Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello guys
Well, after losing my Mavic last month thanks to a stack of my mistakes lined up ( http://forum.dji.com/thread-91584-1-1.html ) I got a replacement Mavic and have been poking around with what happens as you run out of battery.
Part of the reason for losing my Mavic was not expecting some of the  functions that kick in as the battery gets low, so I figured I'd make a  video to list those functions out so people know what to expect.
Also tried out the new Find My Drone function on the DJI App; great  addition but not failsafe and ironically wouldn't have helped me last  month...  Hence I now have a Loc8tor trackker on my new drone

Anyway, here's the vid; happy flying....
Cheers,
Ian

Going critical.png
2017-4-21
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

Thanks for the video
2017-4-21
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Very good video -- and it dovetails nicely with your last one.
2017-4-21
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Nice to see you got your bird back!
2017-4-21
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fractures Posted at 2017-4-21 14:43
Nice to see you got your bird back!

Yeah... altho it's a new one!   
2017-4-21
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

nice explain ...thank you!!!
2017-4-21
Use props
blunt_blunt
Ban Posts

Australia

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-4-21
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Wellsi,
            Great educational video --- I give it a 10
Keep Calm RTH.jpg
2017-4-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Crud!  Why didn't I hear about this device before?  I was going to buy a Tile:

https://www.amazon.com/Loc8Tor-Loc8torLite-Lite/dp/B0012GMDC4
2017-4-22
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-22 03:41
Wellsi,
            Great educational video --- I give it a 10

Cheers Skunk!
2017-4-22
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-22 09:03
Crud!  Why didn't I hear about this device before?  I was going to buy a Tile:

https://www.amazon.com/Loc8Tor-Loc8torLite-Lite/dp/B0012GMDC4

yep.. the Loc8tor is a great tracker for my Mavic.  The Marco Polo isn't available in Europe, and whilst the Loc8tor doesn't have the full range of the Marco polo, the main remote unit that locates the tracker is the size of a credit card and around twice as thick as a credit card, so it can travel everywhere with you.
2017-4-22
Use props
Propwash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

Wellsi nice presentation very watchable.
2017-4-23
Use props
nay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Job well done!
2017-4-23
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Greece

Wellsi Posted at 2017-4-21 21:14
Yeah... altho it's a new one!

thank you for this video Wellsi
2017-4-24
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-4-22 10:57
yep.. the Loc8tor is a great tracker for my Mavic.  The Marco Polo isn't available in Europe, and whilst the Loc8tor doesn't have the full range of the Marco polo, the main remote unit that locates the tracker is the size of a credit card and around twice as thick as a credit card, so it can travel everywhere with you.

This thing will do 400 feet.  I fly is areas without cell service so the long range is a big bonus.  The GPS models are nice, but worthless in such a scenario, so this thing is perfect.

The find my drone part of the app will get me close, and this will allow me to home in on it.
2017-4-24
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

Propwash Posted at 2017-4-23 04:39
Wellsi nice presentation very watchable.

Thanks guys!  
2017-4-25
Use props
Circle3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1007070 ft
United States

Good low battery overview.  The Critical Low battery warning with the Mavic suddenly descending almost got me!
2017-4-25
Use props
BluesDragon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634291 ft
United States

Excellent information... thanks for sharing!
So sorry we all have to learn from your mishap, but that you help inform
the rest of us pilots to avoid the same mistake is very cool.
2017-4-27
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Good tutorial on all things can go wrong! Sometimes I miss my old atti drone, it collects dust now.
2017-4-27
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft
Germany

Hi !
Great you turn your loss into educating other Users, GREAT JOB.
I got 2 comments to make :-)

-1- I always disable obstacle detection for RTH (in that sub menu) as the obstacle detection with the forward sensors is known to fail (mostly when flying towards the low sun or reflections).
The end result is that your Mavic sees obstacled that are not present and will stop in the air until battery gets low, then auto lands, NOT returning home.
So if your RTH is set to a good & high Altitude this is more dangerous then sensible IMO. Many reports of loosing their Mavic due to this Bug. Or at least you have to go there or take manual control.

-2- While a GPS Tracker adds another level of security often it does NOT help to much as GSM reception is very bad at the ground and the Mavic often will crash on the tracker also causing no reception or bad / off GPS readings. My choice is a T-beacon, if interested google it and take a look.

Greetings,

Nils

P.S. someone should really kick DJI for not beeing able to fully cancel 10% autolanding AND for not beeing able to switch of the nerve wrecking BEEP that really helps to panic...
2017-4-28
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

What is the range of that T-Beacon?  Also, looks complicated to setup.
2017-4-28
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

nils.heidorn Posted at 2017-4-28 06:54
Hi !
Great you turn your loss into educating other Users, GREAT JOB.
I got 2 comments to make :-)

To begin with, you can cancel RTH when battery low by clicking CANCEL ok or CLICK on C1 button and you will still have few minutes to bring it back home and land it. The auoland won't start unitl you only have less than 1 minute or so.

As for the beep... If you get panic attack  {:4_117:}   then you should NOT be flying a drone! Just hover like this little   and you will have as much fun.

SAFETY FIRST - FUN SECOND
2017-4-28
Use props
DJL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795810 ft
United States

Thanks for that video, it should be a must watch for every mavic pilot!  So many things can go wrong if you don't know how the mavic will behave in different situations.  I've viewed many videos on fly aways, loss of control and when things just go wrong and concluded that most of it happens when we don't know tha characteristics of the drone. Thanks again, good information!!!
2017-4-28
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft
Germany

dronist Posted at 2017-4-28 14:30
To begin with, you can cancel RTH when battery low by clicking CANCEL ok or CLICK on C1 button and you will still have few minutes to bring it back home and land it. The auoland won't start unitl you only have less than 1 minute or so.

As for the beep... If you get panic attack     then you should NOT be flying a drone! Just hover like this little   and you will have as much fun.

Hi !
I was aware of how to cancel RTH. As the TO i was talking of the auto land if critical is reached.
And as for the Beep: It angers me and draws unwanted attention, both distractibg from flying. And i saw people (enough on YT) who actually panicked because of the noise.

Congrats on your perfect temper ;-)

Nils
2017-5-1
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

nils.heidorn Posted at 2017-5-1 11:18
Hi !
I was aware of how to cancel RTH. As the TO i was talking of the auto land if critical is reached.
And as for the Beep: It angers me and draws unwanted attention, both distractibg from flying. And i saw people (enough on YT) who actually panicked because of the noise.

Nils... Just kidding man....  \

How about a HEINEKEN before you fly???

You were talking about the 10% AUTOLAND... The AUTOLAND won't start at 10% and even at 1% you can still push the left stick up to slow down the landing and to kind  move the AC around if need to.

2017-5-1
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Auto land starts when you hit your pre-defined critical; battery stage, which by default will be 10%....  There are enough youtube vids showing them just slowly descending into water....  Hence my little inserted clip of this happening
2017-5-5
Use props
Arthur H H
New

New Zealand

Good stuff, all common sense but we all need that reinforced
2017-5-7
Use props
djiuser_UxkwAW4NdHeU
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15397 ft

Sweden

Great video!

actually experienced a fly away of my mavic air last weekend at a night time flight, but luckily found the drone safely landed on a pier after 3 hours of searching the other day (and about 2 hours search the same night)

Lost connection with last known location at the start of a beach with about 50% battery left downwind....

Thinking about buying the tracker you use as well, tested out the "tile" the other day and did not feel that it would have helped in my search at all so returned it today to the store

Could probably post some flight logs if anyone is interested, not shure how to get the full logs off the mavic air though and what would be the appropriate thread

also filmed the whole experience, but it was dark so you do not see much
2018-12-14
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

Where to fix Loc8tor on Mavic air? Whats the best position?
2019-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules