3 DOA Mavic's and 2 months later......
1660 35 2017-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tron78
New
United Kingdom

Since my first DJI drone F450 back in 2011 I have bought and owned a number of DJI products and have not had any issues. This experience has drastically changed however with the Mavic.

Attempt 1
I bought the Mavic on the 27th of February from a official DJI dealer in Spain and was delivered on the 1st of March. The Mavic had a faulty lens and so was returned to DJI dealer, who sent me a new Mavic on the 14th of March.

Attempt 2
This replacement Mavic had a faulty gimbal unit. I sent the footage to the DJI dealer, who in turn made an RMA request at DJI. I sent the Mavic to DJI in the Netherlands, which was received (signed for on the 23rd of March CAS-519320-Y3X5P8). As you only get proper priority if you have bought DJI Care it took over a week to receive it. I requested that it be sent back to me directly instead of to the dealer in Spain (as I also live in the Netherlands). This request was ignored and it was sent back to Spain, so I finally received the Mavic back on 13th of April.

Attempt 3
Here comes the kicker.... it still had the same gimbal issue. The gimbal issue occurs when you tilt the Mavic. Apparently this test is not part of the quality control and DJI sent it back without having done any repairs. A new RMA was created (CAS-586399-H3D6W7) and it was delivered at DJI Barendrecht on the 20th of April. As a non DJI care customer it has of course not yet been received to date.

Meanwhile, the reason I bought the Mavic for (filming a charity event) has gone by and I still don't have a Mavic. I have stacked up over 50euro's in shipping cost which is non refundable. I find it very disturbing that a premium product (1599eur for a consumer drone is not cheap) requires a extra DJI care for any decent service.

My advice for future Mavic owners:
1. Be aware the camera and gimbal are very iffy on the Mavic (search and you will find a lot of forums filled with gimbal/camera issues)
2. Buy local... if there is an issue you can return it to your dealer physically without having to deal with DJI repair
3. If you do buy online, make sure you purchase DJI care or you will get crappy service.

Regards and good luck,

Trondur

2017-4-25
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15059 ft
United States

I am really thinking the people who ordered not long ago receives refurbished ones.  The first 3 months of Mavic on sale, there was a huge demand and a lot of faulty Mavics as well.  They probably got loads of it and just refurbished them and sell as new.  I'm lucky, I don't have any issues on mine..
2017-4-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans56a35a6c Posted at 2017-4-25 07:39
I am really thinking the people who ordered not long ago receives refurbished ones.  The first 3 months of Mavic on sale, there was a huge demand and a lot of faulty Mavics as well.  They probably got loads of it and just refurbished them and sell as new.  I'm lucky, I don't have any issues on mine..

I got mine from the first batch and so far hundreds of hours and all updates with NO issues what so ever...

SAFETY FIRST - FUN SECOND
2017-4-25
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

No issues here, im happy with my Mavic.
2017-4-25
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I would say the gimbal is a delicate piece of the Mavic, you say you are testing it by tilting, have you tried to fly it and take some film to see if it's working correctly?
2017-4-25
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-25 07:42
I got mine from the first batch and so far hundreds of hours and all updates with NO issues what so ever...

Yea, that's what I'm thinking.  If the Mavic was PROPERLY BUILT, you won't get any problems, at all.  And, we all know DJI rushed building these drones and a good percentage of it shouldn't pass their quality control and still went out in the market.  Hence a lot of faulty Mavics.  I flew my Mavic with my Litchi 80% of the time and have missions over 5 miles long and the bird came back in 1 piece.  I flew it on snowstorm, circled 20 ft away from cell phone towers, land in front of a police car ;) and do crazy things and still nothing wrong with it.  I wouldn't trade this for another brand new Mavic..
2017-4-25
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

Most of Mavic pilots are newbie and first time to fly a drone AND Mavic's gimbal is extremely fragile, so there would be a lot of complain from those pilots.
Mine received late Feb and does not have a single problem.
Just quick question, would you let people with driving permit to practice on 6 digits cars?
2017-4-25
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9413 ft
United States

Yeah, QC seems to be garbage....  

Sent mine in last month due to faulty gimbal/camera - out of the box issue, manifested on first flight (they should have sent me a new one, but apparently that's just crazy talk to DJI).

DJI replaced the gimbal/camera and sent it back to me - took 1 month, but I was hoping this would be the end of my problems.

Nope.

First flight after the 'repairs' and I was able to reproduce the reported 'camera/gimbal freakout' issue 3 times in ~20 minutes...

Of course they still won't outright say "Yeah, we will replace it since it's been defective since the first flight" - nope. They want me to send it back in again for an evaluation - at which time they will decide to replace with a new one or not.

If they don't send me a functional new unit this time, I will be flying a claim through my credit card company in the hopes of getting a charge-back against DJI.  To date, they've not upheld their end of our agreement (e.g. "give me a functional new Mavic for money") - why should they get to keep the money.
2017-4-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans56a35a6c Posted at 2017-4-25 10:37
Yea, that's what I'm thinking.  If the Mavic was PROPERLY BUILT, you won't get any problems, at all.  And, we all know DJI rushed building these drones and a good percentage of it shouldn't pass their quality control and still went out in the market.  Hence a lot of faulty Mavics.  I flew my Mavic with my Litchi 80% of the time and have missions over 5 miles long and the bird came back in 1 piece.  I flew it on snowstorm, circled 20 ft away from cell phone towers, land in front of a police car ;) and do crazy things and still nothing wrong with it.  I wouldn't trade this for another brand new Mavic..

First fly safe and don't do crazy thing because one day you are gonna run out of luck, you will have a fly away or worse end up in the news and then you'll come back like everybody else crying and saying that the MP is faulty.

Like Laceyboy said a lot of newbies don't respect the machine, don't read manuals, and when it goes south... complains that the MP is faulty, is not built right etc... and then give me a new MP.

Again, probably the MP sold millions and even if a few hundreds came back TRULY faulty that is a win.

I had to change my new Mercedes TWICE because of a defect, took it to the dealer more than 6 times for the same problem. Every industry will have defect. Now if you have thousands and thousands than YES the MP was NOT PROPERLY built...

BTW, I don't work for DJI, I don't get paid by DJI I only use their products almost everything except the Inspire and the heavy industrial one and if there is any problem I will be the first to get on their case.

2017-4-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MentalEcho Posted at 2017-4-25 12:05
Yeah, QC seems to be garbage....  

Sent mine in last month due to faulty gimbal/camera - out of the box issue, manifested on first flight (they should have sent me a new one, but apparently that's just crazy talk to DJI).

Keep your email receipt correspondence, record everything and then put your claim thru the CC. because the first thing that your credit card company will ask you is do you try to solve it with the merchant then you can yes several time and here is the proof.

Good Luck!
2017-4-25
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1100079 ft
Canada

The fact that you receive a faulty unit out of the box has nothing to do with pilot experience. I am at my fourth unit:
#1. I originally got my first one in November. Got gimbal issues shortly after. Resent the drone and got it replaced.
#2. The second one had the same kind of gimbal issues out of the box. Resent to DJI and got it replaced.
#3. The third one had a blurry lens out of the box. Resent to DJI.
#4. I am expecting the 4th one today, I can't wait...

This has been the most painful customer experience I have ever had. I know no company who treats their customers as badly as DJI does. They will never take the blame on them or recognize their lack of quality controls. Their help desk on the phone is clueless and costs a fortune if you have to call them long distance like I do. Not to mention the wait: last time I waited one hour just to get to speak to someone; 2 hours to get to speak to a supervisor.

By the way, I had bough the DJI Care refresh plan and still had to wait between 10 and 20 days to get my replacement units. I don't feel there is any kind of priority given to DJI Care holders.

Will my 4th unit work as advertised? Honestly, I doubt. For now, DJI always promised me it would, but never delivered.
2017-4-25
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-25 12:37
First fly safe and don't do crazy thing because one day you are gonna run out of luck, you will have a fly away or worse end up in the news and then you'll come back like everybody else crying and saying that the MP is faulty.

Like Laceyboy said a lot of newbies don't respect the machine, don't read manuals, and when it goes south... complains that the MP is faulty, is not built right etc... and then give me a new MP.

When I say crazy thing, its more of a how you fly it.  I'm not saying I'm an expert flyer but I can control these UAVs pretty good.  Thanks to my P3s, I learned how to fly prior to buying the Mavic.  

It's impossible to have fly aways on litchi.  Your mission is pre programmed to the UAV already and it will follow that program until the battery is low and nedds to RTH.

I am not that kind of person that come crying on the internet and blame its the UAVs fault.  I am more of pushing it to the limit and if I lost it, then buy another one.  No big deal.  I am on my third P3 already before getting the Mavic.  I don't even fix my first two as it is less hassle for me to buy another one.  Now, my P3 is eating dust as I use my Mavic all the time more because of portability.
2017-4-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans56a35a6c Posted at 2017-4-25 14:25
When I say crazy thing, its more of a how you fly it.  I'm not saying I'm an expert flyer but I can control these UAVs pretty good.  Thanks to my P3s, I learned how to fly prior to buying the Mavic.  

It's impossible to have fly aways on litchi.  Your mission is pre programmed to the UAV already and it will follow that program until the battery is low and nedds to RTH.

Pushing the limit where nobody can get hurt is fine so you consider circling a cell tower is being responsible flying. You know slamming into this thing could hundred of thousands and cell interruptions to how many people and businesses? Not forgetting criminal charges.

Yo can push the limit in open field away from people and don't get in the news because it will affect everyone and NOT only you. Be a responsible pilot first and then push it to whatever limit you want to.

SAFETY FIRST - FUN SECOND or PUSH YOUR LIMIT SECOND   
2017-4-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

vmich Posted at 2017-4-25 13:10
The fact that you receive a faulty unit out of the box has nothing to do with pilot experience. I am at my fourth unit:
#1. I originally got my first one in November. Got gimbal issues shortly after. Resent the drone and got it replaced.
#2. The second one had the same kind of gimbal issues out of the box. Resent to DJI and got it replaced.

I feel your pain... but I admire your patience...

Keep us posted.
2017-4-25
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

4 in a row, what are the chances. Have a hard time believing that unless they are sending out returns or something like that.
2017-4-25
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-25 15:00
Pushing the limit where nobody can get hurt is fine so you consider circling a cell tower is being responsible flying. You know slamming into this thing could hundred of thousands and cell interruptions to how many people and businesses? Not forgetting criminal charges.

Yo can push the limit in open field away from people and don't get in the news because it will affect everyone and NOT only you. Be a responsible pilot first and then push it to whatever limit you want to.

I am not that dumb...  You assumed when I circled cell towers, I am at the same height.  No, I am not...  I am at least 50 ft higher than the cell tower..  I hope you understand what I mean...
2017-4-25
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

That would really suck. I was lucky enough to get one with no problems so far. I don't have hundreds of hours on mine. Probably less that 6 hours total if i have to guess without looking. I think if I would have seen all the horror stories about the Mavic I would have just kept my Phantom 3 . It seems really strange that they push the DJI care for the Mavic and not really the others. When I bought my Phantom I was never asked about it. They must have known the Mavic was going to have problems
2017-4-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans56a35a6c Posted at 2017-4-25 15:36
I am not that dumb...  You assumed when I circled cell towers, I am at the same height.  No, I am not...  I am at least 50 ft higher than the cell tower..  I hope you understand what I mean...

I did not say that...You said it...  Just kidding   

2017-4-25
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Burmman Posted at 2017-4-25 15:43
That would really suck. I was lucky enough to get one with no problems so far. I don't have hundreds of hours on mine. Probably less that 6 hours total if i have to guess without looking. I think if I would have seen all the horror stories about the Mavic I would have just kept my Phantom 3 . It seems really strange that they push the DJI care for the Mavic and not really the others. When I bought my Phantom I was never asked about it. They must have known the Mavic was going to have problems

No, they knew a lot of guys with sausage boobs were going to buy. The customer is always right but behind closed doors, can imagine what they say.
2017-4-25
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-25 15:00

Also, you don't know where and when I push the limit, so don't judge.  I never said its where there are a lot of people, or properties that could be affected in case the Mavic falls out of the sky.  You don't even know how I push the limit of the Mavic whether its height, speed (not even fast) or flight time.  Well, it's more of a flight time.  I set up 5-6+ mile missions on Litchi and you don't know if it will come back or not.  I can tell you this, Mavic's flight time gets affected more with the wind than with P3.  Download Litchi app and try to do some 5+ mile missions and you will know what I mean. This is what I feel when you know it supposed to come back and there is nowhere in sight yet...{:4_117:}
But, seriously.  I urge everybody to try Litchi and once you mastered how it works.  Your footage will be more cinematic than ever..
2017-4-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans56a35a6c Posted at 2017-4-25 18:13
Also, you don't know where and when I push the limit, so don't judge.  I never said its where there are a lot of people, or properties that could be affected in case the Mavic falls out of the sky.  You don't even know how I push the limit of the Mavic whether its height, speed (not even fast) or flight time.  Well, it's more of a flight time.  I set up 5-6+ mile missions on Litchi and you don't know if it will come back or not.  I can tell you this, Mavic's flight time gets affected more with the wind than with P3.  Download Litchi app and try to do some 5+ mile missions and you will know what I mean.

Chill out man... you are going to have a heart attack at this rate.

I am NOT judging you but every time I point out WHAT YOU SAID, you get offensive and you mention Litchi. Do you work for them???

IMHO, I never and will never use any 3rd party app on any flying machine. This is me. That is why I also purchased the P4P+ so I can put the blame squarely on DJI if anything went sideways and they can't blame it on the phone, the apps or the tablet.

How about you do some YOGA, breath in and out, have a good night sleep and will talk in the morning...  
2017-4-25
Use props
fans56a35a6c
lvl.2
United States

Yea, man, I'm good.. Sorry for getting offensive..  No, I don't work for Litchi but I really like it..  I told some friends whose got Phantoms as well and they thank me.  It's like unleashing more potentials of your drone..  I only use Litchi for 2 things, Waypoints and FPV goggles. I got the P3 standard but it flies farther than Mavic or P4s with the Litchi App..  Hey, that's why I said

2017-4-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

This situation has filled me with regret, Trondur.
Really sorry about that. Could you please provide me with the tracking number?  I will help to escalate the case for you.
2017-4-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hope everything goes well. If you have any query about your aircraft, please feel free to let me know.
2017-4-26
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-25 15:23
4 in a row, what are the chances. Have a hard time believing that unless they are sending out returns or something like that.

I don't think they are sending returns: I had checked the production dates based on the serial numbers and they made sense. Plus, what would be their interest of sending out something they know is going to be returned once more? I think their rate of production flaws is very high, which is often the case for a new product in its early phase. But what is killing them (and for that matter) is probably their quality controls which do not catch these flaws and let these faulty units go to customers.
2017-4-26
Use props
vmich
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-26 01:48
Hope everything goes well. If you have any query about your aircraft, please feel free to let me know.

Hello Mindy, thanks for following up. I went for a couple of flights earlier today and this fourth unit seems to work OK this time. I'll keep my fingers crossed...
2017-4-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

vmich Posted at 2017-4-26 16:56
Hello Mindy, thanks for following up. I went for a couple of flights earlier today and this fourth unit seems to work OK this time. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Glad to hear that. Hope you enjoy your flight with DJI product.
2017-4-26
Use props
Jason WAI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

waiting for the next generation of Mavic Pro might be a better choice
2017-4-26
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1217520 ft
  • >>>
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-4-25 07:46
No issues here, im happy with my Mavic.

Darn this guy is everywhere!
If I had no issues with my planes I would be out flying.
Question: how do you have time to fly if you're always on the forum,  there are people here who has invested their money and have real issues. STOP POSTING FOR POINTS fanboy.
2017-4-28
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

laceyboy Posted at 2017-4-25 11:46
Most of Mavic pilots are newbie and first time to fly a drone AND Mavic's gimbal is extremely fragile, so there would be a lot of complain from those pilots.
Mine received late Feb and does not have a single problem.
Just quick question, would you let people with driving permit to practice on 6 digits cars?

Flying a drone is not rocket science a child can do it, & a lot does
2017-4-28
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-25 15:23

Very high ill be on my third soon
2017-4-28
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

Michael Kaine Posted at 2017-4-28 10:14
Flying a drone is not rocket science a child can do it, & a lot does

...and crashed.
2017-4-30
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Michael Kaine Posted at 2017-4-28 10:10
Question: how do you have time to fly if you're always on the forum,  there are people here who has invested their money and have real issues. STOP POSTING FOR POINTS fanboy.

Crying some more...
2017-7-31
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Michael Kaine Posted at 2017-4-28 10:10

Also Im only on this Forum when im at work...
2017-7-31
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

I regret to read on some of the issues reported with the Mavic. We do strive constantly to improve customer experience. Of course, if you have a concern,  you can always post on the forums and one of us will do our best to help resolve your issues.
2017-7-31
Use props
Socalrob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've had mine since last November and mostly no problems except slight gimble tilt which isn't a big deal to me. I do however have a little choppiness when I move the camera up and down. What is a good gimble setting to help with up and down stutter in the movement?
2017-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules