Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Fall out of Sky! Newbie fears.....
1864 37 2017-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fishbisquit
United States

Hello,
I am looking for some advice on how to get over some newbie flying fears. Basically as soon as I get my mavic up around 75' I start to get really nervous. If I look between my ipad monitor and the mavic in the sky I also get  a bit of vertigo. My stomach flips a little and I get slightly disorientaed. I also get nervous if it gets around 200' away from me. I have this really stupid fear it's just going to fall out of the sky. I've only been out flying about dozen times and I know the more I fly the more confidence I'll get. But it seems to be taking a while. I'm affraid of losing signal or I am going to hit some button and it's going to start flying crazy. I know this is stupid and i know the technology in the mavic is really incredible. But I still can't shake this fear of it falling out of the sky. I am going on a roadtrip in 3 weeks to the Florida keys and my goal is to get some great footage at a height of at least 200-300'.
Any tips on gaining confidence?

Cheers,
Dave

2017-4-22
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I have this really stupid fear it's just going to fall out of the sky.

There's nothing stupid about that. I've been flying mine a while and that possibility is still something that I'm conscious of and concerned about.

I've only been out flying about dozen times and I know the more I fly the more confidence I'll get. But it seems to be taking a while.

I'd be a lot more concerned about you if you weren't still nervous after only a dozen flights. The fact that you're nervous tells me that you're aware of the hazards and will make a conscious effort to avoid them: that's a good thing.

I'm affraid of losing signal or I am going to hit some button and it's going to start flying crazy. I know this is stupid

Again, not stupid at all. As you obviously know, those things have happened. The people who experience them are clearly in the minority, but it definitely happens. Somebody will "draw the short straw" and it might be you . . . or me.

I am going on a roadtrip in 3 weeks to the Florida keys and my goal is to get some great footage at a height of at least 200-300'. Any tips on gaining confidence?

Practice a lot and gradually increase the distance / risk you take. Many of the horror stories you'll see are from people who took too many risks and / or took them too soon before they really became familiar with what the aircraft can and can't do. Be patient and slowly build up your expertise and confidence over time; it'll happen.
2017-4-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

That's a healthy response!

Your fear and hopefully your vertigo will lessen with more practice and experience with the Mavic. Fly as much as you can, and read as much as you can -- the forum here is a gold mine of tips and techniques for handling and/or avoiding problems. Above all, have fun!

2017-4-22
Use props
Tekameleon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1308291 ft
Canada

Best way to gain confidence is just flying more. ;)
You are absolutely correct, the Mavic has a bunch of pretty great tech built-in and it'll stay flying unless you do something really stupid.

Happy flying my friend! Congrats on the new Mavic!
2017-4-22
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

It sounds like you are being wise and pushing the limits where you feel comfortable slowly. That's wise.  If you feel nervous, that's reasonable. Just get some more experience before you move on.
2017-4-22
Use props
Fishbisquit
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-4-22 12:52
It sounds like you are being wise and pushing the limits where you feel comfortable slowly. That's wise.  If you feel nervous, that's reasonable. Just get some more experience before you move on.

Thanks everyone for the response so far. I have been practicing a lot under 50' in clear fields. I am totally confident in the mavic's controls and handling. I also feel I am getting much better at the controls. My main issue is height. For some reason, as soon as I get it above 100' I really start freaking out. I am going slowly and trying to be careful and be a responsible pilot. But I feel like I really need to start pushing myself to fly higher (for better shots) but I just think as soon as I get it higher up, it's goign to drop out of the sky. The funny thing is, I never think this once under 50' and I know that higher up is actually a safer place to fly as the chance of hitting anything is almost zero. So I know this is pretty much a mental hurdle I need to find a way to overcome.

Dave
2017-4-22
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Fishbisquit Posted at 2017-4-22 14:53
Thanks everyone for the response so far. I have been practicing a lot under 50' in clear fields. I am totally confident in the mavic's controls and handling. I also feel I am getting much better at the controls. My main issue is height. For some reason, as soon as I get it above 100' I really start freaking out. I am going slowly and trying to be careful and be a responsible pilot. But I feel like I really need to start pushing myself to fly higher (for better shots) but I just think as soon as I get it higher up, it's goign to drop out of the sky. The funny thing is, I never think this once under 50' and I know that higher up is actually a safer place to fly as the chance of hitting anything is almost zero. So I know this is pretty much a mental hurdle I need to find a way to overcome.

Dave

I have been practicing a lot under 50' . . . But I feel like I really need to start pushing myself to fly higher

Yes, you definitely should do that now if you intend to go that high on your trip. Be sure to also experiment with videos and / or photos beforehand too, which is something you can do just as well -- better, in fact -- at low altitudes.

I understand your concern about flying high but the irony is that in general you're much more likely to have a problem at 50 feet than you are at 200 because there are a lot more things you can hit at the lower altitude -- and that is what causes most crashes.
2017-4-22
Use props
TakeFlite
First Officer
Flight distance : 780233 ft
Australia

It's fine to be nervous flying it, I was first few flights and still am sometimes..

The more you fly it the more confident you will get with the mavic and start to try new things. The way I got into the feel of the mavic and all it's different options and controls was reading and watching YT vids on it for weeks on end whilst I waited for it to come tried to learn as much as possible. Just do a little research on what your concerned about and you should be fine!

Good luck, would love to see some shots that you get.
2017-4-22
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

It is exactly the same when you drive a car. The more you drive, the more confidence you get.
I can remember that every time I took a ramp to merge to a freeway, my heart was beating really fast.
I also remember people used to say you don't need practice to fly this drone, but I totally disagree to it.
2017-4-22
Use props
Fishbisquit
United States

laceyboy Posted at 2017-4-22 16:03
It is exactly the same when you drive a car. The more you drive, the more confidence you get.
I can remember that every time I took a ramp to merge to a freeway, my heart was beating really fast.
I also remember people used to say you don't need practice to fly this drone, but I totally disagree to it.

Hey Guys, I have been searching for a loss of signal protocol online and can't find any solid info. I really am trying to get over this fear and know the vast majority of owners never have any problems. However I do want o be prepared and I do not know what to do if I were to lose signal or control of the mavic. So what are the actions to take if....

Complete LOS?

Lose satalites and switches to ATTi mode?

Lose control of mavic?

Any other kind of emergency situation?

Thanks!
2017-4-23
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Fishbisquit Posted at 2017-4-23 06:50
Hey Guys, I have been searching for a loss of signal protocol online and can't find any solid info. I really am trying to get over this fear and know the vast majority of owners never have any problems. However I do want o be prepared and I do not know what to do if I were to lose signal or control of the mavic. So what are the actions to take if....

Complete LOS?

Complete LOS? I think you mean VLOS vision line of sight. Or you might mean you have lost sight of your AC.in this case there are a few things you can do, press RTH , you can also use your map it will have a little red triangle this is your AC your homepoint will also be on the map just point at home point and fly it home all other telemetry will be on your screen.
Lost sat gps, as long as your AC is in VLOS you will see it drift on the wind it will hold its height you will need to get your bearing and fly the AC towards or find a safe place and land.

Loose control of Mavic. That is an answer rather than a question, if this happens you can only do your best to try to insure safety of civilians where you can.
2017-4-23
Use props
inlovearoundthe
New
Flight distance : 5171 ft
United Kingdom

I'm in the same boat as you! It is my first drone and I've spent so long reading about what could go wrong and also watching videos of crashes to understand some of the mistakes so I can avoid them myself.

I've slowly starting flying higher and went over water for the first time yesterday! Got some footage that I am pleased with but spent a fair bit of time at 10m just practicing with the features and understanding the drone's response.

I'm taking it to its first trip next weekend, very excited but oh so nervous! Good luck with your drone and happy flying
2017-4-23
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-23 07:15
Complete LOS? I think you mean VLOS vision line of sight. Or you might mean you have lost sight of your AC.in this case there are a few things you can do, press RTH , you can also use your map it will have a little red triangle this is your AC your homepoint will also be on the map just point at home point and fly it home all other telemetry will be on your screen.
Lost sat gps, as long as your AC is in VLOS you will see it drift on the wind it will hold its height you will need to get your bearing and fly the AC towards or find a safe place and land.

LOS = Loss of Signal or Line of Sight. Given the context, I believe he's talking about losing the connection between the aircraft and controller.
2017-4-23
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-23 09:07
LOS = Loss of Signal or Line of Sight. Given the context, I believe he's talking about losing the connection between the aircraft and controller.

Ok never heard that one,
2017-4-23
Use props
Levurmion
lvl.1
Flight distance : 182710 ft
Indonesia

Chill m8.

I crashed my Inspire 1 during my second flight back in 2015 when it just got released the year before. I forgot to set the RTH altitude above the rather tall 50m+ buildings around me at that time. It lost signal as I flew it between a couple trees right beside a building. It went straight home and smashed onto the building's 15th floor, ending up on a lobby canopy. It was in the transformed position so the gimbal went head first and broke the 3"+ glass covering the canopy along with both legs of my Inspire. I had to pay $500 for the glass I broke and an additional $1000 for the Inspire which I haven't flown again until this date.

Yes, it was traumatic. Very traumatic in fact that I haven't dared to fly any drone for 3 straight years. It took me 6 months to consider to buy the Mavic or not. Being a smaller drone with OA, it was less intimidating than my Inspire 1. My thumbs shook like hell during my first flight with the Mavic. I could barely make it fly straight. But, eventually, I recovered, quite quickly. I tried all the intelligent flight modes and OA and they all worked flawlessly. After going through my first 2 batteries with the Mavic, I started returning to my senses, knowing that this is finally a drone I could trust. However, my Inspire is still waiting there, in its case, waiting for me to get it back into the sky, to be set free once more.

So yeah, fear is a good thing. My mistake was to trust a drone too much in 2015. Fear helps us avoid incidents like what fell upon my Inspire. Fear keeps us safe. Fear is who we are as humans. But most importantly, when fear fails, learning kicks in. And the price tag for me unfortunately was $1500. But fear has made me a more cautious pilot. Fear helps you improve. Fear is a supplement to learning.
2017-4-23
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Captain
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

I think the one of the problems with reading this forum too much is that it basically appears that 80% of all the Mavics made fail within 20 minutes of being turned on.

Realistically, forums like this mostly end up being "Level 1 Support" for many people.  The people having no problems are out flying, the really good photographers post awesome videos, and almost everyone else are just mad because, through their fault or not, they've had a problem.  And here's the kicker.  There aren't really that many complaints.  There were a lot more people at the end of 2016 complaining that they hadn't received their drone then there are in 2017 complaining how they fall out of the sky.

Yes, it happens.  And people crash cars.  And girls say no when you ask them out.  Stuff like that.

Go out and live your life, fly your drone, eat ice cream.  All that stuff.  Remember that they only way to avoid failure is not to try.  Of course, that's a sure fire receive for never being successful too.

I think you're being smart to be cautious.  Just don't be afraid.  Start out slow and work into it.  Fly the same route over and over to the point that you are so used to it that you literally become bored with it.  At some future date, you'll be like the rest of us, complaining that 400 feet just isn't high enough.  If you don't feel you're ready by your vacation in three weeks, then just don't.  No worries, there will be other vacations.
2017-4-23
Use props
PizzaFiend
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1489593 ft
United States

You've gotten a lot of great advice here. One other thing that helped me shed the fear of losing or crashing my Mavic (which I bought a week before taking it on vacation) was to get it insured. I was able to get a Personal Appliance Policy from State Farm for $60/yr, even though I don't have any other policies with them.

I found the agent from this thread.

Have fun!
2017-4-23
Use props
nay
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

The more you fly the better you will feel about it.   Try flying in wide open areas.  
2017-4-23
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

A couple of beers and a friend yapping in your ear helps while diving up and down
2017-4-23
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

PizzaFiend Posted at 2017-4-23 16:30
You've gotten a lot of great advice here. One other thing that helped me shed the fear of losing or crashing my Mavic (which I bought a week before taking it on vacation) was to get it insured. I was able to get a Personal Appliance Policy from State Farm for $60/yr, even though I don't have any other policies with them.

I found the agent from this thread.

PAP = Personal Articles Policy.  $30 in Nebraska, by the way.

Also consider liability insurance.
2017-4-23
Use props
PizzaFiend
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1489593 ft
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-4-23 19:25
PAP = Personal Articles Policy.  $30 in Nebraska, by the way.

Also consider liability insurance.

Yes! Article, not Appliance (what the..?).

Thanks!
2017-4-23
Use props
Fishbisquit
United States

Thanks everyone, I went flying yesterday and got it up to 200'. My heart was pounding so hard I was only able to manage one 360 degree pan and then brought it down. One thing that helped was that I drove a little further out towards some farm land so I had a wide open area to fly. I always fly in wide open parks or soccer fields but having a really large area open helped me relax a little. I practice a lot under 50' trying out the flight modes and just basic maneuvering and am feeling fairly confident in flying the mavic. The big thing for me still is that I have a hard time trusting the signal strength when it gets high or far away. I can't beleive that this little device in my hand has full control of the mavic when it gets further away. I  just have this annoying fear that the signal will just disappear and the mavic will drop.
2017-4-24
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Fishbisquit Posted at 2017-4-24 04:20
Thanks everyone, I went flying yesterday and got it up to 200'. My heart was pounding so hard I was only able to manage one 360 degree pan and then brought it down. One thing that helped was that I drove a little further out towards some farm land so I had a wide open area to fly. I always fly in wide open parks or soccer fields but having a really large area open helped me relax a little. I practice a lot under 50' trying out the flight modes and just basic maneuvering and am feeling fairly confident in flying the mavic. The big thing for me still is that I have a hard time trusting the signal strength when it gets high or far away. I can't beleive that this little device in my hand has full control of the mavic when it gets further away. I  just have this annoying fear that the signal will just disappear and the mavic will drop.

Good job; I'm glad to hear that things are progressing. And I agree with PizzaFiend and ANON-Gary about getting a policy from State Farm: not to sound like a commercial, but for a little money you can get a lot of peace of mind.
2017-4-24
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Fishbisquit Posted at 2017-4-24 04:20

Fishbisquit , good for you your on the right path --- just a little advice to you about Fear
Don't Fear it Respect it --- If you check all your settings B4 every flight especially what your Mavic should do if you experience signal loss settings  ex. RTH , Hover or Land -- I think you'll be Ok also wait B4 you take off for GPS lock and Home point to be recorded every time
FlySafe- Fly Free  
2017-4-24
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-23 09:07

Ironically  (or not),  greater height typically equals better signal quality.
2017-4-24
Use props
Fishbisquit
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-4-24 06:04
Ironically  (or not),  greater height typically equals better signal quality.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Today I am planning on watching a bunch more tutorials and researching the remote and signal / satellite info so I better understand it. I watched the DJI tutorial about how to hold the remote and position the attenas in relation to the aircraft. I beleive the video is a few years old and made for the phantom. I've seen it posted here on the forums a few times. I'm assuming the info is basically the same for the Mavic? One thing the video got me worried about is if I move around or turn my remote briefly away from the aircraft is there a chance of losing signal? Sometimes I will turn my back to the aircraft to be able to shade my monitor from the sun and see it better. Is that something I should not do?
2017-4-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
United States

Agree with Skunkwerx.  Respect the fear, learn what you fear and do it some more.  By the way, if you're worried about the higher fall doing more damage, it won't matter much anyway.  The gimbal will be toast if it falls from 50 feet too.  Do look into the insurance.  You'll feel so much better knowing that if the worst happens, a replacement is a phone call and order away.  My fear is water.  I still don't even take my Phantom out over water.  The non-recoverability just eats at my gut.                  F L Y   M O R E    A N D   F E E L   B E T T E R ! ! !
2017-4-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
United States

Yes, higher is better signal, unless it is directly overhead.  Take it out to a distance and get some altitude.  Always keep the controller antennas flat side facing the drone for maximum signal.
2017-4-24
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Fishbisquit Posted at 2017-4-24 06:47
Interesting, I didn't know that. Today I am planning on watching a bunch more tutorials and researching the remote and signal / satellite info so I better understand it. I watched the DJI tutorial about how to hold the remote and position the attenas in relation to the aircraft. I beleive the video is a few years old and made for the phantom. I've seen it posted here on the forums a few times. I'm assuming the info is basically the same for the Mavic? One thing the video got me worried about is if I move around or turn my remote briefly away from the aircraft is there a chance of losing signal? Sometimes I will turn my back to the aircraft to be able to shade my monitor from the sun and see it better. Is that something I should not do?

Glad you mentioned antenna position.  Be sure to take note.  I've received signal errors flying a few hundred feet directly overhead.  Then I realized the antennae were pointed directly at the aircraft at that point. :-)
2017-4-24
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-4-24 06:56
Agree with Skunkwerx.  Respect the fear, learn what you fear and do it some more.  By the way, if you're worried about the higher fall doing more damage, it won't matter much anyway.  The gimbal will be toast if it falls from 50 feet too.  Do look into the insurance.  You'll feel so much better knowing that if the worst happens, a replacement is a phone call and order away.  My fear is water.  I still don't even take my Phantom out over water.  The non-recoverability just eats at my gut.                  F L Y   M O R E    A N D   F E E L   B E T T E R ! ! !

AGON, I agree with you 100% -- By the way, if you're worried about the higher fall doing more damage, it won't matter much anyway. I just couldn't put it into words with out sounding like a smart @$$ -- loollll
Funny thing I have the same fear as you WATER !!!!  My Mavic does crazy thing while flying over water it looses altitude when in motion if I stop to Hover at 10ft above the water it starts to gain altitude -- I know it has to do with the VSP and the ultrasonic sensors , I just find it to be annoying to stop to change the settings when I go from solid ground to water -- I do realize this happens so I compensate for it but I have to keep the Mavic close to me because of it's size and it's capability to blend in with the background color of the water making orientation difficult---I was thinking that I might put a marking on my screen to line up with the horizon so I can maintain and control a consistent height when flying low over water or the ground      
2017-4-24
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-24 07:36
AGON, I agree with you 100% -- By the way, if you're worried about the higher fall doing more damage, it won't matter much anyway. I just couldn't put it into words with out sounding like a smart @$$ -- loollll
Funny thing I have the same fear as you WATER !!!!  My Mavic does crazy thing while flying over water it looses altitude when in motion if I stop to Hover at 10ft above the water it starts to gain altitude -- I know it has to do with the VSP and the ultrasonic sensors , I just find it to be annoying to stop to change the settings when I go from solid ground to water -- I do realize this happens so I compensate for it but I have to keep the Mavic close to me because of it's size and it's capability to blend in with the background color of the water making orientation difficult---I was thinking that I might put a marking on my screen to line up with the horizon so I can maintain and control a consistent height when flying low over water or the ground

Fly over water and she's like a table even close to the water.  I wonder if that's a newer firmware thing. Pretty soon the op will be hovering in windows and spying on bathrooms like the rest of us.
2017-4-24
Use props
4wesomeAdam
Second Officer
United States

One thing to be wary of is your depth perception will become less effective the further your drone is from you and is also age dependent to a degree. Your ability to judge weather you can clear an object will diminish the further away your drone is. For me it is almost like loosing my ability to view my drone and said object in three dimensions versus two.

Also, when you fly keep your head on a swivel so to speak. Just don't watch your drone, look in front of it. Pay attention to your surroundings. You may have overlooked an obstacle and see it a second time, power lines & utility poles for example.

I get vertigo with heights. Good luck.
2017-4-24
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

DO NOT PANIC for what ever happens during flight would help you to get your drone back in controlled. I check everything when install new DJI Go app or app gets updates to make sure they are properly set. The trees near my house 130ft tall, so default 30m won't work.
I flew a few times over water body and I am confident with my P4 and Mavic
https://app.airdata.com/main?fli ... _id=GENERALOverview
https://app.airdata.com/main?fli ... _id=GENERALOverview
2017-4-24
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-24 08:01
Fly over water and she's like a table even close to the water.  I wonder if that's a newer firmware thing. Pretty soon the op will be hovering in windows and spying on bathrooms like the rest of us.

Wahahahahaahh your crazy Brah  You never seem to not make me LMAO
2017-4-24
Use props
flyingNando
lvl.1

South Africa

self a beginner
and only have about an hours total flight time so far
IMO and advice
the mavic is very reliable, have had zero issues with the mavic or its controler

however, the same cant be said for the app and the phone viewing, however that wont let the mavic just fall out the sky
today, was over cast, and could see the little spec in the sky for ages, however due to the crappy app could not see distance of what the camera was seeing, when i could no longer see the spec, held down the home button, and not long after that, there it came home
that part is very reliable
and this was flying over a banana and sugar cane plantation
maybe getting too brave, however from what i have read, the mavic pro, is rare to just fall out the sky

as for the app, that is junk
maybe learn the remote and all the displays on the remote

enjoy

the footage is amazing
2017-4-24
Use props
fanse622820a
New
Flight distance : 6703 ft
United States

flyingNando Posted at 2017-4-24 11:05
self a beginner
and only have about an hours total flight time so far
IMO and advice

I would be very nervous. My Mavic dropped 100 feet out of the sky suddenly and I can't get DJI to acknowledge the problem or fix it. If you google "Mavic fall from sky" you will find numerous cases like mine. Do not fly it over water as it will be lost. If it drops over land at least you can make a case against DJI. I'm afraid we are going to have to start a class action suit against DJI as this is a common problem.
2017-5-25
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

nay Posted at 2017-4-23 16:36
The more you fly the better you will feel about it.   Try flying in wide open areas.

Well, mine fell out of the sky due to a prop breaking...
2017-5-25
Use props
MavicAlpha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243770 ft
Malaysia

before you fly, go through the checklist and make sure drone status is good
and trust your drone
Happy flying.
2017-5-25
Use props
Advanced