15186 24 2017-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SimonCo
New
Flight distance : 325394 ft
France

Hi,

I had troubles this afternoon with my Mavic Pro I never had before, I took some pictures and most of them with dense forest are blurry or not clear at all. (link: http://imgur.com/a/5YgvF)
Is this a setup problem? A problem with camera physically? Or is it just normal?
I had a P3 Standard before and never had this issue...

Waiting for your feedbacks and thoughts on this
2017-4-24
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

This will happen when you underexpose the shot.

It's particularly tricky in high contrast settings like you found yourself in, here, as the camera doesn't seem to have a whole lot of dynamic range. I'm still trying to get a feel for the best exposure by following the histogram display, but I think the goal should be to keep as close to overexposure as you can without blowing out the highlights.

2017-4-24
Use props
SimonCo
New
France

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-24 14:53
This will happen when you underexpose the shot.

It's particularly tricky in high contrast settings like you found yourself in, here, as the camera doesn't seem to have a whole lot of dynamic range. I'm still trying to get a feel for the best exposure by following the histogram display, but I think the goal should be to keep as close to overexposure as you can without blowing out the highlights.

Thanks for your answer,

But in my case it doesn't seems to be that underexposed at all. It looks more like overexposure ?
I assume it would be better to take picture in manual instead of automatic.
2017-4-24
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

use DNG, will fix that, but you will need to process them.
2017-4-24
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

SimonCo Posted at 2017-4-24 15:33
Thanks for your answer,

But in my case it doesn't seems to be that underexposed at all. It looks more like overexposure ?

You are right overexposure. I usually check the still in AUTO and then adjust the settings manually to my liking. Take a picture, review it in the preview and adjust the settings and keep at it until it looks good.

SAFETY FIRST - FUN SECOND
2017-4-24
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

SimonCo Posted at 2017-4-24 15:33
Thanks for your answer,

If it was overexposed you wouldn't have had much in the way of dark shadows and all your high-key areas would be blown out.

Are these jpg stills or frame grabs from video? If stills, Nees is right in that you'll generally get better results with DNG RAW files, as DJI does some, to my eyes, rather aggressive processing with their jpg output, and underexposed areas can get all kinds of weird.

Automatic exposure generally works pretty well for stills, but when you have high contrast lighting it sort of falls down and the high-key areas dominate to the detriment of mid and lower-tones, then the Mavic's noise reduction kicks in and makes for a blurry mess.

Take a look at this article on histograms to see how you can use the Mavic's histogram feature to check on your exposure.
2017-4-24
Use props
SimonCo
New
France

Thanks for all your feedbacks!

I'll try everything you mentioned and see if this get better.
Any best software for DNG render ?
2017-4-25
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

SimonCo Posted at 2017-4-25 01:03
Thanks for all your feedbacks!

I'll try everything you mentioned and see if this get better.

I use Adobe Lightroom, but for casual or occasional use you could give this free, open-source tool a try: http://rawtherapee.com
2017-4-25
Use props
SimonCo
New
France

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-25 06:07
I use Adobe Lightroom, but for casual or occasional use you could give this free, open-source tool a try: http://rawtherapee.com

Got Lightroom, perfect. And indeed pictures looks better in DNG -> JPEG.
Gonna try it in strong sunlight asap.

And for video recording, do you advise anything ? I saw it's better to record as flat as possible for post-production. Not a fan of color grading.
2017-4-25
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

SimonCo Posted at 2017-4-25 08:55
Got Lightroom, perfect. And indeed pictures looks better in DNG -> JPEG.
Gonna try it in strong sunlight asap.

That's what I'm reading as well. though I haven't gotten to the point where I feel like I'm ready for DLOG or any of the other options. Only advice I can give for video is to avoid negative sharpening levels in lower light, which will only lead to misery. You might be able to get away with it in evenly lit super-bright locations? Trying that's on my list of things to check out.
2017-4-25
Use props
SimonCo
New
France

Alright,

Wanted to show you the issue I had yesterday not only with pictures but also with video.
This is stock 4K: (watch in fullscreen)
2017-4-25
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

SimonCo Posted at 2017-4-25 10:21
Alright,

Wanted to show you the issue I had yesterday not only with pictures but also with video.

Yeah, looks very much like some footage I took where I underexposed whiel trying out the histogram and manual exposure -- looked good on my iPhone, but when I got it home, ugh.
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi SimonCo, could you please upload the original images or videos to google drive or dropbox then send me the link? I'll help to check it.
2017-4-25
Use props
SimonCo
New
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-25 22:43
Hi SimonCo, could you please upload the original images or videos to google drive or dropbox then send me the link? I'll help to check it.

Hi, here is the link to a folder with original pictures and videos suffering from this issue: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lkbkb ... qqPSSeAXh8yTva?dl=0
Videos are in 4k.
2017-4-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

SimonCo Posted at 2017-4-26 01:20
Hi, here is the link to a folder with original pictures and videos suffering from this issue: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lkbkb ... qqPSSeAXh8yTva?dl=0
Videos are in 4k.

Have you tried to reset camera settings? Did you change the camera sharpness?
2017-4-26
Use props
b0n3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21083 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-26 23:24

Dear Mindy,

Could you please clarify situation with the camera blurry images?
A lot of Mavics affected by this problem with the focusing issue.
Also a lot of people on Russian forum complain on this paroblem...
WHY DJI STILL DID NOT INITIALISE A RECALL OF THE AFFECTED MAVICS???????
I am really angry about it {:4_142:}
It cause disregard to the company...and to it's politic..
2017-4-27
Use props
SimonCo
New
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-26 23:24

Already tried, resetted Camera settings to default. I mean this problem only occurs on dense vegetation. I took pictures in my garden/house/street later and every shots were good.
2017-4-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

SimonCo Posted at 2017-4-27 03:13
Already tried, resetted Camera settings to default. I mean this problem only occurs on dense vegetation. I took pictures in my garden/house/street later and every shots were good.

Sorry for my late reply.
I have brought this to our engineers for review.
Thank you for your feedback.
2017-5-3
Use props
DJI_camera
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Hi, Thanks for your feedback. We checked the photos and videos you posted, and to me they look just fine with good sharpness. Even in the shadows details of the trees are preserved as long as they are not completely black. Would you mind posting a screenshot indicating which region is considered blurry?

By the way, I would like to remind you that Mavic has an internal image enhancer feature which boosts the saturation to a more vivid and pleasing level. If you would like to see a more realistic picture, you may want to try "TrueColor" in the color setting instead of Normal.
2017-5-8
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

By the way, I would like to remind you that Mavic has an internal image enhancer feature which boosts the saturation to a more vivid and pleasing level. If you would like to see a more realistic picture, you may want to try "TrueColor" in the color setting instead of Normal.

Hmm, first I've heard that the "normal" setting is actually enhanced -- wonder if that enhancement causes problems in high-contrast lighting conditions? I would have expected "normal" to have no grading or enhancement at all. Good to know.
2017-5-8
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

SimonCo Posted at 2017-4-27 03:13

Hey SimonCo, were these shots taken during the golden hour by chance? Given Charlesetischer's statement about saturation boosting in normal mode I'm wondering if what we're seeing is actually an edge case where this "enhancement" is actually oversaturating our shots in certain lighting conditions?
2017-5-9
Use props
fans9a620c62
New

Australia

Hey Guys,
I have a DJI Phantom 4 Pro and when I take photos I look back at them after my flight and they don’t see clear, if anyone knows what’s wrong please give me some advice
2017-10-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans9a620c62 Posted at 2017-10-28 01:49
Hey Guys,
I have a DJI Phantom 4 Pro and when I take photos I look back at them after my flight and they don’t see clear, if anyone knows what’s wrong please give me some advice

Can you post the original photos here?
2017-10-28
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

They look horribly over-sharpened.  Are these proper pictures or are they screen grabs from a video?  If they're proper photos with the photo mode, are they shot in RAW?

2017-10-28
Use props
Jennam22
New
United States

Hi all, I recently purchased the Mavic a few months back.. and the images are SOOOO blurry!! They look extremely low resolution, yet I have it set on the highest settings / Raw. This is the case whether I am shooting in Automatic or Manual.. whether I push to focus or let it automatically focus... I am used to flying the Phantom4  which resulted in BEAUTIFUL images... and I know something is up. What could i possibly be doing wrong? Thank you... Jenna
2018-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules