Is the Phantom 4 still worth buying?
2101 11 2017-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
derekw2458
lvl.1

United States

I want to buy a drone that created good pictures and videos and I know there are a lot of drones on the market like the Phantom 4 and others, but im not sure if its the right one. Ive looked around a lot and I have narrowed it down to the Phantom 4 and a few others. I was wondering if the Phantom 4 would be worth paying $900 now after it is about a year old. Has the software been updated recently? And are there still any major glitches or problems with them? Any suggestions and advice is appriciated. Thanks.
2017-4-27
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As a suggestion, DJI sell refurbished P4s which come as new (apparently) and with full warranty for $799. As do some dealers (perhaps even cheaper ?).

My P4 still works well after a year, correctly set up it can produce exceptionally good 4k video that renders to very good quality 1080P if required.

Single biggest complaint appears to be 'tilted horizon', which can be adjusted in flight, whether it holds it or not may be another story. Personally I don't notice it too much
(stays level mostly for me), most of my video work is done in hill country. The most level thing I'll see is perhaps some lower level shots over Lochs.

Other than that it works well, the expectation is that a firmware update may give it some additional functionality (as mentioned in the new 'DJI Goggles' manual), there has also been a Beta release out for a while demonstrating a couple of these, terrain follow & tripod mode (also promised head tracking for flight & gimbal with said goggles). But this has yet to be released, so if this is important to you it may be worth waiting to see how this develops over the next few weeks.

2017-4-27
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

The standard P4 seems to be the best built and with the least problems, the software has been sorted although it was pretty good to start with, the P4P does have a significantly better camera but comes at a cost, still has a few problems and repairs are far more expensive, the P3 is cheaper but seems to have more problems, the technology is not as good/reliable and you are missing the obstacle avoidance and visual positioning both of which are worth having.

The Mavic is also worth considering, it is a lot more portable but it is not really aimed at photography/videography and the camera is not the same standard as the P4.

"I want to buy a drone that created good pictures and videos"
P4 videos can be really good, photos are good but not spectacular like the P4P.
2017-4-27
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-4-27 14:36
The standard P4 seems to be the best built and with the least problems, the software has been sorted although it was pretty good to start with, the P4P does have a significantly better camera but comes at a cost, still has a few problems and repairs are far more expensive, the P3 is cheaper but seems to have more problems, the technology is not as good/reliable and you are missing the obstacle avoidance and visual positioning both of which are worth having.

The Mavic is also worth considering, it is a lot more portable but it is not really aimed at photography/videography and the camera is not the same standard as the P4.

Which is why the P4A is a great sweet spot between the P4 and P4P, Nigel. It's easy to forget about the new boy on the block. If the op can stretch his/her budget to the P4A, I'd be recommending that.

Although the P4 is still a great drone - just currently neglected by DJI.
2017-4-27
Use props
JBinFla
lvl.2
United States

The P4 is nice at $799 refurb.  If twice the price didn't bother me I'd have the P4A for the larger sensor (and more pixels, I'm interested in aerial photogrmmetry and pixel count matters).  I bought the P4 refurb before the P4A came out and I'm happy with it.  Actually got some good results on my tests for horizontal precision of mapped features with Agisoft PhotoScan and some survey grade ground control (residuals less than an inch, which is approximately my control point residuals so "really tight" is what I got).
2017-4-27
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

JBinFla Posted at 2017-4-27 16:38
The P4 is nice at $799 refurb.  If twice the price didn't bother me I'd have the P4A for the larger sensor (and more pixels, I'm interested in aerial photogrmmetry and pixel count matters).  I bought the P4 refurb before the P4A came out and I'm happy with it.  Actually got some good results on my tests for horizontal precision of mapped features with Agisoft PhotoScan and some survey grade ground control (residuals less than an inch, which is approximately my control point residuals so "really tight" is what I got).

I got one the refurb models and it has done well so far.  Its a significantly improvement over the P3S I had before.
2017-4-27
Use props
Repaid1
lvl.3
United States

I recently (Last week) was sent a P4 at a substantial discount as a addition to my "Fleet" I have a P3P (2 years) and a Mavic 3+ months. In my personal opinion considering what is out there. the P3P is the best bang for the buck going right now. Sure the P4 has improved optics and a couple of bells a whistles, but to me the P3P is the Aircraft someone entering right now that wants a Great aircraft and great video should be starting with.  At right around $500 on some sales it's just a perfect aircraft for what it does. You would have to be a hard pressed Photog to discern video from either. Again having both that's my view. Adding that the Go 3 is tried and true and the Go4 is still taking babysteps with issues. ;)
2017-4-28
Use props
Jcostello
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1861490 ft

United Kingdom

P4s a great bit of kit mate.........ive just logged 200 miles on mine an thats nothing to some of the guys on here
2017-4-28
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Jcostello Posted at 2017-4-28 11:58
P4s a great bit of kit mate.........ive just logged 200 miles on mine an thats nothing to some of the guys on here

Me too!! I have a P4P but still fly my P4.. She taught me all I needed and is still used at least once or twice a week.. Trying to get my girlfriend to start flying more..
2017-4-28
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

You better stock up on outer shells if you're going to buy a phantom 4!
2017-4-28
Use props
Fruxen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

I have a Phantom 4 but if I would buy one today it would actually be either,
Phantom 3 Pro, cheaper and with almost as good image quality,
or Phantom 4 Advanced, a bit more expensive than P4 but a clear step up in image quality.

On the other hand, if you look around you might find some nice deals on the "old" P3P and P4 but probably not on the new P4A and P4P, yet. With that in mind the P4A or P4P might be considerably more expensive than what the listing prices suggests.
2017-4-28
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.1
United States

Fruxen Posted at 2017-4-28 23:21
I have a Phantom 4 but if I would buy one today it would actually be either,
Phantom 3 Pro, cheaper and with almost as good image quality,
or Phantom 4 Advanced, a bit more expensive than P4 but a clear step up in image quality.

Have flown the p4 for over a yearn ow.. Missions include  Colarodo/Utah/Tahoe/ to the pacific ocean. Never had an issue.. Lots of flights over water...
2017-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules