Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Progamable interface/gui/api fpr Ronin
15965 29 2015-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pjenness
New

New Zealand

Hi

Im looking at the Ronin Gimbal and 90% sure its what I want to buy, but am curious about the input options

I see it has the hand controller which is fine for live movement and framing, but is there any way to setup a custom move via software or some interface.

For exampl if I wanted to use it as a time lapse motion control, where I want a very slight slow move (potentaill over 1- hours)  it will be impossible by hand but would need some sort of programmable interface.

Ive googled and looked thruthe forums but havent found any thing yet.

Any options available.

Thanks!!

-Paul

2015-3-3
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Hi,
It's an interesting idea.
I just wonder during the 1 hour operation, where will you fix Ronin on?
From my point of view, the first method is fix ronin on a stepping motor whose rotating speed can be programmed. And Ronin can follow the movement via Smooth-track.
Another is applying APP SDK for DJI's website:  http://dev.dji.com/
2015-3-3
Use props
Holx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

A motion control software would be great vor vfx purposes.

Fixing the ronin in upright modus via an adapter on a tripod.

And a software making it possible to program a paning move, and replaying it identically, or scaling it for timelapse purposes.

Would be a shure buy for me

Holger
2015-3-4
Use props
darrin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1004731 ft
United States

I'm trying to figure this out too, wanted to introduce myself! New around here!

Adding the Ronin into my motion control system and finding a method for programmable camera moves is on my list...
I can think of some options .. going to test..
hacking  remote bluetooth channels via laptop
trying to control hooks in a program like dragonframe
ardunio /bluetooth/ sliders via IE lighting DMX controler.( programable)

I have nine axis motion control system in progress with the Ronin acting as my pan tilt and roll.
I can rig the system as DC - for real time moves and has some programmable options.
Or rig it as Stepper system for programmable moves ramping moves etc.. with 3-5 different software options.

I believe they are using servo motors and looking for stepper/servo crossover..
open to ideas and collaborations!!
cheers
Darrin Nupuf
2015-4-3
Use props
Edward Martins
lvl.1

Kenya

i thinking the ronin to be a 3 axis motion contol
2016-4-23
Use props
Strelle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105367 ft

Austria

Push!!!

Genau danach suche ich auch
2016-4-24
Use props
werner.daehn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

The DJI SDK is for flight controllers, not the Ronin. I am in the same boat, would like to remote control the Ronin-M with absolute angles.
2016-4-26
Use props
olders.liam
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

The movi by freeflysystems has timelapse mode come on DJI. Also I now have an MX but I can't find the option GPS module they clearly speak of.
IMG_4042.PNG
2016-9-13
Use props
gt3rs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280056 ft

+1 Would be really cool to have an SDK or additional functions like timelapse etc....  Also the possibility to build a Mimic style controller only whit a phone should be doable
2016-9-15
Use props
Iradavic
lvl.1

Croatia

cmon DJI

WE NEED TIMELAPSE MODE..

I have a ronin MX and i create timelapses with phisically adjusting the dji controller to make it move across one hour

i feel like a dumbass when i see the Movi has that option whitin the app..
2016-11-7
Use props
fans6e6a0058
lvl.2
Flight distance : 219275 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I too would be very interested in this feature and it seems completely in DJI favour - they would be then also marketing the Ronin to photographers not just videographers.  Place the Ronin on a tripod , set up the timelapse in camera, set up the motion timelapse movement in Ronin and press go (twice) so to speak...DJI what are you waiting for?
2017-1-5
Use props
fans386c87f2
lvl.3
Argentina

fans6e6a0058 Posted at 2017-1-5 05:43
I too would be very interested in this feature and it seems completely in DJI favour - they would be then also marketing the Ronin to photographers not just videographers.  Place the Ronin on a tripod , set up the timelapse in camera, set up the motion timelapse movement in Ronin and press go (twice) so to speak...DJI what are you waiting for?

They won't make a Fw update, instead they will make another ronin that has that feature built in. Even if the current ronins can run the features correctly
2017-1-5
Use props
fans5d68f3aa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 490308 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My interest is in using the Ronin MX for ground based photospheres. An SDK/API must already exist as used by the assistant apps for iOS/Android. Publicly releasing it would be of great use DJI ;) The only work around I can currently see is to use the mobile SDK for drones and hook it up to the A3 flight controller, which isn't a cheap work around or easy if a drone needs to be carried around everywhere.
2017-3-8
Use props
lamy
lvl.1

France

Please Dji ! Should not be so hard to add Timelapse mode on the application and it will be VERY VERY VERY APPRECIATE !!!!!!
2017-6-8
Use props
liondor
lvl.2

Romania

please DJI ..invert mode on Ronin M
2017-6-14
Use props
1v4r
New

Norway

The lack of a timelapse feature even as a payed software upgrade puts shame on DJI. This feature would add great value to the RONIN product series and would be beneficial for all users of the products with little to no cost for DJI. To ignore this obvious feature appears unimaginary at best but I rather suspect a miserly and cheap marketing decision that in effect prevents an easy implementation of this feature by third parties. I hope DJI will realize their fault and that they will endeavor to correct this flaw in an otherwise great product.
2017-7-18
Use props
WernerD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Agree. Ronin-M in my case.
2017-8-21
Use props
tecel8
lvl.1
Germany

That would be an awesome feature!!! Please DJI :-)
2017-9-1
Use props
fans41554774
New

Egypt

waiting
2017-11-13
Use props
Za1d
lvl.1
Canada

Yes exactly ! , they definitely need to implement an software upgrade which enables a (Time Lapse Motion Control System) . We need to send Dji bunch of emails!!! More people! Stronger the word spreads, pretty sure they will do something to keep their customers happy & finely compete with the MoVI gimbals which already have this feature built in!
2017-12-11
Use props
Za1d
lvl.1
Canada

Za1d Posted at 2017-12-11 22:40
Yes exactly ! , they definitely need to implement an software upgrade which enables a (Time Lapse Motion Control System) . We need to send Dji bunch of emails!!! More people! Stronger the word spreads, pretty sure they will do something to keep their customers happy & finely compete with the MoVI gimbals which already have this feature built in!

here's a video!  ( )
2017-12-11
Use props
Za1d
lvl.1
Canada

Za1d Posted at 2017-12-11 22:52
here's a video!  ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7RsiungyfA )

and this video aswell
2017-12-11
Use props
jusvalt
lvl.1

Finland

I have insvestigated this aswell for my own purposes and found some solutions to do it. So I'm pretty sure I can develop this feature. Solution either works only via phone app or need little interface box between phone app and ronin.

Planned features are:
- two different timelapse modes: shoot move shoot and continous.
- full 3 axis keyframes and ramping system.
- camera shutter control with cable (so system controls camera shutter (exposure time, exposure ramping, interval etc.), focusing etc.
- repeating pingpong modes for video
- full automatic motion control, so you can shoot absolute same path movement as many times you want. So this is great for vfx

First product contains at least timelapse modes (shoot move shoot, continues).

If you donate me, I can help all of us and I'll develop software (IOS, android and possible windows desktop) and cirquit(small interface box). Small interface box will needed if I can't make this work only via smartphone app/pc software.

I have allready developed my own motorized camera slider and pan tilt head timelapse system based Arduino and IOS app, so I'm familiar with these kind of systems.
2018-1-5
Use props
denisburkin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 117375 ft
Russia

API ???
2018-1-14
Use props
fans4d79f738
New
Flight distance : 43150 ft
United States

I think I might've found a temporary solution to this issue using the DJI assistant app.

Under 'Gimbal' go to 'SmoothTrack'.

Set Pan Axis Speed to 2.

Set Tilt Axis Speed to 1.

Hit Test Tilt Speed.

When Tilt reaches its bottom limit hit Test Pan Speed.

Start Timelaps when Pan reaches it's left limit.

This will give you a basic left to right pan with an upward tilt.

You might get a little more out of it if you set the Pan Speed to 1 and just do a flat pan.

This is obviously a very rudimentary and limited workaround but for those of us who are stuck with the Ronin-M it might be our only option.

I am going to try this technique at an upcoming project and will let you know if it works out.

2018-1-27
Use props
djiuser_t57TEqDXs6Ue
New

Canada

jusvalt Posted at 2018-1-5 12:38
I have insvestigated this aswell for my own purposes and found some solutions to do it. So I'm pretty sure I can develop this feature. Solution either works only via phone app or need little interface box between phone app and ronin.

Planned features are:

Have you made any progress on this looking desperately to find something to make this work
2019-5-16
Use props
Bradley Knight8
New

United States

jusvalt Posted at 2018-1-5 12:38

Planned features are:

Did you ever make this feature work bro? Very interested in buying the app or whatever if you have a functional version!!!!

Also, DJI, WTF MAN?
I have had the Ronin MX for 3 years and you haven’t updated .... That’s kinda messed up considering how much it was when I bought it new, and now you have the Ronin SC with this feature, cmon. This is ridiculous.
Probably going with freefly systems next time, because you guys have completely made me and many others feel you don’t give a single ... about us...
2020-4-2
Use props
Marauder2k9
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I got this working to some extent with SCS (show cue systems)

You program it into the usb output to add values to a certain number (same thing is done with the likes of a usb audio interface) You can set up timed events so far i am able to do a pan movement over an hour, but messing around with different ids to see what the number should be for tilt and joining movements etc, little finicky. Not only that you constantly need to have a laptop connected to it
2020-7-22
Use props
Marauder2k9
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Yeah just tested it out again because it has been a while since i did this and because it was a bit janky,

So you setup the Ronin (im using Ronin MX) the same way you would set up an audio device, for example i use a behringer x air 18 when doing live shows and things.

When you have it all connected up you can send different commands through the usb signal to the ronin mx and cue them to happen at different times for example if you are doing motion matched shots you will work out all your times before hand anyway, but you can start a countdown that starts a pan rotation and then at the end of the countdown it will pitch the ronin too. I will try and do a tutorial on this because it is an extremely useful tool, just sucks that you have to have a laptop connected in order to do it. Also it should be stated if you are able to do this with 3rd party software quite directly, there is no reason why dji cant add it into their apps. But it seems they have completely forgotten about Ronin-M and Ronin-MX in favor of the S and SC.
2020-7-24
Use props
drqt
lvl.1

United States

Marauder2k9 Posted at 2020-7-24 02:34
Yeah just tested it out again because it has been a while since i did this and because it was a bit janky,

So you setup the Ronin (im using Ronin MX) the same way you would set up an audio device, for example i use a behringer x air 18 when doing live shows and things.

I would really like to test this out.  
Is there anyway you can make the code/approach available?

The computer cable is a drag, but workable in my context.
2022-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules