"Cell Broken" Warning
937 12 2017-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa8fa292d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 138192 ft
United States

So this past weekend I got this warning 17 seconds into flight.

I returned home, powered down, and reinstalled the battery and it seemed to be fine. Flew roughly 13 minutes with no warnings.

However after fully recharging said battery lastnight it shows that cell 4 is only at 4.22V, while the other 3 cells are at 4.30V.

This battery has only 7 charges on it.

Is this of concern?

My other 3 batteries all match up perfect in voltage.

2017-4-25
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

sounds like you could have a cell going bad
2017-4-25
Use props
fansa8fa292d
lvl.1
United States

Sprtbkrydr Posted at 2017-4-25 16:29
sounds like you could have a cell going bad

Thats what I'm afraid of.

I contacted DJI via email this morning but have yet to hear back.

This should be under warranty I'd imagine. the battery isn't even 2 months old and as metioned only 7 charges.
2017-4-25
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansa8fa292d Posted at 2017-4-25 16:36
Thats what I'm afraid of.

I contacted DJI via email this morning but have yet to hear back.

You have six month warranty on the batteries...don't delay!
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

If that kind of deviation is there after fully charging, then there's a hardware issue that would require for the battery to be replaced. The Support team will help with shipping as well. Just to clarify, though, do you notice any swelling or if the battery is malleable in any way?
2017-4-25
Use props
fansa8fa292d
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-25 19:08
If that kind of deviation is there after fully charging, then there's a hardware issue that would require for the battery to be replaced. The Support team will help with shipping as well. Just to clarify, though, do you notice any swelling or if the battery is malleable in any way?

No swelling at all. Battery looks brand new (which it pretty much is).

And now to make matters worse, I just opened a brand new battery purchased 2 weeks ago and it is completely dead!

No lights, can't charge, nothing.

I'm going to go to Best Buy this afternoon to hopefully get an exchange.

And being that I have the limited edition black P4, not all BB's have those in stock.

Good grief...

2017-4-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fansa8fa292d Posted at 2017-4-26 06:56
No swelling at all. Battery looks brand new (which it pretty much is).

And now to make matters worse, I just opened a brand new battery purchased 2 weeks ago and it is completely dead!

I'm not sure what their exchange policies are. Worse case, the NA Support team can help you out if Best Buy isn't able to.
2017-4-26
Use props
fansa8fa292d
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-26 07:13
I'm not sure what their exchange policies are. Worse case, the NA Support team can help you out if Best Buy isn't able to.

Thanks.

I've been doing some googling and this (DOA) problem I've just encounterd on the battery I just opened this morning seems to be a problem that others have experienced.

I'm thinking I should've just stuck with R/C trucks/racers. Never had these types of problems with the dozens of lipos I've owned.
2017-4-26
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

fansa8fa292d Posted at 2017-4-26 07:21
Thanks.

I've been doing some googling and this (DOA) problem I've just encounterd on the battery I just opened this morning seems to be a problem that others have experienced.

I couldn't agree with you more!

The R/C racers have standard Lipos that last forever, but they use some smart chargers with them.  No electronic stuff on the battery itself to disconnect if dead as with the DJI batteries where the charger can't charge if it senses nothing.  Cheaper batteries too, although some of the smart chargers are very expensive.

The DJI batteries sit too long on the dealer shelves and they become DOA to the new buyer.  Least generics can take a boost charge and get going again.

2017-4-26
Use props
fansa8fa292d
lvl.1
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-4-26 08:04
I couldn't agree with you more!

The R/C racers have standard Lipos that last forever, but they use some smart chargers with them.  No electronic stuff on the battery itself to disconnect if dead as with the DJI batteries where the charger can't charge if it senses nothing.  Cheaper batteries too, although some of the smart chargers are very expensive.

Yep.

I wish they'd go that route. It would be nice to have more control as far as being able to balance my lipos on demand.

And indeed these batteries are ridiculously priced if paying full retail. I wait till they go on sale at BB for $118.00.

I have the black version so to keep things matched color wise, that is my only option. Can't find the black ones anywhere else.

I am happy to report that BB exchanged my DOA battery. They had two in stock but now that have none.

The first one I unboxed at the store was DOA as well....

Not a good sign....
2017-4-26
Use props
fansa8fa292d
lvl.1
United States

Update:

So last night I drained the problem battery down to 15%.

I then put the battery in my hub and did a storage charge. The 4th cell which voltage was .08V lower than the other 3 is  now within .02V. (3.69V/3.69V/3.70V/3.68V).

This morning I topped of the battery and the readings are 4.30V/4.30V/4.30V/4.28V.

Could it be that this battery just needs a few cycles in it to get all cells in proper balance?
2017-4-27
Use props
Mr Pete
lvl.2
Flight distance : 404219 ft
United Kingdom

fansa8fa292d Posted at 2017-4-26 10:34
Yep.

I wish they'd go that route. It would be nice to have more control as far as being able to balance my lipos on demand.

Get a white battery and a black sharpie pen and get creative.
2017-4-27
Use props
fansa8fa292d
lvl.1
United States

Mr Pete Posted at 2017-4-27 08:13
Get a white battery and a black sharpie pen and get creative.

Ummm...What?
2017-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules