Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Idea- How to fix OIS for Osmo Mobile
6852 15 2017-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
irfun4ever
New
Turkey

While running around the internet, i found a solution to fix OIS

try your own risk but this may help,
if you are tried and found this solution usefull, please share your video for us to see

2017-4-24
Use props
Zoti
lvl.4
Flight distance : 101526 ft
United States

This is something we have been talking about for a while. I just tried it with a magnet and it works.
2017-4-26
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

The worst thing is that the magnet cause your iphone's built in OIS not working, which isn't very terrible since most phones don't have them anyway.  Still, do it at your own risk.
2017-4-27
Use props
ComPH
lvl.4

United States

Removed by original poster
2017-5-8
Use props
jnam
lvl.1
Flight distance : 86112 ft
United States

This is a very interesting solution. It might ruin the OIS and the camera of the iPhone in the long term, but at least everyone's been warned.
2017-5-8
Use props
ComPH
lvl.4

United States

jnam Posted at 2017-5-8 21:40
This is a very interesting solution. It might ruin the OIS and the camera of the iPhone in the long term, but at least everyone's been warned.

I tried several different magnets, not only it didn't really work, the phones (I tried both the iPhone 7 and the Plus) started to run hot. I think the voice coil motors try to work too hard, as the external magnets screw up the functionality. It also selectively messed up the focus.
2017-5-9
Use props
BombHanks
New
United States

New Osmo Mobile owner here, iPhone 6s user. So we have to resort to using magnets to fix an issue with a poorly designed ios app? Seems like DJI could put some effort into making their app more robust.
2017-5-9
Use props
jnam
lvl.1
United States

BombHanks Posted at 2017-5-9 07:27
New Osmo Mobile owner here, iPhone 6s user. So we have to resort to using magnets to fix an issue with a poorly designed ios app? Seems like DJI could put some effort into making their app more robust.

This is not a DJI app issue. This is an OIS issue since it is "fighting" with the gimbal to stabilize the camera. If it's anyone's fault, it lies with the smartphones. Hopefully, future smartphones will have the ability to turn off OIS.

Here is a short list of smartphones that have OIS in the cameras:
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 7
iPhone 7 Plus
LG G5
LG G6
LG V20
Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge
Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+
Samsung Note 4 / Note Edge
Samsung Note 5
2017-5-9
Use props
ComPH
lvl.4

United States

I only have iPhones and my old Sam Galaxy S3 works well. Do all the OIS phones have the issue?
2017-5-9
Use props
BombHanks
New
United States

jnam Posted at 2017-5-9 09:07
This is not a DJI app issue. This is an OIS issue since it is "fighting" with the gimbal to stabilize the camera. If it's anyone's fault, it lies with the smartphones. Hopefully, future smartphones will have the ability to turn off OIS.

Here is a short list of smartphones that have OIS in the cameras:

I find on my iPhone 6s that there is jitter and jumps with the DJI app. It also crashes a lot. I see the 6+ but not 6s on your list. Thanks for the info, i've watched alot of youtube videos regarding IOS issues.
2017-5-9
Use props
namja
lvl.1
United States

BombHanks Posted at 2017-5-9 12:14
I find on my iPhone 6s that there is jitter and jumps with the DJI app. It also crashes a lot. I see the 6+ but not 6s on your list. Thanks for the info, i've watched alot of youtube videos regarding IOS issues.

Sorry I left out the 6S Plus. Yes, that also has OIS. The regular 6 and 6S do not have OIS, only the plus versions have OIS. But with the newest iPhones, both the 7 and the 7 Plus have OIS.

And yes, all smartphones with OIS will have this issue, perhaps in varying degrees.
2017-5-9
Use props
ComPH
lvl.4

United States

Comment removed by author.
2017-5-10
Use props
ComPH
lvl.4

United States

I thought this was an interesting article:   https://petapixel.com/2016/10/11 ... mage-stabilization/
2017-5-11
Use props
ComPH
lvl.4

United States

BombHanks Posted at 2017-5-9 07:27

The problem appears to be an interaction between the gimbal and the much faster phone OIS. The OIS only moves one gram or less, where the gimbal is moving hundreds of grams, so of course the OIS reacts much faster to the same motion and as they both try to fix the same problem, there is a momentary over correction, causing a glitch, until the OIS catches up the incorrect motion and goes back to new equilibrium. I am assuming that Apple or any other premium phone makers will not change the way they go about stabilization for the few of us liking the gimbals. After trying many gimbals and apps, I concluded that all is well, as long as you move the phone fairly smoothly, say with the "Ninja Walk". By far the best results I got were with the Steadicam Smoothie, which admittedly is clumsy and hard to use, but there is no servo loop delay issue because it is an open loop inertial system. I will try the Volt when it comes out late next month, but I don't expect any issues there either. BTW, my old Samsung Galaxy S3 works way better in this respect (no OIS), in comparison with the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus (and I suspect most of the OIS based phones). The FloMotion One upcoming gimbal claims the problem is the latency of the servo loop and that their upcoming gimbal will have much tighter servo loop, and therefore not have that problem, but given their schedule slips, the problem might be harder than anticipated.
2017-5-23
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.4
United States

ComPH Posted at 2017-5-23 16:04
The problem appears to be an interaction between the gimbal and the much faster phone OIS. The OIS only moves one gram or less, where the gimbal is moving hundreds of grams, so of course the OIS reacts much faster to the same motion and as they both try to fix the same problem, there is a momentary over correction, causing a glitch, until the OIS catches up the incorrect motion and goes back to new equilibrium. I am assuming that Apple or any other premium phone makers will not change the way they go about stabilization for the few of us liking the gimbals. After trying many gimbals and apps, I concluded that all is well, as long as you move the phone fairly smoothly, say with the "Ninja Walk". By far the best results I got were with the Steadicam Smoothie, which admittedly is clumsy and hard to use, but there is no servo loop delay issue because it is an open loop inertial system. I will try the Volt when it comes out late next month, but I don't expect any issues there either. BTW, my old Samsung Galaxy S3 works way better in this respect (no OIS), in comparison with the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus (and I suspect most of the OIS based phones). The FloMotion One upcoming gimbal claims the problem is the latency of the servo loop and that their upcoming gimbal will have much tighter servo loop, and therefore not have that problem, but given their schedule slips, the problem might be harder than anticipated.

You will never see me doing the Ninja walk - I would rather rent a Ronin first.
If true, this is interesting and would explain a lot of the jittering I get with some Osmo Mobile shots, even with an iPhone SE with the focus locked...
2017-5-24
Use props
ComPH
lvl.4

United States

jeffbake Posted at 2017-5-24 10:31
You will never see me doing the Ninja walk - I would rather rent a Ronin first.
If true, this is interesting and would explain a lot of the jittering I get with some Osmo Mobile shots, even with an iPhone SE with the focus locked...

If you don't like the Ninja walk, you would probably really hate to operate Steadicam. There are several causes of jitter. Many have to do with the fact that either the phone of the computer cannot handle the data rates of high res high frame rate video. The load even depends on the actual scene. Unless the jitter synchronizes with the steps, it's probably not a camera or gimbal issue or some sort of software or networking issue. It is really very hard to tell without knowing other details and seeing the video.
2017-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules