Just Lost My Mavic in the Gulf of Mexico! Help DJI!!
1234Next >
9743 130 2017-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BengalBoy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

look_alive Posted at 2017-5-2 09:57
I saw you mention flying at Crab Island. Just a head's up from someone that lives in this area. The entire beach, all the way to the Destin bridge, including Crab Island, is a NFZ. That's all part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore. Last year, the National Seashore adopted the official drone policies of the National Park Service, which is strictly no-fly. The Gulf Islands Seashore director says they banned all drones in the National Seashore to protect endangered nesting shorebirds. Some of our commercial drone pilots here are reporting Facebook and YoiTube videos to the park service and the FAA. Be very careful. It's strictly forbidden anywhere on the National Seashore, which stretches from Gulf Shores, Alabama all the way to the Destiny Bridge.

Thank you for the information.  Have not flown there this year, but, i will be observant of the new rules along that shore line in the future..  Frankly, i always avoid low flight along any bird infested ateas.  
2017-5-2
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-2 10:02
Exactly as I surmised at the beginning of this thread and my hypothesis was based upon the changed behavior of the DJI GO 4 app after upgrading to .600 firmware.

I think you're right; based on the GEO map you appear to have been inside a large "authorization zone" associated with the Destin / Fort Walton Beach Airport. Also, the log shows that your home point was still over land even at the very end, so it wasn't a matter of landing at an incorrect / reset home point.

The problem with the DJI Go 4 software is that it told a pre-authorized drone to land based on a NFZ zone it previously approved flight in and/or determined was not a NFZ.  That is a fatal programming error for me and a complete loss of my brand new Mavic.  Baby Mavic was too young to die and i was completely helpless to save her from a briny grave.
2017-5-2
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-5-2 12:09
The problem with the DJI Go 4 software is that it told a pre-authorized drone to land based on a NFZ zone it previously approved flight in and/or determined was not a NFZ.  That is a fatal programming error for me and a complete loss of my brand new Mavic.  Baby Mavic was too young to die and i was completely helpless to save her from a briny grave.

I agree. It would be one thing if you had just taken off or were near the edge of the authorization zone, but when you're 10+ minutes into a flight that fully occurred well inside the zone's radius the aircraft shouldn't suddenly decide not to remain airborne. Given what we know and DJI's track record of taking responsibility I believe you stand a good chance of getting a warranty replacement.
2017-5-2
Use props
BinDC
lvl.2
United States

Keep in mind you are in Class D airspace in the bay and at Crab Island. Looks like the FAA updated the Sectional Chart to expand the MOA to almost Panama City. I guess that new FAA directive for military bases went full effect in the Fort Walton Beach area. Here is a link to the sectional:
https://skyvector.com/?ll=29.687985462347,-86.2075404828517&chart=34&zoom=
2017-5-2
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-5-2 09:44
Phantom Help,  here is the link to the log of my first flight from the beach before the DJI GO 4 app crashed.  

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/PYVMMS38KAOCLHNZ67CQ/

Thanks for uploading those. Looks like the extra info available in the .txt files confirms two things:

1. Unfortunately, it definitely looks like the NFZ system forced your Mavic down. Yours isn't the first, and I sure hope DJI is re-thinking their programming on how to handle these situations. Surely it would be safe enough to force the Mavic down to a height of 5m or something, allowing you to manually land it safely.

2. Fortunately, your Home Point was not reset after the app crash and restart.
I do hope DJI replaces your Mavic for you.
2017-5-2
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-2 13:10
I agree. It would be one thing if you had just taken off or were near the edge of the authorization zone, but when you're 10+ minutes into a flight that fully occurred well inside the zone's radius the aircraft shouldn't suddenly decide not to remain airborne. Given what we know and DJI's track record of taking responsibility I believe you stand a good chance of getting a warranty replacement.

I would find it very hard to understand any other outcome given the evidence.  I sucked up a lost Phantom 4 back when it was introduced last April.  In that case, I was filming out off the coast of Pensacola after launching from the Oriskany Aircraft Carrier wreck.  After chasing the dive boat for a couple miles my Phantom 4 just took off in the opposite direction and landed in the Gulf of Mexico.  At that time, no one could give me an explanation.  Even DJI's response was hard for me to understand, though, after some online research I was able to determine its engineers' response regarding "Smart Return Home" a new autonomous feature my Phantom 2 Vision+ did not have to be the autonomous demon of my Phantom's demise.  It was a very expensive lesson regarding a Pilot's obligation to understand all features of the drone and new software.  I accepted that it was my fault for not taking more time to learn about the capabilities and software developments from one model Phantom to the next.    However, in this situation, a firmware update only a week before changed my DJI Go 4 software and Mavic operation.  It seemed to default to a NFZ status until all systems booted and a "Ready to Fly" status allowed you to start up and fly.  It did this everytime after updating to version .600 firmware.  It did this on the beach when I started the Mavic and then changed to "Ready to Fly" which I did for 10 minutes.  When the DJI GO 4 app crashed, it literally took about a minute for the app to restart, in which case my Mavic just hovered in the spot I left it pending a reconnection.  My intent was to continue my flight with over 60% battery life left and shoot some boats, chase some bikinis on the beach, and have alittle more fun streaming to FaceBook.  When the DJI Go 4 app reconnected, that's the moment the Mavic began its "auto landing" and my love affair with the DJI Mavic Pro ended in disaster.  I'm not accepting any "pilot error" for this drowned drone.
2017-5-2
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BinDC Posted at 2017-5-2 15:42
Keep in mind you are in Class D airspace in the bay and at Crab Island. Looks like the FAA updated the Sectional Chart to expand the MOA to almost Panama City. I guess that new FAA directive for military bases went full effect in the Fort Walton Beach area. Here is a link to the sectional:
https://skyvector.com/?ll=29.687985462347,-86.2075404828517&chart=34&zoom=

Thank you for the information.  I've always known I was close to the NFZ of Destin airport when flying at Crab Island, but, I've never entered a NFZ "warning" while flying my Phantom 4 or before that my Phantom 2 Vision+.  There are ultra-lights operating from Crab Island for tourist rides and many drones can be seen flying there.   All along the Panhandle are military bases and small airports but I've never entered a "NFZ" zone that would force my drone to land or not proceed any further in the direction of that airspace.  Obviously, DJI doesn't think Crab Island is a NFZ area because it has never stopped me from launching there and I never fly in the direction of the airport.  
2017-5-2
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-5-2 21:45
Thanks for uploading those. Looks like the extra info available in the .txt files confirms two things:

1. Unfortunately, it definitely looks like the NFZ system forced your Mavic down. Yours isn't the first, and I sure hope DJI is re-thinking their programming on how to handle these situations. Surely it would be safe enough to force the Mavic down to a height of 5m or something, allowing you to manually land it safely.

Yes, the Phantom Help app gave us more information than the airdata.com app from a flight perspective.  The "NFZ" error is something I expected to see in the airdata.com flight info, but, was not present.  Its good once again to see I was not imagining the information on the screen at the time of the software crash induced suicide.  

What I hope that a lot of New Drone Pilots learn from this is that the standard "99% of all lost drones is Pilot error" is not true.  I've known this since the Vision+ firmware 3.10 fiasco which forced DJI to admit software can and does cause crashes and lost drones.  In this case, I believe that DJI has redesigned the DJI Go 4 app to connect with a "default NFZ" command that keeps the drone on the ground until the systems all boot and check out that its a authorized area to fly.   Once the DJI Go 4 app has sufficient information regarding the drone's location, it unlocks the flight controls and allows you to start the motors and fly.  That is the behavior of my Mavic from the first time I connected it after upgrading to firmware .600.  Its also significant that this firmware update came out after the Chinese airport disruption by drone pilots.  A rushed firmware update to prevent future NFZ violations without a well-thought out "what if" contingency exception to the default programming?  Hmmmmm,,, I don't know.  But my Pilot friend said it best when I hypothesized about the cause of the auto-land, "A program should never tell your aircraft to land automatically when its already in the air without giving the Pilot an over-ride for safety and saving the aircraft."   

I agree, DJI is gonna have to re-think this programming with some other type of safety measure.  I think a 10 meter NFZ buffer would be a good compromise to prevent another lost aircraft due to DJI Go 4 software crash.  Better yet, DJI should develop a DJI GO 4 app that doesn't crash during flight!!
2017-5-2
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Whether one accepts any responsibility, the old maxim applies. Those who regularly fly their drones over water (especially in areas of density, NFZ and other factors) WILL LOSE THEIR DRONE TO NEPTUNE.

I have been saying this for three years and some people like to refute it. Go ahead - get another one and fly it out of over the water most of the time. You'll probably lose it to the water again.

These are hobby toys. My information comes from a top DJI Employee who, together with his friend and cohorts, have flown - and lost - dozens of multirotors to the deep. When you DON'T lose one, you are lucky.

I fly over water - where it is safe and to "get the shot" and then I come back to land. That gives me a bit of a higher percentage situation - so I've never lost one to the deep.
If you've read the 107 stuff or other pilot manuals, you know that safety is ALWAYS a matter of more than the aircraft. In your case.
1. You were flying over a body of water for a long while
2. You knew the device you were using had crashed
3. The unit was fairly new so you were not 100% familiar with it.
4. You were engaged in "watch this" live streaming (this stuff is addressed in pilot manuals)
5. You did not correctly study ALL the charts for the area - which DO matter for a number of reasons (including DJI updating them).

I could go on - but drones are generally not warranted against crashes. DJI may do something for you - but, as I mentioned, it's only a matter of when the next time occurs.
Take some time and read this: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-me ... hazardous-attitudes
Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 8.18.50 PM.png
2017-5-4
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2017-5-4 16:17
Whether one accepts any responsibility, the old maxim applies. Those who regularly fly their drones over water (especially in areas of density, NFZ and other factors) WILL LOSE THEIR DRONE TO NEPTUNE.

I have been saying this for three years and some people like to refute it. Go ahead - get another one and fly it out of over the water most of the time. You'll probably lose it to the water again.

The problem with your lecture is that it does not address the real issue of software crash & autonomous flight, in this case "auto-land."  While I accept responsibility for Pilot error, acts of God such as Bird strikes, sudden squalls, etc., I do not accept responsibility for software errors and poor programming.  A line of sight distance of 1700 feet at an altitude of 70 feet is certainly within the Mavic's range and the flight record backs up the fact that transmission between the Mavic & RC was good at the time of DJI GO 4 crash.  NFZ issues cannot be NFZ issues if the very software that "auto lands" your drone for being in a NFZ area is the same software that previously cleared you to take off and fly in that area with no other warnings of NFZ prior to DJI GO 4 app crash.

You seem to have failed to review the flight records or watched the video.  You only seem to think that people who fly over water should bend over and take it when the drone is lost despite whether hardware or software failure may have caused the loss within a warranty period.
2017-5-4
Use props
fans14f1eb67
New

United States

I'm sorry to hear what happened to your mavic. If it turns out that you cannot find it after a reasonable amount of time can I buy your controller? My controller has failed and I need one. Doug 407-791-1543
2017-5-4
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans14f1eb67 Posted at 2017-5-4 19:25
I'm sorry to hear what happened to your mavic. If it turns out that you cannot find it after a reasonable amount of time can I buy your controller? My controller has failed and I need one. Doug 407-791-1543

I'm hopeful to have it replaced under warranty.  So, I'm gonna hold on to the remote for the time being.  Thanks for the offer though!
2017-5-4
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-5-4 16:55
The problem with your lecture is that it does not address the real issue of software crash & autonomous flight, in this case "auto-land."  While I accept responsibility for Pilot error, acts of God such as Bird strikes, sudden squalls, etc., I do not accept responsibility for software errors and poor programming.  A line of sight distance of 1700 feet at an altitude of 70 feet is certainly within the Mavic's range and the flight record backs up the fact that transmission between the Mavic & RC was good at the time of DJI GO 4 crash.  NFZ issues cannot be NFZ issues if the very software that "auto lands" your drone for being in a NFZ area is the same software that previously cleared you to take off and fly in that area with no other warnings of NFZ prior to DJI GO 4 app crash.

You seem to have failed to review the flight records or watched the video.  You only seem to think that people who fly over water should bend over and take it when the drone is lost despite whether hardware or software failure may have caused the loss within a warranty period.

Bringing the machine back to DJI for inspection is one of the major problems with water landings. This is why almost NO warranty or insurance will ever cover things you don't have.

Try buying a phone and extended warranty and then saying it got hot in your hand and fell out and went down the sewer drain.

My "lecture" will hopefully save many people the grief you are going through and maybe prompt otherst to become real pilots. If you read the link I provided about Pilot attitudes, you'll realize you wrote the book on it on that flight.

As humans nothing is ever our fault. Showing off, looking for bikinis, operating equipment that already proved to have problems with the device involved, the feeling of "nothing can really go wrong because - after all, this 5 million dollar machine is perfect"....

Many a pilot has had those thoughts right before the end (of themselves or their r/c unit.

I've lost at least 10 quads myself. Every loss was my fault. I must just be unlucky.
2017-5-7
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2017-5-7 16:23
Bringing the machine back to DJI for inspection is one of the major problems with water landings. This is why almost NO warranty or insurance will ever cover things you don't have.

Try buying a phone and extended warranty and then saying it got hot in your hand and fell out and went down the sewer drain.

Again, you rant,, you rave,, you talk about nothing relevant to the issue of why did my Mavic Pro land in the ocean?  You talk about "water landings" as if that were my intention to do?  There is only one thing that is important in my case.  

1.  Did my Mavic Pro land in the ocean due to Pilot error or due to a defect in hardware or software that is covered by warranty?

Your arguments are really based on one premise, "Pilots who fly over water should not be compensated for the loss of a drone even if it is a defect of the craft or operating system flying it."  That is illogical.

DJI sells a drone it knows people fly over the water, at the beach and with features such as "FaceBook Streaming" to make the craft fun to fly and exciting to own.  To that end, it warrants to deliver a device that's capable of doing what its features and advertised technology promise for a year after purchase.  I've flown DJI drones in extreme environments and in very remote ocean areas for years without this type of software crash causing a "auto-land".  In fact, I've flown DJI drones in the very area I was operating the Mavic for years before this incident.  I'm using it for its intended purpose and in a location that the DJI GO 4 software authorized me to fly.  I'm using the most powerful Android device currently available with far more processor power and RAM than necessary to operate the DJI created "Facebook Streaming" and operate the DJI Go 4 software.

If you had taken the time to watch my video, (you would see chasing bikinis is a joke) read my flight records, (you would see I'm flying with no NFZ warnings for 10 minutes before my Mavic PRO auto lands itself in the ocean after reconnection with the DJI GO 4 app) and understand that the Mavic PRO auto-landed itself due to its own software telling it to do so, (Phantom Help flight records confirm this) I think you would be someone who would either move along, or, agree that it was not Pilot error that told the Mavic to drown itself in the ocean.  

You seem to be a DJI dealer or something, more drone sales for you I suppose is good,,, but,, telling people its not cool to fly over the ocean or large bodies of water is really not helping them be better pilots,, its limiting their creativity and chilling their willingness to try.  Its certainly not "Pilot Error" to do so.
2017-5-7
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-26 23:05
Thank you. I have added your link to the case.
Our support team will follow up the case with you.

Mindy,

Its been a couple days since I emailed Evan back accepting DJI's offer or resolution and I'm still waiting for a response and the "code" for ordering my replacement Mavic.  He wanted me to contact him directly, which, I did reply to his email, though, it seems to be just a general DJI support address.  Could you please check on the matter as well as find out what went wrong and how I should avoid a similar issue with the replacement Mavic?
2017-5-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-5-10 06:53
Mindy,

Its been a couple days since I emailed Evan back accepting DJI's offer or resolution and I'm still waiting for a response and the "code" for ordering my replacement Mavic.  He wanted me to contact him directly, which, I did reply to his email, though, it seems to be just a general DJI support address.  Could you please check on the matter as well as find out what went wrong and how I should avoid a similar issue with the replacement Mavic?

Its been a couple days since I emailed Evan back accepting DJI's offer or resolution

What is / was their offer?
2017-5-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-5-10 06:53
Mindy,

I see your offer acceptance in the reply email. I'll have Evan contact you.
2017-5-10
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-10 07:57
I see your offer acceptance in the reply email. I'll have Evan contact you.

Thank you DJI-Ken!
2017-5-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Can you share the details of the offer or is it a secret? Many of us read your story and tried to help figure out what happened and I'm sure I'm not the only one curious about the outcome of your case.
2017-5-10
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-10 06:55
Its been a couple days since I emailed Evan back accepting DJI's offer or resolution

What is / was their offer?

Droneflying, it was determined to be a warranty claim.  DJI is offering me 100% replacement with a new Mavic Pro.  I would like to say that after making my claim on April 22nd of malfunction and/or software failure the following occured.  

1.  DJI immediately began to research the issue.

2.  DJI opened a case number for me per DJI Mindy's help within a week of loss.

3.  DJI undertook to analyze my devices's flight records after synch failed approximately 10 days later.

3.  DJI accepted responsibility and covered my Mavic Pro on May 8, exactly 17 days after loss.

I've had 3 warranty claims with DJI over the past 3 years.  

a.  After a rogue firmware update caused my Phantom 2 Vision+ to crash DJI repaired it and returned within 45 days. (not entirely a good experience from the standpoint of repair time and turnaround, but, DJI, did not argue or dispute the issue)

b.  My first Phantom 4 that took off and drowned itself in the Gulf of Mexico after "Smart Return Home" kicked in about 2 miles from my launch site.  My error, a complete change in flight characteristics from my Phantom 2, and a very expensive lesson in learning about the new technologies, hardware and software innovation taking place in DJI drones.  DJI still gave me a 10% discount on replacement Phantom 4 as a goodwill gesture.

c.  This claim for warranty on my Mavic Pro.  Replacement and no arguments.

Bottom line, if your flight records support the claim *and DJI's flight record tech is a double edge sword, if you lie, if you are actually responsible for the crash, if it is a act of God or other enviromental factor not related to the drone, DJI will know* DJI will stand by their warranty.

I read alot of bitching and I've been guilty of it myself on occassion, but, in my 3 cases I've found DJI warranty and repair service to be Just & Fair in honoring the warranty.  Just be sure your flight records can back up your claims of defect.
2017-5-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-10 08:26
Can you share the details of the offer or is it a secret? Many of us read your story and tried to help figure out what happened and I'm sure I'm not the only one curious about the outcome of your case.

Above post states it.
2017-5-10
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-10 08:26

Thank you for your help, suggestions and interest DroneFlying.  I've responded to your inquiry with alittle synopsis of my experience making warranty claims with DJI.
2017-5-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-5-10 08:40
Droneflying, it was determined to be a warranty claim.  DJI is offering me 100% replacement with new Mavic Pro.  I would like to say that after making my claim on April 22nd of malfunction and/or software failure the following occured.  

DJI is totally fair, glad your case is sorted out.
2017-5-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Droneflying, it was determined to be a warranty claim.  DJI is offering me 100% replacement with new Mavic Pro.  I would like to say that after making my claim on April 22nd of malfunction and/or software failure the following occured.  

That's great BengalBoy, it's refreshing to hear someone who can relay there ups and downs with dji in an honest manner, and thanks for letting those concerned that dji will cough up if claims are genuine. I'm happy your getting full warranty as you rightly deserve, hope you get your Mavic back soon.
Good luck...
2017-5-10
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-10 08:44
DJI is totally fair, glad your case is sorted out.

DJI-Ken,  I have always found it to be so.  I was excited to see the new tech of flight records being kept that a Pilot can see for themselves what happened with their flight.  It is a huge improvement from the early Phantom 1 & 2 days of fly aways and who is responsible.  I hope my loss will result in an improvment to the Mavic's software and/or future firmware upgrades.

I've stalked the forums and I've watched you and the other moderators perform thankless hours of attention to the people who come here as representatives of DJI.  I want to thank you and Mindy and tell you that all of you do an excellent job as customer reps!  DJI could never properly reward you all for the great job you do dealing with a frustrated public for the most part!
2017-5-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Thanks for the detailed update. I'm glad for you personally and for everyone else -- including myself -- who might find one day themselves in a similar situation. As Ken said, I've never known DJI to be anything but fair and try to do the right thing based on the available evidence, and I'm glad I'll be able to continue to tell people that when something bad happens.
2017-5-10
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-10 08:51
That's great BengalBoy, it's refreshing to hear someone who can relay there ups and downs with dji in an honest manner, and thanks for letting those concerned that dji will cough up if claims are genuine. I'm happy your getting full warranty as you rightly deserve, hope you get your Mavic back soon.
Good luck...

Thank you hallmark!  These forums are for us to help each other and to have some direct connection to DJI beyond emails & phone calls.  It is not a perfect situation, but, DJI's new tech in storing flight information, enviroment conditions, and hardware status makes it much easier in my mind to make a warranty claim.  It cuts both ways though, so, if you do make a mistake and crash your later model DJI drone,,,, DJI will know!!  

I hope my experience will be used to help other Pilots and also give hope to those who lose their drones that if the flight records support it as a defect,, DJI will stand by its warranty.
2017-5-10
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-10 08:54
Thanks for the detailed update. I'm glad for you personally and for everyone else -- including myself -- who might find one day themselves in a similar situation. As Ken said, I've never known DJI to be anything but fair and try to do the right thing based on the available evidence, and I'm glad I'll be able to continue to tell people that when something bad happens.

Thank you Droneflying!  Yes,, I'm a lover of all things cameras and gadgets,, I was involved in alot of the early development of wireless technologies and the incorporation of this tech into DJI's drones was an amazing thing to me.  The further innovation by this company and its systems for determining flight behavior is a marvel.  I would say my experiences over a period of years would give anyone some degree of confidence that if their loss is due to hardware or software failure DJI will do right!  However, it does take time to resolve and the flight records are cold heartless facts of flight.  In my case, I had a video of the location of death and a suicide letter written prior to all vital signs flatlining.. (ain't technology cool!)
2017-5-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-5-10 08:51
DJI-Ken,  I have always found it to be so.  I was excited to see the new tech of flight records being kept that a Pilot can see for themselves what happened with their flight.  It is a huge improvement from the early Phantom 1 & 2 days of fly aways and who is responsible.  I hope my loss will result in an improvment to the Mavic's software and/or future firmware upgrades.

I've stalked the forums and I've watched you and the other moderators perform thankless hours of attention to the people who come here as representatives of DJI.  I want to thank you and Mindy and tell you that all of you do an excellent job as customer reps!  DJI could never properly reward you all for the great job you do dealing with a frustrated public for the most part!

Thanks for the kinds words, we all really appreciate that.
2017-5-10
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Congrats!  I was hoping they would take care of you and they did.
2017-5-10
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-10 11:13
Congrats!  I was hoping they would take care of you and they did.

Thank you Xman1!  I'm grateful DJI did as well!
2017-5-10
Use props
fansbde3d07d
New
Flight distance : 79 ft
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-5-10 17:54
Thank you Xman1!  I'm grateful DJI did as well!

Is DJI sending you just the Mavic drone or a drone and new controller together?
2017-5-10
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansbde3d07d Posted at 2017-5-10 23:18
Is DJI sending you just the Mavic drone or a drone and new controller together?

I am just getting a new replacement Mavic,, I already have a new RC.  Sorry, I know you can buy a new RC for $300 from DJI or eBay sellers.  I've only seen a replacement RC on eBay once and it was $250.  I don't think you are going to get some dramatic deal on a replacement RC until some time passes and a new model comes out with a different RC.  Good Luck!
2017-5-11
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Final update on my warranty claim process with DJI.  I received my new Mavic Pro on May 26 and it was apparently manufactered on May 11.  It immediately required upgrade to firmware .700.  I have now flown it 6 times using a SamSung Galaxy S8 and had DJI GO 4 app crashes each flight at least once and sometimes multiple.  The DJI GO 4 app continues to give a "NFZ" warning on initial start up with a new battery as the app boots up, however, it does not repeat the same startup behavior on app crash and restart.  After receiving my replacement Mavic I flew it high and near me to test this issue and I wasn't disappointed.  About half way through the first battery the DJI Go 4 app crashed.  Using RTH I brought the Mavic back to me and canceled RTH.  With the Mavic above me I restarted the DJI GO 4 app and watched the boot up of "Checking Firmware Version" and then the "configure fixed wing mode" screen.  Finally, opening the camera app reveals instant video fee and complete control.  I tested it multiple times over the next 3 flights with the same results.  Whatever caused my original Mavic Pro to "auto land" because it thought it was in a "NFZ" zone has apparently been debugged in DJI Go 4 or firmware update.  What I've learned from this experience.  

1.  DJI drones are not magic cameras in the sky, rather, complex flying mobile devices with sophisticated features that require processing power and sufficient RAM memory to effectively operate.  As flying computers, they are subject to the same issues of mobile device operating system crashes and software bugs.

2.  Not every crash is Pilot error.  

3.  New DJI technology really impresses with the black box of a .txt file on your mobile device capturing details about each flight that will evidence Pilot Error or Aircraft malfunction.  It is a remarkable solution to the days of the Phantom 1 and 2 "fly away" arguments.

4.  DJI will own its errors and product failures.  If its flight record supports the Pilot's assertion that it crashed due to hardware or software failure, DJI on two seperate occassions has repaired or replaced my drone.

5.  Warranty work is time consuming and longer than it has to be, but, after losing my original Mavic on April 22nd, I received my brand new replacement on May 26.   Thirty four days (34) after complete loss, I had my new Mavic of a very late build date in my hands.  Had I not had to wait 15 of those days for it to ship, I would say DJI had an excellent turn-around time for report/investigation/replacment.  Having to wait over 2 weeks for it to be shipped after being told it would be replaced seems alittle long, but, maybe it was DJI's way of making sure I got a replacement with the latest hardware and quality control build?  I would like to think so.  Even so, just over a month is still very reasonable in my mind for a complete loss like mine.

6.  The Mavic PRO is a remarkable drone and I am so excited to have it back!  I only wish I had the confidence in it that I do my Phantom 4 or Phantom 2 Vision+ when flying.  I was used to losing video feed and app crash on the old Vision+ app until it was upgraded to a very stable firmware version.  I would think this far along in its development the Mavic PRO would be as reliable.  

If anyone has transferred a DJI care policy to a warranty replacement drone I would sure appreciate any help in doing so with my new one.  Otherwise, my saga of the "auto landing" Mavic has come to a end.  All in all I've lost 35 days of use on a 1 year warranty, a 64gb memory card, DJI ND16 filter and Decal Girl wrap.  About $80 of extras that sank in the Gulf of Mexico along with my poor Mavic.  Those are the loses and money I'm gladly willing to accept when being on the bleeding edge of technology.  The joy I get from using this little guy and my DJI drones is well worth the headaches and growing pains of this tech.  My first photo taken with my replacement Mavic PRO and a shot of her all dressed up in her new Decal Girl wrap...  Thank you DJI Moderators for your help and assistance in resolving this warranty claim.  I hope my experience makes other's feel confident that their drone's warranty will be honored if the flight data backs up the claim.

Lake Tuscaloosa

Lake Tuscaloosa
18622500_10213384787677536_3066751786327628957_n.jpg
2017-5-28
Use props
Julia Baker
lvl.1

Philippines

Glad to hear the update of your drone! Try considering an external GPS tracker to safely track it even if the drone is disconnected.
2017-5-28
Use props
stivan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1965 ft
Panama

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I have spent 1.5 hours reading thourgh all comments, suggestions, theories and im very happy for you. Thanks DJI for such a great customer support.

Note: after you received your new mavic you tested it and made sure (or at least tried to make sure) it doesnt happen again. Question is:if you continue to receive error messages and (who knows) were the reason the first mavic failed, why the heck dont you just buy a second hand (or a brand new (i think you can afford one)) iOS device?? Like others pointed it, it seems DJI software is optimized for iOS devices. An ipad mini works great with the drone.

Just my 2 cents.
2017-5-28
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Julia Baker Posted at 2017-5-28 21:03
Glad to hear the update of your drone! Try considering an external GPS tracker to safely track it even if the drone is disconnected.

Tracking it was not a problem.  Retrieving it from the bottom of the ocean was.
2017-5-28
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

stivan Posted at 2017-5-28 21:25
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I have spent 1.5 hours reading thourgh all comments, suggestions, theories and im very happy for you. Thanks DJI for such a great customer support.

Note: after you received your new mavic you tested it and made sure (or at least tried to make sure) it doesnt happen again. Question is:if you continue to receive error messages and (who knows) were the reason the first mavic failed, why the heck dont you just buy a second hand (or a brand new (i think you can afford one)) iOS device?? Like others pointed it, it seems DJI software is optimized for iOS devices. An ipad mini works great with the drone.

Because I despise Apple and I have the best mobile screen and hardware money can buy.  But, your point is taken and an excellent one.  What bothers me most is why a 3rd party app like Litchi apparently works well with almost every Android device out there but DJI can't seem to optimize its flight app for Android devices?   I shouldn't have to look to a Apple product just to fly my Mavic when I'm using the most popular and powerful Android device currently available.
2017-5-28
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-26 23:05
Thank you. I have added your link to the case.
Our support team will follow up the case with you.

DJI Mindy, how do I transfer my new Mavic Pro serial number to my DJI Care Refresh policy?  I can't seem to find a link to do this in the DJI Care Refresh information on the website?  Thanking you in advance for your help.
2017-6-1
Use props
Julia Baker
lvl.1

Philippines

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-5-28 22:33
Tracking it was not a problem.  Retrieving it from the bottom of the ocean was.

Ohhh shucks should have read your post thoroughly before throwing in my "next time put a gps tracker " comment sorry bout that my bad
2017-6-1
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules