Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Fell out of sky
123Next >
8198 114 2017-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans464488b9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 311358 ft
United States

I was flying at Jacksonville Beach yesterday and had 87% battery life and I was 65' off the water and the Mavic just fell out of the sky.  I was less than 2000' away and had the quad in sight when it happened and there was nothing I could do.  The drone was lost at sea so I can't use my DJI Care Refresh so I was wondering what my options are.
2017-4-26
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

sorry man but here we go again... Download flight log, if you were filming post the video cache. What type of phone/tablet. Windy or not, firmware etc...
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.3
United States

I have the video and flight record.  Was using a iphone 7 and there was some wind.  
2017-4-26
Use props
jamesw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

These stories about Mavics disconnecting and crashing are getting a little out of hand.

People in the forum or DJI love to blame the operator but at the end of the day, a product that costs $1000 shouldn't be this easy to lose or crash.  Something is definitely going on with the product right now.

2017-4-26
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

Contact DJI supportand they will ask you to sync your flight log using DJI Go 4 apps. Also, to entertain drone masters on this forum could you upload your flight log to Airdata please? Could you think of any possible cause?
2017-4-26
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can upload your flight log to http://www.phantomhelp.com/Phantom-4/#DataLog
And post link here and some might give you some help.

There have been a number of cases lately of aircraft just dropping out of the sky for no reason, and dji have looked on these as malfunction at least one here lately.

You must also sync your flight to dji cloud and start a case with dji who ultimately will be the judge of what happened in your case.
2017-4-26
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 09:50
I have the video and flight record.  Was using a iphone 7 and there was some wind.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42B-l19Ms7A

Your incident looks very different from the recent cases of the Mavic simply losing power and dropping. The way your Mavic went down looks very much like it had a collision, a bird strike, or perhaps a prop failure.
2017-4-26
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-4-26 09:59
Your incident looks very different from the recent cases of the Mavic simply losing power and dropping. The way your Mavic went down looks very much like it had a collision, a bird strike, or perhaps a prop failure.

I agree, and I'd like very much to see the raw video footage instead of the edited / spliced production. In particular I'm intrigued by what appears to be the shadow of a large object that shows up near the end. Since it was over open water at the time I wonder if the pilot was filming something and collided with whatever it was.
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-26 10:11

I agree, and I'd like very much to see the raw video footage instead of the edited / spliced production. In particular I'm intrigued by what appears to be the shadow of a large object that shows up near the end. Since it was over open water at the time I wonder if the pilot was filming something and collided with whatever it was.

I'll upload the raw footage now but I wasn't filming anything.  I post a link momentarily
2017-4-26
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

There have been so many of these threads.Have any been resolved / received an answer from DJI will they get a replacement or what happened? In going to Hawaii in 2 day and plan on flying over the ocean. Not looking forward to this happening.
2017-4-26
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 10:15
I'll upload the raw footage now but I wasn't filming anything.  I post a link momentarily

It may have just been the tumbling causing the gimbal to point in a direction where it caught the edge of the aircraft, but as Jason said this case does appear to be different from the others.
2017-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 09:50
I have the video and flight record.  Was using a iphone 7 and there was some wind.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42B-l19Ms7A

It looks near the end of flight you were full throttle forward and full throttle down for a split second, looks like something jumped up and got it.
Tough break that.
2017-4-26
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-4-26 10:15
There have been so many of these threads.Have any been resolved / received an answer from DJI will they get a replacement or what happened? In going to Hawaii in 2 day and plan on flying over the ocean. Not looking forward to this happening.

I really don't think this one is related to the others because his aircraft clearly still had power as it was falling. Also, the replay shows it spinning, which strongly suggests the loss of one or more -- but not all -- motors / propellers.
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.3
United States

Raw unedited cache footage
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.3
United States

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 10:22
Raw unedited cashe footage

Cache footage
2017-4-26
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Wasn't a power out. Could have been a bird or motor went out, malfunction. If you upload the log to airdata can see the warnings.
2017-4-26
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

From the look of it, most likely one of the propellers, probably the L front one, lost. Thus causing it to roll to the left before it dropping on the water.
2017-4-26
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to be possible to make a definitive diagnosis on this one, but it definitely appears different from the others. Did you have any previous crashes with the aircraft that might have damaged the propellers?
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-26 10:29
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to be possible to make a definitive diagnosis on this one, but it definitely appears different from the others. Did you have any previous crashes with the aircraft that might have damaged the propellers?

This was a replacement unit from DJI and I hadn't had any incidents with it.
2017-4-26
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 10:29

Well, in any case I'm sorry this happened. Please do go ahead and upload the log as requested earlier as there's a possibility that that there might be something on there that can help. Unfortunately, though, without the aircraft itself it's likely to just be a guessing game.
2017-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-4-26 10:29
From the look of it, most likely one of the propellers, probably the L front one, lost. Thus causing it to roll to the left before it dropping on the water.

Does look like a prop problem, no power cut, and wind was very blustery also full tilt up and down.
Water looked lovely I would have went swimming.
2017-4-26
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 10:29

do you remove your props between flights?
2017-4-26
Use props
Fractures
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 10:22
Raw unedited cache footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0DX28sxRck

wow look at that tilted horizon! I also think it appears that you struck something but its definitely not provable or any hard evidence other than the way the  camera jerks.
2017-4-26
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-26 10:11

I'm intrigued by what appears to be the shadow of a large object

The more I watch it the more convinced I am that that's just the edge of the aircraft as the gimbal is tossed around while tumbling.

With the raw footage I was hoping to catch sight of a seagull loitering in the area or something, but as best I can tell there wasn't anything nearby. There does appear to be a sudden jolt near the end, but that could just be a propeller -- or part of one -- striking the aircraft. So at this point I agree with the consensus that some kind of propeller problem seems to be the most likely explanation, especially since you were throttling down near the end.
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.3
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-4-26 10:41
do you remove your props between flights?

No, I haven't removed the props since the first flight.
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.3
United States

Here is the Flight Data http://app.airdata.com/main?share=tCItHn
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-26 10:35
Well, in any case I'm sorry this happened. Please do go ahead and upload the log as requested earlier as there's a possibility that that there might be something on there that can help. Unfortunately, though, without the aircraft itself it's likely to just be a guessing game.

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=tCItHn
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.3
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-26 10:27
Wasn't a power out. Could have been a bird or motor went out, malfunction. If you upload the log to airdata can see the warnings.

2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.3
United States

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-4-26 09:51
Contact DJI supportand they will ask you to sync your flight log using DJI Go 4 apps. Also, to entertain drone masters on this forum could you upload your flight log to Airdata please? Could you think of any possible cause?

2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.3
United States

This Mavic was a repair replacement from DJI in California.  It seemed fine but I have gotten intermittent obstacle avoidance warnings when I fly toward the sun that never happened with my original unit.  I never take the props off and give the machine a good once over before each flight so I really don't know. I'm bummed out but have emailed DJI so we'll see what they say but i'm not terribly optimistic.  Thanks for the feedback.
2017-4-26
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Very routine stuff with no indication of any kind of problem in the log that I can see. Unfortunately I think you're just going to have to hope for mercy from DJI at this point. Good luck.
2017-4-26
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I lowered the speed to x0.25 and you can see the tilted horizon after you see a glimmce of the propeller flying away.

He was flying straight and the gimbal and video confirm that so there is NO WAY you would see the propeller from that angle unless they separated from the AC.

Maybe you will get lucky and more detailed data from the DJI analysis will show the warnings when the propeller separated from the AC and you will be reunited with another MP soon.

Good luck man...!
2017-4-26
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 11:14
This Mavic was a repair replacement from DJI in California.  It seemed fine but I have gotten intermittent obstacle avoidance warnings when I fly toward the sun that never happened with my original unit.  I never take the props off and give the machine a good once over before each flight so I really don't know. I'm bummed out but have emailed DJI so we'll see what they say but i'm not terribly optimistic.  Thanks for the feedback.

This might have something to do with the wind, it seems last turn did something to your compass, caused by the wind, you were flying in fixed wing mode interesting, haven't tried it yet. Logs don't say much more than that, if you want to check stick movements you need to use phantomhelp.
2017-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dronist Posted at 2017-4-26 11:48
I lowered the speed to x0.25 and you can see the tilted horizon after you see a glimmce of the propeller flying away.

He was flying straight and the gimbal and video confirm that so there is NO WAY you would see the propeller from that angle unless they separated from the AC.

He was in fixed wing mode, maybe something to do with that.
2017-4-26
Use props
Mojito
lvl.1
United States

I'm with frequentflyer  Good habit to run your fingers thru the props feel  for hair cracks . I need to make it a habit on my check.
2017-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mojito Posted at 2017-4-26 12:11
I'm with frequentflyer  Good habit to run your fingers thru the props feel  for hair cracks . I need to make it a habit on my check.

Always check your props before and after you fly...
2017-4-26
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-26 11:55
He was in fixed wing mode, maybe something to do with that.

I flew fixed wing mode for hours and you won't see unless you do a VERY HARD banking, I mean HARD...
Otherwise you would NOT see the propellers at all when flying fixed wing mode even when you bank up or down.
2017-4-26
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 11:14

Hold on! The log states you entered fixed wing mode. But the craft does not behave like it should during this mode. And a/p log:

00m49s - fixed wing mode with 9mph
03m21s - fixed wing mode with 11mph

So you entered the mode twice without leaving it? And as I said - this mode should look different when you're turning - you shouldn't have the horizon horizontal, it should tilt as if you were on a flying plane and turning.

Did you engage this mode at all? And twice?
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.3
United States

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-4-26 12:17
Hold on! The log states you entered fixed wing mode. But the craft does not behave like it should during this mode. And a/p log:

00m49s - fixed wing mode with 9mph

Yes, I accidentally hit C1 while flying but hit C2 soon after to terminate Fixed wing mode.
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.3
United States

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 12:22
Yes, I accidentally hit C1 while flying but hit C2 soon after to terminate Fixed wing mode.

The second time in fixed wing mode I stayed in it for several seconds and the final turn before the failure was a mild bank but I disabled it before that last altitude gain.
2017-4-26
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules