12345678Next >
21450 298 2017-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
betonven
lvl.2
United States

Well, I don't know what to say anymore.

I received my second replacement (so third bird) Phantom 4 Pro. This one doesn't have the horrible vibrating gimbal of the previous one, doesn't give critical errors, doesn't fry while charging, so yeayyyyy! Well, no: in that, the horizon tilt is just INTOLERABLE. You cannot work with it. It starts tilted, it takes a few minutes to get it well, either by pressing C2 (works only some times) or also having to constantly rotate the dial. The green lines (horizontal-vertical) appear on the screen, but it literally doesn't tilt the way you want. And even if you manage to do that, after couple of minutes trying, don't get too excited, after a few seconds it starts to tilt away again, sometimes even without turning. It's like it's balance point is somewhere completely off the horizontal. I was aware of the horizon tilt, I had it in both of my previous birds, but nothing that bad, I had learnt to live with it. Here, it is just terrible.
I've done IMU calibration, I've done several gimbal calibrations, but hey, no luck.

I don't know what to say, I've never experienced that before, getting three problematic pieces in a row, each with different issues. I'm returing that for a full refund, and I'm probably done with the drone game for now. Sadly, I'm stuck with ~ 300$ of accessories, and that assuming that DJI will accept to give me a partial refund for the Care & Refresh I bought in the beginning, when I thought I was buying an impressive piece of technology and wanted to get the most of it with my peace of mind.

Any ideas/suggestions? Sorry but my time is not enough to hold on the line for 3 hours to talk to somebody that usually doesn't even know what he's talking about...

2017-4-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We do understand that is really frustrating for you, sincerely sorry for your experience.
If you have not returned it, could you please cool the drone for about 30 minutes firstly, then put it in a very level surface, insert the battery, power it on and start to calibrate IMU as quick as possible, then calibrate gimbal and adjust Roll?
2017-4-23
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-23 23:47
We do understand that is really frustrating for you, sincerely sorry for your experience.
If you have not returned it, could you please cool the drone for about 30 minutes firstly, then put it in a very level surface, insert the battery, power it on and start to calibrate IMU as quick as possible, then calibrate gimbal and adjust Roll?

Natalia, I did an IMU calibration as soon as I unboxed it. However, probably the bird was not 'cold' as there was a firmware update before. I'll try what you suggested, even though I'm not very confident.

Also, what's this thing about C2 button? Why does it only work 1 out of 3 times I press it to level?
2017-4-24
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Yes - it is a major problem for many. No need for me to repeat myself here, I mentioned it often.

Now here is something I realized and I would be interested if someone else experiences this.
I have always tilted horizon - but not when facing West. It goes from North through East to South.
As soon as I turn from North or South towards West it levels.
2017-4-24
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

betonven Posted at 2017-4-24 07:14
Natalia, I did an IMU calibration as soon as I unboxed it. However, probably the bird was not 'cold' as there was a firmware update before. I'll try what you suggested, even though I'm not very confident.

Also, what's this thing about C2 button? Why does it only work 1 out of 3 times I press it to level?

Put the drone in a cool place outside at night for 30 minutes  or if you are in a warm area stick in the the fridge.
Take out, fire up DO NOT UPDATE,  stay away from any metal etc., do the IMU on a 100% leveled surface. then shut/ restart and again DO NOT UPDATE, then do the AUTO Gimbal Calibration. Shut / restart and do the upgrade.

Do the upgrade using the app. let us know.

SAFETY FIRST - FUN SECOND
2017-4-24
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-24 14:21
Put the drone in a cool place outside at night for 30 minutes  or if you are in a warm area stick in the the fridge.
Take out, fire up DO NOT UPDATE,  stay away from any metal etc., do the IMU on a 100% leveled surface. then shut/ restart and again DO NOT UPDATE, then do the AUTO Gimbal Calibration. Shut / restart and do the upgrade.

Put it in the fridge???  Is that for real???

I've already done all updates since the unboxing. Are you suggesting to downgrade?
2017-4-24
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-24 14:21
Sorry - double post!
2017-4-24
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

betonven Posted at 2017-4-24 14:29
Put it in the fridge???  Is that for real???

I've already done all updates since the unboxing. Are you suggesting to downgrade?

Yes for real!...

And if you already upgraded and you don't have any issue or error from the upgrade that do everything else
2017-4-24
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

No worry... Am not counting...
2017-4-24
Use props
lienbacher
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1068337 ft
Austria

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-23 23:47

Dear Natalia,

since I am suffering the very same Problem and my drone was just next to me and cold when I read this, I decided to just give it a try. Switch it on, as soon as possible to into sensors menu and choose calibrate IMU. There was absolutely no change in the horizon issue.

Natalia, since I'm sure you have a P4P yourself, can you try this with your unit: put it on level ground facing a wall perpendicular so all lines are straight, switch it on, confirm the lines are straight on your screen. Now slowly tilt the drone to the left (so it would stand on only one skid) for about 30 degrees and watch the screen. I am very certain you will notice the camera tilting to the right. Now tilt the drone to the right, you will be able to watch the lines rotate to the left. If you put the drone back level, it will slowly go back level.

Please report back about your findings. Your help is very much appreciated!
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

betonven Posted at 2017-4-24 07:14

Please have a try and keep us posted. If still the same case, please provide me your DJI account, you can try to PM me, thanks.For C2 button, you notice that each time you press it?
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

lienbacher Posted at 2017-4-25 00:28
Dear Natalia,

since I am suffering the very same Problem and my drone was just next to me and cold when I read this, I decided to just give it a try. Switch it on, as soon as possible to into sensors menu and choose calibrate IMU. There was absolutely no change in the horizon issue.

For horizon issue, could you please provide me your DJI account (an e-mail address).
For the situation you described, we'll have a try tomorrow and get back to you.
2017-4-25
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-25 03:05
Please have a try and keep us posted. If still the same case, please provide me your DJI account, you can try to PM me, thanks.For C2 button, you notice that each time you press it?

I will as soon as I get some free time.

Can you please comment on the "put the Phantom in the fridge if you don't have access to cold weather"? I'm just worried whether it will be wise to power on the drone after it has been in the fridge (with condensation on the circuits, etc.).
2017-4-25
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

I did some research online about why the "COLD" is needed in IMU calibration and I understood that this is something that would help your drone to warm up faster after you turn it on. I don't have any issue like that, do I still need to go through a "fridge" cold calibration for my horizon issue?
2017-4-25
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

The fridge thing is not a recommendation by DJI. Some users think its a good idea.
I wouldn't do it. When it comes out the sudden rise in temperature can result in condensation (fogging).
Especially in regions with high humidity.
Instant temperature changes should always be avoided for cameras/lenses/electronic equipment.
2017-4-25
Use props
SM-17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 179288 ft
Netherlands

@eric13

Agreed 100% there are long term consequences to electronics.
2017-4-25
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

Yeah, that's what I thought. I prefer not to mess with anything. I'll do the calibration with the bird turned off and without a battery for 3 days, that's "cold" enough.
2017-4-25
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Well - the bird must be turned on for the calibration.  But you want to start right after it's on.

If you use a smartphone level app remember that the app itself must be cailbrated before - on a leveled surface.
I prefer a classic level over an app. Also because my smart phone is not completely flat on its rear side.
2017-4-25
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-4-25 14:09
Well - the bird must be turned on for the calibration.  But you want to start right after it's on.

If you use a smartphone level app remember that the app itself must be cailbrated before - on a leveled surface.

Haha of course, excuse my terrible English, how could I calibrate with the Phantom turned off?

I also have an actual level, I'd never trust a phone for that, for the same reason I cannot trust the Phantom
2017-4-25
Use props
bassistas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 355377 ft
Greece

Hello guys, I recently purchased a phantom 4 pro new from Amazon but I have the camera shake problem and the tilted horizon which is kinda fixed with the adjust gimbal roll function. Is my P4Pro faulty or it can be fixed with a proper calibration?
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

betonven Posted at 2017-4-25 07:29
I will as soon as I get some free time.

Can you please comment on the "put the Phantom in the fridge if you don't have access to cold weather"? I'm just worried whether it will be wise to power on the drone after it has been in the fridge (with condensation on the circuits, etc.).

You can put it in a room with air condition.
Besides, what your DJI account? can you PM me so we can provide you a firmware for upgrading? which may help for horizon issue.
2017-4-25
Use props
SM-17
Second Officer
Malta

@DJI Natalia

Since i am getting horizon issues as well with all calibrations done. Can you assist with a firmware to test. My mail is the same used on this forum

Thanks
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Dear Natalia,

I just got your message, sorry PM does not function well sometimes.
I've transferred your account to the engineers, please check it later, thanks.
2017-4-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

SM-17 Posted at 2017-4-25 23:51
@DJI Natalia

Since i am getting horizon issues as well with all calibrations done. Can you assist with a firmware to test. My mail is the same used on this forum

I failed to get your e-mail, maybe a system issue, can you please try to PM me? thank you.
2017-4-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Dear Natalia,

It has been done, please check it again and upgrade it.
Waiting to hear back from you for the performance after upgrading, thanks.
2017-4-26
Use props
SM-17
Second Officer
Netherlands

Thanks dji Natalia

I sent you pm with my email

Will i be able to downgrade to the current released version if needed?

Thanks a lot
2017-4-26
Use props
lienbacher
lvl.2
Austria

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-26 02:26
It has been done, please check it again and upgrade it.
Waiting to hear back from you for the performance after upgrading, thanks.

Thank you Natalia!

Just installed, rebooted and tilted the drone. I'm a little bit stunned, the horizon seems to be rock steady level with the indoor test I described earlier - put drone on ground with horizontal lines visible, tilt drone till shortly before gimbal limit, lines stay absolutely straight and I took my time to look for horizon shift!
I also did a short test flight outdoors. Full stick deflection left and right in P-Mode and Horizon stays rock solid.

This is truly amazing and very relieving for a horizon-pedant like me. This is fix is extremely appreciated!!
2017-4-26
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-25 22:47
You can put it in a room with air condition.
Besides, what your DJI account? can you PM me so we can provide you a firmware for upgrading? which may help for horizon issue.

Thanks Natalia, I sent you my account with Personal Message.
2017-4-26
Use props
Floreto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3591102 ft
United States

I have the camera tilting problem as well, new P4P+ less than 5 months old, I'd send it in to be fixed but I have no confidence that it's a problem DJI can fix and I don't have 2 or 3 months to wait to find out.    
2017-4-26
Use props
MassiTX
New
United States

Hi there,

Looks like this horizon tilt is not just what I have faced! I got my mavic pro a week ago and it looks like my horizon tilts when rolling on left or right. Here is a picture as well.
(https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... Gc/view?usp=sharing)
I guess I have the latest firmware as I updated it a week ago. Any help or idea?

Thanks
2017-4-26
Use props
lienbacher
lvl.2
Austria

Floreto Posted at 2017-4-26 09:20
I have the camera tilting problem as well, new P4P+ less than 5 months old, I'd send it in to be fixed but I have no confidence that it's a problem DJI can fix and I don't have 2 or 3 months to wait to find out.

Don't send it in Floreto. Seems there is help on the way with the next update!
2017-4-26
Use props
lienbacher
lvl.2
Austria

MassiTX Posted at 2017-4-26 11:17
Hi there,

Looks like this horizon tilt is not just what I have faced! I got my mavic pro a week ago and it looks like my horizon tilts when rolling on left or right. Here is a picture as well.

You may want to post this in the Mavic forum, not the Phantom 4 Pro forum ...
2017-4-26
Use props
Floreto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3591102 ft
United States

lienbacher Posted at 2017-4-26 12:25
Don't send it in Floreto. Seems there is help on the way with the next update!

That would be welcome as correcting it in post really isn't a solution I want to continue using.
2017-4-26
Use props
SM-17
Second Officer
Malta

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-4-26 01:08
I failed to get your e-mail, maybe a system issue, can you please try to PM me? thank you.

@DJI Natalia,

PM with my email sent Sent.
2017-4-26
Use props
Indio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

same problem :- (

DJI_0005.jpg
2017-4-26
Use props
UltraDan
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Natalia, please can you send me the horizon firmware update fix please !! I will pm you my email, thanks, Dan.
2017-4-27
Use props
UltraDan
lvl.2
United Kingdom

How do I Pm you Natalia?
2017-4-27
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

@DJI Natalia

Still haven't received anything.
2017-4-27
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

UltraDan Posted at 2017-4-27 05:26
How do I Pm you Natalia?

Click on the "Personal Message" tab below her name in one of her posts. It will popup a window and you can write there.
2017-4-27
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Wait.. So you got a firmware update that isn't available to the public yet and it actually fixes the horizon tilt issue?????????
2017-4-27
Use props
12345678Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules