Is perfectly leveled surface still required for IMU calibration?
1444 4 2017-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GrAndAG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6299 ft
Russia

For Fantom series is understandable. Because for them the procedure is just "put the drone on leveled surface and do not touch it". Fantoms also have rigid landing gears for it.
But for Mavic the procedure is changed. You have to rotate drone into 5 different positions. And in neither position Mavic is not rigid enough.
For example, instruction says "dismount propellers", but on picture (and in tutorial video) propellers are on. Whereas Mavic actually leveled differently with or without propellers.
Then, IMU calibration procedure requires to put Mavic on its side. But in this position propellers also affects levelling. And even arms are not hard enough.
And in the last position, staying on tail, Mavic is not perpendicular to the ground at all (someone even suggest to lean Mavic on wall).

So, I'm not sure if perfectly leveled surface is still the MUST for IMU calibration for Mavic.
2017-4-22
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

I have never had to calibrate my Mavic but  on all the drones I have built over the years the compass calibration was the one that needed to be rotated in all directions and planes . The IMU needed a perfectly flat and stable surface to be on when calibration was done . Even heavy footsteps or a loud stereo passing by would affect the sensors due to the vibration . Curious to what others say about this .
2017-4-22
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Out of curiosity is finding a level surface something that's difficult or impossible for you to do?

I've had no problem finding one that's pretty much perfectly level, at least to the extent that my bubble level and eyesight can determine. And since that's what DJI specifies I would recommend following their instructions for the calibration.
2017-4-22
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

P4 pro you must calibrate on all five sides.
2017-4-22
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

everyday of the year even WHEN PIGS FLY!
2017-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules