Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Entering/coming close to no fly zones - what happens?
2559 11 2017-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nzfritz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 263796 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

Question that maybe someone has experienced.

We work in an area that is close to an airport.  We have always respected the no fly zones because of safety.  However, with the S900 we were able to fly with the feature turned off and then use the DJI no fly zone map as a reference so that we could fly on the edge of the zone and still stay safe.

Have just purchased an Inspire 2.
We would like to do jobs that are on the edge of the NFZ but before we do, I'd like to know what happens if the craft comes close to or slightly crosses 'the line'.

I read recently there was a guy in New Zealand who tried to fly over the harbour bridge (a no fly zone) and the craft literally just decended and landed on the bridge - the pilot was fined) as this obviously was a dagerous to the traffic and could have been a worse outcome!

So, the question is what happens?  Will the i2 just land right away, or will the invisable wall cause it to put the brakes on?  I presume there will be warnings as we approach the wall, but I would love to know what would happen in a real life scenario.  Often we fly above the ocean, so would be lovely if the craft doesnt just decend and land...

Thanks!!!
2017-4-22
Use props
Viper Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

I'm not 100% sure but I thought the latest F/W update has the I2 initiating a RTH when flown into that NFZ 'wall'.  I think on the previous F/W it would just land when it entered the NFZ.
2017-4-23
Use props
nzfritz
lvl.3
  • >>>
Indonesia

I hope that is the case and it's not changed again in a future update! Best we stay tuned in!
2017-4-23
Use props
Sharif
lvl.3
Flight distance : 621312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The old firmware would literally auto-land on the spot with no way to cancel or return home.  The new firmware is supposed to have fix this.  It would be great to test this in a controlled environment.
2017-4-23
Use props
Visual Air
Captain
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Sharif@Forged Posted at 2017-4-23 06:07
The old firmware would literally auto-land on the spot with no way to cancel or return home.  The new firmware is supposed to have fix this.  It would be great to test this in a controlled environment.

Believe you get a warning first before RTH happens.
2017-4-23
Use props
nzfritz
lvl.3
  • >>>
Indonesia

I'll try and test it and get back to you all.
2017-4-23
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Waiting to hear from you. Interesting points.
2017-4-23
Use props
Dr Jon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 463012 ft
United Kingdom

As you approach the restricted space a warning message is first activated then repeated a short time later (speed dependent, if you don't react the RTH is activated (if it has been set). If not it will land at it current location.  

It should be noted that if the R/C is going to be moved during the flight and RTH is no longer valid (chasing in a car or a boat) then the setting must be changed before the start of the flight

I recommend the use of the External GPS module from DJI compared to the one in handheld device. I have noticed the I2 reacts faster to the module compared to the handheld.   
2017-4-24
Use props
RgrDat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 680679 ft
United States

Dr Jon, does that mean that the I2 reacts a bit differently than the Mavic Pro?  Anytime I've been inside a NFZ it's just had me check two boxes: one saying I have permission and another saying that I accept all risks involved.  Granted, I hadn't taken off yet, but that's my limited experience with them.  Unless what I was in was just a restricted zone, in which case, ignore me for being an idiot and I'll stop asking dumb questions.  One example is when I got permission from the Medivac Helicopter crew to fly around the front of a hospital with all their colored lights on for the holidays.  I have not, however, tried to fly up to the oval office window at the White House or anything slightly more idiotic like that. Ha.  Seriously though, I'm just asking because I don't want to have my new I2 land somewhere randomly like that.  Thanks for your help.  That is all...carry on.
2017-4-24
Use props
nzfritz
lvl.3
  • >>>
Indonesia

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-4-24 06:36
As you approach the restricted space a warning message is first activated then repeated a short time later (speed dependent, if you don't react the RTH is activated (if it has been set). If not it will land at it current location.  

It should be noted that if the R/C is going to be moved during the flight and RTH is no longer valid (chasing in a car or a boat) then the setting must be changed before the start of the flight

Thanks so much Dr Jon! Will try it in the real world soon!
2017-4-24
Use props
Dr Jon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 463012 ft
United Kingdom

RgrDat Posted at 2017-4-24 12:22
Dr Jon, does that mean that the I2 reacts a bit differently than the Mavic Pro?  Anytime I've been inside a NFZ it's just had me check two boxes: one saying I have permission and another saying that I accept all risks involved.  Granted, I hadn't taken off yet, but that's my limited experience with them.  Unless what I was in was just a restricted zone, in which case, ignore me for being an idiot and I'll stop asking dumb questions.  One example is when I got permission from the Medivac Helicopter crew to fly around the front of a hospital with all their colored lights on for the holidays.  I have not, however, tried to fly up to the oval office window at the White House or anything slightly more idiotic like that. Ha.  Seriously though, I'm just asking because I don't want to have my new I2 land somewhere randomly like that.  Thanks for your help.  That is all...carry on.

You are only entering an advance warning zone if it offers a check box not a restricted Zone.

Dji has 4 categories http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

The only way you can get in to a restricted zone is by DJI sending you a copy of the DJI GO 4 which is time limited approval at the GEO location you ask for. To get this you need to submit flight plans and authority letters permitting you to fly there. I did this recently at an air force base at their family day. The day after the event i had to delete the DJI GO 4 as it wouldn't even connect to the I2.

But the point of the revised rule is the Inspire will simply come back to you or the RTH location and not land which is what it did before. This doesn't happen on the 3 low category areas only restricted "red" areas.  
2017-4-25
Use props
nzfritz
lvl.3
  • >>>
Indonesia

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-4-25 01:24
You are only entering an advance warning zone if it offers a check box not a restricted Zone.

Dji has 4 categories http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

Good info - thanks!
2017-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules