1409 25 2017-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans61571660
New
United States

Hello droners,

I have a few questions.

In airspace class D, do you need an authorization to fly regardless of the altitude?
For instance, do you really need an approval even when you are flying around 20ft AGL?

Speaking of airspace authorization, is it possible to obtain long-term authorization?

Last but not least, notifying the nearby airports...
Whenver I turn on B4UFLY app, I almost always get a message saying that I am within 5 miles of an airport.
When I click some option to find out who these "airports" are, I see scores of hospitals, heliports, and whatnot.
I know by the rule that I am required to notify these nearby heliports, but sometimes it seems utterly unrealistic, espeically when dozones of airports pop up in the screen?

What are you guys' take on this?

I thank you for your guidance in advance.

2017-4-23
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

In airspace class D, do you need an authorization to fly regardless of the altitude?

The FAA requires recreational fliers to notify any airport within five miles of where you're flying regardless of the airspace / airport size.

For instance, do you really need an approval even when you are flying around 20ft AGL?

Yes, the altitude doesn't matter.

Speaking of airspace authorization, is it possible to obtain long-term authorization?

The FAA's verbiage is a little vague on this point. It says that you have to notify them of your flight plans but doesn't explicitly say you have to call daily, for example, if you plan to fly on successive days.

I know by the rule that I am required to notify these nearby heliports, but sometimes it seems utterly unrealistic, espeically when dozones of airports pop up in the screen?

Yes, as you mentioned, many of the B4UFLY areas are heliports and even with some of the smaller airports it's difficult and sometimes even impossible to find out how to contact.

What are you guys' take on this?

I think if you can make a convincing case that you made a good faith effort to follow the rules that you're very unlikely to get in any trouble even if you don't, for example, successfully contact every single airport and heliport with five miles.

P.S. One last very important point: you don't need "authorization" from those airports and heliports but are simply required to notify them.

Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?

Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions
2017-4-23
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

This site is incredibly useful: https://app.airmap.io/#

Technically there is nothing that says you cannot fly within B, C, D, or E airspace. (Edit: This is wrong. See a few posts below.) However, I would still be carefull. If you are flying at 20 AGL don't bother worrying.

You only need to notify actual airports. "hospitals, heliports, and whatnot." do not need to be notified.
2017-4-23
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

geofox784 Posted at 2017-4-23 16:36
This site is incredibly useful: https://app.airmap.io/#

Technically there is nothing that says you cannot fly within B, C, D, or E airspace. However, I would still be carefull. If you are flying at 20 AGL don't bother worrying.

You only need to notify actual airports. "hospitals, heliports, and whatnot" do not need to be notified

Do I have to notify all airports within five miles of where I want to fly recreationally?
Yes, you must contact any airports (including heliports and sea-based airports) and air traffic control towers within five miles of your proposed area of operations if flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95, Section 336).
2017-4-23
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

fan's, Why would anyone want to fly within B, C, D, or E airspace are the owners handicap??
   Please explain to me why , these kind of questions stump my imagination . My mind keeps saying to me Why , why , why . I just can't find in my mind a reasonable or logical  explanation other then "One just wants too because he can"
2017-4-23
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-23 16:55
fan's, Why would anyone want to fly within B, C, D, or E airspace are the owners handicap??
   Please explain to me why , these kind of questions stump my imagination . My mind keeps saying to me Why , why , why . I just can't find in my mind a reasonable or logical  explanation other then "One just wants too because he can"

"Why would anyone want to fly within B, C, D, or E airspace are the owners handicap?? "

Because it covers massive swaths of land that often cover areas where people would like to conduct UAS operations.
2017-4-23
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-23 16:38
You only need to notify actual airports. "hospitals, heliports, and whatnot" do not need to be notified

Do I have to notify all airports within five miles of where I want to fly recreationally?

I stand corrected. I was going off of the official "Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft" document published by the FAA instead of their FAQ website. Their interpretation document as well as public law 112–95 make not mention of heliports etc.. Only airports.

Upon further reading into their interpretation document I see that I am wrong about there being no restriction for class B - E airspace:

"Accordingly, as part of the requirements for model aircraft operations within 5 miles of an airport set forth in section 336(a)(4) of P.L. 112-95, the FAA would expect modelers operating model aircraft in
airspace covered by §§ 91.126 through 91.135 and part 73 to obtain authorization from air traffic control prior to operating" ( §§ 91.126 through 91.135 and part 73 discuss B - E airspace)
2017-4-23
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-23 16:34

The FAA requires recreational fliers to notify any airport within five miles of where you're flying regardless of the airspace / airport size.

"For instance, do you really need an approval even when you are flying around 20ft AGL?

Yes, the altitude doesn't matter."

For instance, is it illegal to drive 1 mph over the speed limit?

Yes.... technically it is, but the cops (or the FAA) have much more important things to worry about.
2017-4-23
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

geofox784 Posted at 2017-4-23 17:43
"For instance, do you really need an approval even when you are flying around 20ft AGL?

Yes, the altitude doesn't matter."

Yes.... technically it is, but the cops (or the FAA) have much more important things to worry about.

I agree, and perhaps I should have mentioned to the OP that if he calls an airport operator or control tower and tells them that he intends to fly 20 feet off the ground they're just as likely to be annoyed as they are appreciative, because that seems to be what happens a lot.
2017-4-23
Use props
Mavic Jim
lvl.1
Flight distance : 127697 ft
United States

I recommend you become familiar with the FAA website:  https://www.faa.gov/uas  It lays out all the details of where/when/how you can fly for fun.  The rules are different for recreational vice Part 107 flyers.  However, nobody is authorized to fly in any Class A,B,C, D, E airspace without proper clearance ie certificate of waiver.
2017-4-23
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
United States

Mavic Jim Posted at 2017-4-23 18:12
I recommend you become familiar with the FAA website:  https://www.faa.gov/uas  It lays out all the details of where/when/how you can fly for fun.  The rules are different for recreational vice Part 107 flyers.  However, nobody is authorized to fly in any Class A,B,C, D, E airspace without proper clearance ie certificate of waiver.

"However, nobody is authorized to fly in any Class A,B,C, D, E airspace without proper clearance ie certificate of waiver."

That applies to 107 only. Recreational can fly within that airspace, but they need to notify the corresponding airport.
2017-4-23
Use props
Mavic Jim
lvl.1
Flight distance : 127697 ft
United States

geofox784 Posted at 2017-4-23 18:55
"However, nobody is authorized to fly in any Class A,B,C, D, E airspace without proper clearance ie certificate of waiver."

That applies to 107 only. Recreational can fly within that airspace, but they need to notify the corresponding airport.

Sorry, you are correct.
2017-4-24
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Are you saying your house is not within this kind of airspace?  I think anyone in the USA would be hard pressed to not be within 5 miles of an airport and almost everyone falls in the above classification.  You would totally have to be out in the sticks to not be in the above classifications.
2017-4-24
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-24 17:28
Are you saying your house is not within this kind of airspace?  I think anyone in the USA would be hard pressed to not be within 5 miles of an airport and almost everyone falls in the above classification.  You would totally have to be out in the sticks to not be in the above classifications.

I'm not sure where you live, but there is PLENTY of airspace that is not within 5 miles of an airport, heliport, etc. within the US.

That said, flying within 5 miles can and should be allowed with proper precautions and notifications as-needed.
2017-4-24
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Gary Mac Posted at 2017-4-24 18:55
I'm not sure where you live, but there is PLENTY of airspace that is not within 5 miles of an airport, heliport, etc. within the US.

That said, flying within 5 miles can and should be allowed with proper precautions and notifications as-needed.

Maybe, but it is hard to find on Airnav.  It is almost like a challenge to find a small slice.

It is easier to look at actual aviation maps for this challenge:  http://www.iflightplanner.com/AviationCharts/

Good luck if you want to take that challenge on.  A lot of them are private or heli pads though.  Mountains are the most likely to meet that criteria.
2017-4-24
Use props
fans61571660
New
United States

Well, it's because where I live fall in the airspace D category, and I would like to film some of amateur sport games.
2017-4-25
Use props
fans61571660
New
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-23 16:34

I contacted the local ATC and they asked me to send a request doc covering all the details.
In a similar situation but a different location (Los Angeles, CA), all my friend had to was simply call the ATC and notify them of this flights. He was not asked to provide any kind of doc. I would really hate to submit the request doc every flight...
2017-4-25
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-24 17:28

Xman1, I am in the STICKS lolllllllll
2017-4-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

fans61571660 Posted at 2017-4-25 14:25
I contacted the local ATC and they asked me to send a request doc covering all the details.
In a similar situation but a different location (Los Angeles, CA), all my friend had to was simply call the ATC and notify them of this flights. He was not asked to provide any kind of doc. I would really hate to submit the request doc every flight...

I contacted the local ATC and they asked me to send a request doc covering all the details . . . I would really hate to submit the request doc every flight...

Specifically what information did they ask for and how are you supposed to send it? Email? Fax? Something else?

Depending upon where you plan to fly, you might try AirMap. I haven't used it myself and have heard mixed reviews from people who have, but apparently they're trying to make the notification process easier.

Also, if you're mostly or always flying in class G airspace you may even want to consider getting a 107 certification, because 107 pilots don't need to provide notification for class G.
2017-4-26
Use props
No1much
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143878 ft
United States

I live in class D airspace, and it covers the majority of the town. However, all it took for me was calling the control tower guys at some numbers I found on the airport websites, and leavng them a message saying I intended to fly a Mavic at 400 feet or lower for half an hour to an hour at some point in mid to late afternoon most weekdays around [my address], and if there was something they'd want me to do differently or not at all, please let me know.

They seemed fine with it. I get the feeling that unless you're unlucky with your airport guys, they'll be willing to talk things out if you make sure to express your interest in doing this safely so you can fly without being a problem to them.
2017-4-26
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

On the contrary, there are numerous legit reasons to fly in some airspaces. I often fly within a class D space.  Mainly shooting tripod photos for groups (in a park) or doing building shoots. I am seldom over 50 feet AGL and well below nearby buildings.  The local airport is on the edge of town and the 5-mile radius covers most of downtown.  Of course traffic patterns are away from town.  There is also a hospital heliport about a mile away.  I always contact the ATC at the airport and have only been cautioned once  - a day before a scheduled airshow.

BTW, I was never able to successfully contact the hospital heliport.
2017-4-26
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-26 03:21
I contacted the local ATC and they asked me to send a request doc covering all the details . . . I would really hate to submit the request doc every flight...

Specifically what information did they ask for and how are you supposed to send it? Email? Fax? Something else?

DroneFlying - Thanks for the tip on AirMap.  I've also heard that FAA is interested in establishing an automated method of permission/notification.  Don't know how long that'll take :-)
2017-4-26
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-4-26 05:21
On the contrary, there are numerous legit reasons to fly in some airspaces. I often fly within a class D space.  Mainly shooting tripod photos for groups (in a park) or doing building shoots. I am seldom over 50 feet AGL and well below nearby buildings.  The local airport is on the edge of town and the 5-mile radius covers most of downtown.  Of course traffic patterns are away from town.  There is also a hospital heliport about a mile away.  I always contact the ATC at the airport and have only been cautioned once  - a day before a scheduled airshow.

BTW, I was never able to successfully contact the hospital heliport.

Griffith, I fully understand your reasoning and do not find a problem with it , while I do have problems with
            pilots that want to fly like the airports don't matter or exists by flying far away from them at ridicules
            heights Then crashing for whatever reason and blame DJI --- In my opinion the airports RADAR has
            something to do with it if you get too close
FlySafe-FlyFree  
2017-4-26
Use props
Mustang1993
lvl.2

Canada

I'm hoping that they designate a NEW airspace classification just for hobbyists.   Like say below the tree line and not on airport properties.  This would in no way endanger manned aircraft.
2017-4-26
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-26 06:26
Griffith, I fully understand your reasoning and do not find a problem with it , while I do have problems with
            pilots that want to fly like the airports don't matter or exists by flying far away from them at ridicules
            heights Then crashing for whatever reason and blame DJI --- In my opinion the airports RADAR has

Skunkworx: Totally agree,  Radar is a very bad actor with respect to RC devices.  I would recommend everyone totally stay away from those sites. Military radar even worse.  In my younger years, I lived about 5 miles from a small Air Force long range radar site.  When they cranked up one particular radar, it's could be detected on every electronic device in the house - radio, tv, phones, sound systems  (especially).

2017-4-27
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-4-27 05:02
Skunkworx: Totally agree,  Radar is a very bad actor with respect to RC devices.  I would recommend everyone totally stay away from those sites. Military radar even worse.  In my younger years, I lived about 5 miles from a small Air Force long range radar site.  When they cranked up one particular radar, it's could be detected on every electronic device in the house - radio, tv, phones, sound systems  (especially).

Griffith, This is why I already mentioned about RADAR in a couple of my posts on other threads.
            Many people here on the Form ( Not All ) are under the impression that just because there Tx and Rx
            frequency signal is specific to there Mavic, That no other Frequency or signal can Interfere !!!!!!
                                              They are all DEAD WRONG !!!!!!
FlySafe-FlyFree
2017-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules