Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Registering in Canada
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

Registered my P 4. With the Canadian government.  .( Exemption notification form )    On April 16
Their reply. (. Transport Canada has received your email.  We will reply in a timely manner.
  So far no response.  I am running out of time.       I was provided 2 phone numbers for  ( General Inquiries  )
  No phone message option.   No one ever answers the call ever !!
  Any advise.   I would like to take my drone with me.  Driving not flying.
2017-4-28
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

I  have finally figured out than a non resident of Canada. Would have to possess a SFOC certificate to fly.  Not wort h
2017-5-4
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

fansc62380a9 Posted at 2017-5-4 04:17
I  have finally figured out than a non resident of Canada. Would have to possess a SFOC certificate to fly.  Not wort h

I don't think that's the case if you are a tourist. You should be able to fly under recreational rules, restrictive as they are. But if you are doing commercial operations, then SFOC rules would apply.

No registration required for recreational use. But you won't be flying near most cities under our draconian recreational rules.
2017-5-10
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

Capo Posted at 2017-5-10 10:54
I don't think that's the case if you are a tourist. You should be able to fly under recreational rules, restrictive as they are. But if you are doing commercial operations, then SFOC rules would apply.

No registration required for recreational use. But you won't be flying near most cities under our draconian recreational rules.

It's my understanding that a NON RESIDENT.  Deffinaatly has to have SOFC  certification.
  Both Recreational and NON recreational.   
2017-5-11
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
United States

fansc62380a9 Posted at 2017-5-11 06:30
It's my understanding that a NON RESIDENT.  Deffinaatly has to have SOFC  certification.

If that is the case, our government is more messed up than I thought. This affects tourism in this country which is a big problem. I think I will investigate this more.
2017-5-11
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

As a Canadian, where did you get this information?  Transport Canada?  If it was the internet, what is the url?  Something about this smells fishy.

From Tranport Canada, for Commercial Purposes :

11.        I am not a Canadian citizen. How can I legally operate a UAV, for commercial purposes, in Canada?
As you would be classified as a 'foreign UAV operator,' you will need to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC). SFOCs are the primary means to work legally with your UAV in Canada and are administered by Transport Canada's Civil Aviation Regional Offices.
For more information on submitting an SFOC application, please contact the regional office that best corresponds with the region of Canada you intend on operating in.
For more information on Canada's UAV safety guidelines, please visit our Drone Safety website.

The above is the only mention of citizenship that I can find on the Transport Canada (DOT) web site.  It would appear you need SFOC for commercial purposes, not recreational.  
2017-5-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You've already had this explained in your other thread:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-92924-1-1.html

Your "understanding" is completely wrong.
You do NOT NEED an SFOC to fly recreationally in Canada
2017-5-11
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

Capo Posted at 2017-5-11 07:29
If that is the case, our government is more messed up than I thought. This affects tourism in this country which is a big problem. I think I will investigate this more.

Some say on the forum that I have to have the SFOC to fly  ( NON Recreational. ). Some say Otherwise  
  I must say there are a lot of contradicting answers.   
I would truly love to knot the TRUTH.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I leave on the 3rd of June.  Driving.     
2017-5-12
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
United States

fansc62380a9 Posted at 2017-5-12 04:32
Some say on the forum that I have to have the SFOC to fly  ( NON Recreational. ). Some say Otherwise  

I would say JW5255's post above covers it. That specifically says "commercial" operations. If those rules covered recreational they wouldn't specify commercial like that.

Another point I would like to make. Tourists are often given a mulligan on a lot of minor infractions in Canada as well that local residents wouldn't get, as they don't want to discourage tourism with horror stories over minor infractions. I know of a lot of tourists not being given speeding tickets for some pretty high speeds. I don't think you have to worry too much about flying your drone, as long as you don't do anything that is irresponsible.
2017-5-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansc62380a9 Posted at 2017-5-12 04:32

"Some say on the forum that I have to have the SFOC to fly  ( NON Recreational. ). Some say Otherwise  
  I must say there are a lot of contradicting answers.   "

Really???
I've just re-read both your threads on the same question and the only person saying you need it is YOU.
No-one else.
There are no contradicting answers, not any, none, zilch, nada, zip, zero.
You are the only one that has the crazy idea that you need an SFOC.
Take your drone and have fun.
2017-5-12
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

Capo Posted at 2017-5-10 10:54

I have received emails from TRansport Canada Civia Avation  the email address is
Service@tc.gc.ca.  I have taken a screen shot of the email I received. ( I sorry but I don't know how to post it on the forum )
So here it is.  The reply  verbatim
Good Day Mr Young.
Regardless if the use is recreational or commercial, all " foreign " operators must apply for an SFOC to use their drones in Canada
I hope this answers your questions.

I have typed the responce just as I received it.
2017-5-20
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

JW5255 Posted at 2017-5-11 09:09
As a Canadian, where did you get this information?  Transport Canada?  If it was the internet, what is the url?  Something about this smells fishy.

From Tranport Canada, for Commercial Purposes :

I have received emails from  service@tc.gc.ca
Here is the last response
Verbatim.
Good day Mr. Young
Regardless if the use is recreational or commercial all " foreign " operators must apply for an SFOC
To use their drones in Canada
I hope this answers your questions

That is exactly how it was written and sent to me.  
  No time for me to apply and I'm not really sure it's worth it.  
  So sad
2017-5-20
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

Capo Posted at 2017-5-11 07:29

I have received emails from service@tc.gc.ca.
Here is the response verbatim
Good day My Young
Regardless if the use is recreational or commercial all " foreign " operators must apply for an SFOC
To use their drones in Canada
I hope this answers your questions

So there is is.
I'll have to go with that !!!!   not sure the SFOC is worth the hassle.  
2017-5-20
Use props
fansc62380a9
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-12 05:04
"Some say on the forum that I have to have the SFOC to fly  ( NON Recreational. ). Some say Otherwise  
  I must say there are a lot of contradicting answers.   "

Hi Labroides.   Send an email to    Service@tc.gc.ca.     
Tell them you are  a ( non resident of Canada ).
Ask the ?  
Do I as a non resident of Canada need an SFOC certificate to fly my drone
Recreationally. And does SFOC apply to commercial  use as well
I have received their responce twice.   
BTW. I did mention the weight of my P 4.  
2017-5-20
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

fansc62380a9 Posted at 2017-5-20 05:05
I have received emails from   
Here is the last response
Verbatim.

I don't get it.  I searched the Transport site and all I can find is the use for commercial for non-residents.  As I said before, there is something fishy here.  Come on up to Canada, bring your drone.  Expect the usual questions, about firearms, drugs, money, poutine, etc.  And have a good time.  Just a note:  Transport Canada (TC) and the Canadian Boarder Services Agency (CBSA) are two different organizations.  To impress the CBSA officers, put a copy of the rules for flying a drone in Canada in your drone case :

(https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/docum ... rone_users_EN_2.pdf)
2017-5-20
Use props
Homer Simpson
lvl.4

Canada

Also insurance is required.
2017-5-20
Use props
Homer Simpson
lvl.4

Canada

Homer Simpson Posted at 2017-5-20 08:51

Also, if you go to www.maac.ca they give you more info about flying drones and rules. They sent us updated rules about a month ago regarding drones, and flying them elsewhere.
2017-5-20
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Homer Simpson Posted at 2017-5-20 08:51

Where did you find this?  Insurance for commercial use, not recreational !

Seriously, please show me the web page where it states that insurance is required for recreational use in Canada !
2017-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansc62380a9 Posted at 2017-5-20 07:04
Hi Labroides.   Send an email to    .     
Tell them you are  a ( non resident of Canada ).
Ask the ?  

You are getting the run around from someone that doesn't know what they are talking about or is confused about what you are asking.

Since they specifically mention requirements for foreigners wanting to fly commercially, don't you think they might say something about it on this page:  http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilavi ... safely-legally.html
... if it was also a requirement for foreign recreational flying?  
Especially since there are going to be 100 times more recreational flying foreigners than commercial users???

This page has all you need to know and applies equally to Canadians and foreigners:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilavi ... safely-legally.html
Just go up there and enjoy flying just like everyone else does.
2017-5-20
Use props
Homer Simpson
lvl.4

Canada

JW5255 Posted at 2017-5-20 13:25
Where did you find this?  Insurance for commercial use, not recreational !

Seriously, please show me the web page where it states that insurance is required for recreational use in Canada !

You look for it as I am battling $875 court  fines for this. And yes it is under MAAC.
2017-5-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Homer Simpson Posted at 2017-5-23 19:34
You look for it as I am battling $875 court  fines for this. And yes it is under MAAC.

What province are you in? This would never happen here in the Alberta Capital.

RedHotPoker
2017-5-23
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Homer Simpson Posted at 2017-5-23 19:34

That is not the way the court system works here in Canada.  If you are battling court fines, you are not in Canada.  Please stop spreading false information.  Oh, conglatulations on having no distance on your drone. Oh, wait a moment, you have no drone ! Oh, too, MAAC does not make the Rules and Regs for drone use in Canada.  Model Aeronautics Association Of Canada (MAAC) is a club, for model airplanes enthusiasts.  Their interest in recreational use of drones in Canada has, and is, suspect.
2017-5-24
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

JW5255 Posted at 2017-5-24 01:13
That is not the way the court system works here in Canada.  If you are battling court fines, you are not in Canada.  Please stop spreading false information.  Oh, conglatulations on having no distance on your drone. Oh, wait a moment, you have no drone ! Oh, too, MAAC does not make the Rules and Regs for drone use in Canada.  Model Aeronautics Association Of Canada (MAAC) is a club, for model airplanes enthusiasts.  Their interest in recreational use of drones in Canada has, and is, suspect.

Police here in Canada must really like Americans, We've been approached 4 times flying phantoms & have never been asked for insurance or any kind of "license to fly in Canada"
All they ask is "how far can you fly & can I try it"!
I;m speaking of recreational flying only here
2017-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules