Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Video image flickering
3050 11 2017-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
didier74
New

France

hi everybody,

As a bebop2 owner, i had planned to switch to Mavic to improve video quality.
The problem is any video i watch on youtube has this flickering problem, like if light was going on and off  on parts of the screen (wonder if these are the right words).

Could you please give me your opinion on this ? Is there a way to fix this problem, or do you all live with it?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Didier.
2017-4-27
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Always post videos of what you are talking about so we can evaluate. Also provide what type of phone/tablet and FW
2017-4-27
Use props
noipego
lvl.4
Greece

many issues with mavic image quality..flickering,artifacts,extreme NR,really bad compression and generally cheap camera hardware...even at ISO 100(actually any vallue higher than 100 produce extreme noise even in daylight) you have to set sharpness at +1 to avoid blur,causing more noisy image and so on...even if you care at the minimum of what you recording/shooting ,dont buy this drone. ofc the portability is great on the other hand,but better wait if you havent purchased yet,maybe dji actually care about those issues and fix through firmwares.but from my point of view dji mostly care to release fast new product versions instead of improving the existed ones. anyway mavic is a really nice flying machine...for filming/photos is a big NO.
2017-4-27
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

noipego Posted at 2017-4-27 10:46
many issues with mavic image quality..flickering,artifacts,extreme NR,really bad compression and generally cheap camera hardware...even at ISO 100(actually any vallue higher than 100 produce extreme noise even in daylight) you have to set sharpness at +1 to avoid blur,causing more noisy image and so on...even if you care at the minimum of what you recording/shooting ,dont buy this drone. ofc the portability is great on the other hand,but better wait if you havent purchased yet,maybe dji actually care about those issues and fix through firmwares.but from my point of view dji mostly care to release fast new product versions instead of improving the existed ones. anyway mavic is a really nice flying machine...for filming/photos is a big NO.

Yeah, I have to agree with you on iso. It should have a lock for iso 100 in auto. But it's not that bad once you learn to manually do everything.
2017-4-27
Use props
noipego
lvl.4
Greece

thats the problem..you dont have many options in manual,cause most options case problems..only way is extreme sharpening & contrast, d-cinelike and iso 100...hell of noisy image and you have to aply noise reduction to get rid of noise and aliasing and then aply some antiflicker filters in most cases...and in the end all you got is mushed video that you shot in the middle of the day, while you were fighting not to overexpose and keep the proper shutter speed, otherwise panning looks aweful....pfff
2017-4-27
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
United States

noipego Posted at 2017-4-27 11:01
thats the problem..you dont have many options in manual,cause most options case problems..only way is extreme sharpening & contrast, d-cinelike and iso 100...hell of noisy image and you have to aply noise reduction to get rid of noise and aliasing and then aply some antiflicker filters in most cases...and in the end all you got is mushed video that you shot in the middle of the day, while you were fighting not to overexpose and keep the proper shutter speed, otherwise panning looks aweful....pfff

Seen good footage off the newer firmware so I'm not sure that's true. I still run older firmware and I like what I get 4k 30. Here's some recent raw footage flew http://bit.ly/2p8kpqt

You can see second flight, where my friend flew it, he doesn't even know how to focus but it still looks good. It's all about keeping it on manual. Night shots are where it's tricky cause you really can't move the iso without introducing a lot of noise. What I found anyway.
2017-4-27
Use props
noipego
lvl.4
Greece

i just really hope dji try and fix mavic's image quality( from my experience firmwares and good coding can do miracles) cause its a shame to have worst image qiality than a gopro phantom2
2017-4-27
Use props
didier74
New

France

Thanks to everyone for your answers.
I can see I am not the only one not to be fully satisfied with the video quality, and I guess I am going to wait until I buy a new drone for now. phantom 4, which is too big for my use anyway has the same flickering problem too, to my opinion.
I have no Wi-Fi connection for a few days I will post the link of what I think to be more precise as requested.
thank you again for your devices
2017-4-28
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

noipego Posted at 2017-4-27 10:46

Always post videos of what you are talking about so we can evaluate. Also provide what type of phone/tablet and FW
2017-4-28
Use props
noipego
lvl.4
Greece

the OP is talking about all the footage/posts he has watched around the forums... tbh there are lots of them and is clear that mavic has some serious issues delivering clear image. i haven't noticed any defference between firmwares and i dont know how the phone/tablet could affect the files that are written in the sd card. i have posted here ,but eventually some ppl here informed me that high framerates is for  FPV only (maybe im crazy but shouldn't that been stated in the manual?)....and ofc all the other issues that have been mentioned already that appear in any resolution/fps. This drone needs a serious firmware update or a camera system replacement.
2017-4-29
Use props
Haruuj
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-27 11:12
Seen good footage off the newer firmware so I'm not sure that's true. I still run older firmware and I like what I get 4k 30. Here's some recent raw footage flew http://bit.ly/2p8kpqt

You can see second flight, where my friend flew it, he doesn't even know how to focus but it still looks good. It's all about keeping it on manual. Night shots are where it's tricky cause you really can't move the iso without introducing a lot of noise. What I found anyway.

HOw do you get such a clean image? Mine is extremely noisy.
2017-5-1
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
United States

Haruuj Posted at 2017-5-1 19:29
HOw do you get such a clean image? Mine is extremely noisy.

I fly litchi and leave the focus alone after it's sharp. The rest is playing around in settings.
2017-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules