Just Lost My Mavic in the Gulf of Mexico! Help DJI!!
1234Next >
9717 130 2017-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BengalBoy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-25 00:35
Do you mean all the flight records were synced expect the last one?

Mindy,  I synched the flight records yesterday, but, I do not see in the DJI GO 4 app the last flight as recorded on Facebook.  A earlier flight that morning over a Marina nearby is the only one that actually shows up as a flight record.  I did receive a email from "John" at DJI asking if I was able to recover the Mavic, unfortunately, I was not.  It sank in the Gulf to far away from the beach to safely go look for it.  Here is the last flight as recorded by FaceBook during its live stream.

https://www.facebook.com/bengalb ... 4377289533212221472
2017-4-25
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-4-25 13:23
Mindy,  I synched the flight records yesterday, but, I do not see in the DJI GO 4 app the last flight as recorded on Facebook.  A earlier flight that morning over a Marina nearby is the only one that actually shows up as a flight record.  I did receive a email from "John" at DJI asking if I was able to recover the Mavic, unfortunately, I was not.  It sank in the Gulf to far away from the beach to safely go look for it.  Here is the last flight as recorded by FaceBook during its live stream.

https://www.facebook.com/bengalboy/videos/10213034589162792/?l=4377289533212221472

If you were flying in Sanddestin, Florida regardless of what your friends app said, you were 100% in a DJI authorization zone, meaning you need authorization to fly here (see my screenshot above and you will clearly see a big yellow circle around that whole area). I wouldn't trust anyone's maps other than DJIs because thats the geo maps that the Mavic is using. Just because an area is not considered a no fly zone by the faa doesnt mean its not a DJI authorization or no fly zone.

Look it up for yourself, anything in yellow circle is an authorization zone and the red circles are no fly zones: http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/map

You can also look at these maps, both have this area listed as restricted airspace.
http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/

The question I would be asking is why the aircraft let you fly there initially and then auto landed your AC on app reboot.

2017-4-25
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Wow.  The entire coast is offlimits?  I don't think so.  You are in international waters 12 miles off the coast and no flight is restricted in that airspace.  If it were, we would be shooting down Russians almost every day.  I wonder why Airnav thinks that is restricted airspace?

Edit:  Very interesting discussion on the issue:  http://www.pprune.org/questions/ ... 2-nm-off-shore.html
2017-4-25
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

This thread inspired me to get a Getterback.  Is one enough?  Or do you think 2 is required?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... smid=A1UJOHKTS8SVG9

2017-4-25
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-25 14:01
Wow.  The entire coast is offlimits?  I don't think so.  You are in international waters 12 miles off the coast and no flight is restricted in that airspace.  If it were, we would be shooting down Russians almost every day.  I wonder why Airnav thinks that is restricted airspace?

Edit:  Very interesting discussion on the issue:  http://www.pprune.org/questions/396542-airspace-classification-more-than-12-nm-off-shore.html

Both maps have this area listed as restricted or requires authorization. I seriously doubt they are both incorrect. I do agree with you it seems odd that these areas would be restricted or even need authorization but clearly they do, in fact it appears that many coastal areas are considered "restricted or special use".
2017-4-25
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-4-25 13:30
If you were flying in Sanddestin, Florida regardless of what your friends app said, you were 100% in a DJI authorization zone, meaning you need authorization to fly here (see my screenshot above and you will clearly see a big yellow circle around that whole area). I wouldn't trust anyone's maps other than DJIs because thats the geo maps that the Mavic is using. Just because an area is not considered a no fly zone by the faa doesnt mean its not a DJI authorization or no fly zone.

Look it up for yourself, anything in yellow circle is an authorization zone and the red circles are no fly zones: http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/map

Hey, I'm not arguing with you about whether it is some kind of NFZ based on DJI's data, I'm just saying, every time I fire up the Mavic since upgrading to latest firmware, it gives a NFZ error message before changing to "Ready to Fly" and allowing you to start the motors.  This was true at my own home where I was flying without a NFZ error message on DJI GO 4 before upgrading firmware, then, going through this menu change after upgrade.  I can only tell you that I started the Mavic Pro on the beach after getting the NFZ startup error,,, it changed to "Ready to Fly" and then I began to live stream to Facebook before starting the engines and flying.  I am sick to my stomach for my loss when I was enjoying the drone so much, but, I want to know what caused it to auto land?  If there was anything I could do to avoid losing the Mavic?  And how to prevent this from ever happening again!
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-4-25 13:23

https://www.facebook.com/bengalboy/videos/10213034589162792/?l=4377289533212221472

Could you please provide me with your ticket number or case number?
I'll help to add your link to your case.
2017-4-25
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-4-25 18:43
Hey, I'm not arguing with you about whether it is some kind of NFZ based on DJI's data, I'm just saying, every time I fire up the Mavic since upgrading to latest firmware, it gives a NFZ error message before changing to "Ready to Fly" and allowing you to start the motors.  This was true at my own home where I was flying without a NFZ error message on DJI GO 4 before upgrading firmware, then, going through this menu change after upgrade.  I can only tell you that I started the Mavic Pro on the beach after getting the NFZ startup error,,, it changed to "Ready to Fly" and then I began to live stream to Facebook before starting the engines and flying.  I am sick to my stomach for my loss when I was enjoying the drone so much, but, I want to know what caused it to auto land?  If there was anything I could do to avoid losing the Mavic?  And how to prevent this from ever happening again!

I feel for you man and hopefully DJI can come up with a solution for you even though the AC is not recoverable. If the aircraft did indeed make you land because of the authorization zone then there had to be some type of error when you originally took off to allow you to even take off in the first place.

If it didn't land due to the NFZ then there had to be some other type of problem to make it land, either way I think the AC was malfunctioning.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-92476-1-1.html

Youre not the only one, the last update was suppose to fix stuff with NFZ but it sounds like it just made everything worse. You would think DJI could test their releases a little better rather than pushing the unfiinished product out but I cant really say I'm shocked. I am sitting on .400 firmware and will probably be keeping it forever because DJI fails to release stable updates.
2017-4-26
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-4-25 18:43

I know you said in earlier post you were going to upload logs if you get a chance you should.
2017-4-26
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-25 22:45

Mindy, I received another email from John at DJI asking me to synch the flight records of my Mavic with the DJI servers.  So, I did that once again.  He asked me to provide basic information and I sent him that email as well last night.  My ticket number appears to be #514118 and DJI seems to be getting on my case very rapidly.  Once again, though, my flight record of the "Auto Landing" Mavic is not on the DJI GO 4 app.  A flight I made over a Marina at the same resort area from earlier that morning is the only one that appears on the DJI Go 4 app.  I'm not sure if that means anything or not as hopefully the data of the flight in question would still be in a file that synched but simply isn't displayed on app because it didn't close properly?  So, right now I'm sitting here with the video of the last flight and the 3 people with me who watched it auto land on screen.  Its very poetic irony, because if you watch the video, I'm so excited I'm telling everyone that the DJI Mavic is the best drone from DJI yet.... haha,,, 5 minutes later it lands in the ocean.
2017-4-26
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-4-26 08:06
I feel for you man and hopefully DJI can come up with a solution for you even though the AC is not recoverable. If the aircraft did indeed make you land because of the authorization zone then there had to be some type of error when you originally took off to allow you to even take off in the first place.

If it didn't land due to the NFZ then there had to be some other type of problem to make it land, either way I think the AC was malfunctioning.

You know, I've been flying at this area with my Phantom 2 Vision+ and Phantom 4 for years.  I really learned to fly on the open ocean here.  Admittedly, there was no NFZ issue with the Phantom 2.  The Phantom 4 was a monster out on the ocean and I captured many sunsets flying on the very beach I lost the Mavic.  So, I'm kinda at a loss as to why the NFZ is even an issue in this matter when the Mavic had been flown here that morning at altitudes above 200 feet and obviously took off and flew from the beach before the auto land.  I don't think its the NFZ issue, I've flown my Phantom 4 into airspace and it immediately give you a warning that you are approaching a NFZ and will not travel any further in the direction of the NFZ.  It does not auto land, its stops and tells you to turn around.  I had none of those errors with the Mavic.  It flew like a F18 until the DJI Go 4 app crashed and upon restart, the Mavic went into Auto Land mode.  I think its a software thing,,, not an actual NFZ thing...
2017-4-26
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-26 08:26
I know you said in earlier post you were going to upload logs if you get a chance you should.

I will be happy to upload a log if I had one to upload?  I got the flight in the same area earlier that morning, but, the flight over the ocean where the Mavic auto lands is not a listed flight in the DJI Go 4 app.  Its simply not showing up as having actually occurred.  I'm sure a file of the data is recorded in there somewhere, but, the app crash probabably didn't close the data file properly and it isn't displayed in flight records.
2017-4-26
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-4-26 09:06
I will be happy to upload a log if I had one to upload?  I got the flight in the same area earlier that morning, but, the flight over the ocean where the Mavic auto lands is not a listed flight in the DJI Go 4 app.  Its simply not showing up as having actually occurred.  I'm sure a file of the data is recorded in there somewhere, but, the app crash probabably didn't close the data file properly and it isn't displayed in flight records.

Ok that explains it, sure let us know how you get on , good luck.
2017-4-26
Use props
BinDC
lvl.2
United States

I know that area very well. the FAA B4UFly doesn't have Sandestin as NFZ area and even the NFZ area is contained NW of Destin near VPS airport. VPS is a military base that is also used for commercial flights. If you were flying near the Hilton in Sandestin, then you should be ok via the FAA, you are more than 5 miles from Destin Executive Airport DTS. The Geocache system must of been updated recently because when I was down there for Christmas, the authorization and warning zones ended near Pompano Jo's restaurant on the beach.
2017-4-26
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-4-26 09:04
You know, I've been flying at this area with my Phantom 2 Vision+ and Phantom 4 for years.  I really learned to fly on the open ocean here.  Admittedly, there was no NFZ issue with the Phantom 2.  The Phantom 4 was a monster out on the ocean and I captured many sunsets flying on the very beach I lost the Mavic.  So, I'm kinda at a loss as to why the NFZ is even an issue in this matter when the Mavic had been flown here that morning at altitudes above 200 feet and obviously took off and flew from the beach before the auto land.  I don't think its the NFZ issue, I've flown my Phantom 4 into airspace and it immediately give you a warning that you are approaching a NFZ and will not travel any further in the direction of the NFZ.  It does not auto land, its stops and tells you to turn around.  I had none of those errors with the Mavic.  It flew like a F18 until the DJI Go 4 app crashed and upon restart, the Mavic went into Auto Land mode.  I think its a software thing,,, not an actual NFZ thing...

I've had the Mavic initiate autoland just after launching very near a NFZ, a few yards closer to the NFZ and it wouldn't take off at all. It seems to be normal behavior when the Mavic thinks it's too close to a NFZ.

Pure speculation, but it could be that after the crash and restart, before the app got it's GPS coords from the AC, the app decided it was too close to a GZ, either because with .0600 the app always thinks it's in a NFZ until it attains a lock from the AC, or it somehow got a spurious location that placed it too close to a nearby NFZ.

Lots of people are claiming spurious NFZ messages at start-up, and I think you are one of them. I can't say I've noticed this, myself, but I live inside the Washington, DC NFZ, so...

2017-4-26
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-4-26 09:06

I wonder if the DJI Assistant can recover logs left unclosed by the app? If not, that certainly sounds like a useful feature for DJI to add.
2017-4-26
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BinDC Posted at 2017-4-26 10:59
I know that area very well. the FAA B4UFly doesn't have Sandestin as NFZ area and even the NFZ area is contained NW of Destin near VPS airport. VPS is a military base that is also used for commercial flights. If you were flying near the Hilton in Sandestin, then you should be ok via the FAA, you are more than 5 miles from Destin Executive Airport DTS. The Geocache system must of been updated recently because when I was down there for Christmas, the authorization and warning zones ended near Pompano Jo's restaurant on the beach.

Yes, I was just down from the Hilton beyond the Elephant Walk.  I have flown for several years at Sandestin and Crab Island.  The Phantom 4 would fly at Crab Island as long as you didn't push it toward the airport.  I can only surmise based upon the flight and new "NFZ" startup error I'm seeing on DJI GO 4 before this incident that the DJI GO 4 app re-connected and instructed the Mavic to land because it was in a NFZ zone.  There were no other issues to cause an auto land.  If you watch my video, you can hear my friend ask how much battery life I have just minutes before the app crash.  You can hear me comment that I've got 68% battery and am impressed with the Mavic's battery life.  Its a interesting delima?  On one hand I'm very disappointed I'm having to go through the warranty process and I've lost my brand new Mavic.  On the other hand, as a person who enjoys the wireless tech I'm intrigued about what programming has developed to try and keep the DJI drones out of restrict air space.  Geo-fencing is cool, but, maybe DJI creating a default NFZ zone before app clearance to fly has taken this strategy for their drones too far?
2017-4-26
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-25 22:45

Mindy,  John from DJI just sent me this case number.  CAS-602249-D5M1H1  I think that is what you are looking for and not the one I previously posted for you.  Thank you for your attention to my case.
2017-4-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-4-26 18:10
Mindy,  John from DJI just sent me this case number.  CAS-602249-D5M1H1  I think that is what you are looking for and not the one I previously posted for you.  Thank you for your attention to my case.

Thank you. I have added your link to the case.
Our support team will follow up the case with you.
2017-4-26
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Sorry for your lost. Have you tried to take the APP log and upload them into airdata.com ? If you paste the link here we could see what the drone was thinking (as long as the app was processing it)
2017-4-26
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-4-26 23:19
Sorry for your lost. Have you tried to take the APP log and upload them into airdata.com ? If you paste the link here we could see what the drone was thinking (as long as the app was processing it)

The DJI GO 4 app didn't save the 10 minute flight on my data recorder, but, the video of that flight is available for viewing in the link of this thread.  I've synched all my flight data to DJI's servers.  I would think the data is in a file up to the point of the app crashing, I'm just not seeing it under the flight data for my Mavic.  Its interesting the DJI GO 4 app has my flight data catagorized for my different Phantom 4 drones and my Mavic. Certainly is a major improvement over the old days of Phantom 2 fly aways and arguments about pilot error or malfunction.  Its amazing how sophisticated our little drones have become and the software that flys them. On the downside, maybe the autonomous features and software is becoming alittle too sophisticated for devices to run?  I'm thinking in the next few generations DJI will be moving to a system that includes its own CrystalSky monitors and wireless systems.  DJI Smartphone anyone?
2017-4-27
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ok,  here is the link to the flight on Airdata.com  Although it isn't displayed on my DJI Go Flight log the file is in there after following the directions of airdata.com  Thanks for the information about this service member CuaC. This is the first flight that was streaming video live to Facebook before the DJI GO 4 app crashed:

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=BhKopJ

After the DJI GO 4 app fatally crashed on my Samsung Galaxy S8, it restarted.  I left the Mavic Pro at the exact spot the drone was located at the time of the crash, about 70 feet high as the DJI Go 4 app restarted.  It then gave me an auto landing error and what I didn't know until analyzing this log is that it reset the home point directly above its last location in the ocean.  It apparently went into RTH mode and rose to 122 feet before auto landing into the ocean.  My battery life was 63% at the time of Death.... My Mavic was much too young to drown.. only activated for 3 weeks before succumbing to "autonomous fever"..

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=dgSYnp
2017-4-27
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Here is the link to the last flight after the DJI GO 4 app re-connected and started to auto-land.  http://app.airdata.com/main?share=dgSYnp
2017-4-27
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-4-26 23:19

Ok,  here is the link to the flight on Airdata.com  Although it isn't displayed on my DJI Go Flight log the file is in there after following the directions of airdata.com  Thanks for the information about this service member CuaC. This is the first flight that was streaming video live to Facebook before the DJI GO 4 app crashed:

After the DJI GO 4 app fatally crashed on my Samsung Galaxy S8, it restarted.  I left the Mavic Pro at the exact spot the drone was located at the time of the crash, about 70 feet high as the DJI Go 4 app restarted.  It then gave me an auto landing error and what I didn't know until analyzing this log is that it reset the home point directly above its last location in the ocean.  It apparently went into RTH mode and rose to 122 feet before auto landing into the ocean.  My battery life was 63% at the time of Death.... My Mavic was much too young to drown.. only activated for 3 weeks before succumbing to "autonomous fever"..

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=dgSYnp
2017-4-27
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-4-27 19:56
Ok,  here is the link to the flight on Airdata.com  Although it isn't displayed on my DJI Go Flight log the file is in there after following the directions of airdata.com  Thanks for the information about this service member CuaC. This is the first flight that was streaming video live to Facebook before the DJI GO 4 app crashed:

Wow, check on the second log:

C        10m 47s        37.3 m        6 m        Tip        Aircraft is returning to the Home Point. Minimum RTH Altitude is 60m. You can reset the RTH Altitude
D        10m 47s        37.3 m        8 m        Mode        Mode changed to AutoLanding
E        10m 47s        37.3 m        8 m        Warning        Descending. Exited Visual Avoidance System

It seems your RTH was reset to it´s position and it landed there.  According to this log it´s definately nothing to do with a NFZ, it seems it took that position as home and landed there!
2017-4-28
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

CuaC Posted at 2017-4-28 09:43

C        10m 47s        37.3 m        6 m        Tip        Aircraft is returning to the Home Point. Minimum RTH Altitude is 60m. You can reset the RTH Altitude

Actually, it seems even weirder than that...  When the Mavic switched to AutoLanding and started descending, the log shows its distance from Home Point as 8m. Why would it have decided to land while still 8m from the Home Point? It should have descended directly over whatever it thought the Home Point was.

And then... After the AutoLanding had started, there's nothing in the log to indicate it exited the landing mode, and yet it apparently proceeded to move quite a distance away from the Home Point. The last data point shows it at 107m. Why did it end up over there if it was AutoLanding?

Strange indeed.

Not to mention the fact that the app crash and restart apparently caused a new Home Point to be set. This isn't the first time I've heard this suggested, but this seems to be the most proof I've seen of it so far.
2017-4-28
Use props
DrEMHmrk2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291575 ft
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-25 14:42
This thread inspired me to get a Getterback.  Is one enough?  Or do you think 2 is required?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIYIU8Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UJOHKTS8SVG9

Just FYI, the getterback DOES NOT refloat the drone, so one is the same as two.

The way the getterback works is like this: drone sinks, stays under for 5 to 15 minutes, then a water-sensitive piece inside the getterback disolves. After that, the yellow body comes free but is still connected to the drone by 100 feet of fishing line. The yellow body acts as a bouy which you can locate and then pull up the drone using the fishing line tether.
2017-4-28
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-4-28 09:43

C        10m 47s        37.3 m        6 m        Tip        Aircraft is returning to the Home Point. Minimum RTH Altitude is 60m. You can reset the RTH Altitude

That the "RTH" was reset to its position at the time of the DJI GO 4 re-booting was a interesting twist to me as well on what I experienced.   There was no way I was ever going to get RTH to work even if I had initiated it.  What the log doesn't show is what the DJI Go 4 app displayed on re-opening the "Go Fly" camera view.  A big "Auto Landing" in the middle of the screen and "NFZ Warning" in the top left where it generally says "Ready to Fly"  The app has always opened since upgrading to .600 with the "NFZ Warning" before changing to "Ready to Fly" after the app completely boots up with the Mavic.  The difference this time was that it was already "Auto Landing" by the time I cleared that annoying "Configure Fixed Wing Mode" tab.  
2017-4-28
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-4-28 10:13
Actually, it seems even weirder than that...  When the Mavic switched to AutoLanding and started descending, the log shows its distance from Home Point as 8m. Why would it have decided to land while still 8m from the Home Point? It should have descended directly over whatever it thought the Home Point was.

And then... After the AutoLanding had started, there's nothing in the log to indicate it exited the landing mode, and yet it apparently proceeded to move quite a distance away from the Home Point. The last data point shows it at 107m. Why did it end up over there if it was AutoLanding?

The Mavic's movement from its new Home Point is probably related to my desperate efforts to keep it out of the water.  I was giving it left stick "UP" and trying to fly it back closer to the Beach in the hopes of the "Auto Landing" some how being cancelled and/or gaining control of the drone.  I was actually more interested in the feet from home point being over 300.  Apparently, the Mavic's flight recorder continued to work as it sank to the bottom of the Emerald Coast.  

Thank you again for suggesting the AirData.com site, it really made me feel alot better about the situation in knowing that there was not much I could do.  Resetting of home point, auto landing, and my original description of the incident being backed up by the flight data really puts me at ease that my piloting of the Mavic should not be an issue.
2017-4-28
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

DrEMHmrk2 Posted at 2017-4-28 11:27
Just FYI, the getterback DOES NOT refloat the drone, so one is the same as two.

The way the getterback works is like this: drone sinks, stays under for 5 to 15 minutes, then a water-sensitive piece inside the getterback disolves. After that, the yellow body comes free but is still connected to the drone by 100 feet of fishing line. The yellow body acts as a bouy which you can locate and then pull up the drone using the fishing line tether.

I was worried if one may get tangled, so more chances with two.

I ended up buying one.
2017-4-28
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-4-28 12:04
The Mavic's movement from its new Home Point is probably related to my desperate efforts to keep it out of the water.  I was giving it left stick "UP" and trying to fly it back closer to the Beach in the hopes of the "Auto Landing" some how being cancelled and/or gaining control of the drone.  I was actually more interested in the feet from home point being over 300.  Apparently, the Mavic's flight recorder continued to work as it sank to the bottom of the Emerald Coast.  

Thank you again for suggesting the AirData.com site, it really made me feel alot better about the situation in knowing that there was not much I could do.  Resetting of home point, auto landing, and my original description of the incident being backed up by the flight data really puts me at ease that my piloting of the Mavic should not be an issue.

Assuming you get your drone replaced, that sport switch on the side blocks all things the aircraft is trying to do.  When all else fails, flick it next time.
2017-4-28
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-28 16:21
Assuming you get your drone replaced, that sport switch on the side blocks all things the aircraft is trying to do.  When all else fails, flick it next time.

Well,, I'll definitely try to remember that should this ever happen again, but, Gee,,, that would suck beyond sucking if I have to endure another lost Mavic because of a software crash.  It was quite a surprise when I saw that "auto-landing" message and my adrenaline level jumped... Not sure I would have the presence of mind to remember to try!!
2017-4-28
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Oh I hear ya, and I feel for ya as I would be pretty upset personally.
2017-4-28
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-28 18:01
Oh I hear ya, and I feel for ya as I would be pretty upset personally.

Yes, I have to have faith in the warranty process.   I've got some good things going my way in regards to this incident.

1.  I reported it immediately when it happened on this forum.  I posted a few minutes after it happened while still sitting on the beach.

2.  I have a video of the last flight that I live streamed on FaceBook.

3.  My initial description of the problem and what was happening from my perception was some days later backed up by the flight record data the DJI GO 4 app recorded.  Seeing that your not dreaming some issue or that it will be supported by the flight data is comforting while you wait.

4.  I have the airdata.com flight record for making my case.

5.  I have 3 friends who witnessed the incident on the beach with me flying and then becoming upset when it began to "auto-land".  They even saw the last feed of video on my screen,,, the tops of the waves at what seemed a swimmer's eye level.
2017-4-28
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

BengalBoy, can you upload your logs here so we can see all of your data? Airdata doesn't show much information.
2017-5-2
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2017-5-2 04:32
BengalBoy, can you upload your logs here so we can see all of your data? Airdata doesn't show much information.

Phantom Help I will be happy to later this evening.  At work now.  Look forward to your thoughts on the incident.
2017-5-2
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Phantom Help,  here is the link to the log of my first flight from the beach before the DJI GO 4 app crashed.  

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/PYVMMS38KAOCLHNZ67CQ/

This following log is from the reconnection of the DJI GO 4 app to my Mavic as it hovered above the ocean in the same spot it was at when the DJI GO 4 app crashed.  As you can see from the "messages" in your software, "You are in a NFZ!  Auto Landing Initiated!!"  Exactly as I surmised at the beginning of this thread and my hypothesis was based upon the changed behavior of the DJI GO 4 app after upgrading to .600 firmware.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/P2FDLVNYKD92KL8P5AWH/

2017-5-2
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Phantom Help,  here is the link to the log of my first flight from the beach before the DJI GO 4 app crashed.  

This following log is from the reconnection of the DJI GO 4 app to my Mavic as it hovered above the ocean in the same spot it was at when the DJI GO 4 app crashed.  As you can see from the "messages" in your software, "You are in a NFZ!  Auto Landing Initiated!!"  Exactly as I surmised at the beginning of this thread and my hypothesis was based upon the changed behavior of the DJI GO 4 app after upgrading to .600 firmware.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/P2FDLVNYKD92KL8P5AWH/

2017-5-2
Use props
look_alive
lvl.1

United States

I saw you mention flying at Crab Island. Just a head's up from someone that lives in this area. The entire beach, all the way to the Destin bridge, including Crab Island, is a NFZ. That's all part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore. Last year, the National Seashore adopted the official drone policies of the National Park Service, which is strictly no-fly. The Gulf Islands Seashore director says they banned all drones in the National Seashore to protect endangered nesting shorebirds. Some of our commercial drone pilots here are reporting Facebook and YoiTube videos to the park service and the FAA. Be very careful. It's strictly forbidden anywhere on the National Seashore, which stretches from Gulf Shores, Alabama all the way to the Destiny Bridge.
2017-5-2
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-5-2 09:44

Exactly as I surmised at the beginning of this thread and my hypothesis was based upon the changed behavior of the DJI GO 4 app after upgrading to .600 firmware.

I think you're right; based on the GEO map you appear to have been inside a large "authorization zone" associated with the Destin / Fort Walton Beach Airport. Also, the log shows that your home point was still over land even at the very end, so it wasn't a matter of landing at an incorrect / reset home point.

There's been a lot of back-and-forth in this thread about what's defined as an NFZ in AirMaps, B4UFLY, and someone's charts, but I don't think any of those are relevant because the Mavic doesn't know or care about anything except the zones defined by DJI.
2017-5-2
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules