Why can we silence critical battery beeping but not RTH?
12Next >
5590 58 2017-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BetaPilot
lvl.2

Canada

In the latest Mavic Pro firmware DJI added this feature, obviously due to overwhelming demand:

Added an option to turn off the remote controller low battery level warning. When battery level is less
than 15%, just press the power button on the remote controller to turn off the warning.

Why would you allow us to silence an emergency warning feature, yet not allow us to silence the extremely obnoxious and annoying constant beeping that we have to deal with even when we purposefully engage Return to Home!? Can someone from DJI please explain the logic behind this decision?

DJI, please tell us that you're going to do the same for RTH in a soon-to-be-released firmware update? I just got my Mavic Pro and I love the precison landing feature with RTH but the loud constant beeping makes it impractical to even use. Aside from making me want to pull my hair out, it attracts unwanted attention and makes people nervous because they think there's an issue and that you're going to crash.
2017-4-21
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

Totally agree. I actually don't use the RTH feature for that exact reason. Give us the option to acknowledge and shut the news off!
2017-4-21
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Agreed. It seems like they gave us the option to mute the RC when it's the LEAST appropriate. I mean, if the battery's below 15%, I honestly don't mind if the RC keeps beeping, since that's pretty much an emergency situation. This should be the one that we CAN'T mute.
2017-4-21
Use props
Owen Manderfiel
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The return to home with precision landing is a great safty feature as it allows the user to look aroubd to ensure the landing site is clear of people or dogs as the mavic is coming in to land.
But with the very alarming beeping sound - everybody within 50m thinks you have a serious problem and that you are putting them in danger!
This is exactly the sort of bad impression that is gettibg drones banned. Fly safe and don't annoy anybody. Standing near somebody with a very loud alarm going off doesnt help keep a low profile.
Battery low, high wind, loss of GPS we all want to know about (safty issue) Engaging an intelligent flight mode? NO!
I never use RTH because of the beep - but when I want to bring the mavic back from a long flight I woukd love to use it.
Please can this simple issue be resolved.
Just allow us to acknowledge that RTH has stated and let us cancel the alarm!!
2017-4-21
Use props
nhoover
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3458045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, I don't understand the logic by DJI here. Crazy. Why is their software so poor? They are so smart at hardware.
2017-4-21
Use props
BetaPilot
lvl.2

Canada

Exactly Jason! Critical battery is a perfectly legitimate emergency situation and I don't mind the beeping in this case, especially since we can mute it now.. The only thing that I can think of is that this reverse logic must have been the result of a communication/translation issue. I bet the shot callers actually wanted this feature to be for RTH, not critical battery warning.
2017-4-21
Use props
BetaPilot
lvl.2

Canada

@DJI Ken, can you please shed some light on this strange situation?
2017-4-21
Use props
Harbourside
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Its a warning, not just for the pilot but any others around that an uncontrolled aircraft is heading their way, and as such I expect it will always be there on the grounds of public safety.
If you don't like the noise then don't use the feature, fly back home manually or if it kicks in automatically, once you have control back, cancel the RTH and fly back normally.
I know a lot of users use it every time they fly, but for me its just an emergency feature and I never use it, even if I am on my own in the middle of nowhere.
2017-4-22
Use props
Luka M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 780233 ft
Australia

The mavic is something that you can get away with being inconspicuous in the public. Having your remote blaring a sound like this constantly while your waiting for your drone to return to you seems a bit thoughtless from DJI. Just drawing unwanted attention to the flyer and from what I can imagine this beep doesn't really add anything positive to the flying experience of the mavic. Something I imagine they will fix in a later firmware update.
2017-4-22
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I can think of at least one very good reason why they might have added this new feature: when your controller's battery is low, the last thing that you need is for the controller to do something that will cause its battery to drain even faster -- like beeping. So if you really believe that your controller's battery being low is an "emergency situation", you should be applauding this change.

I agree that it should also be possible to mute the RTH beeping, but I don't see why anyone would complain about this new feature just because they didn't get the other. After all, the two aren't mutually exclusive, and complaining about this makes about as much sense as complaining about DJI having added Fixed Wing Mode instead of RTH muting. I understand that you didn't get the feature you really wanted, but that's no reason to gripe about one they did add instead.
2017-4-22
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Luka M Posted at 2017-4-22 01:03
The mavic is something that you can get away with being inconspicuous in the public. Having your remote blaring a sound like this constantly while your waiting for your drone to return to you seems a bit thoughtless from DJI. Just drawing unwanted attention to the flyer and from what I can imagine this beep doesn't really add anything positive to the flying experience of the mavic. Something I imagine they will fix in a later firmware update.

The most important stuff in these aircraft are they're redundancy features and there failsafe features, why would dji remove any of these, a siren on a fire truck an ambulance or police car these are annoying, but why are they there, safety , and when you compromise safety you ask for trouble.
Alarms are there to alarm us into taking appropriate action, if you take them away because they simply annoy you, you may just as well remove all the batteries from you home fire alarms.
2017-4-22
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Picture your Mavic out of sight, you hit RTH , nothing happens no warnings just silence, your not sure if it's coming behind you above you in front of you , your a new flyer your disoriented and there are civilians around, how does the silence help in this situation, truth is it doesn't. This is a warning to you and those around you that an uncontrolled aircraft is about to come in your space so be careful, doing away with failsafe procedures just to save your embarrassment is simply just not a good idea.
2017-4-22
Use props
Schata
lvl.3
Flight distance : 727641 ft
Germany

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-22 05:53
The most important stuff in these aircraft are they're redundancy features and there failsafe features, why would dji remove any of these, a siren on a fire truck an ambulance or police car these are annoying, but why are they there, safety , and when you compromise safety you ask for trouble.
Alarms are there to alarm us into taking appropriate action, if you take them away because they simply annoy you, you may just as well remove all the batteries from you home fire alarms.

What you are saying doesn´t make any sense. You compare the terrible RTH "beep, beep, beep" with fire alarms at your home.  Really? Redundancy and annoying noises are two different things.
When I hit the RTH button, I don´t do it because of an emergency case. I just want it to land safely in some situations. There is no need to let everybody know within a radius of 50m that a drone is landing.
This one sounds pretty critical but a safe landing isn´t critical at all but a complete opposite.
This beep would make sense in just the case where you loose RC signal and the AC returns to home and when the signal is back the RC makes some noise to indicate that the drone is coming back.
There is absolutely no reason to make this sound when it comes home because you want it to.
There is no noise in all other intelligent modes. Beeping all the time lets say in tracking mode would not make any sense as well. I really don´t see a difference between activating any other intelligent mode and manually activated RTH.
2017-4-22
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-22 05:53

a siren on a fire truck an ambulance or police car these are annoying, but why are they there, safety

Yes . . . and they can be turned off. If you want to be continuously reminded that your remote's battery is low then just don't silence the beeping. But arguing that others who do want that option shouldn't be given the choice makes as much sense as arguing that the RTH beeping shouldn't be mutable.
2017-4-22
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Schata Posted at 2017-4-22 06:17
What you are saying doesn´t make any sense. You compare the terrible RTH "beep, beep, beep" with fire alarms at your home.  Really? Redundancy and annoying noises are two different things.
When I hit the RTH button, I don´t do it because of an emergency case. I just want it to land safely in some situations. There is no need to let everybody know within a radius of 50m that a drone is landing.
This one sounds pretty critical but a safe landing isn´t critical at all but a complete opposite.

You don't think RTH is a failsafe procedure but in the manual it is described as just that, you use it as a means of landing your aircraft, most people land their aircraft manually, you also have that option if the beeping embarrasses you, of course if your not able to properly land your aircraft because your inexperience to land your aircraft safely, then I suppose you have no choice but to use RTH .

The beeping is there for those who find themselves in trouble and also for those around them, you will also be aware of the correct distances you should be flying from people and groups of people, in my country 30 meters for groups of less than 12 , 120 meters from groups of 12 or more, so yes it's a good thing that those 50 meters away can hear it, they also have no control over what's happening, so for civilians, yes it's a good thing.

We are faced with beeping in a lot of the things we do on a daily basis, when we sit into our car until we put the seat belt on, when we arrive home alarm keeps beeping until we turn it off etc etc.
My advice is if the beeping is so embarrassing for you learn how to fly your aircraft to land safely so that most of the time you fly your aircraft your the one in control.
2017-4-22
Use props
marktmaxwell
New
United States

Deep cleansing breath.  

This thread has too much angst.  

Just sayin' . . .  

Not directed an any one in particular, bu please consider lightening up a little.

2017-4-22
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-22 06:41
a siren on a fire truck an ambulance or police car these are annoying, but why are they there, safety

Yes . . . and they can be turned off. If you want to be continuously reminded that your remote's battery is low then just don't silence the beeping. But arguing that others who do want that option shouldn't be given the choice makes as much sense as arguing that the RTH beeping shouldn't be mutable.

Not to sure what post your reading.

I don't have a problem of turning off beeping on RC, but do have a problem with beeping being mutable for RTH .
2017-4-22
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-22 07:19
Not to sure what post your reading.

I don't have a problem of turning off beeping on RC, but do have a problem with beeping being mutable for RTH .

I don't have a problem of turning off beeping on RC

Sorry, I thought you were agreeing with the sentiment expressed previously that being able to disable the low RC battery beeping was a bad idea.
2017-4-22
Use props
fans624ddb03
New
Germany

couldn't have said it better
2017-4-22
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Owen Manderfiel Posted at 2017-4-21 23:16
The return to home with precision landing is a great safty feature as it allows the user to look aroubd to ensure the landing site is clear of people or dogs as the mavic is coming in to land.
But with the very alarming beeping sound - everybody within 50m thinks you have a serious problem and that you are putting them in danger!
This is exactly the sort of bad impression that is gettibg drones banned. Fly safe and don't annoy anybody. Standing near somebody with a very loud alarm going off doesnt help keep a low profile.

There are very good reasons why this beeping occurs and why it continues until it lands. When you initiate RTH you do it for many reasons, usually because you have lost sight or orientation, it may also happen that a pilot gets into trouble is not feeling well for whatever reason, once you push the button the aircraft is now flying in auto and you are expecting certain things to happen to land your AC safely.

If people can hear it 30 meters away, and they can sense danger and keep a safe distance surely that's a good thing, we live with constant warning beeping for many things that happen these days and all of them for the benefit of a safer world for everyone, we hear everyday the constant beeping of lorries telling us to be careful that he is reversing, and to stand clear, should we ask him to switch it off because it's annoying us.

I've done some beta work on the Mavic and another dji aircraft, safety is paramount to dji and all their aircraft, the beeping keeps you constantly aware that your aircraft is continuing to return to home point it allows civilians to know to keep clear just like the beeping from the lorry does,
We must all strive to keep these aircraft as safe as possible , and stop trying to remove safety failsafes because they may cause a bit of embarrassment for some.

When you explain to those who need to know, that you have engaged a failsafe option on your AC and let them see how safe and precise it really is, you will have gained their trust and the will go away much more impressed with the safe elements of drones.
Fly safe and happy.
2017-4-22
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

The RTH beeping is there for a reason , just deal with it . It's to alert bystanders that there is a returning aircraft that is not under the operators control approaching . I'm surprised that Dji doesn't actually put a beeper on the drone itself since who knows if it will make it back and it may be placing people outside the controllers audible range in danger . I wouldn't mind hearing a loud beep right before a drone smacks me on the head a mile away from the operator ,lol .

It's also there to alert people that a drone is returning due to an inexperienced or lazy operator . Still good reasons for people to be concerned .
2017-4-22
Use props
BetaPilot
lvl.2

Canada

@Harbourside @DroneFlying @CelticWarrior  Have any of you actually read the OP and used your brain while doing so? I am NOT complaining about an added feature, I just don't understand why they would allow us to mute the critical battery warning which is a safety feature that we can all respect, but not allow us to mute RTH beeping which is an intelligent flight mode that we can and often do initiate ON PURPOSE. We don't need a constant and distracting warning that an intelligent flight mode is being executed just like we don't need it when we use Active Track, Follow, Trace, etc. We initiate those modes, we know what the Mavic is doing and we can plan for that in the same way as RTH. If the argument is that people need to be warned that the Mavic is flying under it's own control, then explain why you don't think it's needed for all the other intelligent flight modes!

I'm NOT asking them to remove the feature... I'm asking them to allow us to mute the RTH beeping just like the critical battery beeping. Do you not see the backwards logic here? Are you people just too lazy to think or what? Use common sense when you post a reply. Please do explain why you folks think that it makes sense to allow muting a Critical Battery Warning but not okay to allow us to acknowledge and mute the RTH beeping, especially when we initiate the RTH on our own as a feature, not as an emergency. Or just keep dancing around the big purple elephant in the middle of the room and pretend it doesn't exist... *SMH*
2017-4-22
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

BetaPilot Posted at 2017-4-22 09:31
@Harbourside @DroneFlying @CelticWarrior  Have any of you actually read the OP and used your brain while doing so? I am NOT complaining about an added feature, I just don't understand why they would allow us to mute the critical battery warning which is a safety feature that we can all respect, but not allow us to mute RTH beeping which is an intelligent flight mode that we can and often do initiate ON PURPOSE. We don't need a constant and distracting warning that an intelligent flight mode is being executed just like we don't need it when we use Active Track, Follow, Trace, etc. We initiate those modes, we know what the Mavic is doing and we can plan for that in the same way as RTH. If the argument is that people need to be warned that the Mavic is flying under it's own control, then explain why you don't think it's needed for all the other intelligent flight modes!

I'm NOT asking them to remove the feature... I'm asking them to allow us to mute the RTH beeping just like the critical battery beeping. Do you not see the backwards logic here? Are you people just too lazy to think or what? Use common sense when you post a reply. Please do explain why you folks think that it makes sense to allow muting a Critical Battery Warning but not okay to allow us to acknowledge and mute the RTH beeping, especially when we initiate the RTH on our own as a feature, not as an emergency. Or just keep dancing around the big purple elephant in the middle of the room and pretend it doesn't exist... *SMH*

First of all my comments where about the absolute need to keep beeping for RTH and the reasons for keeping it, it is not like active track or follow me modes, it's a totally different operation all together. Once you employ RTH your aircraft is now flying on its own in automatic mode, you are no longer controlling the AC , you could be lying on the ground having a heart attack and if that was the case do you think it fair for the general public not to be warned of your AC landing, and it beeps continually for many other good reasons, you can read my other posts.

Regards to RC beeping below 15%, remote control has a battery life of about 4/5 hours if this has happened to you more than once you have a real problem in preparing for flying, your remote loosing power and in turn signal will trigger your AC to return home, so it has a failsafe, and dji have given you an option to turn of the beeping, I won't be turning of the beeping, I have never heard it and I would suggest others should do the same, that's my thinking about that.

RTH is a totally different thing altogether and I don't see dji ever putting this warning down to chance.
2017-4-22
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Have any of you actually read the OP and used your brain while doing so?

Yes, I not only "read the OP and used [my] brain" but also managed to post a reply without resorting to snarky rhetorical questions. So maybe some of us have "used our brains" more than others -- and it might not be who you think.

I am NOT complaining about an added feature

Then why the emphasis on and mention of the new feature in the title and your initial post? And by the way, it's not the "critical battery beeping" that can now be disabled as you indicated in the title: that's something entirely different from the remote controller low battery beeping.

I do agree that it would be nice to be able to silence the RTH beeping, but from a safety standpoint losing power on the remote sooner than necessary is a bigger problem than unwanted noise during RTH.
2017-4-22
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Why are we arguing amongst ourselfs? It makes no sense whatsoever. If one person wants the RTH beep and another doesn't ... whats the fekin problem?

The beep is there as an informative thing, Other crafts don't beep, my old phantom never even used to beep at all so its not there for health and safety reasons. RTH is as much a feature now as it is an emergency function, i think there should be an option to disable the audible beep if the user wants to, simples.

A beeper on the AC is a good shout tbh, i like that idea, but configurable by the user too.
2017-4-22
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

You obviously got mixed up with critical battery and remote battery, critical battery will on its own initiate RTH and so you will automatically have beeping for critical battery RTH .
2017-4-22
Use props
BetaPilot
lvl.2

Canada

Yes I did get mixed up apparently, I didn't realize it was remote battery... my bad. I thought "turn off the remote controller low battery level warning" meant turning off the warning beeps coming from the remote. I could have clarified in my reply in a much more friendly manner, I'm sorry about that, just got a bit frustrated with people twisting my words/intention around. Let's be civil and get to the root of this.

@DroneFlying You agreed with me that RTH beeping should be mutable and this was my main point, not that the critical battery shouldn't be mutable. RTH is not just a failsafe as Danny-B- stated, it is a failsafe option and an advanced, intelligent feature and flight mode.

@CelticWarrior First of all my comments where about the absolute need to keep beeping for RTH and the reasons for keeping it, it is not like active track or follow me modes, it's a totally different operation all together. Once you employ RTH your aircraft is now flying on its own in automatic mode, you are no longer controlling the AC

In other intelligent flight modes the AC is still flying on it's own in autopilot. It's not totally different at all, please explain in detail why you think it is. Also you can still take control at any time as long as there's a connection b/w AC and RC, without a connection it should beep continuously until the link is re-established. I'm open to all views if they're logical, I think everyone is right to some extent here. I do not want to see safety features taken away, I just want the option to stop the annoying beep. I'n not going to just forget the Mavic is in RTH and start eating a sandwich or take a nap, so why the need to constantly remind me? If there's an issue while it's returning home or anyone around me could be in danger I will inform them myself, not leave them guessing what the beeping is all about. The other DJI AC do not beep continuously in RTH mode so why does the Mavic need to? Beeping should not replace responsibility in any case.

critical battery will on its own initiate RTH

Critical battery will initiate emergency landing which should beep continuously because it is an emergency situation. Low battery will initiate RTH if enabled, which is not always an emergency unless you're out too far to make it back, but having Smart RTH enabled should minimize the chances of this as long as the wind isn't too strong.

Situations where I see continuous beeping necessary:

Critical AC battery
Critical AC or RC errors or malfunctions
Lost signal, until signal is re-established
Approaching a No Fly Zone
Extreme wind velocity (mutable with power button)
When the vision sensors detect that you're too close to an obstacle

2017-4-22
Use props
BetaPilot
lvl.2

Canada

@CelticWarrior I forgot to mention that Waypoint mode is fully autonomous. Do you think that the remote should beep continuously when in Waypoint mode?
2017-4-22
Use props
TakeFlite
lvl.4
Australia

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-22 06:08
Picture your Mavic out of sight, you hit RTH , nothing happens no warnings just silence, your not sure if it's coming behind you above you in front of you , your a new flyer your disoriented and there are civilians around, how does the silence help in this situation, truth is it doesn't. This is a warning to you and those around you that an uncontrolled aircraft is about to come in your space so be careful, doing away with failsafe procedures just to save your embarrassment is simply just not a good idea.

Yes but you PURPOSELY hit RTH and you really shouldn't be flying in a very populated area where you need to make sure RTH doesn't hit anyone, You can see where it is on your screen and should hopefully be in a reasonable line of site, therefore no one should be in danger? I understand what you are saying but the pilot knows that they are RTH so don't need the warning. Just not needed in my opinion. Maybe they could make it an option to have the warning on or not? Then it suits everyone.
2017-4-22
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

BetaPilot Posted at 2017-4-22 13:57
@CelticWarrior I forgot to mention that Waypoint mode is fully autonomous. Do you think that the remote should beep continuously when in Waypoint mode?

Also you can still take control at any time as long as there's a connection b/w AC and RC, without a connection it .
So the the answer to that is you are not always in control there are situations like the one you mention loosing connection. I never said you could not take back control, I said once you hit RTH your aircraft is now in automatic I didn't say autonomous which is a different thing.

Again your totally wrong about critical battery and low battery, I'll try to explain.
Low battery is where you set a time to start warning you your battery is getting low, it will keep warning you until you reach critical battery, at this stage it will automatically go into RTH mode, it can also figure out if it has enough power to get home, and if not it will just land, you can read all this in the Manual.

Lastly if you think waypoints and RTH are one of the same thing , then you should try doing a little more study about flying these aircraft, also waypoints are not autonomous they are automatic, one you need a pilot for the other you don't .
2017-4-22
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

"I forgot to mention that Waypoint mode is fully autonomous. Do you think that the remote should beep continuously when in Waypoint mode?"

RTH is different in the sense that other modes such as Waypoint are planned flights (sort of a thin line here ) and Dji expects RTH to be used as a failsafe because something has happened . Either the operator flew past the batteries limits or got disoriented as to where the aircraft was etc .  The issue is Dji seems to have advertised RTH as a feature when it really shouldn't be used as such or expected to be entirely reliable as a crutch for learning to fly .  
2017-4-22
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

"my old phantom never even used to beep at all so its not there for health and safety reasons."

My older vehicles didn't beep when the door was not fully closed or the seatbelt was not latched but they have been added for health and safety reasons .
2017-4-22
Use props
BetaPilot
lvl.2

Canada

Thanks for clarifying about the low battery and critical triggers CelticWarrior. I didn't mean to say autonomous by the way, that was my phone auto-correcting. I meant to say was that it's an automatic flight mode which is not totally different compared to other automated flight modes. I'm not saying waypoint and RTH are the same, I'm just saying that in both situations the AC is flying itself without any user input. I guess we can just agree to disagree but I do think the RTH beeping should be mutable for several reasons, especially when I intentionally initiate it. Critical warnings should result in continuous beeping but RTH when initiated by the user is not critical in my opinion.

Comparing this to a seat belt warning or truck backing up is like comparing apples to oranges. Why doesn't the Phantom beep when in RTH? It's safe for that AC but not the Mavic Pro? I realize the Mavic has a much larger consumer base and thus needs more safety options compared to the Phantom but that doesn't justify this situation in my eyes.
2017-4-22
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

TakeFlite Posted at 2017-4-22 14:01
Yes but you PURPOSELY hit RTH and you really shouldn't be flying in a very populated area where you need to make sure RTH doesn't hit anyone, You can see where it is on your screen and should hopefully be in a reasonable line of site, therefore no one should be in danger? I understand what you are saying but the pilot knows that they are RTH so don't need the warning. Just not needed in my opinion. Maybe they could make it an option to have the warning on or not? Then it suits everyone.

RTH is a failsafe operation on these aircraft, there are going to be times you need to use it for safety reasons, and they are the main reasons you need RTH the beeping is a warning that your aircraft is now operating automatically from the time you hit RTH until it lands, I don't think dji will change this because it bothers a few and I don't think aviation safety bodies would want it turned off, cutting back on safety issues is never a progressive thing to do.
If you don't like the beeping you always have the option to land your aircraft yourself, which most pilots do, if you are nervous or think you might not be capable of landing your AC then 100% you need the warning beep.

When you do your commercial exam you will be asked to do a RTH you will also be asked what happens when you preform a RTH , you will also be asked what happens if you get ill or struck down and you must have in place a scenario to cover this.

My thinking is if you don't like the beeping land it yourself, if you can't land it you need the beeping...
2017-4-22
Use props
TakeFlite
lvl.4
Australia

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-22 15:22
RTH is a failsafe operation on these aircraft, there are going to be times you need to use it for safety reasons, and they are the main reasons you need RTH the beeping is a warning that your aircraft is now operating automatically from the time you hit RTH until it lands, I don't think dji will change this because it bothers a few and I don't think aviation safety bodies would want it turned off, cutting back on safety issues is never a progressive thing to do.
If you don't like the beeping you always have the option to land your aircraft yourself, which most pilots do, if you are nervous or think you might not be capable of landing your AC then 100% you need the warning beep.

But you know that RTH has been initiated, you activated it after all. Its basically warning you of what you just did? Idk I'm two ways on this, I believe you only need it in a critical situation where the drone has calculated it only has enough battery left to get back. Casual pilots that just don't want to do the work of flying it back say a good few kilometres/miles have to listen to it for 'x' amount of time? Just my personal opinion, I know others think otherwise
2017-4-22
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

TakeFlite Posted at 2017-4-22 15:30
But you know that RTH has been initiated, you activated it after all. Its basically warning you of what you just did? Idk I'm two ways on this, I believe you only need it in a critical situation where the drone has calculated it only has enough battery left to get back. Casual pilots that just don't want to do the work of flying it back say a good few kilometres/miles have to listen to it for 'x' amount of time? Just my personal opinion, I know others think otherwise

Look if casual pilots can fly there Mavics a few miles which is not always safe, but that's another issue, then they are the ones in most need of the beeping, very much the same as people getting into there cars and , short journey won't put on they're seat belt so they have to drive with the beeping going at them, beeping has now become synonymous with safety, in your car reversing trucks home alarms, and none of these beeping noises will stop until it's safe, so why should it be any different for these drones.
2017-4-22
Use props
TakeFlite
lvl.4
Australia

First off yes I agree, people shouldn't be flying that far (unless in desert, etc.) but it's a fact that some people do and won't get caught. But I still don't understand no one is in danger if they just simply want to bring their drone back to them. The beeping won't alert a tree if they set their RTH altitude to low, it's just telling the pilot that they are RTH which they already know. So therefore everything is safe? Correct me if I'm wrong
2017-4-22
Use props
TakeFlite
lvl.4
Australia

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-22 15:49
Look if casual pilots can fly there Mavics a few miles which is not always safe, but that's another issue, then they are the ones in most need of the beeping, very much the same as people getting into there cars and , short journey won't put on they're seat belt so they have to drive with the beeping going at them, beeping has now become synonymous with safety, in your car reversing trucks home alarms, and none of these beeping noises will stop until it's safe, so why should it be any different for these drones.

First off yes I agree, people shouldn't be flying that far (unless in desert, etc.) but it's a fact that some people do and won't get caught. But I still don't understand no one is in danger if they just simply want to bring their drone back to them. The beeping won't alert a tree if they set their RTH altitude to low, it's just telling the pilot that they are RTH which they already know. So therefore everything is safe? Correct me if I'm wrong
2017-4-22
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

TakeFlite Posted at 2017-4-22 15:58

No it won't alert about a tree, but if you can't see your drone the beeping will tell you it's on course and coming home, if the beeping stops you will almost certainly know you hit that tree or at least something has gone wrong.

I think I have exhausted my option on this now, if people don't agree or think I'm wrong. Well the sky won't fall in. Good chatting to you mate.
2017-4-22
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

BetaPilot Posted at 2017-4-22 13:52
Yes I did get mixed up apparently, I didn't realize it was remote battery... my bad. I thought "turn off the remote controller low battery level warning" meant turning off the warning beeps coming from the remote. I could have clarified in my reply in a much more friendly manner, I'm sorry about that, just got a bit frustrated with people twisting my words/intention around. Let's be civil and get to the root of this.

@DroneFlying You agreed with me that RTH beeping should be mutable and this was my main point, not that the critical battery shouldn't be mutable. RTH is not just a failsafe as Danny-B- stated, it is a failsafe option and an advanced, intelligent feature and flight mode.

I could have clarified in my reply in a much more friendly manner, I'm sorry about that

No real harm done. And I'll bet that one of these days DJI will offer the ability to mute the RTH beeping, as it seems to be one of the most frequently requested changes, if not the most frequently requested.
2017-4-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules