Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic in an airport
3479 25 2017-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NightAngel79
lvl.4
Flight distance : 750354 ft
United States

So, I'll be flying to England and Ireland for work in a couple weeks. Of course I want to bring my Mavic. UK doesn't require you to register drones, and I already paid in Ireland for registration.

My question is about taking the Mavic on the plane. I have this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... smid=A37AWEJ224JQ3T
And the smaller soft shell case here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pola ... 207.p?skuId=5714207

The hard shell is nice, but with only a basic latch I wouldn't want to check it, and as a carry on wouldn't be bad, but I will have a separate carry on already so not sure how practical that is.

The alternative is to put it in soft shell case, and pack that in with my luggage. At which point it feels more secure if I check my roll aboard, but doesn't offer as much protection from getting bumped around. I can pack the chrging cord in with other electronics of course.

I am trying to minimize luggage of course. I am flying to Paris, then switching airlines which means going through security/baggage claim a second time *if* I check any luggage. If I can avoid checking anything it would be much easier to switch carrier4s in Paris....

Thoughts or suggestions from anyone that has taking the Mavic on a plane???

Thanks in advance!!
2017-4-26
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Put all the charging stuff in the hold, carry on your Mavic and batteries like you would a camera, all will be fine.
2017-4-26
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

Batteries can't be in checked luggage.  If you try it, don't be surprised when your suitcase is all ripped up and your batteries missing because someone decided to take a look.

Rules:  http://www.airsafe.com/issues/baggage/rechargeable-batteries.htm

One thing I didn't see listed here is there is a maximum of 3 batteries total, 1 on the drone and 2 as spares.  This is the maximum allowed.

Also note the discharge to 30% or less for each battery to protect against potential fire.
2017-4-26
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have traveled from Ireland to U.K. With Mavic, I just use the small dji bag with 3 batteries and carry on over my shoulder , no problem they do ask on Irish airlines that you have your batteries depleted of power, you are also allowed to bring a camera bag as well as hand luggage on Irish airlines, are lingus or Ryanair .
2017-4-26
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-26 06:33
Batteries can't be in checked luggage.  If you try it, don't be surprised when your suitcase is all ripped up and your batteries missing because someone decided to take a look.

Actually 50 to 60% or less
2017-4-26
Use props
NightAngel79
lvl.4
United States

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-26 06:42
I have traveled from Ireland to U.K. With Mavic, I just use the small dji bag with 3 batteries and carry on over my shoulder , no problem they do ask on Irish airlines that you have your batteries depleted of power, you are also allowed to bring a camera bag as well as hand luggage on Irish airlines, are lingus or Ryanair .

Sweet, I am flying Arelingus (sp?) from Bristol to Dublin.
2017-4-26
Use props
NightAngel79
lvl.4
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-26 06:33

Great advice, I didn't even think about the batteries.

I may not check bags at all, just to make it easier to connect in CDG.
2017-4-26
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I'll look out for you in the sky enjoy.
2017-4-26
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

NightAngel79 Posted at 2017-4-26 10:07
Great advice, I didn't even think about the batteries.

I may not check bags at all, just to make it easier to connect in CDG.

There are still airlines that don't handle checked-in luggage automatically at CDG? Seriously? The last time I've seen this was ages ago - since then the only time I see my luggage on the way is at the destination (and yes twice I had to wait a day or two to see it because they misplaced it on the way).

As for the batteries - Mavic's are below the 100Wh limit so you can take as many as you want - I'd suggest draining the battery to one bar (so 25% or a bit less) to avoid any anal behaviour from security.

Happy flying ;-)
2017-4-26
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

I'm disappointed in this thread . I thought it was going to be about trying to fly the Mavic inside the terminal
2017-4-26
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-4-26 12:52
I'm disappointed in this thread . I thought it was going to be about trying to fly the Mavic inside the terminal

HA unless you want to get tackled by airport police!
2017-4-26
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

NightAngel79 Posted at 2017-4-26 10:06
Sweet, I am flying Arelingus (sp?) from Bristol to Dublin.

I would read this as, there is general info through the inter net but each airline can regulate differently best to abide to the exact airline that way if they have any questions you can reference that airlines policy.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel ... n/restricted-items/
2017-4-26
Use props
NightAngel79
lvl.4
United States

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-26 11:50
I'll look out for you in the sky enjoy.

You in Ireland? What part? We'll be staying in Malahide, so the castle there is a must.
2017-4-26
Use props
NightAngel79
lvl.4
United States

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-4-26 12:04
There are still airlines that don't handle checked-in luggage automatically at CDG? Seriously? The last time I've seen this was ages ago - since then the only time I see my luggage on the way is at the destination (and yes twice I had to wait a day or two to see it because they misplaced it on the way).

As for the batteries - Mavic's are below the 100Wh limit so you can take as many as you want - I'd suggest draining the battery to one bar (so 25% or a bit less) to avoid any anal behaviour from security.

The way travel agent explained it was Since I'm getting to CDG on Delta, then transferring to BMI airline I may get screwed if I have checked bags. May have to go through customs a second time, or at least check bag again and go through security.

Still on fence about just not checking anything
2017-4-26
Use props
NightAngel79
lvl.4
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-4-26 12:52

I titled it that way on purpose

Honestly I'm scared for my mavic, don't want the little guy getting thrown around in the soft shell case
2017-4-26
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Germany

NightAngel79 Posted at 2017-4-26 13:10
The way travel agent explained it was Since I'm getting to CDG on Delta, then transferring to BMI airline I may get screwed if I have checked bags. May have to go through customs a second time, or at least check bag again and go through security.

Still on fence about just not checking anything

Ah ok. That's really strange - as mentioned before I honestly thought this doesn't happen anymore. I think the last time this happened to me was in 2003 or 2004.

Anyhow - you can just pick up your luggage at CDG and go completely out and check it again. There won't be any customs anymore because there isn't any inside EU. Security check yes but at CDG it's usually not too bad.

Oh and I fly my Mavic minus the batteries in the fly more combo bag directly in the suitcase - so far so good, no damage ;-) The batteries go in lipo safe bag in hand luggage.
2017-4-26
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

NightAngel79 Posted at 2017-4-26 13:14
I titled it that way on purpose

Good old "click bait".
2017-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

NightAngel79 Posted at 2017-4-26 13:09
You in Ireland? What part? We'll be staying in Malahide, so the castle there is a must.

The castle in malahide is in controlled airspace, you would have to get permission from IAA you will need to present your sop and the chances of getting permission is close to nil, controlled airspace for Dublin is 10 NM surface to 26,000, uncontrolled you can fly without permission 400m VLOS 120 m height, you can fly in controlled area height 20 m.

I am in the north west of Ireland on the wild Atlantic way, where there is great freedom to fly many castles and beautiful coastline,

Malahide castle is very beautiful location, but more chance of a great golf course than flying a drone.
2017-4-26
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-4-26 12:04

This is incorrect in the USA.  TSA rules limit you to 1 primary and 2 spares.  3 batteries total.

Maybe this is different in the country you are traveling, but I doubt it.
2017-4-27
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Germany

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-27 06:31
This is incorrect in the USA.  TSA rules limit you to 1 primary and 2 spares.  3 batteries total.

Maybe this is different in the country you are traveling, but I doubt it.

According to FAA:

- batteries up to 100Wh - as many as you want,

- batteries 100-160Wh - max 2 pieces,

- batteries >160Wh - only after airline approval a/p regulations.

That's what I found here: https://www.faa.gov/about/office ... s_and_batteries.pdf

2017-4-27
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

Thanks for the correction.  Good to know I can take 4 batteries so I can have 4 on my hub.
2017-4-27
Use props
NightAngel79
lvl.4
United States

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-4-26 13:43
Ah ok. That's really strange - as mentioned before I honestly thought this doesn't happen anymore. I think the last time this happened to me was in 2003 or 2004.

Anyhow - you can just pick up your luggage at CDG and go completely out and check it again. There won't be any customs anymore because there isn't any inside EU. Security check yes but at CDG it's usually not too bad.

I figured no customs again since UK is in (for now) EU. Which helps...
Never been to CDG, so appreciate the info.

And I do think I will go with soft shell, sure as **** don't want to lug the hard shell around, or check it for that many flights and transfers.
2017-4-28
Use props
NightAngel79
lvl.4
United States

Guilty
But hey, you have to have an entertaining title right?
2017-4-28
Use props
NightAngel79
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-26 15:06
The castle in malahide is in controlled airspace, you would have to get permission from IAA you will need to present your sop and the chances of getting permission is close to nil, controlled airspace for Dublin is 10 NM surface to 26,000, uncontrolled you can fly without permission 400m VLOS 120 m height, you can fly in controlled area height 20 m.

I am in the north west of Ireland on the wild Atlantic way, where there is great freedom to fly many castles and beautiful coastline,

I did register with the IAA, but you are saying I need specific permission to fly by the castle? IAA site showed me a map of the area with zones to be careful in due to power lines and tall buildings and such. Didn't see anything too specific. But I'll most certainly reach out to a specific person if needed and at least attempt to get necessary permission.

With a little luck I'll get cleared, and if not I'll get as close as allowed and get some aerial shots.

Appreciate the heads up.
2017-4-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

NightAngel79 Posted at 2017-4-28 05:48
I did register with the IAA, but you are saying I need specific permission to fly by the castle? IAA site showed me a map of the area with zones to be careful in due to power lines and tall buildings and such. Didn't see anything too specific. But I'll most certainly reach out to a specific person if needed and at least attempt to get necessary permission.

With a little luck I'll get cleared, and if not I'll get as close as allowed and get some aerial shots.

Malahide is very close to Dublin airport, it is in controlled airspace, in order to fly your drone within 10 NM of Dublin airport you need specific operations permit, in order to get this permission you need to have commercial drone or SUA Irish license, I don't think Mavic will fly because of NFZ and geo,
Dublin is now the fourth busiest airport in Europe, if your staying in malahide you will realise this when your there, but a short trip outside of controlled airspace you can enjoy flying with many things to see.

You will see from aero map malahide is almost centre of controlled airspace surface to 5000ft, in controlled area CTA you can fly but height limit for drone is 20 meters and distance 60 meters.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=m ... grc=cdCw-mRQkTM1SM:
2017-4-28
Use props
NightAngel79
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-28 06:51
Malahide is very close to Dublin airport, it is in controlled airspace, in order to fly your drone within 10 NM of Dublin airport you need specific operations permit, in order to get this permission you need to have commercial drone or SUA Irish license, I don't think Mavic will fly because of NFZ and geo,
Dublin is now the fourth busiest airport in Europe, if your staying in malahide you will realise this when your there, but a short trip outside of controlled airspace you can enjoy flying with many things to see.

Yea, I'm seeing what you mean. I may rethink even bringing it... Malahide looks beautiful, and I may be able to get some footage by our hotel, not feeling very confident about getting Malahide Castle to let me fly.

Though I am staying the weekend after work, so I may get a chance to venture off and explore more of Ireland (hopefully). But I know I will spend a majority of my time in Dublin.
2017-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules