taken care of properly. 3rd party batteries could have been a possibility, but I'd be speculating.
2017-4-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-21 10:32
Note the guy on the bottom left knew what was important - regardless of the circumstances, he wasn't about to let go of that sandwich:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9fhlr9S5s

It must have been a pretty good sandwich...
2017-4-21
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It is a pity that most of the advice given in that report is pure BS. LiPo batteries may catch fire, they do not explode. And the guy advising using the right battery matched with the 'right sized' charger is full of it too. Seeing the item was about a DJI battery, the charger is automatically the right size.
2017-4-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-21 17:03
It is a pity that most of the advice given in that report is pure BS. LiPo batteries may catch fire, they do not explode. And the guy advising using the right battery matched with the 'right sized' charger is full of it too. Seeing the item was about a DJI battery, the charger is automatically the right size.

Talking about DJI batteries and appropriate chargers, made me think of Solentlife, and his using alternative chargers, that balance and override the intelligence quotient.  

I only hope, that who ever had this frightening experience isn't jaded or scared off from enjoying RC hobbies. This has to be a once in a lifetime experience, one in ten million... Much like winning the lottery.,
Only with bad luck though. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-4-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-21 16:47
It's a rare occurrence, but they can have the same risk as any LiPo battery if not taken care of properly. 3rd party batteries could have been a possibility, but I'd be speculating.

Is it only during charging the intelligent flight pack, that over considerations should be made?

RedHotPoker
2017-4-21
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13875118 ft
  • >>>
Germany

This here is interesting. Looks like after a bath the battery seems to be a continuous hazard.
I'm wondering how to properly get rid of it:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/battery-fire.111277/
2017-4-25
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-25 05:33
This here is interesting. Looks like after a bath the battery seems to be a continuous hazard.
I'm wondering how to properly get rid of it:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/battery-fire.111277/

Maybe just take it out into an open area and throw it in a campfire?  Once it has burned it will be safe. It would be exciting.
2017-4-25
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-21 17:03

I beg to differ. It may not be an explosion compared to C 4 but it can explode as any container under pressure can.  It happened to me with a Li-ion battery. It was one of those compact car jumper batteries. After the car started the battery began sizzling and I went to disconnect it but it exploded and caught fire just as my arm was over it. Had some burns and bits of plastic embedded in my arm. Fire extinguisher put it out but they sure do make a mess.
2017-4-25
Use props
Pocket Sized
lvl.1

United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-4-25 05:57
I beg to differ. It may not be an explosion compared to C 4 but it can explode as any container under pressure can.  It happened to me with a Li-ion battery. It was one of those compact car jumper batteries. After the car started the battery began sizzling and I went to disconnect it but it exploded and caught fire just as my arm was over it. Had some burns and bits of plastic embedded in my arm. Fire extinguisher put it out but they sure do make a mess.

Heavy duty Li-on cells typically have a very thick metal housing to protect them from impact damage. These can hold a HUGE amount of pressure before bursting, as you discovered the hard way.

Flight batteries have a thin foil covering the cells, so they tend to rupture before there's enough pressure built up for an explosion.
2017-4-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Whether Lipos explode or not depends on how you define the word.  IMO, the word explode is a good word when describing ignited liipos.  It's a pressurized ignition which is why lipos should be stored in a well-vented flame-proof container which should be kept away from other things that may ignite.  Know that upon ignition, the flames will shoot wildly out of the vents.  The fewer the vents, the more wildly flames will shoot out.  

In addition, if I may borrow a quote from Maximum PC's July 2002 issue:  "If the lithium inside the battery comes in contact with water, it can mess you up bad ..."

https://books.google.com/books?i ... p%20bad&f=false

2017-4-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-4-25 05:57

All right, I will further qualifty it and say the batteries used in DJI aircraft do not explode. The word 'explode' is a favourite term used by the media because it confers a bigger incident than actually occurred. In other words, alternative facts', the new Trump-esque term for media lies.
2017-4-25
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
United States

Pocket Sized Posted at 2017-4-25 08:50
Heavy duty Li-on cells typically have a very thick metal housing to protect them from impact damage. These can hold a HUGE amount of pressure before bursting, as you discovered the hard way.

Flight batteries have a thin foil covering the cells, so they tend to rupture before there's enough pressure built up for an explosion.

That's good to know.
2017-4-25
Use props
TM.SkyDrone1
New
Flight distance : 867257 ft
United States

Never heard of this happening until today while flying at 75 feet my P3P with only dji Products exploded in mid air sending my drone crashing to the ground completely destroying it.  When I called DJI they said they never heard of this... Humm that is not true.  This accident was not at all my fault I was in clear air space when this happened.  They say the battery is past its warranty; but it isn't an issue of warranty it is an issue of defective battery.  As I said I only use DJI equipment.  I do help they handle this and replace the drone that is destroyed and the battery that destroyed it.
2018-10-29
Use props
TM.SkyDrone1
New
United States

2018-10-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I've never heard of it either.  Not in mid-air.

The only explanation that I know of is the battery was swollen, probably quite a bit swollen.  I don't think there is any other explanation.  

Swollen batteries must be retired.  

Sorry for your loss.  
2018-10-29
Use props
TM.SkyDrone1
New
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-10-29 16:44
I've never heard of it either.  Not in mid-air.

The only explanation that I know of is the battery was swollen, probably quite a bit swollen.  I don't think there is any other explanation.  

nope wasn't swollen I do major pre-flight checks.  
2018-10-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

It looks like it popped like a balloon?  No evidence of fire or scorching?  Very strange.  
2018-10-30
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-21 19:32
Talking about DJI batteries and appropriate chargers, made me think of Solentlife, and his using alternative chargers, that balance and override the intelligence quotient.  

RHP - you really need to be more careful in your wording ...

The Alternatve charging I talk about when post warrants does NOT over-ride any DJI item or function in any way whatsoever. The charger acts exactly the same as the DJi charger as a power source. The difference being that with the Programmable LiPo charger - you have a digital readout telling you what mAh have gone in, amp rate and voltage at that moment.
It is in fact SAFER than a DJI charger - because if any fault occurs - it will automatically shut off - unlike the DJI charger which in fact is only a fixed voltage PSU.
As to balance function - DJI prevents any access to balance lead to actually do that ... shame - but thats the way they want it.

I have absolutely no objection for people to quote / mention what I post - but please get it right and not try to imply its unsafe ...

Nigel
2018-10-30
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-10-30 02:19
It looks like it popped like a balloon?  No evidence of fire or scorching?  Very strange.

Yes very strange ... looks still square - BUT unless its the photo ... the end of the foil packets is decidely black !

In the packs I have taken apart in the past to check out functions / access / identify actual cells ... and tests ... all foil packets were silver foil as near all LiPo's I have dismantled.

Very strange.

Nigel
2018-10-30
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-25 09:20
Whether Lipos explode or not depends on how you define the word.  IMO, the word explode is a good word when describing ignited liipos.  It's a pressurized ignition which is why lipos should be stored in a well-vented flame-proof container which should be kept away from other things that may ignite.  Know that upon ignition, the flames will shoot wildly out of the vents.  The fewer the vents, the more wildly flames will shoot out.  

In addition, if I may borrow a quote from Maximum PC's July 2002 issue:  "If the lithium inside the battery comes in contact with water, it can mess you up bad ..."

Actually because the Lithium is in compound and not in elemental state - it dos not auto-ignite in contact with water.

I made the same assumption many years ago when first seeing Lithium batterys ... but tests and also technical references show that its not the case. You get a 'fizzle' but that's because of the electrical activity.

The fire and its shooting out is purely due to agents oxidising in the cells and the foil envelopes creating pressure packs ... once the initial flame thrower effect has vented and pressure reduced ... you get the hissing flame jet.

A group of guys including myself actually tried to get a Lithium cell to auto-ignite with water in punctured packets etc. - it failed totally. We had to physically abuse it to get it to start.

nigel
2018-10-30
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

I always change my P3A batteries in a safety bag and in a hood.  I also never leave it unattended.  I also have never had any trouble (thank goodness).
2018-10-31
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

There are plenty of third-party batteries for P3 out there on the market. Also LiPo batteries have to be treated carefully, but of course things like this should never happen.
2018-10-31
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

DJI have basically put together an 'idiots' battery pack as far as possible.

The board fitted to the front is designed to do three things :

1. Provide interface for telemetry data back to you on the ground

2. Provide interface to monitor power to system

3. Provide charge / discharge control.

The user is asked to charge in controlled environment and not subject the pack to physical abuse.

The part that DJI cannot design against - is the fact they are using not only LiPo ... but a High Voltage version. LiPo's are normally rated at 4.20V per cell - but DJI and other LiPoHV are rated to 4.35V per cell. Because the max ceiling of normal and HV versions is the same 4.35V - the HV version has no margin basically for error. (Please do not think to start charging normal cells to 4.35V - you will quickly bloat them and have potential hazard).
The extremely high output that LiPo is capable of - means that any fault or short can have devastating effect.

I know people who take greater care in their use of LiPo's than I ... and still have 'events'.

My pal who's Cessna decided to have a 'fire' ....

as example ... no reason could we find for it happening ... but there it was ..

Nigel
2018-10-31
Use props
djiuser_1GyzdjPip7vQ
lvl.1

Ukraine

Yesterday, may Mavic Pro Platinum have a bad day. On a 97 meters height, battery exploding.
Battery have only 35 cycles. I use only original charger from my "Fly more" box.
2019-11-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I like the comment in the top video at 1:15
2019-11-17
Use props
djiuser_1GyzdjPip7vQ
lvl.1

Ukraine

2019-11-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

djiuser_1GyzdjPip7vQ Posted at 11-17 03:17
Yesterday, may Mavic Pro Platinum have a bad day. On a 97 meters height, battery exploding.
Battery have only 35 cycles. I use only original charger from my "Fly more" box.

Post pics of the battery.

RedHotPoker
2019-11-17
Use props
djiuser_1GyzdjPip7vQ
lvl.1

Ukraine

Hi, only now i get back my battery.
More photo later.
2019-11-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

djiuser_1GyzdjPip7vQ Posted at 11-21 23:57
Hi, only now i get back my battery.
More photo later.
[view_image]

Hi there, sorry for what happened, are you sure the battery exploded? It seems split open after crashing. Did you contact our support team to start a ticket?
2019-11-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>

method007 Posted at 2017-4-21 10:24
An inspire battery caught fire in carry on luggage a few years back.  That's all I recall.  Sell enough of them, it's bound to happen.

I've had two 18650 cells explode on me, they go off like a firework and destroyed what they were in,  and I see from the tear down thats the same battery that the Mavic Mini now uses.
2019-11-22
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Both batterys in the uploaded photos appear to be crash damage - not 'fire or explosion'.

A LiPo that has suffered fire is 'unmistakable' .... its a charred wreck ! Not the clean popped jobs shown in posts above.

The Phantom battery - I would suspect could have puffed while in flight ... causing fracture of the battery mount area ... leads to connection break and in the immortal Monty Python Flying Sheep words :

'It didn't as much fly as plummet'.

The impact of course then doing its worst.

But of course I may be wrong.
2019-11-22
Use props
djiuser_1GyzdjPip7vQ
lvl.1

Ukraine

when the signal went missing, I saw the battery flying to one side and the body to the other.  There were no birds nearby, and it was 97 meters high.
2019-11-22
Use props
djiuser_1GyzdjPip7vQ
lvl.1

Ukraine

probably not to call it a exploese, the battery has increased
2019-11-22
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
United Kingdom

when the signal went missing, I saw the battery flying to one side and the body to the other.  There were no birds nearby, and it was 97 meters high.

Both that and the photos suggest to me a non fire situation ... why the battery ejected could be as I say due to battery expanding OR some other factor causing it to break out from its mount ... the fact you saw the battery and model separate in the air tends to support that. And of course the battery photos ...

If that battery had exploded and flamed - the photos would be completely different. AND the model would show signs of fire.
2019-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules