Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does the DJI Goggle head tracking function work with the P4
9494 63 2017-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wpgubaru
lvl.3
Flight distance : 254646 ft
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-19 12:26
Unfortunately, there isn't an ETA at this time.

Your company sickens me. This is bait and switch which is illegal. We should file a lawsuit.
2017-6-20
Use props
armagan
New
Flight distance : 4082644 ft
United States

I am also in same situation. I still don't understand why supporting head track is taking so long. There are so many P4 in the market already sold. They must support fully from the first day!
2017-6-25
Use props
fans644aa462
New
  • >>>
United States

I have the Phantom 4 advanced and can't get the head tracking working for some reason even though it says officially supported...
2017-6-25
Use props
michal2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 217487 ft
Poland

It seems that new firmware, which has been released two days ago has enabled head tracking. I didn't have a chance to test it yet, but someone on a different thread confirms this

https://forum.dji.com/thread-99150-1-1.html

If someone can confirm this, please let us know.
2017-7-7
Use props
tokenbrit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

michal2 Posted at 2017-7-7 00:36
It seems that new firmware, which has been released two days ago has enabled head tracking. I didn't have a chance to test it yet, but someone on a different thread confirms this

I tried it - it works!
2017-7-7
Use props
michal2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 217487 ft
Poland

Yup, it works well, it even unlocks the -30° gimbal tilt and you can see the rotors. though I think it's in google-mode only.
2017-7-7
Use props
chiupolini
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1196755 ft
Hong Kong

Wpgubaru Posted at 2017-6-19 11:34
Only way to get hdmi is if you buy the module. The p4 regular doesn't have hdmi stock...

I have the HDMI module. Today I upgraded my RC from V. 1.6 to 1.9.2, and the aircraft to  firmware v 2.00.0106. Apparently they have to upgrade together for them to work. But then I find the HDMI module no longer output HDMI signal to my DJI Goggles. Downgraded the RC back to V. 106, and then 1.85. None worked and they could not even connect to the aircraft unless you use v. 1.9.2. I tried it also with another FPV goggles, i.e. Carl Zeiss Cinemizer and still no HDMI output. Pretty sure it is a firmware problem. Has asked DJI for help.
The new firmwares did not affect the connection between the controller and the DJI Goggles using USB cable. There is full screen view. But I have yet to try out if there is any improvment in the head control function compared with the old firmwares.
2017-7-8
Use props
TheMann58
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

michal2 Posted at 2017-7-7 00:36

With my Phantom 4 RC connected to the DJI Goggles via USB cable, only Head Tracking Gimbal mode works, with the ability to move the camera left, right, up and down by moving my head in the same direction.  However, when I select Head Tracking Flight mode on the Goggles short-cut options menu, moving my head left and right does not alter the straight forward flight path of the P4 as it should if this mode were functional.  DJI app is updated to 4.1.3 and the P4 is updated to the 2.00.0106 firmware version. Also, with my P4 connected to the DJI Goggles, I was limited to a maximum flight distance of 149 feet from Home Point.

FYI - Both Head Tracking Gimbal and Head Tracking Flight modes work as expected with my P4Pro RC connected to the DJI Goggles. However, there were other issues. First flight I had no distance limitations - I flew P4Pro thousands of feet from home point. On second flight, inexplicably, I was limited to a maximum distance of 149 feet from home point.  VERY BUGGY.
2017-7-14
Use props
fans2eb5276e
New
United States

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-7-14 05:42
With my Phantom 4 RC connected to the DJI Goggles via USB cable, only Head Tracking Gimbal mode works, with the ability to move the camera left, right, up and down by moving my head in the same direction.  However, when I select Head Tracking Flight mode on the Goggles short-cut options menu, moving my head left and right does not alter the straight forward flight path of the P4 as it should if this mode were functional.  DJI app is updated to 4.1.3 and the P4 is updated to the 2.00.0106 firmware version. Also, with my P4 connected to the DJI Goggles, I was limited to a maximum flight distance of 149 feet from Home Point.

FYI - Both Head Tracking Gimbal and Head Tracking Flight modes work as expected with my P4Pro RC connected to the DJI Goggles. However, there were other issues. First flight I had no distance limitations - I flew P4Pro thousands of feet from home point. On second flight, inexplicably, I was limited to a maximum distance of 149 feet from home point.  VERY BUGGY.

How did you hook up the P4P to the Goggles? I have the HDMI module and its connected with an hdmi to the drone. I cant see LiveView or do any headtracking?! I've tried to connect with USB as well and nothing happens. Only thing that works is HDMI input.. What am I missing?!

2017-7-15
Use props
TheMann58
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans2eb5276e Posted at 2017-7-15 14:06

How did you hook up the P4P to the Goggles? I have the HDMI module and its connected with an hdmi to the drone. I cant see LiveView or do any headtracking?! I've tried to connect with USB as well and nothing happens. Only thing that works is HDMI input.. What am I missing?!

If you have the HDMI module installed on your P4Pro Remote Controller (RC), you can connect the P4Pro RC to the DJI Goggles using either HDMI port, which will provide video output only, or you can connect using the supplied USB cable from the full-size USB port on the HDMI module (or the full-size USB port on the RC if you DON'T have the HDMI module installed) to the mini-USB port on bottom right-side of the DJI Goggles headband.

You MUST use the USB connection method if you want to use the DJI Goggles flight app, use head tracking, etc.

If you are having trouble getting a live video image to display on the Goggles flight app, check the following:
1) Have you connected the DJI Goggles to a PC or laptop using the USB cable from the mini-USB port on the DJI Goggles to a full-size USB port on your PC/laptop, started the DJI Assistant 2 program, selected the DJI Goggles from the main menu screen list of Connected Devices, and then updated the firmware to the latest version available (V01.03.0900 dated 2017-06-22)?
2) Have you activated your DJI Goggles using the DJI Assistant 2 app (this is a one-time activity)? Did you then get confirmation message on the DJI Assistant 2 program screen that Activation is complete?
3) After updating DJI Goggles firmware you are ready to connect the DJI Goggles to your P4Pro RC.
3.1) Attach USB cable from the RC to the DJI Goggles (no mobile device is now connected to your RC). Note: be sure the mini USB connector is firmly seated in the DJI Goggles USB connector on the bottom of the right-hand side of the DJI Goggles headband.
3.2) Power on the RC
3.3) Power on the DJI Goggles (note: the Flight app should start and after a brief initial animation graphics is displayed with sound then the live view screen should appear with flight telemetry data displayed.
3.4) Turn on Head Tracking Gimbal mode. On initial connection head tracking is not active; Head Tracking Gimbal mode or Head Tracking Flight mode is turned by getting into the DJI Goggles short-cut menu (slide two fingers downward on the touch pad surface on the right-side of the goggles, then slide one finger to the right or left as needed until Head Tracking Gimbal mode or Head Tracking Flight mode option is highlighted; then tap the Goggles touchpad with one finger to activate this mode.

Note: to deactivate Head Tracking Gimbal mode or Head Tracking Flight mode, highlight the option again in the shortcut menu and then tap the touchpad with one finger (while simple, this was not immediately obvious to me.  I was looking for a normal flight mode option in the menu, which does not exist).
2017-7-15
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-7-14 05:42

I found exactly the same this afternoon with my P4. Head Tracking Gimbal worked as expected in all directions. Like you I could not get my P4 to 'Yaw' when looking left or right, although looking up and down did move the gimbal up and down accordingly.

So looks like a bug in the P4 or Goggle builds.

I've yet to get into a wide open area to fully test Goggles.
2017-7-16
Use props
fans2eb5276e
New
United States

I have the drone hooked up and working now! Thanks man! But in liveview I can only go 50m max distance.. I dont see any options to change that either. I am using the USB connection to the P4P.
2017-7-16
Use props
fansa6056a08
lvl.1
Flight distance : 619042 ft
United States

Now that this is fixed with the Phantom 4... will it now work with the Phantom 3 Professional?
2017-8-16
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

Read the latest Goggles user manual. The manual revision is still 1.0 but content changed. See the table, you will find which function is available for which aircraft
2017-8-17
Use props
fansa176e567
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1398 ft
Australia

fans2eb5276e Posted at 2017-7-16 10:28
I have the drone hooked up and working now! Thanks man! But in liveview I can only go 50m max distance.. I dont see any options to change that either. I am using the USB connection to the P4P.

Are your DJI goggles still 'signed in' to your account?

I know that for the DJI GO app for phone and tablet, this 50m restriction only applies if your DJI go app is not signed in to an account.  Note from my experience being signed in does not require an internet connection to stay 'signed in'.  i.e once you have signed in with the internet you can then disconnect from the internet and it will still work

cheers
2017-8-18
Use props
Adolfo Quintero
New
Flight distance : 1795 ft
Colombia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-4-24 13:40
Snapshot from the goggles manual:-

With the latest updates of the glasses and ghost 4 if it works well. What is not enabled is the tripod mode
2017-8-24
Use props
fans722fb035
New
Flight distance : 5463 ft
Australia

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-7-15 16:53
If you have the HDMI module installed on your P4Pro Remote Controller (RC), you can connect the P4Pro RC to the DJI Goggles using either HDMI port, which will provide video output only, or you can connect using the supplied USB cable from the full-size USB port on the HDMI module (or the full-size USB port on the RC if you DON'T have the HDMI module installed) to the mini-USB port on bottom right-side of the DJI Goggles headband.

You MUST use the USB connection method if you want to use the DJI Goggles flight app, use head tracking, etc.

Great summary - thanks.

I have just purchased P4P and Goggles. Disappointed that I cannot connect via HDMI without a controller upgrade. I am considering purchasing. But a few points to check:

(1) I found the image quality on the goggles, which should be HD, to be low quality. Is this a setting I can change on the Goggles, or is this because of the USB connection?

(2) Is the video / image quality better with the HDMI cable (using the 720p upgrade for the RC)?

(3) If the HDMI connection does not provide all functionality, then why even include it? And if HDMI gives connection gives better quality quality images on the goggles then can I use a combo of the HDMI cable AND the USB cable at the same time between the Goggles and RC?

(4) Lastly... with all of this how do connect everything up so that I have one user use head tilt on gimbal (with goggles) and another fly using the Go 4 APP on iphone?
2017-9-10
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

fans722fb035 Posted at 2017-9-10 03:26
Great summary - thanks.

I have just purchased P4P and Goggles. Disappointed that I cannot connect via HDMI without a controller upgrade. I am considering purchasing. But a few points to check:

1. USB connection is only going to get you a standard video feed not HD, only an HDMI connection will get you HD at 720p.
2. Correct see #1 above
3. No, in order to see HD in the goggles you have to go in to the HDMI settings in the goggles and select that input effectively nullifying any USB connection you may have too.  This assumes that connecting both doesn't cause a fault that effectively shuts down the goggles for use.
4. You can't, unless you fly the UAV by LoS eyes on and the goggle wearer uses the goggles head track via USB connection.  
The only way you can work a dual setup is to hook up the goggles via HDMI, you have video and if set you'll have data input too, then use the USB for your mobile device on your RC to back up flight ops and std video feed.  Like it or not, the goggles were made for use with the mavic and they have been working to add it in to the other platforms.  You would think they'd have worked to make it operable across all platforms but for whatever reasons it is not.  However, they hold out that future SW updates will catch that up and make it work, we will have to wait and see for now.
...and yes, for the P4 you will have to buy and install the HDMI module and then update your RC to even start the process.  Also, they don't make this clear, but you will need an adapter that goes from standard HDMI connector to a micro HDMI connector to plug in to the module.  Conviently DJI sells one for about $5 bucks.
2017-9-10
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-4-24 13:40
Snapshot from the goggles manual:-

WOW, thank you for sharing that.  Saved me a lot of reading.
2017-9-10
Use props
fans722fb035
New
Flight distance : 5463 ft
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-10 15:32
1. USB connection is only going to get you a standard video feed not HD, only an HDMI connection will get you HD at 720p.
2. Correct see #1 above
3. No, in order to see HD in the goggles you have to go in to the HDMI settings in the goggles and select that input effectively nullifying any USB connection you may have too.  This assumes that connecting both doesn't cause a fault that effectively shuts down the goggles for use.

Wow. Such misleading advertising. I feel ripped off. The goggles essentially only worked in a half-baked way with the Phantom 4 Pro. But their website says they are compatible. I am trying to find a solution with support to potentially refund the P4P and replace with Mavic Pro (which is supposedly more compatible) . Not having much luck so far.
2017-9-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-9-10 16:01
WOW, thank you for sharing that.  Saved me a lot of reading.

When I posted that back in April, it was thought to be true. On the day the Goggles were released (20th May) the note mentioned was changed and head tracking no longer supported on P4.

BUT with firmware update for P4 (v02.00.0106) along came tracking, or at least Gimbal tracking worked, flight tracking not quite. In flight tracking mode the gimbal would follow the up/down movement on Goggles, but left/right would not control the yaw on aircraft.

However, with the latest firmware release for the Goggles (.1000) flight head tracking seems to be fully supported. Rain here means I can't get out to try this on my P4 & Goggles.
From the Goggles V01.03.1000 notes:-

"Added Head Tracking for Spark (with firmware v01.00.0600 or later), the Inspire 2 (with firmware v01.01.0200 or later) and the Phantom 4 (with aircraft firmware v2.0.0.16 or later and remote controller firmware 1.9.3). "

I think the RC V1.9.3 is a typo as the latest is 1.9.2 and no sign of an update weeks later.
2017-9-11
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

Understood.
2017-9-11
Use props
marpir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14908 ft

Portugal

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-19 12:25
You are correct, the P3S and the P34K cannot use the Goggles due to their solely WiFi connectivity. The Mavic connects to the wirelessly via OccuSync. The only P3 models that could use the Goggles are the P3A and the P3P when you install the HDMI module.

And the "P4" also need the "HDMI Module"????
2017-9-11
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

marpir Posted at 2017-9-11 08:39
And the "P4" also need the "HDMI Module"????

The P4 RC connects to the Goggles using the USB connection, and the goggles have some functional controls, camera settings, head tracking (hopefully all now working), and some of the intelligent flight modes available.

Edit:- Just as well the weather is bad, I hadn't updated my RC to V1.9.3 (was on V1.9.2), so the tracking would likely not have fully worked for me when I wrote above.  Just waiting  for some dry days to get out to play :-)
2017-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules