Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Cable Skiing - you ideas please :)
828 8 2017-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gilur
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136716 ft
Israel

Hi Guys,
I went flying today at a cable skiing location and done some flights there. It was very fun but I ended up thinking what will be the best way to follow people that ski.
My wishful goal is to let the mavic fly the inner "circle" of the lake and follow the ones skiing from half side/half back position.
I think that in order to do it I need some mixture of "Spotlight" along with "Trace". ("Trace" by itself will suffer from the turns and will probably lose the object on sharp turns. I suspect that it will be the same with "rofile"... It just might hit the person skiing when they will take a curve. "Spotlight" will stay too far away from the objects).
Any way to manipulate this?

If you have other suggestions I'd love to get them as well

2017-4-22
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

If you have other suggestions I'd love to get them as well

The first thing that came to mind is to watch out for the cables. Here's a cautionary tale from somebody who got lucky, with the most relevant part at around 0:47.

2017-4-22
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You can use the COURSE LOCK...Perfect for those situation!
2017-4-22
Use props
Gilur
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136716 ft
Israel

dronist Posted at 2017-4-22 17:30
You can use the COURSE LOCK...Perfect for those situation!

Course lock? I'm afraid I missed your point or I didn't explain it properly:
In course lock - Heading will keep pointing the same direction.
What I'm looking for is the apposite:

Let's say the cables are in an oval  shape like a - 'zero' and the size of it is 200x100 meters..

I want the quad to fly an "inner" zero, by the size of 160x60, centered to the cables and while flying this course I want to to point or chase the skier

Ideas ?
2017-4-23
Use props
Aerial Gopher
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331906 ft
Canada

When you said Skiing....  I though of cold.. Like this video....  All free hand flight.  Did anyone else notice the microwave antenna's on the dam structure?  :-)  Mavic still fly's.

2017-4-23
Use props
Mavic Jim
lvl.1
Flight distance : 127697 ft
United States

Gilur Posted at 2017-4-23 10:58
Course lock? I'm afraid I missed your point or I didn't explain it properly:
In course lock - Heading will keep pointing the same direction.
What I'm looking for is the apposite:

That's not correct, in course lock the COURSE will point in the same direction regardless of drone heading.  With other words pushing your right stick forward (as long as you set your course lock with drone facing away from you) will always fly the Mavic away from you no matter where the camera points (or drone heading).  
It will make flying easier since you can just focus on camera position.   I would assume that's a good way to maintain situational awareness near all those cables.  FLY WELL!
2017-4-23
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Then u need to use Point of Interest  and extend the distance of the diameter to cover your area.
2017-4-23
Use props
Mavic Jim
lvl.1
Flight distance : 127697 ft
United States

Mavic Jim Posted at 2017-4-23 11:46
That's not correct, in course lock the COURSE will point in the same direction regardless of drone heading.  With other words pushing your right stick forward (as long as you set your course lock with drone facing away from you) will always fly the Mavic away from you no matter where the camera points (or drone heading).  
It will make flying easier since you can just focus on camera position.   I would assume that's a good way to maintain situational awareness near all those cables.  FLY WELL!

Another option could be to use the WAYPOINT feature.  Take a few laps and create yourself a waypoint set to plot the ski course.  Once established, the drone could just fly the preset waypoints while you adjust heading to keep the camera on the target object.  I assume that would work, love to hear how it goes.
2017-4-23
Use props
Chaser720
lvl.3
Flight distance : 400190 ft
Canada

Mavic Jim Posted at 2017-4-23 17:50
Another option could be to use the WAYPOINT feature.  Take a few laps and create yourself a waypoint set to plot the ski course.  Once established, the drone could just fly the preset waypoints while you adjust heading to keep the camera on the target object.  I assume that would work, love to hear how it goes.

This is what I was thinking. I would actually create a mission in Litchi with the right course and POIs. Fly it a few times to get the speed right and make adjustments.
2017-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules