Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why don't we have yawn control of gimbal
3390 32 2017-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
14jnewmy14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452835 ft
United States

Ok so I just watched a video on the dji goggles, and it showed you can have yaw control of the gimbal while wearing the goggles. My question is, why can't we control the yaw of the gimbal with the controller or through the app? Why do we need to spend another $400- $500 dollars to do something the mavic is already capable of? Unless I've been completely missing something. Anyone got a answer on this?
2017-4-26
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Yaw control of the gimbal is available in the DGI GO 4 settings. You probably need to turn the rc and Mavic on and while on the ground, go through all the GO 4 app settings.
2017-4-26
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.4
United States

Jenee2,  thank you!
2017-4-27
Use props
PizzaFiend
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1489593 ft
United States

Yawns are not controllable :-)
2017-4-29
Use props
srg
lvl.1
United States

PizzaFiend Posted at 2017-4-29 05:54
Yawns are not controllable :-)

Clearly you didn't have my high school maths teachers. They could trigger our yawns at the drop of a hat.
2017-4-29
Use props
srg
lvl.1
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-4-26 21:44
Yaw control of the gimbal is available in the DGI GO 4 settings. You probably need to turn the rc and Mavic on and while on the ground, go through all the GO 4 app settings.

Anyone specifically know where this option is and how you control it?  Waiting for my mavic to come back from warranty service but can't find this option in the app.
2017-4-29
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

srg Posted at 2017-4-29 07:43
Anyone specifically know where this option is and how you control it?  Waiting for my mavic to come back from warranty service but can't find this option in the app.

Just go to Youtube and do a search for Mavic Pro Yaw Settings and you will find lots of videos on this.
Then have a read of the manual, Page 41 on gimbal settings in particular
2017-4-29
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

These are all settings for the yaw control of the aircraft, not the yaw control of the Gimbal like the PO was asking.  There is no settings that I am aware of that allow you to control the yaw of the gimbal separate tot he yaw of the aircraft.
2017-4-30
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

SeaComms Posted at 2017-4-30 03:26
These are all settings for the yaw control of the aircraft, not the yaw control of the Gimbal like the PO was asking.  There is no settings that I am aware of that allow you to control the yaw of the gimbal separate tot he yaw of the aircraft.

There is no settings that I am aware of that allow you to control the yaw of the gimbal separate tot he yaw of the aircraft.

I believe that's correct: the pilot has direct control over the gimbal's pitch and roll but not yaw.
2017-4-30
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.4
United States

Why do they allow yaw control when using the goggles but you can't do it without the goggles. Has anyone tried using a second controller that they are allowing  you to do now and can you control gimbal yaw control through that?
2017-5-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2017-5-9 14:45
Why do they allow yaw control when using the goggles but you can't do it without the goggles. Has anyone tried using a second controller that they are allowing  you to do now and can you control gimbal yaw control through that?

Why do they allow yaw control when using the goggles but you can't do it without the goggles.

That's a good question.

Has anyone tried using a second controller that they are allowing  you to do now and can you control gimbal yaw control through that?

I believe you'd have to have a specific setting for yaw control of the gimbal regardless of how many controllers are involved. It seems reasonable to think that they might at some point allow control by (for example) customizing the function associated with the right scroll wheel.
2017-5-10
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-10 02:52
Why do they allow yaw control when using the goggles but you can't do it without the goggles.

That's a good question.

Part of me thinks they only allow yaw control with goggles so you have to buy them to open that feature, I'd like to not think that but that's the only conclusion I can come up with. Since we all know it's capable now hopefully soon it will become available in a firmware update, like you say with the scroll wheel.
2017-5-10
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2017-5-9 14:45

Are we sure Goggles actually control gimbal yaw separately from AC yaw?
2017-5-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-10 07:17
Are we sure Goggles actually control gimbal yaw separately from AC yaw?

Yes, at least that's what all the reviews and the user manual for the goggles say about the "Head Tracking Gimbal" mode, as opposed to "Head Tracking Flight" where the user's head orientation controls movement of the aircraft itself. And at least one of the reviews shows footage of it in action.
2017-5-10
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-10 07:27
Yes, at least that's what all the reviews and the user manual for the goggles say about the "Head Tracking Gimbal" mode, as opposed to "Head Tracking Flight" where the user's head orientation controls movement of the aircraft itself. And at least one of the reviews shows footage of it in action.

If that's the case, then it sure seems like it would be easy enough to add a soft control in the app interface to control gimbal yaw. Interesting.
2017-5-10
Use props
Downtown
New
Flight distance : 33842 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-10 07:27

Can you post up the review? I'd like to see that in action.
2017-5-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-10 07:39
If that's the case, then it sure seems like it would be easy enough to add a soft control in the app interface to control gimbal yaw. Interesting.

In the Me section, there's a Feedback tab. You can make requests there.
2017-5-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Downtown Posted at 2017-5-10 07:39
Can you post up the review? I'd like to see that in action.

This was the first review I saw and is probably still the one I like best because it's so thorough. He first demonstrates the gimbal control at around 14:13, and then again later on when he's flying farther away:

2017-5-10
Use props
Asainz320
Captain
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Im with Ex Machina on this one. How sure are you that they are not just using a play of words to make you believe that the yaw movement will be from the gimbal and not the aircraft?
They can easily make the drone fly in a way that will look to the user thats wearing the goggles think that the AC is still flying the same direction while yawing the gimbal, when in fact the drone will be the one doing the yaw motion.
Im inclined to believe that with the goggles mode the drone will be the one yawing and not the gimbal since the gimbal on the Mavic has a very limited yaw motion range, it will just be automatically flown in a way that will make you think that the yaw is happening on the gimbal. Same way they make you feel you're flying a plane on the new Fix Wing mode.
2017-5-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-5-10 07:48
Im with Ex Machina on this one. How sure are you that they are not just using a play of words to make you believe that the yaw movement will be from the gimbal and not the aircraft?
They can easily make the drone fly in a way that will look to the user thats wearing the goggles think that the AC is still flying the same direction while yawing the gimbal, when in fact the drone will be the one doing the yaw motion.
Im inclined to believe that with the goggles mode the drone will be the one yawing and not the gimbal since the gimbal on the Mavic has a very limited yaw motion range, it will just be automatically flown in a way that will make you think that the yaw is happening on the gimbal. Same way they make you feel you're flying a plane on the new Fix Wing mode.

How sure are you that they are not just using a play of words to make you believe that the yaw movement will be from the gimbal and not the aircraft?

Very sure since I saw it on at least a couple of reviews and because it says so in the user manual. How sure are you that your Mavic really flies and that it's not just an optical illusion created by DJI to trick you into buying?

the gimbal on the Mavic has a very limited yaw motion range

Not as limited as you probably think, but you normally can't easily tell because it's not directly controllable by the pilot. Have you ever yawed sharply while in sport mode and seen how much the gimbal is able to compensate? Don't take my word for, it though: I'm just some stranger on the internet. Watch the videos and look at the user manual to see for yourself what I'm saying about the goggles.

Same way they make you feel you're flying a plane on the new Fix Wing mode

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I've flown airplanes and it takes more than a tilted horizon to make me feel like I'm flying one again.
2017-5-10
Use props
Downtown
New
Flight distance : 33842 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-10 07:46
This was the first review I saw and is probably still the one I like best because it's so thorough. He first demonstrates the gimbal control at around 14:13, and then again later on when he's flying farther away:

OMG! DJI GOGGLES REVIEW! All you need to know!

That's pretty neat! You can definitely see the gimbal moving sideways and not just up/down.  Thanks for the link.
2017-5-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Downtown Posted at 2017-5-10 07:54
That's pretty neat! You can definitely see the gimbal moving sideways and not just up/down.  Thanks for the link.

You're welcome. It's even better later in the video when you see him looking around below the Mavic while it's flying overhead. And yes, it's a great feature that I didn't anticipate when I heard about the goggles.
2017-5-10
Use props
Asainz320
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-10 07:47
How sure are you that they are not just using a play of words to make you believe that the yaw movement will be from the gimbal and not the aircraft?

Very sure since I saw it on at least a couple of reviews and because it says so in the user manual. How sure are you that your Mavic really flies and that it's not just an optical illusion created by DJI to trick you into buying?

I had to watch the video because by your response I thought I had missed something.

The yaw on the Mavics gimbal is very limited, you can also see this one the video. It has maybe like a 90 degree yawing motion. To do a bigger pan the drone will have to move.
2017-5-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-5-10 08:12
I had to watch the video because by your response I thought I had missed something.

The yaw on the Mavics gimbal is very limited, you can also see this one the video. It has maybe like a 90 degree yawing motion. To do a bigger pan the drone will have to move.

The yaw on the Mavics gimbal is very limited, you can also see this one the video. It has maybe like a 90 degree yawing motion.

The Mavic's camera lens has almost an 80-degree FOV, so if it's capable of yawing (by your own estimate) 90 degrees I think most people would say that's pretty good.
2017-5-10
Use props
Asainz320
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-10 08:20
The yaw on the Mavics gimbal is very limited, you can also see this one the video. It has maybe like a 90 degree yawing motion.

The Mavic's camera lens has almost an 80-degree FOV, so if it's capable of yawing (by your own estimate) 90 degrees I think most people would say that's pretty good.

Im guessing I was the one that has misunderstood this whole thing. I was imagining a greater yaw control and movement similar to an Inspire
2017-5-10
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Guess so the props don't get in your shots?
2017-5-10
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.4
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-5-10 07:48

If you watch the video its pretty clear that the gimbal is in fact moving by the user with goggles on moving his head and not the aircraft moving. It would then mean that it should be capable of moving without the goggles with a function on the remote controller or throuhh the app
2017-5-10
Use props
Asainz320
Captain
  • >>>
United States

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2017-5-10 17:50
If you watch the video its pretty clear that the gimbal is in fact moving by the user with goggles on moving his head and not the aircraft moving. It would then mean that it should be capable of moving without the goggles with a function on the remote controller or throuhh the app

You are correct. I watched the video afterwards and its clear that the goggles do have more control on the gimbal yaw than the remote, but only on the Motion Controlled Gimbal mode and the range of motion is very limited if you dont move the drone manually. The way I understood the description was that the user would have total control of the gimbal and aircraft without the need of the remote. To understand my point better imagine a mix between the Motion Controlled Flight and the Motion Controlled Gimbal modes, where you would be able to freely look anywhere quickly like the Motion Controlled Gimbal mode but with the extended range that the Motion Controlled Flight mode provides. I hope that makes sense lol.
2017-5-11
Use props
JaushG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 412106 ft
United States

I was messing around on wifi mode yesterday and I noticed (while the drone was sitting stationary) that if i hold my finger on my phone screen  and move it around side to side the camera moved side to side. SO we do have yaw control, not sure why we cant control this outside of wifi mode.
I've never seen any videos of people doing this though.
2017-5-11
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.4
United States

JaushG Posted at 2017-5-11 07:20
I was messing around on wifi mode yesterday and I noticed (while the drone was sitting stationary) that if i hold my finger on my phone screen  and move it around side to side the camera moved side to side. SO we do have yaw control, not sure why we cant control this outside of wifi mode.
I've never seen any videos of people doing this though.

That would make sense I guess, aren't the goggles connected via wifi? That's what I was getting at when I started this post, why can it be controlled with a $500 add on when it's capable of being done as is with what we already have.
2017-5-11
Use props
JaushG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 412106 ft
United States

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2017-5-11 07:23
That would make sense I guess, aren't the goggles connected via wifi? That's what I was getting at when I started this post, why can it be controlled with a $500 add on when it's capable of being done as is with what we already have.

I do believe the goggles connect with wifi. I wish they would implement this to the RC though.
2017-5-11
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

JaushG Posted at 2017-5-11 07:25
I do believe the goggles connect with wifi. I wish they would implement this to the RC though.

That would make sense I guess, aren't the goggles connected via wifi?

No, the goggles use DJI's OcuSync; their effective range would be severely limited if wifi was used for communication between the aircraft and the goggles.
2017-5-11
Use props
nobodysz
lvl.1

Hong Kong

good   ...
2018-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules