Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic crashed due to compass error
123Next >
13379 109 2017-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb62b7dd7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 385459 ft
Ukraine

Today my Mavic has crashed due to compas error. I flew about 4 hours without any problems. Bu today I took off and it suddenly just didn't want to listen to my commands from the right stick and flew just where he wanted, and as a result hit inot the tree and falt down. My IiPhone has shown compass error when I noticed I can't control my Mavic. There is no magnetic interference there as I flew in the same location one day before without any problem, but today is the fatak day suddenly and unexpectedly.
Result is one broken leg and broken camera gimbal.
I hope DJI will replace or at least repair my drone as the reason very seems like error in the drone, and error in the compass itself.
Video:
2017-4-23
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Do you have any logs,
2017-4-23
Use props
Casperr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15850 ft
Canada

This same thing happened to me. I never had that issue prior to the big software update recently then it just went crazy. Broke the gimbal camera
2017-4-23
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

My IiPhone has shown compass error when I noticed I can't control my Mavic. There is no magnetic interference there as I flew in the same location one day before without any problem, but today is the fatak day suddenly and unexpectedly.

It appears from your video that the bench you took off from is supported by metal posts. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one specific location on the bench was fine while another nearer to the posts caused a compass error.

I hope DJI will replace or at least repair my drone as the reason very seems like error in the drone, and error in the compass itself.

I'm sorry about your crash, but I doubt it. It's very likely that you got the compass error before you took off telling you to move the aircraft or calibrate the compass. In this case the proper thing to do would have been to move the aircraft to somewhere away from the metal / magnetic interference.
2017-4-23
Use props
hungdang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4931706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You should contact DJI support for help.
2017-4-23
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

If you post the .dat file downloaded from the Mavic  using DJI Assist, some on this forum may be able to determine the cause.  DJi will also need to see these to confirm it's a warranty issue.Post #4 is correct. Appears you took off from something that had metal which may have influenced your compass in a bad way. This can be determined by the flight log. (Not the one from the app used for HD)
2017-4-23
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Fan's,
        I would upload the flight data to DJI let them analyze it --- I know for a fact that a compass error would not cause loss of stick control --- I know this cause I was flying on a bridge with metal guard rails on both sides and when I came below the height and in-between the rails I was getting the compass errors an it did not affect my stick inputs -- I believe the compass and GPS in the Mavic are used for stabilization and direction for the GO4 app and for autonomous flight modes .
    Anybody please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ?   
2017-4-23
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-23 18:44
Fan's,
        I would upload the flight data to DJI let them analyze it --- I know for a fact that a compass error would not cause loss of stick control --- I know this cause I was flying on a bridge with metal guard rails on both sides and when I came below the height and in-between the rails I was getting the compass errors an it did not affect my stick inputs -- I believe the compass and GPS in the Mavic are used for stabilization and direction for the GO4 app and for autonomous flight modes .
    Anybody please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ?

I know for a fact that a compass error would not cause loss of stick control

Actually, it can. If you take off with a compass affected by metal or some other magnetic source you can lose control of the Mavic's direction. You'll still have the ability to increase or decrease altitude, but it can otherwise seem almost completely uncontrollable. You're eventually able to regain control and fly normally, but that's assuming you don't first crash into something . . . like a tree.
2017-4-23
Use props
Casperr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15850 ft
Canada

How about in my case? I don't understand how this happened to me. I was also seeing that compass error on my iPhone. The mavic was just up in the air steady in one place without me controlling it as I just wanted to drain the battery then all of a sudden it decided to just fly on its own like the OP here and hit the wall of the house and thus breaking the gimbal. I can only think of the software update that occurred few days ago as I never had this issue in the past
2017-4-23
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-23 18:50
I know for a fact that a compass error would not cause loss of stick control

Actually, it can. If you take off with a compass affected by metal or some other magnetic source you can lose control of the Mavic's direction. You'll still have the ability to increase or decrease altitude, but it can otherwise seem almost completely uncontrollable. You're eventually able to regain control and fly normally, but that's assuming you don't first crash into something . . . like a tree.

DroneFlying ,
                   If the controller is within a magnetic a field or close to any thing magnetized yes it will effect the stick inputs, the sticks use something similar to a Hall Effect sensor, the sides at the end of the sticks inside the controller have magnets that pass over the sensor calculating your input <--- now this was magnetic interference with just the controller ---- The Mavic AC has a compass in it and when it's out of whack we need to calibrate it and I believe from my experience on the bridge by flying below and between the guard rails is what was causing my compass error --- yet still having total control with my stick inputs,  once I raised above the rails it would go away I did justify this a few times by doing so. I have looked at the radar arrow on the app as I did this and did notice deviations of the actual direction of the AC This is why I believe the compass in the Mavic is used for autonomous Flight direction in conjunction with the GO4 app that uses the compass in the phone or tablets.  I do have another Fact -- The Mavic is very tricky too truly understand it's sequence of operation
FlySafe  
2017-4-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Did you get in touch with our tech support at support.eu@dji.com and send it in for further diagnosis and repair?
Besides, could you please sync your flight records and provide me with your DJI account email. I can help to review your flight records.
2017-4-24
Use props
fansb62b7dd7
lvl.1
Ukraine

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-24 01:00
Did you get in touch with our tech support at  and send it in for further diagnosis and repair?
Besides, could you please sync your flight records and provide me with your DJI account email. I can help to review your flight records.

I will bring it tomorrow to Ukrainian local service in Kyiv.
I've synced flight records, my email is oleg.artiukh@gmail.com, you can see it.
I didn't download logs from drone because I don't want to touch it until bringing it to the service.

In the next post I'll describe my investigations.
2017-4-24
Use props
fansb62b7dd7
lvl.1
Ukraine

Thanks all for reply. Here is the video with my investigations of the issue based on flight record.

When I turned it on, Go4 app didn't ask to calibrate compass, and I calibrated it in this area 2 days before.
When I started motors, I also didn't notice compass error, I saw it on iPhone before the crash. But in the flight record I see that heading of the drone in the map significantly differs from real heading during all the flight. This is what makes concern.

BTW I updated drone with the new updates 4-5 days ago, but I flew about 1.5 hours without problems.
Controller was in normal connection with the drone, as I see (and you can see in the video) it fully reacted to the left stick but didn't react to the right one after taking off. Now I see I had to go up as fast as possible, probably I could avoid hit into the tree, but I was in panic and tried to make Mavic go back, but it continued flying like a crazy and like with course lock (flight direction was the same while head as turning around).

I don't think metal object can make interference as there are no any electricity objects, or radiomagnetic objects, I flew in a village in 50 kilometers from the nearest city Moreover I took off from exactly the same point one day before.

I don't want to touch the drone and download logs until bringing it to certified support.
2017-4-24
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

fansb62b7dd7 Posted at 2017-4-24 01:53
Thanks all for reply. Here is the video with my investigations of the issue based on flight record.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYR6kD7FrKM

You said you calibrated your compass a couple of days ago, why.
2017-4-24
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Now I see I had to go up as fast as possible, probably I could avoid hit into the tree, but I was in panic  and tried to make Mavic go back, but it continued flying like a crazy and like with course lock (flight direction was the same while head as turning around).

Yes, it probably would have recovered eventually, but I understand what you mean: it's a little scary when your expensive drone suddenly stops responding to the controls.

I don't think metal object can make interference as there are no any electricity objects, or radiomagnetic objects, I flew in a village in 50 kilometers from the nearest city Moreover I took off from exactly the same point one day before.

The metal posts in the bench you took off from could have affected the compass. That's just a guess on my part, of course, but DJI will be able to give you a more definitive answer when you send in your Mavic. Good luck.
2017-4-24
Use props
Oleh Artyukh
lvl.1
Ukraine

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-24 02:01
You said you calibrated your compass a couple of days ago, why.

Because I moved to the new place 150 km from previous flight.
2017-4-24
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Oleh Artyukh Posted at 2017-4-24 02:31

You really only should calibrate compass when prompted, although I can't know if this is what caused your problem, looking at your video it looks like the way it took off in a big circle that it was compass or gps issue, you really should upload your logs.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/Phantom-4/#DataLog
2017-4-24
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Oleh Artyukh Posted at 2017-4-24 02:31

Looking at your video it doesn't seem you did anything wrong there are no compass warnings but a weak signal from remote to aircraft, it does look like it was acting on its own right from the start, to me this looks like a malfunction that shouldn't have happened.
I wish you luck and hope this will be a warranty repair.
2017-4-24
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

By the way, the compass error message I was talking about doesn't show up in the replay of a flight, probably because it isn't considered part of the flight but occurs prior to starting the motors. So yes, I still believe this was probably caused by the metal posts under the bench, especially since you mentioned in the original post that you saw a compass error on your mobile device.
2017-4-24
Use props
un hombre
lvl.3
Flight distance : 170830 ft
Ireland

I recommend to have a check list of things to check, before each flight. Even, if you swapped batterries and starting from same location. My minimum recommendation would be to check battery status and compass status before each flight! Most likely you would have noticed both compasses being not in green but yellow or red (interference). Yellow would give me enough reason not to fly...
2017-4-24
Use props
CuaC
First Officer
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Please update your DJI Go logs to airdata.com and share the link here. We'll help to see if there's something obvious.

From your video the only thing to blame is taking off over a metalic bar (under the bench) that can confuse the compass, but it should have warned you. Also if the calibration was there, maybe it was not so good. I guess talking about checklists now doesn't help you, but I always:

Check IMU / Compass status on aircraft powerup . I DON'T calibrate unless prompted, as the user manual says (and so far I have had no compass calibration since I have the drone lol)
Check SD card empty
Check cache empty
Check GPS condition (not only number of satellites, signal quality too, the white bars, as you can see many satellites but use none)
Start motors, listen to their sound (if there's a prop imbalance it will sound odd)
Lift to around 1m and let it hover 4-5 seconds.
Perform a basic control check: Lift up/down, strafe right/left, rotate both sides.

If at that point everything is nominal, I start my mission.
Take off to around a meter
2017-4-24
Use props
IVAN01
lvl.1
Flight distance : 559938 ft
United States

I had a lot of funny experience with this compass stuff. Near my home I have a really magic zone with some irregular compass interference. The only way to fly there is to raise elevation to avoid obstacles and try to override incorrect input. After a while everything goes normal after I leave this zone. But the experience is terrible. In one kilometer away I can fly kilometers in a straight line. Here is the video of the "straight" fly:
2017-4-24
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-23 20:19
DroneFlying ,
                   If the controller is within a magnetic a field or close to any thing magnetized yes it will effect the stick inputs, the sticks use something similar to a Hall Effect sensor, the sides at the end of the sticks inside the controller have magnets that pass over the sensor calculating your input

the sticks use something similar to a Hall Effect sensor,

Simply a mater of curiosity.  Do you know for certain that the sticks use Hall Effect sensors.  That's certainly one possibility, but there are also several others.
2017-4-24
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-24 02:36
You really only should calibrate compass when prompted, although I can't know if this is what caused your problem, looking at your video it looks like the way it took off in a big circle that it was compass or gps issue, you really should upload your logs.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/Phantom-4/#DataLog

I know compass calibration is a controversial topic.  But it's my impression that the Compass Error prompt occurs because the redundant compasses in the Mavic don't agree, often (but not always)  due to local magnetic obstructions.  

The other (unprompted) reason to re-calibrate is relocating to a distant location where natural magnetic declination may be significantly different.  You typically not see a compass error in these cases, but the compass direction may not exactly match GPS direction which may cause repeated drifting and course correction.  In the case of lost or flaky GPS, the AC direction would not be true.

I think most people avoid re-calibration because they often do it improperly or incompletely, leaving the compass error in a worse state than they started.  For the most part, I always do a carefully re calibration whenever I relocate more than a few hundred miles and have never had any problems.
2017-4-24
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-4-24 05:51
I know compass calibration is a controversial topic.  But it's my impression that the Compass Error prompt occurs because the redundant compasses in the Mavic don't agree, often (but not always)  due to local magnetic obstructions.  

The other (unprompted) reason to re-calibrate is relocating to a distant location where natural magnetic declination may be significantly different.  You typically not see a compass error in these cases, but the compass direction may not exactly match GPS direction which may cause repeated drifting and course correction.  In the case of lost or flaky GPS, the AC direction would not be true.

It is True that the natural magnetic declination does change drastically especially after a 200 mile location change   
2017-4-24
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-24 06:07
It is True that the natural magnetic declination does change drastically especially after a 200 mile location change

Declination may or may not change, depending on locations.  It's non-uniform.  My curiosity is how compass reading figures into the stability and navigation systems of the Mavic, as it seems to have some profound effects.

Upon reflection, I don't see how declination changes could effect normal AC operation.  The compass(es) will still point to magnetic north even after re-calibration. The only way to account for magnetic deviation is via GPS location and a declination chart (could that happen during calibration?).  So, in retrospect, there is some validity to the argument that one only needs to re-calibrate the compass when prompted. But that probably won't stop me from doing it anyway :-)
2017-4-24
Use props
Oleh Artyukh
lvl.1
Ukraine

Maybe you're right that compass error occurred due due to metal legs under the bench but I used the same bench a day before, and after I took off I was more than several meters from the bench. Also, I don't remember that controller shown errors before start the flight. Let's see it in the logs.

BTW, I can't find a way how to take logs from Mavic. Won't taking logs break warranty?
2017-4-24
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-4-24 06:37
Declination may or may not change, depending on locations.  It's non-uniform.  My curiosity is how compass reading figures into the stability and navigation systems of the Mavic, as it seems to have some profound effects.

Upon reflection, I don't see how declination changes could effect normal AC operation.  The compass(es) will still point to magnetic north even after re-calibration. The only way to account for magnetic deviation is via GPS location and a declination chart (could that happen during calibration?).  So, in retrospect, there is some validity to the argument that one only needs to re-calibrate the compass when prompted. But that probably won't stop me from doing it anyway :-)

I believe stability of the Mavic is electronically maintained by gyro's for the motor ESC's and direction is maintained by input of the pilot in conjunction with the gyro's when in motion --- I believe GPS kicks in
for the GO4 app AC telemetry and all work together when in an autonomous mode and when in Hover
The big question is what causes the compass error to trigger ?  what you said B4 about the Mavic having redundant (2) compasses makes sense, one for the declination of the area the other for the actual direction of the Mavic's heading . Once you move to a different declination area the compasses are no longer matching up and can cause a compass error --- The answers for this type of information from DJI can give us much more of an under standing of the system so we can take the proper precautions, Griffith I hope you do realize that many people , not all on this form don't have a clue what we are talking about whahahahahhh  
2017-4-24
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Griffith Posted at 2017-4-24 05:51

I hear what your saying, a lot can depend where you come from, the magnetic declination for instance in my country is less than 1% from north to south a distance of 300 miles, in U.K. It is about the same with a distance of almost 600 miles north to south so the magnetic declination is insignificant.

Yes I know in the states it can vary a lot more travelling east to west, but my thinking on this whole compass thing is very simple, you are told in the manual not to do compass calibration unless prompted, so if you carry out compass calibration and do it wrong you will most likely end up with a bad compass, dji have obviously put that in the manual for some good reason, they have also given instruction in the manual for magnetic or other compass interference and what to do, although I know a lot of people just pick up their Mavics on the spot and do the compass dance so wrong.

I know there are others probably yourself included who like to be sure and are well capable of carrying out compass calibration and that's fine I don't see anything wrong in that, the difference in declination can be googled if people are not sure.
2017-4-24
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Oleh Artyukh Posted at 2017-4-24 06:52
Maybe you're right that compass error occurred due due to metal legs under the bench but I used the same bench a day before, and after I took off I was more than several meters from the bench. Also, I don't remember that controller shown errors before start the flight. Let's see it in the logs.

BTW, I can't find a way how to take logs from Mavic. Won't taking logs break warranty?

Maybe you're right that compass error occurred due due to metal legs under the bench but I used the same bench a day before

I'm sure that's true, but even a small change in position on the bench might have been enough to trigger a compass problem. I've seen this myself with concrete, which contains steel rebar: place the Mavic in one location and I get a compass error, but move it a small distance and the error goes away.

Also, I don't remember that controller shown errors before start the flight. Let's see it in the logs.

You mentioned a compass error in your original post, but yes, it's best to get our information from the logs to be sure.

No, retrieving logs off the Mavic won't affect the warranty in any way.

Here is a link to a page that describes how to get the log data from the Mavic itself. Make sure to include the DAT file from the flight where you crashed, which won't necessarily be the latest file if you turned the Mavic back on after the crash.

You can also find the instructions here on how to retrieve the flight log that's written on your mobile device, and again make sure to identify the correct flight log to upload.
2017-4-24
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Oleh Artyukh Posted at 2017-4-24 06:52

It depends what was the warning you received, was it magnetic interference please move to another location or calibrate compass, only you can tell us that it will be in your app under warnings.

Usually when you take off with compass interference your Mavic is likely to go into a spin almost straight away, this didn't happen you were able to climb, but then after you climbed it seemed to go into a spin which looked like gps problem or compass problem.

If I can explain about compass interference, if you calibrate your compass in an unsuitable area then your compass will take on the values and parameters of that area, so if you stick to that area then your AC should be ok, it's when you leave that area, now the compass is out of sync . It's the same if you try to land on a steel roof you will see nearer you get to the roof your AC start to make a circular motion some call the toilet bowl effect, (TBE) , it is similar to how your AC behaved,

Again it would be interesting to know what warnings you had before takeoff.
2017-4-24
Use props
Maison Riley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 344990 ft
United States

I too just had this happen 2 weeks ago and DJI is now trying to place the blame on me saying "I was in a rapid decent in GPS mode when the aircraft experienced a magnetic interference upon crashing". I am extremely upset with the whole process as I have DJI care for this drone and have been treated like complete crap from the beginning. I've spent numerous hours on hold just to talk with belligerent call center employees in India that have been completely reluctant to put me in touch with their superiors. This treatment to DJI long time customers is absolutely despicable.

Upon reaching a controlled hover next to my vehicle I gained an audible and visual alarm from my DJI Go4 app notifying me that I had a magnetic interference. I continued to pull the stick down to initiate landing when my drone pitched into a rapid right then left angle of attack smashing my Mavic into my vehicle (no damage thankfully) causing the left front arm to push in and expose the gimbal to the 2 foot drop on to concrete. I would like to add as a side note that I am a Part 107 FAA Remote Pilot and have many year of experience and never have i ever felt with an error causing this problem nor have I dealt with such a crappy customer service center. I refuse to pay $79 for an error of your manufacturing DJI especially when I purchased your $99 program to cover myself from your errors. This needs to be fixed and it needs to be fixed now!
2017-4-24
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-24 07:11
I believe stability of the Mavic is electronically maintained by gyro's for the motor ESC's and direction is maintained by input of the pilot in conjunction with the gyro's when in motion --- I believe GPS kicks in
for the GO4 app AC telemetry and all work together when in an autonomous mode and when in Hover
The big question is what causes the compass error to trigger ?  what you said B4 about the Mavic having redundant (2) compasses makes sense, one for the declination of the area the other for the actual direction of the Mavic's heading . Once you move to a different declination area the compasses are no longer matching up and can cause a compass error --- The answers for this type of information from DJI can give us much more of an under standing of the system so we can take the proper precautions, Griffith I hope you do realize that many people , not all on this form don't have a clue what we are talking about whahahahahhh

Skunkwerx, thanks for taking part in a most excellent discussion - just a bit off topic to CelticWarrior's problem, but none-the-less insightful.  

fansb62b7dd7- it will not void the warranty to download logs from the Mavic. In fact it would be very helpful.  See if you can find tutorials to help you upload them to Airdata or one of the other sites, Post the link here and you may get some better help than our speculation.
2017-4-24
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-24 08:40
Maybe you're right that compass error occurred due due to metal legs under the bench but I used the same bench a day before

I'm sure that's true, but even a small change in position on the bench might have been enough to trigger a compass problem. I've seen this myself with concrete, which contains steel rebar: place the Mavic in one location and I get a compass error, but move it a small distance and the error goes away.

DroneFlying,  When I go out flying I use the tailgate of my pickup for a bench and every time I power up the RC and Mavic I get the compass error warning, as I move just the Mavic away from the truck it clears and I can fly while sitting on the tailgate even when resting the controller on it while flying I still don't get any warnings. I'm starting to wonder what would happen if I took off while getting the compass error ???
Now just to add a twist and some food for thought -- I have a large metal wielding table outside, I used this once as a bench when I power up I quickly receive compass error and strong magnetic interference warnings so I moved both the RC and AC about 20ft and then some more from it after the warnings cleared . This has happen to me when I first received my Mavic -- I have used the table as a bench in the past for other RC plane's and never had any interference, then again I never owned a system as sophisticated as the Mavic's , I do own RC equipment that is more expensive.
            Your analogy of a small change in position on the bench the op was flying at can be enough to trigger a compass error is definitely a #1 possibility it could have also effected the Controller too an caused the issue -- The Data is needed to be analyzed by DJI to know for sure what happen.
             My question to DJI is --- does the strong magnetic interference warning triggered by magnetism  that just the  controller is picking up ??????? and being that the Mavic seems to be more sensitive to magnetism the compass error warning is just being triggered by what it is picking up?????
               I ask this because if this is true, the control strong magnetic interference warning can be avoided by running like hell to a different part of your flying  location to regain control !!
                No pun intended with my solution to the issue            
2017-4-24
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-4-24 10:43
Skunkwerx, thanks for taking part in a most excellent discussion - just a bit off topic to CelticWarrior's problem, but none-the-less insightful.  

fansb62b7dd7- it will not void the warranty to download logs from the Mavic. In fact it would be very helpful.  See if you can find tutorials to help you upload them to Airdata or one of the other sites, Post the link here and you may get some better help than our speculation.

Griffith, This is one of the most intense treads I ever took part in  
I'm very sorry for being off topic I feel this is all related in some way and answers need to be tolled
This was op fansb62b7dd7 problem not Celtics -----  Again I'm truly Sorry  
2017-4-24
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Maison Riley Posted at 2017-4-24 10:43
I too just had this happen 2 weeks ago and DJI is now trying to place the blame on me saying "I was in a rapid decent in GPS mode when the aircraft experienced a magnetic interference upon crashing". I am extremely upset with the whole process as I have DJI care for this drone and have been treated like complete crap from the beginning. I've spent numerous hours on hold just to talk with belligerent call center employees in India that have been completely reluctant to put me in touch with their superiors. This treatment to DJI long time customers is absolutely despicable.

Upon reaching a controlled hover next to my vehicle I gained an audible and visual alarm from my DJI Go4 app notifying me that I had a magnetic interference. I continued to pull the stick down to initiate landing when my drone pitched into a rapid right then left angle of attack smashing my Mavic into my vehicle (no damage thankfully) causing the left front arm to push in and expose the gimbal to the 2 foot drop on to concrete. I would like to add as a side note that I am a Part 107 FAA Remote Pilot and have many year of experience and never have i ever felt with an error causing this problem nor have I dealt with such a crappy customer service center. I refuse to pay $79 for an error of your manufacturing DJI especially when I purchased your $99 program to cover myself from your errors. This needs to be fixed and it needs to be fixed now!

Maybe you should start your own thread, I think yours is a bit different, hovering next to your vehicle full of electronics and much steel, you got magnetic interference, that one might not be as hard to figure as you think.
2017-4-24
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-24 07:11

I'm really not sure why there are redundant compasses.  The only logical reason I can see is to actually detect the presence of a magnetic disturbance nearby, thereby rendering all compasses inaccurate.  The "detector" would work like this:  The two (or more ?) compasses are are placed in different (non-linear) positions throughout the AC.  A nearby magnetic disturbance would affect all the compasses, but would affect  each differently, there by throwing an error flag.  To my knowledge the only way to set or determine true north (as opposed to magnetic north) is through the use of the declination tables (which can change a bit over time). This would either require some sort of location-coordinate lookup table (may be big) or a query back to a server app (not reliable if no network available).  

I agree that the gyros  and  GPS (and sometimes VPS)  are all needed to control the hover stability.  So the compass functions as an AC orientation sensor.  Gyro's could probably provide the same information.  Small manned aircraft I used to fly were equipped with both magnetic and gyro compasses, with the magnetic compass primarily used for manual calibration of the gyro.

Need some help here from the DJI engineers :-)

But that brings us back to the original question of why THIS drone drifted off.  Maybe the logs will shed some light.
2017-4-24
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
United States

Maison Riley Posted at 2017-4-24 10:43

Maison Riley , I understand how you feel , There is one thing I found out early on in the RC Field there will always be two things out of our control they are --- Magnetism and Signal Interference                           
like there is two thing for sure in life --- Taxes and Death
                           No RC System is Bullet Proof unless the Government uses it !!!     
2017-4-24
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Many things can distort the earth’s magnetic field in the area you are flying:

Steel framed or reinforced concrete buildings, bridges and roadways, iron pipes and culverts, high power electric lines, heavy equipment, trucks and automobiles, steel tanks, electric motors and even computers.
Flying between steel framed or reinforced high rise buildings will distort the magnetic field in addition to causing GPS multi-pathing.
Safe distances for compass calibration

6” (15 cm) minimum: Metal rim glasses, pen/pencil, metal watch band, pocket knife, metal zipper/buttons, belt buckle, batteries, binoculars, cell phone, keys, camera, camcorder, survey nails, metal tape measure.
18” (50 cm) minimum: Clipboard, data collector, computer, GPS antenna, 2-way radio, hand gun, hatchet, cell phone case with magnetic closure.
6 ft (2 m) minimum: Bicycle, fire hydrant, road signs, sewer cap or drain, steel pole, ATV, guy wire, magnets, chain-link fence, bar-wire fence, data collectors

that use a magnet to hold the stylus.
15 ft (5 m) minimum: Electrical box, small car/truck, powerline, building with concrete & steel.
30 ft (10 m) minimum: Large truck, metal building, heavy machinery.
2017-4-24
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

Maison Riley, have you published your log on another thread?
2017-4-24
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules