Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Vision and phone call. What happens?
5814 12 2015-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
michaeljbarry.v
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13671 ft
United States

this probably is a stupid question but,
What happens when your using the DJI Vision, your drone is in flight and you get a phone call, text or iMessage?
Should we be using airplane mode with the wifi switch on?

2015-3-4
Use props
mike
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

You could turn on do not disturb mode to block calls/texts while flying.
2015-3-4
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

since the vision app doesnt impact flight controls, at worst i would think you'd simply lose ability to view the app content (info, video, etc) but that the camera would still keep filming and the phantom would continue to behave normally.  then when your call or text msg is over you could switch back to the app running in the background.  worst case you'd have to 'reconnect' to the camera with the app but that might not be required.  i dont turn on airplane mode or turn off cell when i use mine wiht my iphone instead of my tablet.  then again, ive never gotten a call or sms when flying either.
2015-3-4
Use props
SavannahQuad
lvl.2

United States

I use Airplane mode with the Wifi turned on, just because I don't want to be disturbed.   Leave me a message, I'm flying!
2015-3-4
Use props
michaeljbarry.v
lvl.1
United States

Thank you all for your quick replies they are much appreciated.
Good to know we're not going to fall from the sky.
2015-3-4
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

Doesn't do anything.  App still runs in the background.  I have even answered the call put it on speaker, then double clicked the home button to allow me to open the vision app back up.  I have run the vision app while actually talking on the phone with no problem.  Keep in mind the vision app does not control the quad in any way.  It only controls the camera.  The radio has control over the quad at all times so even if your vision app crashes the quad will not be effected.  Even when running waypoints the app itself is used to do the programming but once you hit go the Quad is not controlled by the app.  It has the programming in its memory.  
2015-3-4
Use props
michaeljbarry
lvl.1
United States

gary.ok@hotmail Posted at 2015-3-4 22:33
Doesn't do anything.  App still runs in the background.  I have even answered the call put it on spe ...

Thank you!
Hidden fear of mine being a newbie.
2015-3-4
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just got one yesterday while flying - I switched to ATTI mode just to be certain I had perfect control (quad was near me), answered the phone and told the wifey I was landing it before I talked further.

But, yeah, it does not disturb anything in normal flight....not sure what happens if flying autonomously, but probably nothing.
2015-3-4
Use props
Guy
lvl.4

Australia

On the darker side....

Let's hope the Law Makers don't make it a crime to use the phone while flying like using the phone while driving gets a fine and loss of points (In Australia) but the worst outcome is an accident.

Regards

Guy
2015-3-4
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Guy Posted at 2015-3-5 11:03
On the lighter side....

Let's hope the Law Makers don't make it a crime to use the phone while flyi ...

Guy,
It would not disappoint me if they did and simply for the fact that while you're flying this drone or any drone for that matter that you need to keep your undivided attention on it while flying it to ensure that you are not distracted or by being distracted put anybody else potentially in harms way.
I sure as hell don't want someone's flying blender coming at me because they were distracted with a phone call discussing sport scores or whatever on the weekend!..and I love sports btw!

I would actually prefer a software for that matter that automatically puts my phone into airplane mode, disables Wi-Fi etc. etc. that then requires me to reenable Wi-Fi only for the Phantom..
2015-3-4
Use props
Guy
lvl.4

Australia

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-5 11:26
Guy,
It would not disappoint me if they did and simply for the fact that while you're flying this d ...

I am Vision impaired (but not blind!) so I don't have any distractions. That's the way I like it. Some day I will get FPV and I hope that won't be too much of a distraction.

Regards

Guy
2015-3-4
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

Or,  you could just let go of the sticks and take the call if that's what you want to do.  The things just sits there. Are we really talking "distracted flying"?  Common.  I mean this isn't a jumbo jet full of people it's a unmanned plastic toy with the power to do harm on the scale of about a negative two on the richter scale. Hardly a flying blender. It's an ouch not an amputation and I can't imagine any reason in the world why it would take the utmost in concentration. You want put your phone in airplane mode so your not disturbed sounds like a great idea to me, I personally want to make sure my kid off the bus and got home safe.  A bit more important than a plastic toy. To each his own, but l guess I am saying lets not start suggesting things DJI can put on as handcuffs with these things.  As we have seen with the Washington DC area they can pretty much dictate how and when these things fly at will.
2015-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

while I will not recant what I statted earlier, I do not want to be handcuffed anymore or less than anyone else on here.
If I really thought I needed to take a call while flying I would use my iPad for the monitor and use my phone in hands free as I do 99% of the time..I just don't think the distraction of flying blind is worth the risk..thankfully my eyes don't close while I am on the phone.
2015-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules